Sign in to follow this  
listen (formerly MG7)

What was your first game?

At the request of Jonzey (from the ''Results from way back when'' thread), what was your first game watching the mighty Canaries? Will be good to get some nostalgic

Mine was at home to Crystal Palace, on (thanks Peter!), and we lost 3-0. I don''t know who scored, but it was around the Mark Bright / Ian Wright era.

My mum and nan waited in the car with me while my dad went to the ticket office at 2.30 to get the tickets (oh, those were the days!). He came back to the car, and asked me if I was ready. I was petrified, only eight years old - and dad had got tickets in the Barclay! He was / is a Man Utd fan, having lived there until he was 17 - and it was his first time of watching Norwich too.

We stood (or rather I sat - on one of those big steel bar things) in the Barclay, to the side where the Snakepit is now. I was so scared going in though, didn''t know what to expect. But even though we lost 3-0, I loved it!

Mum and nan came to pick us up after their couple of hours'' shopping, and we drove home with my scarf hanging out of the window.

Brings back some good memories.

What was your first game? What do you remember about the day?

Was anyone''s first game an away match?

Carrow road, our last season in the premier, Newcastle beat us 2-1, I think Peter "quasimodo" Beardsley scored. I thought I was a jinx for a long time as we went downhill as soon as I started supporting!!!

Leyton Orient at home - last game of 81/82 season. We won and got promoted back to the old Div 1. I was 12 and in the Barclay centre pen. Paid a quid to get in. Went on the old Black Cat coaches that used to run to the matches from North Norfolk. Keith Bertschin (god) scored a penalty into the Barclay end. Hit the ball straight down the middle and it went in off the crossbar. The Orient fans must have come in a taxi. Pitch invasion at the end. No wonder I was hooked for life.

My brother took me to watch Forest in our first game in front of the Sky cameras in the 92/93 season, when we finished third. We queued for tickets long enough that we missed the first two minutes, and consequently missed Ian Crook''s freekick! We won 3-1, Lennox Lewis came out at half time (to say when interviewed that he quite liked Forest)! Nigel Clough scored for Forest, I think dave Philips got one of ours - any suggestions for who the other scorer was? I can''t remember!

My first game was 1991 I think it was ncfc vs aston villa at carrow road. Ian crook scored and absolute screamer and derek mountfield got sent off!what a start!

Just found my ticket:

Norwich City v Watford
Rumbelows Cup
26 September 1990 7.45pm
South Stand, Block M, Row M, Seat 002
Price: £2.50!!

Although some of the silver on the ticket has now rubbed off onto my hand...

I don''t remember any of the game and it took me 4 years before I went to my second game!

My first game was away at Luton - 3-1 win with Jon Newsome (2 headers) and Neil Adams (30 yard screamer) scoring. Went because my younger son supported the Canaries (his favourite colour was yellow - he was only little at the time) and have been a Canary fan ever since!!!! Have subsequently converted entire family to the cause

My first game was rather bizarre, it was just before Xmas (cannot remember year) around 95-96. My wife and mother wanted to go Xmas shopping in Norwich so I persuaded a friend to come to football.
Norwich played Crystal Palace at home and we drew 1-1.
But the most bizarre bit was going into the game red cards were being handed out.
Didn''t know what these were for (obvious later the purpose of these).
Then after the game a large crowd gathered behind the N&P stand and some fans even had a cardboard coffin held in the air.
We didn''t join in as no idea what was happening, we walked the short distance to the Park & Ride (where Morrisons etc. is now) and waiting for the shoppers to arrive, heard nearly 30-45 minutes of chanting etc.

Nick

mine first one was away at swindon in 93,drew 3-3
am sure we have had this thread beofre,ill go back and try and find it

I have seen these posts for some time and have to confess that despite wracking my brains I cannot remember what my first game was, who it was against, the score or anything.

Grandad took me - no one else in the family has the remotest interest in football - but he is no longer with us to give me any hints. I do have a recollection of standing in the river end feeling a tad squashed - this would have been around 75/76 as a 8/9 year old.

The first memory I have is of horror,watching the Manure fan falling from the barclay roof.

I am not proud that I cannot recall my first game - please forgive me.

I can recall my daughters first game - 5-0 home win over Huddersfield.

OTBC

I went to that Watford game! I think it was my first evening game, definitely the first time I stood in the Barclay. David James, an up and coming young keeper, was playing for Watford.

I think we won 2-0, pretty sure Ruel scored one of the goals, possiblt Phillips or Crook the other, definitely remember Ruel was awsome that night, ran rings around the second division defenders.

March 11th 1989 vs Wimbledon (Home)

1-0 Trevor Putney

It was a treat for my eighth birthday along with my first Norwich scarf.

Norwich City 2 - 0 Manchester United
Sunday February 22nd 1989 (I think)
Upper River End in the middle. It was televised on BBC1

Fleck scored one of them

But I''m ashamed to admit I was a Man Utd fan at the time (Cue the abuse), but as you can tell I have since mended my ways.

I stood in The River End with my Dad. It was the towards the end of an old first division league game soon before the preimier league was instigated.

Fleck was in the team and we lost 1-0 to Notts County. It was awful, but I have been a fan ever since.

I first started supporting Norwich the season we went down (sorry everyone). My first game was Blackburn at home (the champions that season I believe) and Chris Sutton scored after 4 minutes. The Blackburn fans started singing 7-1 to us after they trounced us not long before. Anyway, we beat them 2-1 in the end, remember Jon Newsome scored one by slipping over, he hit it against his left leg, and it looped over Tim Flowers - genius. Great match to me started.

