Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Roeders Wage Cap

We all know that there is an 8k a week wage cap in place.

Is this deterring players from coming to the club?

footballers are a greedy bunch, i dont think theres anyone who can disagree with that, and the doc was quibbling over a "paltry" £1000. Whilst we shouldnt be paying players too much money for sod all effort (E G Ashely cole at Chelski) we should be at least competing with our rivals in this division.

Has the cap been put in place the board, trying to keep the wolves from the door (hence the release of Hucks... and the back room boys)? Or has Roeder set the cap meaning he only wants players who want to be here at the club.. rather than an overpayed ponce who only wants to flaunt his pay check at the nearest thick-as-sh*t Bimbo in Mercy?

I cant answer those questions.. what i do know is we are failing to attract players here, we arent paying transfer fees... but we arent exactly being smart and getting frees and Bosmans in either...

should we "scrap the cap"?

We need to compete before we end up with bargain basement rubbish (again)

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

We all know that there is an 8k a week wage cap in place.

[/quote]

Do we? Cuz i would even suggest you do not know this.

Aren''t we? Why did Hoolahan and Clingan sign then?

We''ve signed the same number of players as most teams. I know we need more, but you and I don''t know how close we are to signing players, or whether we are "attracting" players.

[quote user="Stevee Wonder"]

Aren''t we? Why did Hoolahan and Clingan sign then?

We''ve signed the same number of players as most teams. I know we need more, but you and I don''t know how close we are to signing players, or whether we are "attracting" players.

[/quote]

we have singed 2 players.. i think you will find a lot of sides have signed more than that...

and we signed a player from league 1 and another from a tin pot side in this division who wasnt paid that much at Blackpool id bet....

Like i said.. we need to compete....

So..because he wasn''t paid much at Blackpool (which you don''t know), that means we''re not paying him much either? is that what your trying yo say. I just don''t see your point. Other teams were interested so we must have been competing on wages with them.

2 players.. i think you will find a lot of sides have signed more than that...

and we signed a player from league 1 and another from a tin pot side

in this division who wasnt paid that much at Blackpool id bet....

[/quote]

Without wishing to nit-pick, Forest are now a Championship team, not League 1 any more...

[quote user="Stevee Wonder"]Other teams were interested so we must have been competing on wages with them.[/quote]how do you know that? (media rumours?)[;)]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

2 players.. i think you will find a lot of sides have signed more than that...

and we signed a player from league 1 and another from a tin pot side in this division who wasnt paid that much at Blackpool id bet....

[/quote]

Without wishing to nit-pick, Forest are now a Championship team, not League 1 any more...
[/quote]

and one that have signed Cole and Earnie... it all boils down to that word "compete" again....

and steevee... we could structure a deal based on appearences, golas, pormotion etc.. if the players never play the games, never score the goals and the club never gets promoted the money never gets paid.. club cant lose... if the players do perform and the club go up players get paid.. club cant lose....

hope tjat makes it easier to understand what im trying to get at.

[quote user="king canary"]Jas the 8k wage cap is not a fact its a rumour. Surely by now we can all tell the difference?[/quote]

Apparently not.

and one that have signed Cole and Earnie... it all boils down to that word "compete" again....

[/quote]

Calderwood was also keen to hang onto Clingan but ultimately failed in

the face of interest from Norwich City... We also snatched Hoolihan

from under the noses of many other clubs... Not a great number of

signings and we definitely need more, but I''d say that the two

permanents we have made were pretty competitive...

I''m still waiting for tomorrow, I reckon something''s going to be let out of the bag.....

I bet if there is an 8k wage cap its Doncasters'' doing and not Roeders!

8k is what Fozzy is on, and we got the Doc on his new deal to take a pay cut. 9k to 7k. iirc, cant find the story.  It was widely thought at the time that 8k was our wage cap, but I can''t remember if that was stated or if summised from not being willing to pay the doc more.

I would submit that it is in NCFC''s best interests to appear skint. Whether the 8k cap is true or not, it did work in getting Dohery to sign for less.  While we have signed only two, how many players can we say would have ratther signed for us but didn''t because of money?  Do we know, for certain, that we lost people only because of wages?  We lose people every year because of geography, but who does it serve by making people think we''re skint?  It serves ourselves in that we aren''t held for ransom by clubs when we do apprach players we really want.

