Sign in to follow this  
Herb

Re. Cullum, let's not forget...

[quote user="Big Down Under"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Delia Smith talks Football on Simon Mayo - BBC Radio 5 Live Video[/quote]"We are sorry, this video is no longer available". [/quote]Sorry I hit post too early. I haven''t seen that video, but Baldwin covers it on the link above. From his article I believe the quote you are probably referring to is;"If somebody comes along and says ''I will put £20 million into Norwich

City Football Club on the playing side...'', not just on the day-to-day

scrabbling about trying to survive but on the playing side, I think

that the supporters wouldn''t forgive me if I turned it down, or Michael

and I turned it down."The key words here are surely ''not just'';

in other words, the £20 million for the playing side would need to be

on top of the funds needed for scrabbling about.
The analysis is from Kevin Baldwin, not me.

the word relinquish does not indicate whether they were willing to relinquish their shares for cash or for free and the words not if they buy our shares actually suggests that they were looking to sell their shares but just selling their shares is not suffecient so again it is down to how you decide to interpret the words

Mr Carrow you are once again just cutting out the bits that support what you want to believe. Now lets look at the WHOLE quote (freom Jan 2007 AGM) from that BBC link I gave you;

"Nobody

has ever come forward and said `I''ll give you this amount of money for

a seat on the board.` Nobody''s ever done it," she said.

"And if somebody offered Michael and I a large amount of money for our shares what''s that going to do?

"It''s going to give us a lot of money, but it''s not going to do anything for the club," she added.

Delia admitted she would consider selling up, but only if it was in the best long-term interests of Norwich City.

"The

only way we would relinquish our shares is if somebody''s going to put

invest in the football with serious money for the squad, and it has to

be someone honourable," she added.

"They

have to be people that we all think would be good custodians of this

football club, because we nearly lost it ten years ago and that''s a

possibility again if it''s not looked after properly and nurtured," she

added.

You can only back up your argument by twisting her words and selectively editing them.

Oh and I''m not labling Cullum as a bad guy. I have stated clearly I would love to have him in control of the club. I really hope that, when he liquidates more of his cash (he ''only'' has 60m remember) he will put in a proper bid for the club. You are trying to turn it into a black and white debate where you are either pro Delia or pro Cullum, I am neither, I am pro NCFC. Just because I call you up on your anti Delia bias doesn''t mean I have a pro Delia bias or an anti Cullum bias. I will leave that gang joining for the children.

[quote user="Big Down Under"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Delia Smith talks Football on Simon Mayo - BBC Radio 5 Live Video[/quote]
"We are sorry, this video is no longer available".
[/quote]

lol well I literally watched it just before I posted it, so why it''s saying that I have no idea.  Try this.

YouTube - Delia Smith talks Football on Simon Mayo - BBC Radio 5 Live

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="Big Down Under"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Delia Smith talks Football on Simon Mayo - BBC Radio 5 Live Video[/quote]"We are sorry, this video is no longer available". [/quote]

lol well I literally watched it just before I posted it, so why it''s saying that I have no idea.  Try this.

YouTube - Delia Smith talks Football on Simon Mayo - BBC Radio 5 Live

[/quote]"that video is not available in your country" Does it say anything that isn''t covered by the Kevin Baldin argument above?

[quote user="Big Down Under"]Oh and I''m not labling Cullum as a bad guy. I have stated clearly I would love to have him in control of the club. I really hope that, when he liquidates more of his cash (he ''only'' has 60m remember) he will put in a proper bid for the club. You are trying to turn it into a black and white debate where you are either pro Delia or pro Cullum, I am neither, I am pro NCFC. Just because I call you up on your anti Delia bias doesn''t mean I have a pro Delia bias or an anti Cullum bias. I will leave that gang joining for the children.
[/quote]

On another thread i stated that you were portraying Cullum as the bad guy and you responded with "Cullum IS the bad guy".  I`m really not into point-scoring but if you haven`t got the good grace to accept you posted it i`ll drag it up.

