Sign in to follow this  
listen (formerly MG7)

What was your first game?

Ok- (my first post on Pinky board as well).

My old grandad (God rest his soul) took me to Anfield in 1970 something. We were happy enough when Mark Lawrenson put though his own net just before half-time.

Then in the second half one of the greatest goals in NCFC history (in my opinion) hit the back of the net, when Martin O''Neill crashed the ball home from 35 yards (ish) and we went on to win 2-0.

The memory is vague (I was eight) but treasured, as is the vision of my grandad celebrating the goal.

It will live with me forever.

Swindon Town (H) August 96 where I was a just under a month from my 10th Birthday. That was the game which if anyone remembers had to be slightly delayed because the club let off a load of ballons before the game to celebrate the 1st game of the new season and a lot of them ended up on the pitch so many people from the South Stand family enclosure were allowed on to the pitch to burst them. I sat in the River End and we won 2-0 with goals from Flecky and Andy Johsnon which now seems donkeys years ago. I had supported City from a young age and my Mum took me to the match and we got hooked and at that Christmas we did the old half season ticket then every season since have had a full one. My mum took me because my Dad died the previous month and with him not around she wanted something to do on Saturday''s because when he was alive they or the four of us ( my older sister aswell until she she moved out that May ) were always going out or being somewhere so we went and for a lot of Saturdays and evenings since we been watching Norwich and now we are Premier league.

liverpool, we won 1-0, with a david phillips penalty, at the tailend of that glorious 1992/3 season. the liverpool keeper ot sent off, i think it was a young daid james but cant remember. can anyone fill me in with any more details ie. who was playing etc., hopeto jog some nostalgic memories.

Norwich City v Cardiff City 31/8/1946 Result 2-1 win Scorers Cyril Walker and Billy Furness.
Div 3 South. Attendance 20,600. Cyril Spiers ex Cardiff was our manager. Bernard Robinson (still lives in Norwich was in the team). Admission 9 pence for children. 1/6 for adults. Club programmes had both teams printed in the centre page. Drayton British Legion Band entertained on the pitch before the game. A tenor member sang On the Ball City. A guest mace bearer. Threw his mace in the air and having sometimes had rather too much to drink, saw two coming down and made a grab for the wrong one. Much to the delight of the crowd.
We kids were passed over top of the crowd and placed down the front against the railings. Seating only in the main stand. Cover over the Barclay and the enclosure in front of the main stand. The club had one recorded disc of Band music "The entry of the Gladiators", which always was played as the teams came out. There have been a few changes over the years.

Thank heavens for Sick Canary and Maidstone Canary - I didn''t want to be the oldest on this board!
For me it was the FA Cup game against Sheffield Wednesday in January 1967. It was all a bit overwhelming for me - over 40,000 packed into the ground. I remember a variety of people parading around the pitch in strange costumes, and one had even dyed his hair yellow and green - how outlandish! We had beaten Man Utd in the previous round, and people must have thought we were off on another big cup run. There were some Wednesday fans behind us in the South Stand, and I remember feeling bemused at why they would travel so far just for a football match. I seem to remember that we went three - nil down, by which time I had completely lost interest and wasn''t looking when Bryceland (I think it was him) scored a consolation goal.

My dad is Maidstone Canary, im using his password cos I''m a Maidstone Canary too, (just a lot younger). The first match I ever went to watch was against Cardiff City on Saturday 27th March 1982, my Dad took me and I was just six years old then. I''m not sure but I think we won 2-1. I do remember we sat underneath the floodlights in the main stand at the Barclay Stand Corner. There were some tremendous players that day including Chris Woods in goal (my childhood hero), along with Martin O''Neill and John Deehan. It is a match that is etched in my memory forever as I expect most peoples first is.

Mine was West Ham at home ''93-''94 with my mum & dad: a goalless draw on a cold, overcast winter''s day. Despite all that, it was fantastic. Maybe it''s due to grey-tinted spectacles, but the atmosphere then seems such a contrast to today - only the lower Barclay & away fans made any noise to speak of, there wasn''t much colour around and the stands had a noticeable number of away fans and silent neutrals. Of course the teamsheet itself was legendary, but it wasn''t appreciated enough at the time and I didn''t actually see us win that season, watching another draw with Man City and defeat to Sheringham''s Spurs. Still, if you''re going to be hooked, it''ll happen regardless, and so it turned out.

I am feeling very ancient, as my first game was against Derby in April 1969 - my dad took me as I was very young at the time and I felt very sorry for my younger brother, who went to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang instead! Derby were already champions of the old Div 2, and showed it as they beat us 4-1. We scored with a late penalty by super Kenny Foggo, and I remember it was very exciting as the crowd cheered and I couldn''t wait to go again ... next game was Terry Allcock''s testimonial against Ip*****. I started going regularly in 1971-72 and apart from a gap when children were young, have been ever since. Two oldest sons both City through and through.

Oh dear. Age will out. My first game was City v Sheff Wed in the FA Cup in 1967. Against all expectations we had beaten Man Utd at Old Trafford in the previous round and Dad and Grandad took me along to this one. Little did they know what they were doing. We lost 3-1 but that was it. Hooked for life.