Sign in to follow this  
taintedtom2000

Thompson signs for stockport

It said that they have had a bid accepted, not that he has signed, well from what I read.

Stockport win race for Thompson

Linfield''s leading goalscorer Peter Thompson

Linfield''s leading goalscorer Peter Thompson has seven NI caps

Northern Ireland striker Peter Thompson is to join Stockport County after Irish League champions Linfield accepted a bid from the League One club.

Norwich City had also made an offer but Linfield said it had been unacceptable.

The exact fee has not been revealed but it is believed to be in the region of £100,000 plus add-ons.

Thompson, who has seven NI caps and was the Premier League''s top scorer last season, will now negotiate terms with the Edgeley Park outfit.

Thompson netted 44 times last season to help Linfield claim a third successive league and cup double.

A statement from Linfield said: "Peter has been an exemplary sportsman and ambassador for this club and his prolific goalscoring record bears favourable comparison with the greats of this club.

"Everyone at Linfield extends to Peter every best wish and hopes for success in his future playing career."

Linfield manager David Jeffrey had said on Tuesday that he was resigned to losing his top scorer.

"It would not be morally right to even think about standing in Peter''s way," said Jeffrey.

"He has served us fantastically well and was the first to turn full-time.

"He made a career decision then and wants to play at the highest level he possibly can and he is in the final year of his contract with us.

"It will leave us with a massive hole to try to fill but he goes with our blessing and the club wants to facilitate a smooth passage for him."

Jeffrey praised Stockport for the way they had handled the negotiations.

"They have been professional about it and the fact that their manager and chief executive broke off from a pre-season training trip in Italy to come to Belfast showed their desire for Peter," he added.

see also

NI boss keen to see Thompson move
08 Jul 08 |  Internationals

Jefferies rubbishes striker ''bid''
07 Jul 08 |  Kilmarnock

related internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Another striker we''ve shown interest in out the window... how we didn''t manage to get him for such little money I do not know...

It''s not over yet,how many times have we had bids accepted to miss out on the player,after what Worthy advised this morning if we seriously want the player we will get him.

There is nothing on Stockport''s official site yet, and I''d argue that the BBC story went up at 11:45am....just 45 min after the meeting of the Linfield board discussing the offers on the table.

That''s pretty quick to agree personal terms and have a medical.

If you read the story from the BBC there is nothing that says he has signed....only he is "set to join". Its just the headline and the tone that suggest he has, but nothing official from Stockport.

Would we be given the chance to match Stockport''s offer?

If we really want him I would imagine we will get him. He must be worth £100K to £200K if he is going to play for us. If he''s not worth that then what''s the point of going in for him?

I think we''re getting a little overheated here - £100K for a part-timer is a pretty high sum.    I''m not surprised that we''re not going to pay silly money for someone who would be a bit of a gamble....OK so he''d learn his trade but I''m hoping that we''ve got bigger fish to land than this bloke...

Doesn''t the player himself have a say in this? If he has made his mind up to come here then they can agree all they like. Players rule ok![;)]

Cue the lack of ambition crew...That said I think that might be a blessing in disguise. Who knows, he might be the next doyle.

[quote user="Mark Smith"]

Stockport''s official site are reporting the deal:

http://www.stockportcounty.premiumtv.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10419~1345972,00.html

They must be sure it''s going through then. Can''t imagine our own official site doing anything like that before the contract''s ink is dry though!

[/quote]

They still haven''t agreed personal terms so it gives us time if we do want to follow up our interest.

Apparently they''ve only had a bid accepted and he hasn''t agreed terms let alone medicals and then signing!I''m sure we''ll just up the bid... hopefully!

at 100k plus add on''s he has got to be worth the gamble.

Sorry but if we miss out on this one, I for one will be gutted.

Although not proven at this level, he clearly knows where the net is

Its not over yet, we could always improve our terms, remember McCourt according to the news he was practically signed by us, only for him to go to Celtic at the last minute.

Thompson is clearly another McCourt, a last minute punt just to see, he is clearly not a long term target and so presumably would be to add to the squad rather than become an integral part from the start.

[quote user="Mark Smith"]

Stockport''s official site are reporting the deal:

http://www.stockportcounty.premiumtv.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10419~1345972,00.html

They must be sure it''s going through then. Can''t imagine our own official site doing anything like that before the contract''s ink is dry though!

[/quote]

Deal agreed and deal signed are two different things...

[quote user="1st Wizard"]If this is true, then we''ve had a narrow escape.[/quote]

Had he cost £1 million i would agree. But, what would it be a "narrow escape" from?.. because it''s not like we''re wasting big money. Well worth a go for £150k.

Why dont we just take a gamble and put in a bid which is higher than Stockports? Its not that much to pay to be honest! Put a bid in now! Its not that hard .....

How can we be out bidded by Stockport any way ?

Sort it out !

every1 seems to think its a done deal !

i think its just an offer accepted, knowing norwich we probobly bidded 50,000 or something !

worth equaling the fee, any player would surely want to play championship level over league 1 ?

hurry up roeder !

It seems the ''opening'' bid from Stockport was 100K, so knowing Norwich also made a bid I am wondering if the 100K is lower than the actual total.  It could well be closer to 200K with addons for an unproven (in English football) player in the last year of his contract.  Also perhaps with the Bell transfer suddenly happening perhaps the money has been moved to cover that?[quote user="FozzyFan"]

every1 seems to think its a done deal !

i think its just an offer accepted, knowing norwich we probobly bidded 50,000 or something !

worth equaling the fee, any player would surely want to play championship level over league 1 ?

hurry up roeder !

[/quote]

Exactly. Just seems that the Linfield board are totally arsing the Stockport board by the comments of "how well Stockport have conducted themselves". We''ll up our bid, this will happen.

If signing Thompson is a genuine attempt to bring a strike force to Carrow Rd then we are completely buggered.

I suspect this is a ploy by GR to show an intent to purchase strikers at a low price in order to convince the current owners of the ''real'' targets that the offers made by GR are as good as they will get...ie, we''ll pay this much but we can''t afford a penny more ( If can''t have Shola for £1.8m + then we''ll get someone else for £250k approach )

Don''t forget that GR is very much a senior manager in terms of experience and influence...he does know what he''s doing I suspect!

Thompson, IMHO was never going to be a serious target ( perhaps a utility player for the future) If GR gets him ''on the cheap'' all well and good, if he doesn''t, the fact a bid was forwarded made the point it was supposed to. Wim/win.