Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

The 59 Cup run.

It was a fantastic achievement and one that may not be bettered in modern times. I may never see the club reach those heights again in my life.

But please please please, can we let it go now! I opened up the EDP to be greeted with the "59 Cup Run Supplement!"

We all know what happened, how it united the City, put the City on the map and how we beat Man Utd blah blah blah.......

But its now been 50yrs and if im right in thinking the club were planning another celebration to mark the occasion again. Now is the time to stop living on past glories.

We all want the club to go forward but its living in the past like this that gives us this small club/non successful mentallity! I find it all a bit embarrassing now tbh!

Afterall....didnt we all laugh at the Binners for an FA Cup winning 30yr anniversary parade?

Spot on sir, we need to move forward and look to future success, otherwise as you say, we will be trapped in the past.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

It was a fantastic achievement and one that may not be bettered in modern times. I may never see the club reach those heights again in my life.

But please please please, can we let it go now! I opened up the EDP to be greeted with the "59 Cup Run Supplement!"

We all know what happened, how it united the City, put the City on the map and how we beat Man Utd blah blah blah.......

But its now been 50yrs and if im right in thinking the club were planning another celebration to mark the occasion again. Now is the time to stop living on past glories.

We all want the club to go forward but its living in the past like this that gives us this small club/non successful mentallity! I find it all a bit embarrassing now tbh!

Afterall....didnt we all laugh at the Binners for an FA Cup winning 30yr anniversary parade?

[/quote]

At least they have won the cup.

that is the prbolem with English football.. every one dwells in the past...

All you hear at big tournaments is 66, 42 years of hurt blah blah blah.. well all i can say is bo***cks to 1966!!

England go into every tournament looking back at a sunny day at Wembley when 80% of the crowd werent even born! its this failure to move on and admit that they arent very good which has held England back...

its in the past.. it happened... yes it was good and its nice to see Englands name on a list of world cup winners but lets face it who is sick of everyone hearing about it?

in 8 years time it wil be 50 years, half a century, since Englands win.. people will still be going on.. and on.. and ON about it like it was the best sporting moment ever... just like they do with the Rugby world cup, or Beefys Ashes... or any other sporting event that took place yonks ago!

How Many Uruguay fans go on about "1930 and all that"?

england need to look at the present.. 66 is just a picture in a book now.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

that is the prbolem with English football.. every one dwells in the past...

All you hear at big tournaments is 66, 42 years of hurt blah blah blah.. well all i can say is bo***cks to 1966!!

England go into every tournament looking back at a sunny day at Wembley when 80% of the crowd werent even born! its this failure to move on and admit that they arent very good which has held England back...

its in the past.. it happened... yes it was good and its nice to see Englands name on a list of world cup winners but lets face it who is sick of everyone hearing about it?

in 8 years time it wil be 50 years, half a century, since Englands win.. people will still be going on.. and on.. and ON about it like it was the best sporting moment ever... just like they do with the Rugby world cup, or Beefys Ashes... or any other sporting event that took place yonks ago!

How Many Uruguay fans go on about "1930 and all that"?

england need to look at the present.. 66 is just a picture in a book now.

jas :)

[/quote]I agree Jas - I would even go one step further in saying that even at the time I think a lot of people would agree that the ''66 squad were primarily a strong, hardworking "team". It''s a lesson that we still haven''t learnt to this day.Greece won the Euro''s four years ago with a team that were not technicaly the best team in the world, but then they worked hard together and diven''t let the opposition have any ground without having to fight for it. I sometimes wonder about our international players, to me it some times seems like its a "bonus" to them. I like Copello for at least trying out players from further afield - Louis. What you need is the desire as well as the quality but there are times when the desire can match the quality.That cup run may well have been great but times have changed - it was arguably a much more level competition back then as a lot of teams were semi-pro and the footballers held down jobs as well as played in a lot of cases. I would recomend a Sir Stanley Matthews book I have read but I can''t remember the exact name of it etc but it was pretty detailed in football behind the scenes back then. Even my Grandfather, a life long supporter of West Ham used to tell me in the early ''90s that football was reaching the end of an era.This may sound rather stupid but if we are facing another recession as some claim - it may do football some good in this country with teams not being able to pay the wages that attract the bigger foreign stars we may see more faith put into the younger homegrown players once more. I think back to the days of Gazza, Lineker etc, I wonder if Gazza would have made it today with his attitude/problems?

Trouble is that us old City fans have had  few exceptional memorable events to recall and wax lyrical about in the last 50 years or so.

Methinks when many of you become Grandparents you will bore them stiff about the time we were once Premiership members for one season or how Kings Lynn were once only a non league team etc etc.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Can you sit down please.

Yet another excuse to forgive the persistent failure of the Smith regime.

OTBC

[/quote]

Yep....The Championship Season and the brief flirtation with the Premier.

I knew this would boil back down to Delia somehow!

GORLESTON......gd comments, made me chuckle and think of the Werthers Adverts! "In my day we used to stand, honest!"