Sign in to follow this  
ellis206

To all the Doom-mongerers

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

That said, one thing that has been niggling me is that he didn''t actually approach the club - in his own words - since October, so I''m not sure quite how the club was meant to be aware that his interest was still there and still serious?  It does seem that he has used the media to barge his way in, which is a slightly odd way to have done things.

[/quote]

As I understand it Branston, the club turned down the £5 million in October, then there was some sort of "friendly arm-wrestle" over the valuation of the club sometime between October and the turn of the year, and PC left it that his offer still stood.  He didn''t withdraw it and they didn''t contact him. 

[quote user="Larry David"]15 years ago, we were preparing for our first ever season in Europe, having just had our greatest ever season. I''d quite like to go back to those ''dark days''
[/quote]

15 years ago, QPR were the highest placed London club.

15 years ago, Manchester United won their first title in 26 years.

15 years ago, Sheffield Wednesday reached both cup finals.

15 years ago, Leeds were the previous champions.

15 years ago, Oldham were in the Premiership

15 years ago, they''d just brought in the back pass rule.

15 years ago, it was possible to break into the top three, if you weren''t a "top club"

Also, anyone remember Gary Megson''s second spell? I''m pretty sure we haven''t watched football as genuinely sh*te since.

As somebody has pointed out, yes we were only 6 Million in debt under Chase, but that 6 Million was a debt we couldn''t afford to pay (there was a lot less money in football those days as well), Yes we have a 16 Million debt at the moment, but that is a structured debt and is no different from you taking out a mortgage on a house or taking out a bank loan or whatever. The 6 million debt we had previously would have bankrupted the club, people forget that at one point Delia was paying the players wages out of her own pocket, how many of you would make such a sacrifice like that? By the sounds of it, you buy your season tickets and then moan and threaten to rip up your season ticket (good riddance!). The stadium now looks magnificent, the training ground is one of the best in the country, and everything is set up to a premierleague standard, unfortunatley the team hasn''t been up to scratch recently,  but you cannot blame the board for what happens on the pitch, as far as im aware its the boards job to purchase the targets chosen by the manager. And I can''t remember any of our managers saying that the board hasn''t supported them?? in fact even as recently as last January Roeder came out and declared that the board have fully backed him but HE didn''t want to purchase Taylor at that price, but your all ignorant to that fact and prefer to blame the wrong people as they are an easier target. And for all the doom mongerers who recently stated that Norwich City were close to administration, where do you come up with these rumours and lies? And to the person who said that Delia is only speaking to PC because all the fans are on her back, well from what I can see, its only people on here (the usual Doom mongerers) that have been getting on her case..... but I really think she has much more important things to do than sit on the pink un forums reading what the most unloyal and negative fans have to say!

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]Chase actually bought a lot of land for the club in the area and boy was it cheap in them days.

Maybe he was not as daft as we thought
, Delia has sold all the land, we have a side worth nothing and we are an extra 10 Million in debt. Fantastic!

I hope Cullum wishes to set the Club up in a strong position both on and off the pitch for the next 20-30 years it would be great to see.

I believe Delia had the clubs best interests at heart, she was just not very good at running a football club! She does not seem to realise that good players make a succesful football club and they cost money!! I think we got lucky with promotion, due to no injuries and a good squad spirit (Not particularly good players, we only won games by 1 goal and no thrashings were handed out like Reading) The decision to buy Ashton too late was a massive mistake, the decision to keep Worthy on was an awful one (I believe she got to close and emotional) and I believe since then we have been up Shit creek without a paddle as they say.

I hope she leaves on a good note though.
[/quote]

i think you will find if you remember chase brought alot of land in spain to with the clubs money and sold it to him self cheap lol but your right he did leave us with alot of land along riverside road too which delia has sold!!!

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]Chase actually bought a lot of land for the club in the area and boy was it cheap in them days.

Maybe he was not as daft as we thought
, Delia has sold all the land, we have a side worth nothing and we are an extra 10 Million in debt. Fantastic!

I hope Cullum wishes to set the Club up in a strong position both on and off the pitch for the next 20-30 years it would be great to see.

