Sign in to follow this  
Ivana_rubyatitz

City to hold out for Ameobi at a cut price?

Now I know we have a budget to work to, and that you should not always take the stuff you see in the papers as gospel (even if it is in such a notable journal as the Pink UN front page).

However, I cannot help but think that a strategy based on waiting for the last minute because the player seems to have indicated a desire to come here in the hope the selling club will panic and drop the price has not got a good track record.

Shades of January and Taylor perhaps?  [^o)]

In the wider context there has been countless examples of teams waiting to sign a player and getting them for a much lower price.  Obviously under the current budget we can''t meet the asking price, so we don''t have much choice.  If we miss out well we will move on to other targets.

Shades of Linvoy Primus more like?

I hope that we are planning on building the team and adding Ameobi if we can and are not holding out and putting off other deals in the hope we can sign him up in August. All very well if we do get him but if not could be panic stations time when we have to fill gaps in the squad at very short notice.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]We''ll miss thhe boat per usual and end up with

the dregs..........its so mind numbing predictable now I could

cry![:''(][/quote]

But hang on a minute, I thought you didn''t even want Ameobi here?? Or have you changed your mind again? [;)]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="1st Wizard"]We''ll miss thhe boat per usual and end up with the dregs..........its so mind numbing predictable now I could cry![:''(][/quote]
But hang on a minute, I thought you didn''t even want Ameobi here?? Or have you changed your mind again? [;)]
[/quote]

I don''t want him here, okay Evil Monkey?

But hanging on untill the last minute in a vain attempt to try and sign him, will mean we will miss out on other more good and realistic targets like Morrison, Eastwood etc.

If we had a full squad and Ameobi was going to merely compliment it, then fine waiting is a good idea. But we are not in that position and waiting in the vain hope that it all comes good in the end is a very desparate measure. We can not afford to be playing Russian Roulette with our strike targets!

Sal, Russian roulette is based on the thrill of not hitting something. Our strikers at present removed that thrill as it became a certainty.Therefore you could say we are well practiced at the "game".

Ah didnt we try this with Martin Taylor , we will hang on and get him cheap , worked a treat that time so why not have another crack at it . So far we have spent nothing , swapped a goalkeeper for a winger got in a freebie and a loan and this was going to be a big summer for us in the transfer market .

Do we ever learn that in football you have to pay the price for players, because if you dont someone else will and you will always lose out when playing the waiting game.

And when we do agree a fee we dont follow it up, I cant believe that we are not trying to get Gow to sign, he wants to come here, but we dont want to give an answer to his agent, because we are too busy (busy doing what). Its a joke now, how can you be too busy, players are the most important part of a football team, if we are busy we must be dealing with around 8 players at this moment.

in my humble opinon i think roeder and ameobi have had a littlee chat and ameobi has said he will not agree terms with any other club bar norwich it could work in our favor

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]Ah didnt we try this with Martin Taylor ,

we will hang on and get him cheap , worked a treat that time so why not

have another crack at it . So far we have spent nothing , swapped a

goalkeeper for a winger got in a freebie and a loan and this was going

to be a big summer for us in the transfer market .[/quote]

As far as I know with the Taylor thing we weren''t waiting to get him on

the cheap, Brum were waiting to sign Gary Cahill from Aston

Villa.  That deal fell through at the last minute when Cahill went

to Bolton, so then Brum hung on to Tiny.  We were bidding low,

yes, but I reckon had Cahill moved to Brum we''d have got him for the

right price.  Even at a £1 million they still wouldn''t have sold

him once the Cahill deal fell through...

Oh, and can I just ask Wiz and a few others - since when was Morrison

and Eastwood a target of ours? They''ve never really been linked with us

this summer, but for some reason people are claiming they''re our

targets.  Is it because you know that we don''t want to sign them,

so you can be assured of posting a "there goes another target"

(accompanied by a crying/angry* smiley) when they sign for someone

else?  Or am I just being cynical...?[^o)]

*delete as appropriate

[quote user="Berkshire Canary"]I hope Glenn isn''t pinning all his hopes on this, if so with our current lack of strikers he is playing a very, very dangerous game.....[/quote]

I Totally agree, very stupid and dangerous game if that is the one he is playing, could leave us up the river without a paddle [:|]

However we have to trust GR know''s what he is doing.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Loan City Fc "]Ah didnt we try this with Martin Taylor ,

we will hang on and get him cheap , worked a treat that time so why not

have another crack at it . So far we have spent nothing , swapped a

goalkeeper for a winger got in a freebie and a loan and this was going

to be a big summer for us in the transfer market .[/quote]

As far as I know with the Taylor thing we weren''t waiting to get him on

the cheap, Brum were waiting to sign Gary Cahill from Aston

Villa.  That deal fell through at the last minute when Cahill went

to Bolton, so then Brum hung on to Tiny.  We were bidding low,

yes, but I reckon had Cahill moved to Brum we''d have got him for the

right price.  Even at a £1 million they still wouldn''t have sold

him once the Cahill deal fell through...

Oh, and can I just ask Wiz and a few others - since when was Morrison

and Eastwood a target of ours? They''ve never really been linked with us

this summer, but for some reason people are claiming they''re our

targets.  Is it because you know that we don''t want to sign them,

so you can be assured of posting a "there goes another target"

(accompanied by a crying/angry* smiley) when they sign for someone

else?  Or am I just being cynical...?[^o)]

*delete as appropriate[/quote]When he first went back off loan we had the chance o sign him but Roeder wanted to get the price down , when he finally decided to pay what Birmingham wanted it was to late because the Cahill deal fell through .

As quiet as our transfer activity has been, lets not forget the excitement of last summer when we were treated to press conf''s almost on a daily basis at one point. We all know how that story ended! I do think we are playing a dangerous game though, and I can''t help but feel that Roeder knows exactly who he wants but it is Doncaster who is urging patience in an attempt to get a couple of 0''s knocked off thge eventual price. Of course I have absolutely no proof at all for my allegations, but as I said; its just a feeling.

[quote user="Salahuddin"] it is Doncaster who is urging patience in an

attempt to get a couple of 0''s knocked off thge eventual price..[/quote]

Do you reckon we''ll end up signing Ameobi for £25.00? [;)]

[quote user="ncfclad"]

Do we ever learn that in football you have to pay the price for players, because if you dont someone else will [/quote]

Have to say I agree with you on this one.  I don''t think Ameobi is worth the sort of figures being touted around but if that is what the market currently dictates then that is what he would cost if we want him. 

I must admit I am beggining to worry at the lack of transfer activity (even though I was preaching patience up until now).  As others have said we need a lot of reinforcements and they need time to settle in. 

I am sure Glenn knows what he is doing but I think this is a high risk strategy and despite what has been posted about Taylor and Cahill''s part in that not happening there just feels like a bit of deja vu in this.