Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Thompson set for Norwich?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Salahuddin"]Come on guys, where''s the Care in the Community spirit gone?[/quote]
It disappeared when my football went over the fence into Wiz''s garden and I''ve never been able to get it back :)
[/quote]

Here you can have mine, I''m fast losing hope of ever seeing a decent game again lol [;)]

[quote user="ncfclad"]

Wizard your comments are pathetic.

Lets just look at his goal record and watch his video on youtube of his goals.

I know its a different league but his ability in front of goal looks excellent. Most players usually comes from a lower league team or team outside England.

Better than Cureton - Probably and youngerBetter than Martin - YesBetter than Noone - YesBetter than Noone - Yes

In fact we would be very lucky to get him at the price being asked for as if he was playing in England you wont get him for less than £1m. Also I think someone else will buy him, probably Palace.

[/quote]When did we sign the Noone twins? Are they both Strikers? [:P] Sorry..... I''ve just watched the Thompson vid and think he''s definately worth a punt! He certainly knows where the goal is!

[quote user="Dictator Smith"]This is hardly the type of signing Roeder was promising and its sad to see Norwich fans getting excited over somebody who plays at such a low level , the club really have got most of you brainwashed .If Ipswich were after him you would all be laughing at them , nothing other than a desperation signing because he''s cheaper than dirt .
[/quote]

i''m not brainwashed at all, i''m of the opinion he has scored a lot of goals in Irish football and for the price is worth a gamble, he may not make the step up but he may also succeed and at that kind of price could be an absolute bargain, nobody knows whether he can step up, not himself, not me, not you and not even people who see him every week but after what Reading and other clubs have done over recent years i think its worth paying what little money he will cost to give him a go. I''m sure Roeder and the club wouldnt be stupid enough to rely totally on his signing to get us goals as its unclear whether he will step up and i''m confident they''ll bring in other strikers either on permanent deals or if needs must another loan or 2.

I''m fed up of Norwich fans slating players before they''ve even pulled on the city shirt, it doesnt matter whether he has come from the English Premiershi, the conference or the irish league, there have been great signings from all levels as have there been poor signings.

There really is only one way to solve this once and for all.... find

him on CM/FM08, buy him, and see how he fares with a run in the team...

I tried on FM07 yesterday but I don''t think he''s on it...[:(]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Cheap, Linfield, Stockport County and Us.

Thats all you really need to know![:|]

[/quote]

Wiz, Reading got an unknown player from Cork, a certain Kevin Doyle. I can remember people saying we should look out for platers like that.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]There really is only one way to solve this once and for all.... find

him on CM/FM08, buy him, and see how he fares with a run in the team...

I tried on FM07 yesterday but I don''t think he''s on it...[:(] [/quote]Hee-hee!![:D]

He is on FM08 if you select the N.Irish leagues. Unfortunately he is not very impressive, a League 1 striker at best. (I must admit I always check FM when we are linked with players!)

As an Irish citizen can I point out that while the Irish league set up is very poor this does not necessarily mean that the players are poor as well.  There is no money for soccer in Ireland because it is a minority sport - GAA dominates everything.  But it has a long history of producing young players who do very well over here - there are just no opportunities for them to "step up" in Ireland.  To that extent it is, of course, a "risk" but fees are not high and I don''t think it is any more of a risk that giving someone a chance from League 2 or even League 1. Norwich have only recently appointed an Irish scout (Mr Roeder''s doing, I believe) which is why you may now be taking more of an interest in that region.

The fact we are slugging it out with Stockport for his signature just about says it all .

I would be happy to see him here, 1. Its a signing and a striker at last! and 2. For a small outlay it''s hardly a major risk.

So no longer just paper talk, this from the Linfield manager:

“A move may be imminent and I have to look at how Peter would approach the game.

“Norwich City have made contact for the first time and Stockport have put their offer in writing,” Jeffrey confirmed to the Belfast Telegraph last night.

“They are both very good offers, they are now with the chairman and will be discussed by the board before any decision is made.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]I would be happy to see him here, 1. Its a signing and a striker at last! and 2. For a small outlay it''s hardly a major risk.[/quote]

Exactly but we still need a proven player up alongside him

If we sign him, then give him our support, end of.  We judge Roeder by his signings and available budget.  If we sign him as our frontline striker then that is probably going to raise a few eyebrows, however if he is 1 of 4/5 strikers, maybe second or third change then fantastic.  If he is only 1 of few signings on a very small budget come the end of August, then it goes back to the board, where is the money and why are you not talking Cullum etc etc.  But if it happens give him a chance which at the end of the day I think everyone will.

It is a no brainer for me.

I cant believe that there are people who are not happy with this - what have we got to lose for around 150k.

