Sign in to follow this  
The Great Wall Of Tettey

Releasing Of Players

Is anyone else getting worried about the size of our squad ?i no the team wasnt strong at the end of the season, but releasing 9 players (i think), aswell as 6 loans when we had an already weakend squad was a bit drastic !i think roeder should have had kept a few, or released them once we had found replacements. he probobly already has replacements lined up, but it would make me feel alot better knowing we had a squad ! anybody feel the same ?

[quote user="DevyBoy"]Is anyone else getting worried about the size of our squad ?

i no the team wasnt strong at the end of the season, but releasing 9 players (i think), aswell as 6 loans when we had an already weakend squad was a bit drastic !

i think roeder should have had kept a few, or released them once we had found replacements.

he probobly already has replacements lined up, but it would make me feel alot better knowing we had a squad !

anybody feel the same ?

[/quote]

Huckerby aside, non of the players released were good enough, IMO.

[quote user="ryank"]

[quote user="DevyBoy"]Is anyone else getting worried about the size of our squad ?

i no the team wasnt strong at the end of the season, but releasing 9 players (i think), aswell as 6 loans when we had an already weakend squad was a bit drastic !

i think roeder should have had kept a few, or released them once we had found replacements.

he probobly already has replacements lined up, but it would make me feel alot better knowing we had a squad !

anybody feel the same ?

[/quote]

[/quote]

thats besides the point.. bodies in squad etc... when u havent got the money to sign replacements its a fools game releasing youngsters!

Its the reason Lappins still here... hell get a few games next season...

jas :)

We released them because their contracts were up and Roeder didn''t think they were good enough, they would have left on July 1st anyway... You don''t offer new contracts to players if they aren''t good enough and you will just replace them anyway.

Welcome to the forum, DevyBoy.

I don''t think anyone begrudges the players that Roeder allowed to leave, with perhaps the occasional dissenter about Hucks. I think when it came down to it, they just weren''t good enough. However I think everyone''s praying that more new faces will arrive soon.

If asked, I''m sure everyone would tell you they''d rather have a good squad than a large squad. But the Championship is a marathon rather than a sprint and you need that all important balance to make sure that we can still perform despite injuries.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="ryank"]

anybody feel the same ?

[/quote]

[/quote]

thats besides the point.. bodies in squad etc... when u havent got the money to sign replacements its a fools game releasing youngsters!

[/quote]

Good, I rate Lappin against less physical teams. Although with Pattison, Hoolohan, Bertrand, Drury and Eagle, I dont think that you can claim that we dont have depth on the left hand side and its hard to see where he will get a game.  None of the nine released at the end of the season, except Huckerby, justified a starting place. I was particularly pleased to see the departure of the Jarvis brothers. Halliday is maybe one that could have stayed as backup centre back, but if we go and sign one before the season starts, then would it really have made sense to sign him up for another year?

[quote user="ryank"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="ryank"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good, I rate Lappin against less physical teams. Although with Pattison, Hoolohan, Bertrand, Drury and Eagle, I dont think that you can claim that we dont have depth on the left hand side and its hard to see where he will get a game.  [/quote]

Agree on Lappin. Think it''s madness to get rid - or rather tell him he''s not needed when we are so depleted and he says he wants to play for Norwich. Granted, his side of the field is well covered but there will be injuries - there always are. I would certainly have him on the bench from time to time - if nothing else it could encourage interest from others if he really is surplus to requirements. I like his touch on the ball and he''s OK with dead ball situations too.

I have no problems with any of the players we released, including Huckerby, who did nothing last season to earn a new contract. He should have been given the send-off he deserved at Hillsborough, but I think Roeder made the right decision to start again with Hoolahan.Definitely be nice to see some replacements in, though. Any loans are obviously going to come very late, once the Prem teams see who they have, so for that reason apart from anything else we need to get some bodies in sharpish.

Its not just the size of the squad its the fact that we are so un balanced.

We''ve got no defensive cover for injuries or suspension, only ONE striker who played regualrly last season, virtually nobody has a scoring record to talk about and yet we have enough midfielders for two teams. What the hell are we going to do!

What is the point of having squad members here if GR didnt think they were better than the loanees from the prem clubs.

Its better for them and us if they leave. If they are really as good as they think they will do well elsewhere.

Let me just say this............. of all the players we have released for free over the last 3 years who has gone on to have a successful career elsewhere?

I cant think of anyone.