Sign in to follow this  
Hcuk

Roberts and Crichton to leave

Just had a message from City,

Roberts and Crichton to leave at the end of season when contracts expire!!

How sure are you of this info. Is it insider information or is it going to be made known to the fans before saturday. I would have liked to see Robbo move upstairs, but thats life.

I''m this sure:

http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/Story.asp?Brand=PINKUNonline&Category=Norwich&ItemId=NOED29+Apr+2004+09%3A58%3A15%3A740

All the best big man. Hopefully a year a two at Colchester or similar before coming back as a youth coach.

Thanks for some good times

I think the big fella will head off somewhere to gain valuable experience in a coaching capacity and hence we will see him return in some form as a coach to either the youth team or assistant coach to the reserves or full team. I certainly do not believe we will have seen the last of him and the man is too experienced and knowledgeable for the club not to capitalise. Maybe it is me just being sentimental but I''m looking at this as a loan by the club to his future employers for a while. All the best Big Man and see you back whenever.

I''ve just taken some time out to imagine what a mixed bag of emotions Iwan must be feeling right now. What with the euphoria of gaining promotion, so sweet when contrasted with the heartache of Cardiff, and now the realisation that his future lies (at least for now), in all probability, away from somewhere he loves. These are the times when I realise that being a professional sportsman or woman is tough in more ways than one, and it''s also when I remind myself that all of our heroes are, first and foremost, human beings and deserve our empathy.
Iwan definitely has mine.

Outside my window it is pouring with rain. Even the weather seems to be reflecting how all of us will feel at saying goodbye to Iwan, but the pragmatist in me is saying that the sun will shine again...if not today, then soon, and we probably know in our heart of hearts that it is the right time for him to move on, especially if he is harbouring thoughts of another season or two before retiring, and time for the club to move on in our quest to stay in the Premiership.

For all that he has done in the years he has served this club a simple ''thank you'' doesn''t seem adequate, and it isn''t. On Saturday against Preston I now suspect the party will be an even bigger and more emotional affair as many of us will have to say our goodbyes in person then as we cannot make the trips north next week. (Cue more waterproof mascara for me and a pocketful of tissues!)

I''d like to think that Iwan will one day return to Norfolk, assuming of course that he will decide to leave in the immediate future. There will always be a massive welcome for him at FCR and I''m sure we would all want to wish him and his family the very best of luck wherever life takes him and them.

I am gutted by this. I know he was old and slow and this was inevitable as the Premiership would have been too much but it is a sad day.

Legend is not too strong a word to word to use and he is a top bloke as well. I hope he is successful in whatever he does next. He won''t be short of offers.

It does make Saturday extra special as well.

I understand that sheff wed are interested, or a possible move home to wales or even America, Colchester''s interest seems to have faded. Very sad day to see the big man go, lets hope he leaves with a championship winners medal

Gutted. Wasn''t expecting this news so soon. Good luck Iwan and Paul, because although he''s been sitting on the bench these past 3 years and we haven''t seen much of him he could probably quite easily of been playing 1st team football somewhere else. Hope they both get to make an appearance at the Crewe game.

Utterly utterly gutted, I knew it was coming but it is still very sad. The big man has kept this club afloat through our dark times, it will be strange not seeing him around the place, he must get on and score on Saturday! Thanks Iwan.

Will be very very sad to see Iwan go. I think we all knew that this was inevitable but it still comes as a shock. Good luck Iwan wherever you go from here. You will always be welcomed back at CR.
IWAN! IWAN! IWAN!

Iwan is a realist I''m sure, and so is Nigel, it is us that sometimes wear the rose tinted specs! I''m sure the big man still wants to play, it''s just that the premiership was never on. I hope he follows his "dream" and goes to the States. As someone who watches MLS, it''s an up and coming league and Iwan would shine and would teach their young players a few things about leading the line, holding the ball up etc. I for one would never have liked to see him termed as an "old has been" by scathing pundits. So thanks Iwan, we''ll never forget, I still think you have a lot to offer the game so get out there and educate a few defenders in another league what its like to play against a REAL No.9.

Mike Walker made some great signings, and big Iwan was one of them!

He has been here through thick and thin and will always have a special place in the hearts of Canary fans. Good luck Iwan and hope you return one day!

Good luck also to Paul Crichton. He seems a really nice chap and when he has been called upon he did a really professioanl job.

All the best Paul and Iwan!

I cant believe Iwans going! NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Well said Susie, and everyone. That man has got my utmost respect and like most people Im gutted hes going. That goal at Cardiff to put us up 1 -0 just one of the highlights. I know there was specualtion he might have left us anyway, but it would have been good if he could have had his last season in the Premiership. That said, we have newer faces and a progessing team. Really glad I am coming up for the Preston game, its going to be a mixed bag! Mainly though, I think Iwan will relish the moment and the success of the team and at least he knows how much he meant to some Canary fans.

Perhaps Crichton will get a good run out at another team. Joe Lewis number 2 keeper?

Come on you yellows, and all the best to Iwan and Paul.

If there was one player that got us through the bad times and into the good, then Iwan Roberts was that man. I''ll always remember how I felt when he scored in the play off final. It gave us the brief taste of what we''re feeling now, the hope that premiership football was really possible. I wish him all the best where ever he goes.

Really, really sorry to hear this. Robbo more than anyone has kept us in contention over the past few seasons and saved us from even worse during the dark years.
All the very best and maybe we will see him back at the club in some capacity soon.

Here''s to Iwan, whereever you go I hope you enjoy it. Maybe we''ll see you again someday as a coach, I hope so anyway. It''s rare to see such a nice bloke in the game, I''ve meet the big man a couple of times and he''s always been completely levelled and down to Earth. Definitley not aloof or arrogant in any way.
Iwan''s one of us and is welcome at our house for a cuppa any day of the week.

Well said Susie B - the man deserves a truly emotional send off on Saturday - I am sure he will get it. The man does fit the Legend tag...

However amongst the sadness I also think this is good news - it shows that Worthy is already advanced in planning for next season and that he has a clear idea of what sort of squad will be needed to survive. Without a doubt we will be buying a new striker - we need 4 so is this Crouches invitation? - and now a covering keeper.

OTBC -

As much as the man is a legend and a fantastic servant to the club, Worthy is right to let Iwan go now. He goes out on a high rather than being criticised for not cutting the mustard at a higher level, much better for him and us all round really. Plus it gives us the chance to say goodbye properly in the last 3 games. Don''t stop there though Worthy, Easton and Rivers need to move onto pastures new in time for you to bring some quality in this summer.

If it wasn''t for Iwan we would have been relegated to the 2nd Division years ago. He has been an incredible servant to the club and is right up there with some of our legendary players. A great bloke who has always given 110%. Let''s hope he gives his new club as much joy as he''s given us. Good luck Iwan, you deserve it.

although I know that supporters are the only real permanents at a football club,some players become like one of the family and Iwan fits into this category. let''s hope he can secure 2 or 3 more years of regular first team football at another successful, happy club.

Rick Waghorn always seems to manage to put into words what I cannot.

"A chapter of legend is coming to a close"

It just isn''t going to be the same.

Anyone know of a young Premiership quality striker on a free who happens to be missing his front teeth?