Sign in to follow this  
ncfclad

31 days until the start of the season.

We probably need around another 7 signings I would say - (keeper, right back, 2 central defenders, 3 strikers/attacking mid)

So thats around two signings every week until the season starts.

We do seem to be leaving it late for the squad to train together, to gel and to play in the friendlies which start next Wednesday.

Nah we only need six, a keeper, a couple of centre backs, a right back and two strikers, three of them will be on loan I reckon, we need the permanents in by Aug 9th though, thats for sure.

Its a scary thought being compared with wiz, but I am not excepting another season in the middle of the table like I have done for the last few years. With 20,000 fans continuing to buy season tickets dispite the seasons we have had in the past, we have got to accept no less than a challenge in the top half nearer the playoffs.

If we had not renewed Doherty''s contract, sold Shackell for 1m, and then bought 2 centre backs would we still need two?

The reality is though ncfclad, without investment we will struggle to get there, apart from 3 seasons under Worthy we have been around the middle-bottom of the championship for around 10 years. I obviously want us to get up near the top, but some people have got to realise it is not a god-given right, and we haven''t been able to compete up there for sometime.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

If we had not renewed Doherty''s contract, sold Shackell for 1m, and then bought 2 centre backs would we still need two?

[/quote]''

no, and thats a pretty accurate way of looking at it in my book. the reason a lot of posters, including me, are still saying that we need to sign 2 centre backs is that we don''t have much confidence in these two. For me the Doc is better than Shackell, I am loath to encourage selling City players, but if the offer was 1 mill, all upfront, then we should have sold and got a better replacement.

You dont need money to be at the top end of this league as proven last season, but you need money when you get to the prem.

[quote user="ncfclad"]

You dont need money to be at the top end of this league as proven last season, but you need money when you get to the prem.

[/quote]

You need eithier one of three things

1. Money

2. Momentum

3. A lot of luck

Now seeing as Norwich at the moment don''t have the first two, i''m pinning my hopes on number three...

But you do need money ncfclad, Stoke proved it when they gambled towards the end of the season, the Baggies have spent a lot of money, and Hull spent plenty too. There will be clubs who are in and around there without spending much money, but they wont be able to compete every year. Obviously you need it to stay in the Prem, but it should not be disregarded in the Championship.

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]''

no, and thats a pretty accurate way of looking at it in my book. the reason a lot of posters, including me, are still saying that we need to sign 2 centre backs is that we don''t have much confidence in these two. For me the Doc is better than Shackell, I am loath to encourage selling City players, but if the offer was 1 mill, all upfront, then we should have sold and got a better replacement.

[/quote]

Absolutely, according to the club centre backs as good as Taylor come at £750K a shot.  Surely Glenn must have one lined up?

[quote user="ncfclad"]

[/quote]

Not true i''m afraid.  don''t be fooled by the names Stoke and Hull.  Both spent a lot of cash last season.

[quote user="Shangri-La"][quote user="ncfclad"]

[/quote]

You need eithier one of three things

1. Money

2. Momentum

3. A lot of luck

Now seeing as Norwich at the moment don''t have the first two, i''m pinning my hopes on number three...

[/quote]

Hope your right, but recent experience suggests the season is more likely to have somewhat of a wiff of number 2 about it [+o(]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="ncfclad"]

[/quote]

Not true i''m afraid.  don''t be fooled by the names Stoke and Hull.  Both spent a lot of cash last season.

[/quote]

Hull spent next to nothing.

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=3501&w=36&a=0&part=1

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]''

[/quote]

That''s what I was thinking Barclay_Boy. That''s why I don''t think we will sign two new centre backs. Many posters agree with you about the abilities of the two we have, not so many agree with me, but it''s just opinion. The truth is last season posters were crazing for a centreback to replace either of ours and it never happened. Taylor was brought in while The Doc was out injured and as soon as he was fit again he was back in the side. But Grant did sign the awesome Murray for cover and we had Dublin who could do a job. Unless I am mistaken we only have Spillane now? I would think we need one more, it will be interesting if it''s a big signing or a cover player!

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="ncfclad"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hull spent next to nothing.

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=3501&w=36&a=0&part=1

[/quote]

I thought they signed Henrik Pederson and Jay Jay Okocha on big wages.  A cool million + wages for Caleb Folan and half a million for Wayne Brown from Colchester.  Also I don''t think they sold much for any significant money. So most of the outlay was new money.  rather than Peter Grant spending less than the money in from Earny, Etuhu et al.

But agreed not a great deal compared to Stoke.