I believe Delia had the clubs best interests at heart, she was just not very good at running a football club! She does not seem to realise that good players make a succesful football club and they cost money!! I think we got lucky with promotion, due to no injuries and a good squad spirit (Not particularly good players, we only won games by 1 goal and no thrashings were handed out like Reading) The decision to buy Ashton too late was a massive mistake, the decision to keep Worthy on was an awful one (I believe she got to close and emotional) and I believe since then we have been up Shit creek without a paddle as they say.

[/quote]

i think you will find if you remember chase brought alot of land in spain to with the clubs money and sold it to him self cheap lol but your right he did leave us with alot of land along riverside road too which delia has sold!!!

In the Chase days you could be proud of the team and thats what Norwich City is a FOOTBALL team , under Delia Smith the football  has become a disgrace , end of the day supporters dont worry to much about having a nice ground and manageable debt they just want to watch a decent football side at the weekend.

Maybe he was not as daft as we thought, Delia has sold all the land, we have a side worth nothing and we are an extra 10 Million in debt. Fantastic!

[/quote]

It was the 6m debt that did for Chase though Snakepit. He gambled and lost. You never hear me criticise him too much though, Robert Chase was a City fan just like Watling, South before him and Smith&Jones after, they all support the club and all did good things for the club. Chase, like me, had seen us relegated from the top flight three times and each time we bounced back and got promoted at the first attempt. After we were relegated in 1995 Chase always believed we would bounce straight back. Even during that awful season of protest and police horses he was writing to shareholders saying we could still make the play offs. But then the bank forced the sales of Ward and Newsome and it was game over.

Snakepit - I really enjoyed that Championship season, we were head and shoulders above the other teams and finished with a goal difference nearly twice as good as any other side.

Our premiership season was full of highs and lows, people love to remember the lows right now but it should always be remembered that we started the final game outside the bottom 3 with our future in our own hands. Most fans would have accepted that scenario at the start of the season and at any other point during that season. Fulham was one hell of a bitter pill to swallow and was a real kick in nuts for all of us. Fulham was the big turning point, with hindsight changes could have been made after that.

The whole atmosphere changed after relegation. Because The Ricoh wasn''t finished we started the next season with 3 home games and didn''t win any of them. It all seemed downhill after that and there''s not been many highs since, but don''t let that cloud your memories of 2002 to 2005 which were happy times for us fans.

If this is the time for another change at the top I have no doubt that Peter Cullum will carry on the tradition of there being a true fan in charge. I say that with a bit of certainty because I don''t believe Delia & MWJ will sell to him if they don''t believe he is right for the club. Just as Watling would never have sold to them if they weren''t right.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]In the Chase days you could be proud of the team and thats what Norwich City is a FOOTBALL team , under Delia Smith the football  has become a disgrace , end of the day supporters dont worry to much about having a nice ground and manageable debt they just want to watch a decent football side at the weekend.[/quote]Yes under Chase we did have a superb team, there is no denying that, though football has changed dramatically now, and to assemble a team that would finish 3rd in the premier league, would now cost us £80 million at least, in those days you didn''t have to break the bank. And under Delia Smith the team has become a disgrace???? I don''t think i''ve seen Delia Smith giving the team a pre match tactical speech, or telling our managers who to buy, so you can''t blame Delia for Norwich playing poorly! even though tbh I thought we played some exceptional football last year when GR came in, much better football than the likes of Stoke who still managed to get themselves promoted!

[quote user="ellis206"]Are you all now going to apologize to the board for accusing them of not wanting to talk to Peter Cullum and for not wanting to let go???
[/quote]

no.. they could of spoken to him months ago and we could be in the premiership now....

also, i dont think they did want to talk to cullum.. he has used the press wisely to box them into a corner so they now have no choice...