The quote i posted earlier is absolutely blatant and you and T are simply running round the houses trying to spin it a different way.  "....not if they buy our shares, we don`t want money".  Cullum offered exactly what Delia asked for but she can`t let it go and they have been proven to be populist lies.

[quote user="Big Down Under"][quote user="Big Down Under"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Delia Smith talks Football on Simon Mayo - BBC Radio 5 Live Video[/quote]
"We are sorry, this video is no longer available".
[/quote]
Sorry I hit post too early. I haven''t seen that video, but Baldwin covers it on the link above. From his article I believe the quote you are probably referring to is;

"If somebody comes along and says ''I will put £20 million into Norwich City Football Club on the playing side...'', not just on the day-to-day scrabbling about trying to survive but on the playing side, I think that the supporters wouldn''t forgive me if I turned it down, or Michael and I turned it down."

The key words here are surely ''not just''; in other words, the £20 million for the playing side would need to be on top of the funds needed for scrabbling about.

The analysis is from Kevin Baldwin, not me.
[/quote]

What here contradicts my argument?  And since when has K.Baldwin been the fount of all NCFC knowledge anyway?

[quote user="Big Down Under"]Mr Carrow you are once again just cutting out the bits that support what you want to believe. Now lets look at the WHOLE quote (freom Jan 2007 AGM) from that BBC link I gave you;

"Nobody has ever come forward and said `I''ll give you this amount of money for a seat on the board.` Nobody''s ever done it," she said.

"And if somebody offered Michael and I a large amount of money for our shares what''s that going to do?

"It''s going to give us a lot of money, but it''s not going to do anything for the club," she added.

Delia admitted she would consider selling up, but only if it was in the best long-term interests of Norwich City.

"The only way we would relinquish our shares is if somebody''s going to put invest in the football with serious money for the squad, and it has to be someone honourable," she added.

"They have to be people that we all think would be good custodians of this football club, because we nearly lost it ten years ago and that''s a possibility again if it''s not looked after properly and nurtured," she added.

You can only back up your argument by twisting her words and selectively editing them.
[/quote]

The quote i made is word-for-word from your link to the Baldwin article.  As the one above is from a short BBC summary of events i would suggest it is the one which has been edited.  Your last comment is wonderful coming from the boards master twister.  You are one of those people who is always right, even when your wrong.....

Mr C _ I can totally see that yours is a legitimate interpretation of the words but if you look at the other quotes they could also be interpreted in another way is all I''m saying.  There was never the direct confirmatory follow up question asked "so exactly what do you mean by that " or "so so you mean that you would give away shares/control for free". It is rather academic though as the NCFC statement following the PC story in they EDP is very unambiguous _ they are seeking 16m  for the money for the overall shares.

[quote user="T"]Mr C _ I can totally see that yours is a legitimate interpretation of the words but if you look at the other quotes they could also be interpreted in another way is all I''m saying.  There was never the direct confirmatory follow up question asked "so exactly what do you mean by that " or "so so you mean that you would give away shares/control for free". It is rather academic though as the NCFC statement following the PC story in they EDP is very unambiguous _ they are seeking 16m  for the money for the overall shares.[/quote]

Fair enough, certainly the abridged bbc version is more ambiguous, but the quote from Baldwins article is about as blatant as it`s possible to get.  ".....Only if they put money into the squad-not if they buy our shares, we don`t want money".  It`s not as if it`s an isolated quote either, she has constantly given the inpression that she is a benign benefactor and that the good of the club will always come first. 

I understand your last sentence but surely Cullum cannot be blamed for offering exactly what Delia asked for-even to the point of offering the exact figure she uses in the Radio 5 interview?

I think the confusion here is that the Baldwin quotes are what she said in response to questions during the AGM, whereas the bbc one is an interview with Tim Gudgin after the AGM.  They are different quotes (both accurate), not different versions of the same statements.

