Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Why so many midfielders ?

We hardly have enough defenders to make a team , only one experienced striker yet we have 7 experienced midfielders ??

Strange also lets not forget Gow and Bell who are still being linked ? (although I guess Gow would be more likely to be used as a striker)

Maybe its Roeders new plan a wall of midfielders

"We hardly have enough defenders to make a team"We don''t need 11 defenders! [:)]Basically - our midfield is crap.... we''ve lacked a decent creative midfielder since Mulryne ate too many pies. Russell is mediocre (and possibly a lucrative sale)... it''s not that we don''t need Defenders and Strikers more, it just we''re not going to stop buying Midfielders till it''s good either!

Firstly i agree with your comments but roeder must have something up his sleeve, also to be a great team you must have a strong midfield and the numbers for back up. in which were now getting. dont worry we will buy defenders and strikers who and when is still to be seen.

im getting excited about the new season, but then i do every year....................

Think of all the strikers who are being linked. Ameobi, Stokes, Folan, Eastwood, Rigters, Platt....We do need defenders and strikers. Need about 8 new altogether it''s jus a matter of when, we hope.

Its a master plane - we cant afford strikers or defenders so we are going 3-5-1-1 this season...

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

We hardly have enough defenders to make a team , only one experienced striker yet we have 7 experienced midfielders ??

Strange also lets not forget Gow and Bell who are still being linked ? (although I guess Gow would be more likely to be used as a striker)

Maybe its Roeders new plan a wall of midfielders

[/quote]

[quote user="ob1"]"We hardly have enough defenders to make a team"

We don''t need 11 defenders! [:)]

Basically - our midfield is crap.... we''ve lacked a decent creative midfielder since Mulryne ate too many pies. Russell is mediocre (and possibly a lucrative sale)... it''s not that we don''t need Defenders and Strikers more, it just we''re not going to stop buying Midfielders till it''s good either!
[/quote]

Fact: Russell was one of our best players last season - but that says more about the rest of the team than Russell. IMO Russell should be our supersub and always able to fill in when needed. We need better. Very happy to have him in the squad though. Agree about Mulryne too. Andy Townsend, Ian Crook, Damien Francis ... and now Matty Pattison! I think not. We have a quite hard working and bustling midfield but little creativity I feel - and I include Fotheringham in that too. Personally I think Roeder is just trying to hammer home to Simon "I''m a midfielder not a full back" Lappin that there really is no room for him in the team, despite the small squad and despite his existing contract. That''s a pity. Personally I think Lappin, though not perfect, has more creativity and skill than most of the others. But the Martin Taylor replacement is the real urgency...(sorry if I''m boring you!).

[quote user="Binky"]

[quote user="ob1"]"We hardly have enough defenders to make a team"We don''t need 11 defenders! [:)]Basically - our midfield is crap.... we''ve lacked a decent creative midfielder since Mulryne ate too many pies. Russell is mediocre (and possibly a lucrative sale)... it''s not that we don''t need Defenders and Strikers more, it just we''re not going to stop buying Midfielders till it''s good either![/quote]

Fact: Russell was one of our best players last season - but that says more about the rest of the team than Russell. IMO Russell should be our supersub and always able to fill in when needed. We need better. Very happy to have him in the squad though. Agree about Mulryne too. Andy Townsend, Ian Crook, Damien Francis ... and now Matty Pattison! I think not. We have a quite hard working and bustling midfield but little creativity I feel - and I include Fotheringham in that too. Personally I think Roeder is just trying to hammer home to Simon "I''m a midfielder not a full back" Lappin that there really is no room for him in the team, despite the small squad and despite his existing contract. That''s a pity. Personally I think Lappin, though not perfect, has more creativity and skill than most of the others. But the Martin Taylor replacement is the real urgency...(sorry if I''m boring you!).

[/quote]I agree mate... although Russell is consistant, I don''t think he is absolute quality or that much of a "creative" midfielder... he isn''t much of a "defensive" one either... he is just "a midfielder" in the classic sense, and useful, but I reckon we could get £500,000 for him - and considering we could get two Hoolanhans for that, I know what I''d go for!If we had Martin Taylor I''d be 50% more confident that I am now! [:)] Bring back Malky, I say ;)

Why do so many people dislike Russell, most opposing managers seem to pinpoint Russell as an excellent player and someone who they would like in there team, but it seems the Norwich fans don''t like him, sorry if that is a sweeping generalisation.  Personally I think he is an excellent Championship player and I am glad we have him in our side.  Roeder said at the very beginning that to get out of this league you need to score goals, so it is a little surprising that as yet we have not added anyone in that department, maybe we are in for a Mark Robins esque signature - what a debut that was.  I would like to see us get 2 or 3 centre forwards, maybe 2 on a perm and 1 loan (Evans??).

We need 8 experienced midfielders dont we? 2 for every position. So you can argue that Roeder has the midfield sorted, and now needs to sort out defence and attack.

[quote user="Casper"]Why do so many people dislike Russell, most opposing managers seem to pinpoint Russell as an excellent player and someone who they would like in there team, but it seems the Norwich fans don''t like him, .[/quote]

Personally I know no-one who dislikes Russell or is not happy to see him play for City. He''s a very useful player. But not a great player or a particulary creative one - he can run himself into trouble before he makes that final pass. But he does score goals and makes himself a nuisance to the opposition - I can see him adding something to many Championship sides.

I should have added Andy Johnson to that list of past City playmakers in my previous post.

Glenn is sorting out the team in stages. Once he brings in a couple of quality strikers and a couple of quality defenders i honestly believe we will do quite well this season.       On the ball city.................

Townsend , Crook fair enough

But Andy Johnson , Damien Francis & Mulryne Please I have seen more creativity in a modern art exhibition !

Mulryne had the odd decent touch but was far to inconsistant I certainly wouldnt have any of them in my team

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

Townsend , Crook fair enough

But Andy Johnson , Damien Francis & Mulryne Please I have seen more creativity in a modern art exhibition !

Mulryne had the odd decent touch but was far to inconsistant I certainly wouldnt have any of them in my team

[/quote]

Each to his own. Wasn''t suggesting they were all Prem standard but stood at as being able to do something useful on their day. They were all capable of impressing me. Out of interest, what other midfielders of the past 10 years would others describe as "creative" - by which I mean comfortable on the ball and in no rush to be rid, capable of making that special long pass or bring in team mates who are in space - rather than just rushing forward (or worse, square) and into trouble and hoping the ball breaks kindly for a shot on goal?