Sign in to follow this  
Andy Larkin

Archant - your role in all of this stinks

caviar and champagne at Arcahnt towers for lunch today then... thanks to all tjhose who bought a paper.. Sales must be slipping...

jas :)

All done to sell newspapers in the dead season. Both Archant and Peter Cullum knew that the Club could not be bought for nothing and that was the case if all £20 million was to be spent on players.

No reason why Peter Cullum should not give an indefinate repayable loan of £20 million to NCFC if he cares so much for the Club. I am sure he would be offered a place on the Board. Maybe Roger would even pass over the Chairmanship. 

Absolutely right! Big announcement the day before. Then a story about a financially ridiculous offer made last year to try to pick up a club on the cheap. Ridiculous offer not accepted. End of story. Only they kept poking it every day to sell more papers without adding one sensible piece of proper analysis or one article questioning whether the offer was even legal. D&M forced to try to agree something with PC largely as a result of media pressure. It still doesn''t stack up legally and D&M are made out to be the bad guys while PC sits smugly by watching, safe in the knowledge that the supporters who have made the club what it is will do his job for him and get rid of D&M and he''ll still pick up a bargain.

Is my memory going or did someone post on here some months ago about what sounded at the time to be a ridiculous conspiracy with a businessman hoping we go down so that he could pick the club up on the cheap?

Anyway,well done Archant. You must have sold a lot of newspapers over the past few days. Oh, and before anyone starts on about "supporting the board" and "first time poster" etc. I''m not a big fan of much of what has gone one since Geoff Watling rescued the club and my first game was Chesterfield at home.......1960, so I have maybe earned an opinion.

Very interesting debate, there is so much anger out there now that the venom can be fired at almost anyone and gain a good measure of support.

Archant are doing their job, the days of quality investigative journalism in the press are gone. They need instant fizz and headline material and that is what they have got.

I dont think they have manufactured the story, they have reported what they have been told, maybe without asking enough questions, but we have all taken it in without question. We have all, myself included, made judgements on limited information and allocated blame.

I dont blame Archant at all, they have reflected the general level of concern about our club and written what they know. If Cullum has been clever enough to use them then good for him, it just shows how pitifully nieve NCFC are. They have always held the upper hand in the past and drip fed information to us via the media. There has been nobody in a position of strength who could challenge this as the Board held all the cards. We take what we`re give as there has been no real alternative. Board Out etc. have all been expressions of dispair with the club but there has been nothing in the frame to offer as an alternative to the status quo. Now all of a sudden there is and all the frustrations of being treated like mushrooms in the past are surfacing, we have been liberated by recent events and the stranglehold on information and the mantra of no alternative has gone.

If Archant has helped to provide this liberation then for me thats the press doing it`s job!    

Absolutely brilliant post, the futureisyellow

Most of us have taken sides on this and that is natural but the situation is creating a very sad split between supporters.

I hope that we will be given more info very quickly simply as a matter of courtesy and to bring everyone back together.

I know a lot of you wont feel the same as me but because of the way this whole event has been handled i feel embarrassed and even ashamed to be a supporter at the moment.

[quote user="Grumpy Old Blogger"]

Oh, and before anyone starts on about "supporting the board" and "first time poster" etc. I''m not a big fan of much of what has gone one since Geoff Watling rescued the club and my first game was Chesterfield at home.......1960, so I have maybe earned an opinion.

[/quote]

G.O.B - my first game was 1965 but I don''t remember who the opponents were! Watling was a different type of human being to what is on offer now I fear. But if Delia & Co can find another bunch of Turners to lend and buy just one good player - much of this will be forgotten. But I will not forget that Mr C never offered to put a penny into the club for nothing. Most fans would willingly give a week''s worth of income if it meant buying a good player - I wish Mr C would. And the difference of course is that most fans would suffer some hardship in so doing. I doubt Mr C would.

[quote user="jetstream"]Some excellent points made here - especially Andy''s opening argument.[/quote]completely agree, very good points here

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

Very interesting debate, there is so much anger out there now that the venom can be fired at almost anyone and gain a good measure of support.

Archant are doing their job, the days of quality investigative journalism in the press are gone. They need instant fizz and headline material and that is what they have got.

I dont think they have manufactured the story, they have reported what they have been told, maybe without asking enough questions, but we have all taken it in without question. We have all, myself included, made judgements on limited information and allocated blame.

I dont blame Archant at all, they have reflected the general level of concern about our club and written what they know. If Cullum has been clever enough to use them then good for him, it just shows how pitifully nieve NCFC are. They have always held the upper hand in the past and drip fed information to us via the media. There has been nobody in a position of strength who could challenge this as the Board held all the cards. We take what we`re give as there has been no real alternative. Board Out etc. have all been expressions of dispair with the club but there has been nothing in the frame to offer as an alternative to the status quo. Now all of a sudden there is and all the frustrations of being treated like mushrooms in the past are surfacing, we have been liberated by recent events and the stranglehold on information and the mantra of no alternative has gone.

If Archant has helped to provide this liberation then for me thats the press doing it`s job!    

[/quote]

spot on [Y]

[quote user="Bobert"]

All done to sell newspapers in the dead season. Both Archant and Peter Cullum knew that the Club could not be bought for nothing and that was the case if all £20 million was to be spent on players.

No reason why Peter Cullum should not give an indefinate repayable loan of £20 million to NCFC if he cares so much for the Club. I am sure he would be offered a place on the Board. Maybe Roger would even pass over the Chairmanship. 

[/quote]

Getting the money back isn''t the issue I don''t think, and he''s said he doesn''t want a seat on the board.  It''s to do with having control over how it is spent, ie. on players rather than other stuff. 

"I dont think they have manufactured the story, they have reported what they have been told, maybe without asking enough questions, but we have all taken it in without question. We have all, myself included, made judgements on limited information and allocated blame."

I agree with this bit of the post but I do blame Archant for the sensationalist way in which it has been done.

They hitched their horse to the Cullum bandwagon and tried to ride it into the boardroom at Fortress Carrow Road.

Now, I''m pleased that some things have come out into the open - namely the lie that there''s no-one out there interested in investing in Championship clubs, certainly no-one local. On the other hand, Archant''s failure to ask the pertinent questions two weeks ago leaves them looking very silly indeed.

It''s going to make their relationship with the Club very interesting - and awkward - over the next few months.

In the meantime, no players have signed, transfer fees and wages have no doubt been hiked on the perception that we suddenly have £20m to spend and we''re probably two weeks behind where we should have been in getting targets in.

None of which bodes well for the forthcoming season.

there was a time when it was claimed that the EEN used to fight "tooth and nail" for Norwich.. and in partiularly NCFc.. now it seems that the EEN and the EDP are more scared of standing on Roeder and the Clubs toes so they cant get an interview with the Doc saying "we owe em one" every week.

What ever happened to the papers Bo***cks it used to have?

jas :)