Sign in to follow this  
Cantley

One of life's little ironies

Wasn''t it Leeds Utd who sent us down nine years ago? In a very real sense we''ll be taking their Premiership place now. What goes around....

Yes it wasnt lost on me either. I remember the game well and its the only time I can ever remember wanting to hit another supporter. We had lost the game unluckily to a dodgy penalty decision.We were coming away from the game and I was nearly in tears and these Leeds fans were laughing at us in a really nasty manner and taking the p**s about us going down. I dont feel sorry for them one little bit. As you say what goes around comes around.

Yep - I remember that dodgy pen all too clearly.

Its going to be VERY tough for Wolves / Leicester / Leeds next season because all 3 of these clubs are not in the best of shape financially. Of the 3 I think Wolves are the best placed to come back up like WBA but for Leeds / Leicester I can see them struggling.

Also I remember at the last game that season - at home to Villa - the "Chase Out" thing being in full flow.

At the end of the match (1-1 I think) we traded "Chase Out" / "Ellis Out" chants with the Villa fans.

I also clearly remember singing the Vera Lynn wartime classic with them - "We''ll meet again - don''t know where, don''t know when, but I know we''ll meet again some sunny day"....

Well after 9 long years in the darkness, the sun has finally come out....

I''ve been thinking the same thing regarding vindictive leeds supporters. The season we got relegated was the year I moved away from Norwich for the first time as a teenager. It was agony watching in exile as city struggled.

I remember the Saturday we were relegated. Losing 3-2 to Leeds after we were 2-0 up. My housemate, a Leeds fan, did everything he could to rub my nose in it. While most of my mates sympathised and bought me a pint, he just laughed and laughed and laughed.

Nine years on and the shoe is on the other foot. Well guess who I''ll be writing to? I may even put on my city shirt and take a trip to leeds to visit an old housemate.

This was total justice, if a bit late!. As I watched them getting stuffed at Bolton yesterday, with their players and fans in tears at the end, it did make me smile. Am I cruel or what?.

I wonder what will happen to Leeds? If they go into administraion before the end of the season (ie in the next couple of weeks) they will be spared the 10 point penalty. Without any of their good players though, rock bottom confidence and still no money they could well do another Sheff Wednesday. I''m not sure if leeds fans reaslise just how many years out of the top flight they''ve got coming. With their financial prediciment I can''t see us hearling of Leeds for a long long time.

Just a mention by one poster about vindictive Leeds fans, I hope that some posters reflect on that when referring to Ipswich supporters and the possibility of them missing out on a climb into the prem via the last 6. Even Delia found it in her heart to wish them well, as indeed i do. The inclusion of the lesser well off clubs in the Premiership can only make it a better venue for those of us who appreciate the value of good spirit and togetherness, and achievement, secured by hard graft and solid financial practice, that here at last at Norwich, would seem to be the norm. Better than the money bags approach we have witnessed in other clubs such as Leeds and others. We are all of us mindful of our own precarious finances and it is right that we maintain what values we have appreciated under Worthy and co in our choice of players, who must have a quality of character and ideals and fighting spirit that will fit into the present set up. Onwards and upwards with fairness. OTBC!!!

Reference Leeds and possible administration, if they do go into administration I am not sure that they avoid the 10 point penalty. I think its something to do with the Nationwide "Season" starting as soon as the Premiership finishes. i.e next weekend. If thats so, they could well start off on MINUS 10 points. Anbody have the definivitive info on this?

Sorry Beelsie. No can do. I want to see Sunderland win the play offs. Nice people. Happy to shake hands with us.

but at the same time i would want the weakest team to go up via the play offs. ipswich,with all their fancy passing and goals,have the second worst defence in the leak and i can quite easily see them shipping 100 goals in a 38 game premier season.and it would be nice to have the derby in the premiership too

I agree with the sentiments expressed about Leeds, will never forget Tony Yeboah''s play-acting earning a penalty and how the Norwich players sank down with heads in hands after the final whistle.

Re wishing our "beloved" rivals well, it wasn''t so long ago that they escaped with no punishment from being in administration and got a lovely new stand without having to pay for it, so I don''t have it in my heart to wish them luck - would far rather it was Sunderland or Palace who went up. Anyway, don''t want them stealing any of our glory as far as regional coverage is concerned.

I understand Leeds are as of now a "Nationwide" club (actually a Coca Cola club) and will be docked 10 points should they now go into administration.

Shame..

Tis true At Last!! HOWEVER, a new rule was introduced a few weeks ago stating that in the close season, if a relagated club went into administration they would still be docked points. Previously it only said during the season. It was introduced to catch clubs like Leeds. However, if Leeds have any sence they will go into administration before the end of this current Premiership season. That way they will avoid the 10 point penalty as, if they were deducted points this year, it would make no difference as they were already relegated. Extremely unfair and cheeky but that''s the way it is.

I dont think they will have time to go into administration before the end of the Premeirship "Season", which presumably is the 15th May.
My understanding is that as from the 16th May, Leeds will be a Nationwide/Coca Cola Club, and if they go into adminstration at any time after that then they incur the 10 point penalty.
Is there any truly "learned" person out there who knows for a fact, rather than having just an opinion [like myself], as to what would happen if Leeds go into adminstration?

Kathy, Like your sentiments regarding Sunderland fans they are as you describe warm hearted and friendly people. I spent some of my RAF years in that area and found them to be realistic and without spite. I find that I can not allow a game to make me feel spite especially if they play football in the proper manner. Anger I can feel toward dirty or petulant players from whatever team. Supporters are just a necessary evil in the game, and the behaviour of the minority often spoils what I feel, is and can be a beautiful game. Much of what we hear from those few does not contribute anything towards a sporting atmosphere. I have watched Ipswich on the telly on one or two occasions as well as our two games. I must say that the passing skills and forward movement was extremely good, The defensive part of their game leaves much to be desired. Three players would do it. That said we must beat Sunderland tonight and win the next one against Crewe.