I don''t blame PC for his bid at all - a little bit cheeky to say the least maybe and never keen on using the press tactics but entirely legitimate. I have been keen for him to take over for a long while and still am as most people are. I can just understand that most people in Delia/MWJ position would refuse the reported PC offer if they are honest.

The more exciting stuff on the other threads indicates GR is adding better quality so hopefully we can compete for  top 6 but still going to be tough without the likes of PC to compete for automatic promotion with QPR and the 6 clubs with 12m additional parachute payments when gate receipts amount to some 7m.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]I think the confusion here is that the Baldwin quotes are what she said in response to questions during the AGM, whereas the bbc one is an interview with Tim Gudgin after the AGM.  They are different quotes (both accurate), not different versions of the same statements.[/quote]

Mr C, you are counting angels on a pin head with this one. There is no point picking through everything DS has said in the past, particlarly when fltered through the media, misquote and misinterpreted just so you can have a pop.

For the moment Cullum''s gone away........get over it.

Only the numpty army on this board expect DS to give away £9m worth of shares.

[quote]Mr C, you are counting angels on a pin head with this one. There is no point picking through everything DS has said in the past, particlarly when fltered through the media, misquote and misinterpreted just so you can have a pop.[/quote]

But if he stopped doing that BF, he''d have nothing left to say [:)]...

To be fair, Mr. C has made some decent points about off-pitch spending in the past, again though it''s down to interpretation as to whether something is neccesary.  This kind of debate never changes anything, it''ll just rage on until somebody gets bored first.   If there''s anything I''ve learnt from here it''s that you can''t change opinions.

Why do, you use, so many, commas?

It''s like reading a message that''s original spoken by William Shatner.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]I think the confusion here is that the Baldwin quotes are what she said in response to questions during the AGM, whereas the bbc one is an interview with Tim Gudgin after the AGM.  They are different quotes (both accurate), not different versions of the same statements.[/quote]Or the BBC version is just a fuller quote, it is still an interview with Delia. Sorry for jumping down your throat. But looking at the fuller quote, its quite plain that she wasn''t saying she would give her shares away. I have consistently said that I would support a formal bid from Cullum that includes provision for buying a majority shareholding. I have also said I''m not happy with his going public, especially the timing of his EDP quotes. As it happens it doesn''t seem to have affected the end result from Glen, who is doing an excellent job in the transfer market, and I''m delighted with the new players in.

I have also said I''m not happy with his going public, especially the timing of his EDP quotes. As it happens it doesn''t seem to have affected the end result from Glen, who is doing an excellent job in the transfer market, and I''m delighted with the new players in.

I DON''T BELIEVE I''M READING THIS, HOW MANY OF THESE RECENT SIGNINGS DO YOU HONESTLY THINK WE''D HAVE MADE WITHOUT PC GOING PUBLIC?

IT''S A WONDER WE AREN''T BEING SPONSORED BY A FAMOUS BOTTLED WATER COMPANY - YOU COULD HAVE ALL ADMIRED YOUR NEW SHIRTS IN THE MIRROR AND READ THE SPONSORS NAME BACKWARDS!

[quote user="Robornio"]

Why do, you use, so many, commas?

It''s like reading a message that''s original spoken by William Shatner.

[/quote]

If that''s addressed to me, it''s because I''ve just climbed 3 flights of stairs, and I''m out of breath.

[quote user="ruddster"]

HOW MANY OF THESE RECENT SIGNINGS DO YOU HONESTLY THINK WE''D HAVE MADE WITHOUT PC GOING PUBLIC?

[/quote]

All of them.......and the ones to come.[:P]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]Mr C, you are counting angels on a pin head with this one. There is no point picking through everything DS has said in the past, particlarly when fltered through the media, misquote and misinterpreted just so you can have a pop.[/quote]

To be fair, Mr. C has made some decent points about off-pitch spending in the past, again though it''s down to interpretation as to whether something is neccesary.  This kind of debate never changes anything, it''ll just rage on until somebody gets bored first.   If there''s anything I''ve learnt from here it''s that you can''t change opinions.