Our board are naive to the point they have no choice but to talk to Cullum.. id rather have a shrewd billionair business man on the club than a chef, a solicitor, and 2 friends of Delia...

jas :)

[quote user="ellis206"]As somebody has pointed out, yes we were only 6 Million in debt under Chase, but that 6 Million was a debt we couldn''t afford to pay (there was a lot less money in football those days as well), Yes we have a 16 Million debt at the moment, but that is a structured debt and is no different from you taking out a mortgage on a house or taking out a bank loan or whatever. The 6 million debt we had previously would have bankrupted the club, people forget that at one point Delia was paying the players wages out of her own pocket, how many of you would make such a sacrifice like that? By the sounds of it, you buy your season tickets and then moan and threaten to rip up your season ticket (good riddance!). The stadium now looks magnificent, the training ground is one of the best in the country, and everything is set up to a premierleague standard, unfortunatley the team hasn''t been up to scratch recently,  but you cannot blame the board for what happens on the pitch, as far as im aware its the boards job to purchase the targets chosen by the manager. And I can''t remember any of our managers saying that the board hasn''t supported them?? in fact even as recently as last January Roeder came out and declared that the board have fully backed him but HE didn''t want to purchase Taylor at that price, but your all ignorant to that fact and prefer to blame the wrong people as they are an easier target.
And for all the doom mongerers who recently stated that Norwich City were close to administration, where do you come up with these rumours and lies?
And to the person who said that Delia is only speaking to PC because all the fans are on her back, well from what I can see, its only people on here (the usual Doom mongerers) that have been getting on her case..... but I really think she has much more important things to do than sit on the pink un forums reading what the most unloyal and negative fans have to say!
[/quote]

Unloyal ????? My loyalty has NEVER been to the board, my loyalty has ALWAY and will ALWAYS be firstly to the club, the badge, the yellow and green.  Who do you think you are calling us unloyal for having a different opinion to you?

[quote user="Salahuddin"]Ha Ha Ha, thats really funny, maybe its because Delia has been backed into a corner and really has no choice now![/quote]

Hail hit on head...........well said Salahuddin.[Y]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Salahuddin"]Ha Ha Ha, thats really funny, maybe its because Delia has been backed into a corner and really has no choice now![/quote]

[/quote]

Hail?..........I''ve been at Delia''s cooking sherry again!.........burp![:$]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

Hail?..........I''ve been at Delia''s cooking sherry again!.........burp![:$]

[/quote]

I''d always imagined you to be an Omega or White Lightning kind of guy. [:)][;)]

[quote user="ricardo"]

[quote user="ellis206"]Are you all now going to apologize to the board for accusing them of not wanting to talk to Peter Cullum and for not wanting to let go???
I personally think the board is doing a wonderful job and has done a superb job of making Norwich City FC a stable club again, if you can remember the Chase days then you''d know how lucky we are now! and 15 years ago we''d have loved to have been in this position financially! I also respect the fact that they''d only sell NCFC to a fan who has the clubs best interests at heart, if every club had a board like ours then you''d see a lot less clubs go into Administration!
[/quote]

How blind can you be Ellis. When Chase left we had a 6 million debt, now it''s 16 million.

Delia backed herself into a corner when she mouthed off about non existant new finance. She never wanted to talk to Cullum but he simply called her bluff. All she can do now is give in gracefully because if he wants the club he will certainly get it. I think it will be run much better by a business man with financial clout and expertise rather than a celebrity chef.

I hope she stays on as the front person as she has the show biz and restuarant expertise but I fear she may go off in a huff if she loses control of here toy.

[/quote]

When will you idiots learn? Chase backed us into a corner so that we had no choice but to take on more debt - or go bankrupt. End of story.

I personally think the board is doing a wonderful job and has done a superb job of making Norwich City FC a stable club again, if you can remember the Chase days then you''d know how lucky we are now! and 15 years ago we''d have loved to have been in this position financially! I also respect the fact that they''d only sell NCFC to a fan who has the clubs best interests at heart, if every club had a board like ours then you''d see a lot less clubs go into Administration!
[/quote]

Wrong on all counts. Delia has known of PCs interest for months, its only becasue he went public through frustration they had no other choice but to talk or look like liars. We are no better off than we were under chase-our lowest league finish in over 50 years might give you a clue! If every club had a board like ours?????. This position finacialy? Are you serious? Unless they let PC in we are in the crap!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]

[quote user="ellis206"]Are you all now going to apologize to the board for accusing them of not wanting to talk to Peter Cullum and for not wanting to let go??? I personally think the board is doing a wonderful job and has done a superb job of making Norwich City FC a stable club again, if you can remember the Chase days then you''d know how lucky we are now! and 15 years ago we''d have loved to have been in this position financially! I also respect the fact that they''d only sell NCFC to a fan who has the clubs best interests at heart, if every club had a board like ours then you''d see a lot less clubs go into Administration![/quote]

Wrong on all counts. Delia has known of PCs interest for months, its only becasue he went public through frustration they had no other choice but to talk or look like liars. We are no better off than we were under chase-our lowest league finish in over 50 years might give you a clue! If every club had a board like ours?????. This position finacialy? Are you serious? Unless they let PC in we are in the crap!