I would submit that we really do have some cash, and the fact that Ameobi hasn''t signed elsewhere would indicate that we''re at least in the ballpark. I would also submit that some of the supposed "signings" have not occurred because some players might not want to play for Glen Roeder.  He is a notorious ball-breaker and some can handle that and some can''t.

Has Rasiak signed elsewhere?  How about Sibierski?  Evans?  How many of these rumoured striker signings have actually fallen through?  For a "Family Team" such as Norwich, this board is populated by some of the biggest curmudgeons and doom-mongers out there.  Sure, things aren''t great right now result-wise, but they could be a whole lot worse.  And most of what people here complain about is just sheer speculation.  Until someone within the club comes out and says we have zero transfer budget and can only take on free''s, then I will reserve judgement, and so should the lot of you. 

If this is true then i am sure that this will prevent us from signing players, Yes Jas footballers are a greedy bunch, but i am sure you would do the same if you had the chance. As i have said before 8k may seem like a lot of money but when you take the figures and work out what a footballer needs to have saved to allow himself to live off for the 20 years or so before he can start to live off his pension, If it is true regarding a 8k a week cap then i think that would work against us when signing players as i am sure many other clubs are willing to reward players with higher wages. Just my opinion of course!

Macca

[quote user="Disappointing news Dave"]

£416,000 grand a year + bonuses is plenty for a  footballer playing in the second tier of English football, nowhere near the top of their profession.

[/quote]

And John Terry etc earn that in 3.5 weeks, fair?

Its easy, If a football club wishes to have a Cap on wages then you have to expect players not to want to play for the club, as in every business it boils down to supply and demand...Its not rocket science

Macca

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]

I would submit that it is in NCFC''s best interests to appear skint. Whether the 8k cap is true or not, it did work in getting Dohery to sign for less.  While we have signed only two, how many players can we say would have ratther signed for us but didn''t because of money?  Do we know, for certain, that we lost people only because of wages?  We lose people every year because of geography, but who does it serve by making people think we''re skint?  It serves ourselves in that we aren''t held for ransom by clubs when we do apprach players we really want.

I would submit that we really do have some cash, and the fact that Ameobi hasn''t signed elsewhere would indicate that we''re at least in the ballpark. I would also submit that some of the supposed "signings" have not occurred because some players might not want to play for Glen Roeder.  He is a notorious ball-breaker and some can handle that and some can''t.

Has Rasiak signed elsewhere?  How about Sibierski?  Evans?  How many of these rumoured striker signings have actually fallen through?  For a "Family Team" such as Norwich, this board is populated by some of the biggest curmudgeons and doom-mongers out there.  Sure, things aren''t great right now result-wise, but they could be a whole lot worse.  And most of what people here complain about is just sheer speculation.  Until someone within the club comes out and says we have zero transfer budget and can only take on free''s, then I will reserve judgement, and so should the lot of you. 

[/quote]Absolutely SPOT ON. Fantastic post . [Y]

[quote user="Neil_MacLeod"]If this is true then i am sure that this will prevent us from signing players, Yes Jas footballers are a greedy bunch, but i am sure you would do the same if you had the chance. As i have said before 8k may seem like a lot of money but when you take the figures and work out what a footballer needs to have saved to allow himself to live off for the 20 years or so before he can start to live off his pension, If it is true regarding a 8k a week cap then i think that would work against us when signing players as i am sure many other clubs are willing to reward players with higher wages. Just my opinion of course!

Macca[/quote]Yes, I can see how having to live off the pittance of about 200k a year for those 20 years before pension age could be a real hardship for most people....

Well spotted Neil, apols for the miscalculation.Being fair, even after Tax and NI, 8k a week is still approx 200k per year in actual "take home" cash, so over an average career of 15 years, this would earn the player 3 million.Even if they spent half of this during that time, that would still mean having at least 75k per year available during those 20 or so years - for doing nothing... hardly a poor wage is it?

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]They all earn far too much money in my mind. 8k a week is enough.[/quote]

As i said in my previous post, Its supply and demand, Like you would turn down a wage increase...Its human nature my friend.

Macca