My first was in our last season in the Premiership, when we beat Chelsea 3-0 with Ward getting 2 on his debut. I also went to the last match of that season, also our last ever Prem game, (well until soon obv!) the 1-1 draw with Villa

Billy Steele''s testimonial match against an England XI - probably around December 1980. Norwich lost 5-0 but I was hooked. All the more amazing considering I scolded my mouth on a cup of hot chocolate - does anyone else remember the boys who would go around the touchline selling hot drinks?

Actually had been to a game a few years earlier. Norwich Res vs QPR Res but left at halftime to go and watch the trains at Thorpe Station (I was only about 5)

Our other goalscorer that day was Lee Power I believe.

My first game was Forest at home at the end of either 77-78 or 78-79. Can''t remember which, perhaps someone can help? Drew 1-1, Kevin Reeves scored for us. My dad took me in the South Stand, and the noise was that loud when we scored that I started crying and the people around me laughed. I also remember everyone leapt up at a chance, I tried to do the same but the seat tipped up quicker than I moved, and I fell into the hole and got stuck.

Mine was against Everton in November 1980 when I was aged 7. We won 2-1 and I''m ashamed to say I was supporting Everton (pressure from northern relatives). To think that the first Norwich goal I ever saw left me disappointed. Luckily I saw sense and thanks to my dad I kept going that season and stuck by them ever since (even though they were relegated the following spring).

Sat in the South Stand. Remember finding it really weird and intimidating when the goals went in. Had no idea what you were supposed to do or say.

Who can forget that Newsome goal Daynsey.

My first game was a 2-1 home win angainst Citeh in our 1st premiership season. (or maybe it was the 2nd)
Mark Robins scored 1st for us with a ricoche of his shin from about half a yard and Lee Power put us 2-0 up with a fairly close range volley. Citeh got one back through a looping deflection scored by Nial Quinn.
The start of a wonderful life as a canaries fan.

I happen to think that mine was the first game at home against Everton in the 1972-73 season - the first season that the Canaries had played in the top flight.

I was 10 at the time and we had just got season tickets for their first season in Division 1.

I even followed them to Wembley for their League Cup loss against Spurs in ''72.

Last but no means least the club had a summer training camp in the grounds of the private school where I lived in Scratby. So I was fortunate enough to meet all the City stars at the time during their training camp - Stringer, Keelan, Forbes, Paddon, Foggo et al.

My first game was the final home game of the season against Arsenal. We drew 2-2. I think it was in the 1988/89 season but can''t be sure.

Been a Season ticket holder ever since :)

my first games was v stoke home oct 1975
stood on crate on the old river end sleepers was only 6
we lost 1-0 sean haselgeave scored for stoke
was the days of peters keelan boyer n suggett
happy days

ps good luck for today :)city

Luton v Norwich at Kenilworth Road - either 1961 or 1962 - with my dad and if my memory serves me right we lost 2-1 -

The following year I went back again with my dad and saw us thumped 4-2 with Ron Davies scoring all Lutons goals, thankfully we signed him shortly after.

First game at Carrow Road was againast Bury 23rd January 1965 - a 1-1 draw and what a team

Keelan
Kelly and Mullet
Lucas Butler and Allcock
Heath Bolland Davies Sutton and Punton

Didn''t have substitutes in those days.

I thought it was a 2-1 win over Burnley or Crystal Palace & having looked it up at http://www.norwichcity-mad.co.uk/, I see it was against Palace on 24 April ''73 season (our first ever in the old 1st division). I would have been 9 & my Uncle Richard took me and I distinctly remember Dave Stringer rising above everyone else to score a very late winner. I also remember the crush coming out of Carrow Rd & walking over the river bridge.

Needless to say, I''ve been a fan ever since, although we lived in Lincoln at the time & I''ve never actually lived in Norwich apart from my first couple of years in Costessey.

Other early games I remember are 2-2 against West Ham; a game against Burnley & one against Orient that I forget the scores of, and a 3-2 home defeat by, I think, Hull or York - they scored straight from the kick off and then again from our kick off - 2-0 after a couple of minutes! I''m pretty sure it was the same day that L''Escargot won the Grand National as I won the family sweepstake my Grandmother used to run. I remember the old wooden main stand and everyone stamping their feet after a good move. Used to make a hell of a sound - at least to my young ears. I remember Martin Peters playing, but don''t remember the game (maybe the 2-3 loss above).

I''m not sure of my first away game, but I used to go to more away games when I was a student & then working in London than home games!

On The Ball City!

My first game was away at Millmoor, 1st game of the 1981/82 season, when we lost 4-1 to a newly promoted Rotherham side.
I was 10 years old and we had moved up to Rotherham from Norfolk 18 months previously. For some inexplicable reason my dad, who never had an interest in football, took me in the Rotherham end though he got it right on the last day of the season at Hillsborough when, despite losing to Sheff Wed 2-1, we were promoted back to Div1 at the first attempt.
I had to wait until 1983 for my first trip to Carrow Road when we played West Ham and I stood in the River End.

My first game was Norwich v Leeds in 1972. Billy Bremner, Peter Lorimer
Alan Clarke, Johnny Giles and for us I remember Graham Padden and Kevin Keelan.
Of course I was only 8 years old so its a blur. Sadly we lost to a strange
Johnny Giles shot which somehow managed to bounce over Keelan as
he dived and somersaulted (?) backwards. I still dont understand what happened.
We had a blatant penalty turned down. Final score Norwich 0 Leeds 1.