[/quote]

Of course you can, maybe its hard to change the opinion of the particular person you are debating with, but there are plenty of undecided lurkers about.

Personally Mr Carrow''s various posts played their part in changing my opinion of the board from apathy to dislike.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

Alot of people have changed their opinions in recent years.  I supported the board until the start of the first season back down when the player sales and pathetic replacements made me look more closely at what was going on.  Keith Roads "kept the faith" for longer than me but i now have to calm him down when he goes into one of his rants about Delia.  Richard Balls, Adam Aiken, John Tilson, "face" from NCISA who posts on here, have all been highly critical of the board in recent months.  These people are all more "in the loop" than most supporters who post on here, so maybe some people should consider that these people may have very valid reasons for their criticisms.

The board have undoubtedly made some big errors. Hiring Grant, state of the academy, questionable off field investments, the lack of foresight into how Premiership money would affect the Championship...But they don''t deserve some of the hysteria and BS that you see on here though. The club is financially stable, off field investments make profit for the club, we still own our own ground, we can afford our debt. Compared to many other clubs, we are at least stable. Most posters on here seem to have no clue as to the financial realities of the modern game, so much of the criticism comes from ignorance. Norwich has a good reputation, good facilities, we now have a good manager, who seems to be building a good and competitive squad. There is much to be thankful about as well as optimistic about.The main failure has been lack of competitiveness since relegation. Much of the complaining will stop if the team plays well this season.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"] Richard Balls, Adam Aiken, John Tilson, "face" from NCISA who posts on here, have all been highly critical of the board in recent months.  These people are all more "in the loop" than most supporters who post on here, so maybe some people should consider that these people may have very valid reasons for their criticisms.[/quote]

Oh come on Mr Carrow - every poster has valid reasons for believing what they do. It''s one thing to put across a point of view and argue your corner but it''s a totally different thing to hold up, what you believe to be an elite group of supporters, as some kind of proof. For every Richard Balls there''s a Rick Waghorn and for every Adam Aiken there''s a Mick Dennis.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

For every Richard Balls there''s a Rick Waghorn and for every Adam Aiken there''s a Mick Dennis.

[/quote]

And for all of them there''s a Dave from Lowestoft, whose random trajectory encompasses all of their opinions dependent on the cycles of the moon and what he had for breakfast - gawd bless ''im [:)]

Big Fish

It is you who is a "numpty"

No expects her to give away £9 million

We expect her and the other shareholders to dilute her shares to in return for £20 million pounds to spend on players

However as you pointed out he has gone away....thanks to our board

Many of us will not "get over it" and even if Glen who is making some great signings manages to get us promoted we will not be able to stay up without PC''s investment

The real danger is if results go against us then she will need to break more than a few eggs to get fans who are not as relaxed as you at losing £20 million pounds from demanding her removal. 

This I think is sad for a lady who many of us respected but who in the end failed to grab the best opportunity this club has ever had of getting back into the big time.

People still don''t seem to understand that financially the current shareholders would be far better of with the investment than without. 

Would you rather own 100% of a club with real financial issues in terms of financing a serious promotion challenge or 49% of a club with a real chance of promotion. 

I would also like the board supporters to answer the question of how much did it cost Delia to get control of the club and by this I mean cash not loans etc?

Why therefore does someone investing £20 million of cash not warrant having control of the club?

Last but not least why as a NCFC fans are we worried how the deal?

This club and our fans are too nice no other set of fans in the world would let the owners throw away a £20 million investment in the TEAM (not hotels etc) with the immortal words "get over it"

In the meantime lets keep our fingers crossed and hope we can have a decent season and PC is still around when we need him..............