He has scored more than 1 in every 2 games for the last 5 years, in a league probably equivilent to league 1, in my opinion he looks a class act.

how did that goal machine get on at sunderland? donavon or something

or that great irish stopper at reading was it bennett?

irish players very hit or miss, for the fee its worth the risk to try and be the next irish star but i really hope you have an actual tested striker in the pipeline to sign as well incase this bloke doesnt hit it off.

on paper he looks good but time will tell

the top teams prob the equivalent of league 1

the teams beneath 3rd are probably more like blue square premier mate

Would have been a no brainer if we had 3 very good strikers already on the books , trouble is we dont have a decent striker at the club and should really be signing first team starters not part timers.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]BUT we''ve seen successes... Kevin Doyle springs to mind.[/quote]

certainly but we also seen dissopointments in that chap who signed for sunderland for 150k and reading the year before in bennett for 100k

[quote user="Dictator Smith"]Would have been a no brainer if we had 3 very good strikers already on the books , trouble is we dont have a decent striker at the club and should really be signing first team starters not part timers.
[/quote]

Thompson is actually a full-time player.

He is an absolute class player, I have seen him play many times and he will definately be a threat in the championship.

His profile is below.

www.linfieldfc.com  thay have a better model for the replica kit then NCFC

Peter Thompson

Dob :2nd May 1984
Position :Centre Forward
Joined Linfield :01/09/2001
Previous Clubs :
Shirt Number :17

Player Notes
‘Pistol Pete’ scored 27 goals for Linfield in 2004/05 having played 50 games. He was the club’s top scorer and was the last player to score for Linfield in 2004/05, scoring the second goal in the 2-0 win over Shelbourne. This goal incidentally was the 900th scored under David Jeffrey’s management.

2005/06 was an incredible season for Peter. He scored 48 goals (top scorer) in 58 games, including both goals in the Irish Cup Final which Linfield won 2-1 against Glentoran.

Peter signed a new 3 year full time contract on 26 May 2005.

On 3 February 2007, Peter scored his 100th Linfield goal in the 5-1 win at Dungannon Swifts. He reached the landmark in his 164th game.

Peter Thompson played his 200th game against Lisburn Distillery at home on November 3 2007

LINFIELD CAREER RECORD
(at end of 2006/07):

Played: 184 (inc. 31 as sub)
Goals: 108

Spoke to my Glentoran supporting mate who after calling him some obscenities, claims he is a class player in the Northern Irish league but may struggle to make the step up. He also was under the impression he is off to Hibs.

He did stress however, that comparisons to Doyle would be unfair because the Southern Irish (where KD came from) league is MUCH stronger than the Northern. I think if you look back, you will struggle to find many players who have made the step from Northern Irish league to the top 2 English divisions. I can only really recall Glenn Little doing this, but I know there''s a lot of clever boys on here; prove me wrong!

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Why start another thread when one''s already open?[/quote]Perhaps he hasn''t found the ''reply'' button yet, or maybe he feels his posts will have more impact if he starts new threads!

At 100K definitely wortha  punt but I would hope he will be added to our squad in addition to our main striker targets and not instead of them!

[quote user="Larry David"]

Spoke to my Glentoran supporting mate who after calling him some obscenities, claims he is a class player in the Northern Irish league but may struggle to make the step up. He also was under the impression he is off to Hibs.

He did stress however, that comparisons to Doyle would be unfair because the Southern Irish (where KD came from) league is MUCH stronger than the Northern. I think if you look back, you will struggle to find many players who have made the step from Northern Irish league to the top 2 English divisions. I can only really recall Glenn Little doing this, but I know there''s a lot of clever boys on here; prove me wrong!

[/quote]

Among NI players who have at least managed the step up are David Healy (Killyleagh FC to Man U), Damien Johnson (Portadown to Blackburn) and of an earlier era: some bloke called Pat Jennings (Newry to Watford), Martin O''Neill (Distillery to Notts Forest), Danny Blanchflower (Glentoran to Barnsley), probably all a bit of a chance at the time.

Oh and some bloke called Nigel Worthington (Ballymena to Notts County) although I''m not sure whether he actually made the step up.  I believe the jury is out on this in some quarters................

definatly looks a good idea ! 44 goals in season, even though it was in a lower standard of league, the face he knows where the goal is is always a good sign !

also good to see we have people like the goalkeeping coach able to recommend players !

Well as everyone gets excited about an unknown £150k Irish striker, it seems that Coventry are about to add Clinton Morrison to their recent signing of Eastwood.

I''m not saying Thompson isn''t worth a punt, but it worries me that everyone is so easily pleased by the possible signing of a player who will undoubtedly be a gamble a this level.