[/quote]How are we in the crap if we don''t let PC in? You don''t realize the strength of our financial position compared to a lot of others, yes granted we can''t compete with a lot of clubs now financially in the transfer window, but that doesn''t mean that the club is on the brink of administration, unfortunately the prices of players has gone up ten fold, and the income outside the premier league is next to none! To put things into perspective to all of you who think we are run badly, look at Southampton, they were getting 30 odd thousand a week watching them, they were an established premier league side for many years, they''ve been in a cup final, and the income they''ve made from the premier league would be money we could only dream of, yet they are now on the brink of administration, and have closed one of their stands off for the season because they cannot afford to finance the running costs, I can bet you my life that if Norwich spent 10 years as an established premiership side then got relegated, that wouldn''t happen to us, why? because we have a superb board!

Ellis you are funny, have you ever thought about going on a whistle stop comedy tour?......Oh hang on I actually think you are serious [:S][:D]

So please explain to me what our financial strengths are?  I mean apart from the catering, the land, the hotel etc, I mean on the pitch you know where the football gets played, because I have to say for the past two season there has been no real investment.  My god even the board say prudence with ambition, and they didn''t lie about the prudence bit, but they did about the ambition.

[quote user="ellis206"]

How are we in the crap if we don''t let PC in? You don''t realize the strength of our financial position compared to a lot of others, yes granted we can''t compete with a lot of clubs now financially in the transfer window, but that doesn''t mean that the club is on the brink of administration, unfortunately the prices of players has gone up ten fold, and the income outside the premier league is next to none! To put things into perspective to all of you who think we are run badly, look at Southampton, they were getting 30 odd thousand a week watching them, they were an established premier league side for many years, they''ve been in a cup final, and the income they''ve made from the premier league would be money we could only dream of, yet they are now on the brink of administration, and have closed one of their stands off for the season because they cannot afford to finance the running costs, I can bet you my life that if Norwich spent 10 years as an established premiership side then got relegated, that wouldn''t happen to us, why? because we have a superb board!
[/quote]

Last time I looked we were relegation battlers, sliding down the championship season on season... with what looks like a mediocre side at best for next season.

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How are we in the crap if we don''t let PC in? You don''t realize the strength of our financial position compared to a lot of others, yes granted we can''t compete with a lot of clubs now financially in the transfer window, but that doesn''t mean that the club is on the brink of administration, unfortunately the prices of players has gone up ten fold, and the income outside the premier league is next to none! To put things into perspective to all of you who think we are run badly, look at Southampton, they were getting 30 odd thousand a week watching them, they were an established premier league side for many years, they''ve been in a cup final, and the income they''ve made from the premier league would be money we could only dream of, yet they are now on the brink of administration, and have closed one of their stands off for the season because they cannot afford to finance the running costs, I can bet you my life that if Norwich spent 10 years as an established premiership side then got relegated, that wouldn''t happen to us, why? because we have a superb board!
[/quote]

Ellis my friend, i know you mean well, but look at last season. If we cant provide transfer funds to this squad we ARE  in the crap. Lowest position in over 50 years mate, speaks volumes does it not?

See thats where you are wrong WearYellows, Grant did spend a lot of money last summer, we spent more than most clubs in the league, we also had large sums of money on the table for Eastwood and Sharpe, so PG was supported, and he even said that the board have supported him, as has GR as has NW, so I do believe these managers know more than you.

[quote user="ellis206"]See thats where you are wrong WearYellows, Grant did spend a lot of money last summer, we spent more than most clubs in the league, we also had large sums of money on the table for Eastwood and Sharpe, so PG was supported, and he even said that the board have supported him, as has GR as has NW, so I do believe these managers know more than you.
[/quote]

Who has critisised the managers????? Not me.  So where in my post above have I crtisised managers????

