Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

When's a good age to start nurturing a2canary!?

I have a 5 month old baby boy. He''s clearly a city fan, he just doesn''t know it yet. For those of you who have successfully raised city supporting offspring, when should i start and how''s it best done? How can i discourage him from being seduced by the premier league glamour and becoming a manure fan!? I think it''s a bit early to take him to a game yet!

I just had to buy my 5 year old a Liverpool kit! I''m just going to bide my time and wait until his old enough to take him to a City game........he''ll change his mind then[:$]

[quote user="a1canary"]I have a 5 month old baby boy. He''s clearly a city fan, he just doesn''t know it yet. For those of you who have successfully raised city supporting offspring, when should i start and how''s it best done? How can i discourage him from being seduced by the premier league glamour and becoming a manure fan!? I think it''s a bit early to take him to a game yet![/quote]

Great post...I too have an 18 month old boy, who is also clearly a norwich fan (hes even got a City T-shirt), but who has the added distraction of living in a Suffolk town with a majority of scum fans.

How does he avoid the attraction of being one of the crowd or a glory hunter?

Rest assured the parental pressure is strong, but any further tips gratefully received

[quote user="a1canary"]I have a 5 month old baby boy. He''s clearly a city fan, he just doesn''t know it yet. For those of you who have successfully raised city supporting offspring, when should i start and how''s it best done? How can i discourage him from being seduced by the premier league glamour and becoming a manure fan!? I think it''s a bit early to take him to a game yet![/quote]

I would let  the poor little fella make his own mind up.

I took my nephew at 4. Living just on the wrong side of the Waveney, he was nearly seduced by the Sh1te''s success when they came fifth in the Prem - and Manure, obviously. To stem this, when he was a couple of years older and came to stay, I told him very seriously that his Dad would be very upset and would cry if he supported anyone else.

He''s now 14 and has had a season ticket in the Barclay ever since.

So get him to Carra as soon as you can!

I took both my boys to there first games when they reached 3 years old, i remember them as nightmares as they kept asking daft questions and got bored quickly.

I think it just takes time, most kids when they get to that age where football becomes the best thing that was ever invented (normally around 5ish) then it''s likely they will go for a top Premiership club like Man United, but with time they can come round to seeing the light and turning into a true City fan, when I was a young kid I used to support Liverpool more than I supported Norwich but as I got older I realised supporting the place in which I was born would give me far more pride and enjoyment then supporting a club that was 200 miles north which I have no real relation to.

Hopefully your son will come round too [;)]

Well A1 - I took my son regularly from 5 years old but my daughter was older. Of course things were different back then and football is more family orientated now. I joined my four grandchildren as junior members when they were born but my youngest grandson is the only one that goes, not regularly but every so often since he was 2. Away from home too where we have taken advantage of the excellent juniors scheme. They get christmas cards, birthday cards and little tokens from the club. Of course when they get older they will make their minds up for themselves. Luckily my children are both  Norwich fans and so are the grandchildren but little Ryan always tells me he likes Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez too! [;)]

[quote user="TwoSheds"]

[/quote]

You don''t have a son do you twosheds?!! But note use of the word "discourage", not  "force"! Although i''m not making any promises!

Cheers for all the useful tips people! I think it''s good that they can appreciate the Rooney''s and Ronaldo''s and Henry''s etc but still support City. You have to be able to appreciate the talents of these players, whoever you support.

I remember supporting liverpool too when i was about 6 - because they were the man u at that time, sweeping all before them. Seems like 4 or 5 is a good time to take them along, just seems so far away now!

Took my little one to a game when she was 16 weeks old!(Well, I was at the game, she was with her mum in the Holiday Inn watching it out of the window).All counts though...

My daughter''s a bit older - 12! She''s been to three games with me, and we''ve lost all of them, so it''s a bit discouraging, if character building. What''s our best chance of a win away (I live near Derby) next season that''s nearish to me? Barnsley? Doncaster?

My 14 yr old lads been a Canary about 10 years.......My 11 yr old lad is a Ipswich supporter!!.BUT he has a season ticket in the Wensum..Now hows that for a confused child?....hehehehe

My latest addition came home from hospital in a full Norwich kit, and after teaching them to speak the usual Mum & Dad next word with all of mine has been City.

[quote user="Bongo Boy"]My 11 yr old lad is a Ipswich supporter!!.BUT he has a season ticket in the Wensum..Now hows that for a confused child?....hehehehe[/quote]

You need to get him looked at Bongo - that can''t be right!

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="TwoSheds"]

[/quote]

You don''t have a son do you twosheds?!! But note use of the word "discourage", not  "force"! Although i''m not making any promises!

Cheers for all the useful tips people! I think it''s good that they can appreciate the Rooney''s and Ronaldo''s and Henry''s etc but still support City. You have to be able to appreciate the talents of these players, whoever you support.

I remember supporting liverpool too when i was about 6 - because they were the man u at that time, sweeping all before them. Seems like 4 or 5 is a good time to take them along, just seems so far away now!

[/quote]

No i dont A1,i must have been bad in my previous life as i have been bleesed with 3 daughters!

Blessed indeed! Are they into footy/city/another club?

And if you had a son who could potentially become a binner, would you not at least not want to take preventative measures early in his life to avoid such an affliction!?

If my son wanted to be a binner, i would ground him till he realises why he is being grounded.

[quote user="a1canary"]

Blessed indeed! Are they into footy/city/another club?

And if you had a son who could potentially become a binner, would you not at least not want to take preventative measures early in his life to avoid such an affliction!?

