Sign in to follow this  
Delias Tasty Nibblets

Further Thompson confirmation

[quote user="colneycanary"]Someone said on here a little while ago that he wasn''t playing. Can anyone confirm if he is or isn''t playing?[/quote]He is on the bench, it was the manager''s decision to put him there since his ''mind might be elsewhere''.

[quote user="colneycanary"]Someone said on here a little while ago that he wasn''t playing. Can anyone confirm if he is or isn''t playing?[/quote]

Someone told us this morning that they thought Mr Gunn was in Ireland or due to be. 

the board are to consider both yours and stockports offers tomorrow,

surely he must choose us over them?!????

[quote user="No News Nicholas"][quote user="colneycanary"]Someone said on here a little while ago that he wasn''t playing. Can anyone confirm if he is or isn''t playing?[/quote]

He is on the bench, it was the manager''s decision to put him there since his ''mind might be elsewhere''.
[/quote]

Wouldn''t matter. On what I''ve seen the Linfield forwards arn''t going to see any ball at all.

Do you think Worthy will take him on another of his famous whistlestop tours of Norfolk to try and entice him to come here? [:P]

I am pretty sure for all his faults Worthy would put in a good word for Norwich and us fans, even if it was only to tell the lad we are a great stepping stone to better things.

[quote user="jimbob"]I am pretty sure for all his faults Worthy would put in a good word for Norwich and us fans, even if it was only to tell the lad we are a great stepping stone to better things.[/quote]

We''ve spoken to NW several times since he left you and he''s always spoken well of your club (and the fans, believe it or not).  It wasn''t a buttering up exercise either - he had regrets about what happened "but I had some wonderful times there.  It''s a fine club."

Thompson''s just come on to a standing ovation from the Linfield fans who were chanting his name. They obviously like him. A few scouts there tonight though it sems. It just homed in on the Kilmarnock manager Jim Jefferies too.

The Linfield manager''s just been interviewed on Sky Sports and was asked if Thompson is going and he said, "I''ll tell you at 11 o''clock tomorrow morning when the board meet. Norwich and Stockport have both came in for him..."

He later confirmed that bids had been received so that surely means we must have made a concrete bid for him. I know we kind of knew this already but this more or less confirms it. Looks like a two horse race between us and... Stockport!

[quote user="canaryjock"]

The Linfield manager''s just been interviewed on Sky Sports and was asked if Thompson is going and he said, "I''ll tell you at 11 o''clock tomorrow morning when the board meet. Norwich and Stockport have both came in for him..."

He later confirmed that bids had been received so that surely means we must have made a concrete bid for him. I know we kind of knew this already but this more or less confirms it. Looks like a two horse race between us and... Stockport!

[/quote]

Stockport ?  Whew gonna be tough outbidding them !

[quote user="canaryjock"]

[/quote]

If we lose out to Stockport I think Doncaster and Delia should resign..................... and Im completely serious.

[quote user="SnakepitTopWizard"]

There were scouts from Kilmarnock, Hibernian and Aberdeen were also there.

Surely we are the biggest club out of them lot?

[/quote]

Not sure a team in the championship like us are bigger than Aberdeen who''ve won a European trophy and drew with Bayern Munich in the UEFA Cup last season but that''s a debate for another day.

Reports suggest that we''ve already outbid Stockport so I''d like to think this is a done deal though Linfield are expecting a further bid from Stockport to at least match ours so we''ll need to wait and see. I''d suggest that by tomorrow lunchtime us and Stockport will probably not be the only two teams who have made bids so it''s not over yet...

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="canaryjock"]

[/quote]

If we lose out to Stockport I think Doncaster and Delia should resign..................... and Im completely serious.

[/quote]

But is that not the sort of thing that would happen to us...We always lose out.

Difficult to guage what he is like over 15 mins, but he does seem to have a deceptive turn of pace.  He looks a strong player who isn''t afraid to take defenders on.  He reminded me a bit of Chris Sutton when he used to play up front.

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="canaryjock"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

According to the (Irish) Daily Star your negotiator is some bloke called Gunny.  Is he any good at sweet talking? (we know he''s a smashing chap personally).

I have some reservations about this, however, as the email this morning (Web Team Pete: It''s only a PARTIAL email) began: "According to the  Donkeys (this is a code name) Gunn from Norwich is in Ireland to broker a deal with Pistol Pete.Can you check this out?"

You didn''t say much except to confirm an interest in Pistol Pete "but we never comment on negotiations with any players."

Linfield Chairman: "At the moment we''ve had two offers, the first was from Stockport which was too low for us.  They have now increased their offer to us in writing but subsequently we have had a conversation with Norwich City who have also made an offer which we have asked them to put in writing and which they have said they will.  They have someone here to do so.  Also we had a call from Hibernian but we have not had an offer from them at this moment, nothing at all on the phone or in writing at this stage.  It was just asking if the player was available.

"We''ll not do anything hasty.  It''s clear he is going to go but we have to do the best  for us you know? So we will meet on Thursday and decide on it then.  It''s a great pity this end but it''s football life. He''s done wonderful for us but wherever he goes he''ll leave here with everyone''s best wishes and we''ll be looking to see how he gets on.   Now, what part of Ireland do you come from................

And...errrmmm....in the spirit of the thing DELIA OUT.  Not bothered about Doncaster.  There''s no money to be made out of him this end.

I suppose it will boil down to where he wants to play. He could probably get more money here, but I would say  he would get more games there and is likley to score more, then he could get a better move in the future. But can he turn doen the chance to play in front of 25000 each week? He shouldn''t.

[quote user="SnakepitTopWizard"]I bet that we would be in a better position now if we had kept Worthy and not sacked him, and even I was a Worthy outer like everyone else was.[/quote]

I doubt we''d have suffered as badly as we did under Peter Grant. In someways it was time for Worthy to move on but had he had the backing in the transfer market when he needed it then things probably would have been different.

He was a very good manager for us.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="SnakepitTopWizard"]I bet that we would be in a better position now if we had kept Worthy and not sacked him, and even I was a Worthy outer like everyone else was.[/quote]

I doubt we''d have suffered as badly as we did under Peter Grant. In someways it was time for Worthy to move on but had he had the backing in the transfer market when he needed it then things probably would have been different.

He was a very good manager for us.

[/quote]

Agreed. But that''s the way with football managers - they either get poached by bigger clubs and the fans end up hating them  or the team has a bad spell and they get sacked - and the fans end up hating them.

With one or two of our chairs in the past, thay have been sacked before we have had a chance to hate them though - you could say they were the lucky ones!

Please tell me how exactly that could be. You don''t need me to tell you how the club was going down the pan under the said manager with the dressing room ''lost'' and the fans in open revolt.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Please tell me how exactly that could be. You don''t need me to tell you how the club was going down the pan under the said manager with the dressing room ''lost'' and the fans in open revolt.

[/quote]

Yes we were going down the pan, but Granty made it alot worse.