Grant did spend money, not a lot, but he spent money mostly on mediocre players.  Im sorry but telling me I''m wrong and being wrong yourself, I would say that we will have to agree to disagree.

[quote user="ellis206"]See thats where you are wrong WearYellows, Grant did spend a lot of money last summer, we spent more than most clubs in the league, we also had large sums of money on the table for Eastwood and Sharpe, so PG was supported, and he even said that the board have supported him, as has GR as has NW, so I do believe these managers know more than you.
[/quote]

Only cos we sold £3.5 million Earnshaw, £1.5 million Etuhu, £350,000 Hughes, £200,000 Safri and released a host of other players.

[/quote]

As if the manager would say so publicly if they hadn''t . . . grow up ellis

As a matter of fact NW got pretty close to it by saying "you have to pay the going rate" after our derisory bid for Steve Howard.

[/quote]

You seem quick off the mark to mention Southampton but what about the clubs like Stoke and Bristol city, Hull, West Brom...etc etc. Our board have failed to cut it because they have been FAR to prudent. We''ve only ever spent half of any transfer money we''ve earnt, last season we sold over 6 million worth of squad and invested less than half on crap. They are clueless with regards to FOOTBALL [remember that sport ellis?] What was it Huckerby said about selling our best players? We''re going no where fast under this lot and the quicker you get your head round it the better my friend!

No Fat Prophet, the manager wouldn''t say anything at all if they didn''t feel they had the support from the board, they wouldn''t come out publicly and say that they have support from the board!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]

[quote user="ellis206"]See thats where you are wrong WearYellows, Grant did spend a lot of money last summer, we spent more than most clubs in the league, we also had large sums of money on the table for Eastwood and Sharpe, so PG was supported, and he even said that the board have supported him, as has GR as has NW, so I do believe these managers know more than you.[/quote]

You seem quick off the mark to mention Southampton but what about the clubs like Stoke and Bristol city, Hull, West Brom...etc etc. Our board have failed to cut it because they have been FAR to prudent. We''ve only ever spent half of any transfer money we''ve earnt, last season we sold over 6 million worth of squad and invested less than half on crap. They are clueless with regards to FOOTBALL [remember that sport ellis?] What was it Huckerby said about selling our best players? We''re going no where fast under this lot and the quicker you get your head round it the better my friend!

[/quote]Great examples there Arthur, it just so happens that we spent more money than Stoke, Bristol and Hull last season, so you have just made the point that you don''t need to spend millions upon millions of pounds to get up (though it does help of course), so our board has supported our managers more than Stokes, Hulls and Bristols have, we just had a shocking manager at the start of the year, And Hucks was frustrated about Etuhu and Earnshaw going, and that was out of our hands.

[quote user="ellis206"]No Fat Prophet, the manager wouldn''t say anything at all if they didn''t feel they had the support from the board, they wouldn''t come out publicly and say that they have support from the board!
[/quote]

True they wouldn''t volunteer the information, but if a journalist asked them directly (as any journo worth their salt would do) they''d have to say something.

[quote user="Fat Prophet"]

[/quote]

As a matter of fact NW got pretty close to it by saying "you have to pay the going rate" after our derisory bid for Steve Howard.

[/quote]

I was going to say the same actually. Thy only ever say it when they are employed by the club. If you listened to NW''s quotes, they pretty much alwas summed up a frustration in a lack of ambition, even GR has hinted as much by his reminder to the board about Transfer funds. They''ll never go public after because it tarnish''s the reputation.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"][quote user="Fat Prophet"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was going to say the same actually. Thy only ever say it when they are employed by the club. If you listened to NW''s quotes, they pretty much alwas summed up a frustration in a lack of ambition, even GR has hinted as much by his reminder to the board about Transfer funds. They''ll never go public after because it tarnish''s the reputation.

[/quote]

Exactly Arthur.  Given the precarious nature of football management, the manager thinks not only of his current job but of being able to get another one.  A manager speaking out in the press against his employers (past or present) is poison, and word gets around.  Martin O''Neill could have had so much to say about Chase but he never breathed a word.  Not because of any consideration towards Chase but because of his future employment prospects.