[/quote]

Lol! Yeah, I know that I would! [:D]

I bought both of mine season tickets from the age of 5 the first couple of years they dont really look at the pitch though.

My daughter was quite into it for a while but hasn''t been for 3 seasons or so (now 15) I still buy her a season ticket every year just in case. My son is now 10 and obsessed with football although I have told him before he can come into the house with any footie shirt except 2.

I think I started going at aroundthe age of 10

I''ve got a 3-year old and an 18-month-old and have been wondering the same sort of thing - I was thinking of letting the older one come when he is 4 (October), so might try before this season is out.

A big problem for me is that it is going to be rather difficult to keep him interested in all things Norwich, living where we do (Kingston) - Chelsea is the team of choice for almost everyone round here, and this is not just glory-hunting for they are one of the most local decent side (Fulham is as close, others such as Brentford/Palace/QPR are too).  The sad/daft thing is that it would probably save me quite a bit of ££ (and a lot of travel time) if I start going to Stamford Bridge/one of the others instead of FCR at some point, but that is really not something I want to do.....

My Little girl has been wearing Yellow and green since a few days old...

I bought her an NCFC baby grow from the club shop, she has a captain Canary toy, I used to sing on the ball city to her when she was tiny...

Now she is over 2 she knows what colours Norwich wear... when i wear my city shirt she says "Yay Norwich"... i have also taught her to say "boo Ipswich!" but she does tend to say it when any blue team appear on Tv!

i will take her to family night football when she is 4 as it has bouncy castles, captain canary.. kids love that sort of thing... if she enjoys the game she will go to 1st team game and take it from there..

ever since she could walk she has been kicking a football too... i think she will grow up into a proper Norwich fan and i cant wait to take her to games! once she gets to about 7 or 8 I will start away games too!

jas :)

The hardest bit is going into ipswich club shop to buy him the kit.....lol.........but got to be done,....wonders if i would get a discount with me ncfc season ticket?.

i have a 7 week old girl called Tilly. My wife was a getting stiched up after a casaerean, so 3 mins after her birth I had a gentle word in her ear... "no matter what people say, you are a Norwich fan" I said. I''m still convinced now she gave me a smile then.

a few weeks into pregnancy, I bought a (''hideous'' some have said) NCFC babygrow. OK, so she''s a girl, not a boy but, I have worked hard & managed to get permission from my wife to let Tilly wear it on match days during the 90 mins. A few weeks ago my wife actually bought a mini canary scarf (one of the ones that go on the rear windscreen) which should fit Tilly well. I can''t wait for the firsat day of the season when we kick off against the sky blues, and Tilly will be wearing this little outfit. For me THAT is when she becomes a canary.

PS: Haven''t posted for months & months... I don''t have any sources, but reckon we might buy some players soon & that a takeover is likely.

I1ve got 3 city mad boys inour house.

All have been going to games since the age of about 5. It`s a bit tricky to keep the interest at that age but perseverance has paid off......oh , that and refusing to purchase any other team kits and telling them that the only way they will get to see a football match is if it involves Dad`s beloved City!!

I even banned #2 son`s mate from the house for a while as he is a binmans son!

My boy is 5, he has been to 2 matches.  In fairness he probably enjoyed the job lot of sweets I bought in the Morrisons garage more than the match!!!!

I have told him he can support who he likes except West Ham, Ipswich and Tottenham.  When I ask him who he supports he tells me Liverpool, West Ham (then forgets) and quickly adds Norwich.  I think they just like the glory at that age to be honest.  But no worries, I will drum it into him, even if I have to resort to underhand tactics (grounding, take playstation away, transformers away etc etc.)

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]

My boy is 5, he has been to 2 matches.  In fairness he probably enjoyed the job lot of sweets I bought in the Morrisons garage more than the match!!!!

I have told him he can support who he likes except West Ham, Ipswich and Tottenham.  When I ask him who he supports he tells me Liverpool, West Ham (then forgets) and quickly adds Norwich.  I think they just like the glory at that age to be honest.  But no worries, I will drum it into him, even if I have to resort to underhand tactics (grounding, take playstation away, transformers away etc etc.)

[/quote]

This is definitely the route to go down, Carlos.

Can`t fail!!

I have a tricky problem in that I 5 year old have twin girls, much

harder to get into football than boys.  But I''ve been plugging

away recently and luckily this weekend provided a breakthrough when we

went to stay at their Uncle''s flat, overlooking a certain Carra Rudd...

with a little prompting from me they were running around singing "Come

on City, Come on City!" and other such minor chants (think its a bit

early to teach them all the words to OTBC).  Then I noticed that

we''re playing Colchester in a friendly on a Saturday so am bringing

them down for their first game!  My 6 year old nephew will also be

attending his second game.

I think with friendlies its a little easier cos if they get bored

(which, lets face it, is likely) I can just take them over to their

Uncle''s and then get back to the game without losing much money [:)]

I also took them into the City Store in the mall at the weekend and

they started trying on some of the hats.  Took photos and then

took great delight in showing them to their Scum supporting Grand-dad

(on their mother''s side)[:D]

my son is 8 and a City nut , he has the kit and is normally the only one at his team training with the NCFC kit on . He goes to reserves regularly and goes on the FITC courses as well , my 15 year old daughter is also football daft , but my 11 year old hates it 

The bot does have a MAn Utd shirt ( bought with his own birthday money ) but He is restricted when he can wear it  

When my daughter was small we went to Toys r us in i****** , - Norwich didn''t have one then - and on the bus she pipes up " daddy are we in the place you don;t like yet " -  you cannot buy those moments