Sign in to follow this  
Kidderminster Canary

Re: WEB TEAM please remove these posters

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Sorry Vince but I think you''ve got this one badly wrong.

The comparison between Delia and Robert Mugabe was meant to show how ridiculous some of the things that were being posted with regard to the prospective Cullum takeover were. A cursory glance at the six or so pages that followed the original post would have shown this quite clearly.

I''ll be watching the posts of some of those who complained very closely from now on just in case I see something I find offensive.
[/quote]

I think you should just back down and forget you ever got invoved.

Questioning the mods. You''re a disgrace. [:$]

Chrisr, while I see your points and they are well made, I have to interject on the basis that there is a difference between banter between people, and comments made against people. As you state, 80% of stuff on here is, arguably, in breach of that rule - but I bet it falls into that banter category.As much as we hate to admit it, there is a bit of keyboard warrior in most here, myself included. It''s natural when it comes to something like football that invokes passions for there to be clashes of heads and for banter to go a bit over the top. I, like most I would suspect, forget it all (with the exception of 1st Wizard) as soon as I log out or close the computer down. However, a line has got to be drawn, and comparisons of Delia Smith to Robert Mugabe, even satirical ones, are well beyond that line and shouldn''t need justifying or reasoning. The same as posts from another recent thread where another user (now banned, thankfully) suggested I should kill myself by hanging or sticking my head in an oven. These are simply disgusting, disgraceful comments that crosses that line, IMO. Thankfully, we have a group of moderators that seem to agree.

[quote user="Thecullumfan thecanaryfan"]

[/quote]Seems to me that quite a few of my fellow posters agree with me.I''ll question who I like, if Vince has a problem I''m sure he''ll tell me without any need for you to get involved.

I have to agree with Shack here. No offence was meant to be caused, it was simply a thread to highlight how ridiculous some posters had got. Nothing was meant by it, if he had said Delia is like *insert evil fictional character''s name* then would people still be complaining? Probably not, although the meaning is still the same.

[quote user="Fellas"]I have to agree with Shack here. No offence was meant to be caused, it was simply a thread to highlight how ridiculous some posters had got. Nothing was meant by it, if he had said Delia is like *insert evil fictional character''s name* then would people still be complaining? Probably not, although the meaning is still the same.
[/quote]It was exactly that. Seemed pretty obvious really.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Thecullumfan thecanaryfan"]

[/quote]

Seems to me that quite a few of my fellow posters agree with me.

I''ll question who I like, if Vince has a problem I''m sure he''ll tell me without any need for you to get involved.
[/quote]

Well if they do agree with you Shack they are all extremely foolish.

I''d say Vince has already outlined that he has a problem with you and any other idiot with a narror minded attitude on here. I think the word he used was AWFUL. My sentiments exactly.

[quote user="astrodyne"]I think you need to see a doctor - don''t you realise that a kids way of handling something they don''t understand is to laugh about it? How can you possibly claim to know what 1st wizard was thinking when he responded to the post. You seriously need to get a grip![/quote]Yes, you''re probably right. Children should be allowed to "handle" their lack of understanding of other people''s suffering by jeering at them & regarding their lives as nothing. I''m sure they will spontaneously become admirable members of society.I inferred 1st Wizard''s thoughts from the words he wrote.

[quote user="Fellas"]I have to agree with Shack here. No offence was meant to be caused, it was simply a thread to highlight how ridiculous some posters had got. Nothing was meant by it, if he had said Delia is like *insert evil fictional character''s name who isn''t real and hasn''t really killed, maimed and intimidated hundreds of people in the recent past* then would people still be complaining? Probably not, although the meaning is still the same.[/quote]Just editing your post above to show you the slight flaw in your thinking

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"]Chrisr, while I see your points and they are well made, I have to interject on the basis that there is a difference between banter between people, and comments made against people. As you state, 80% of stuff on here is, arguably, in breach of that rule - but I bet it falls into that banter category.As much as we hate to admit it, there is a bit of keyboard warrior in most here, myself included. It''s natural when it comes to something like football that invokes passions for there to be clashes of heads and for banter to go a bit over the top. I, like most I would suspect, forget it all (with the exception of 1st Wizard) as soon as I log out or close the computer down. However, a line has got to be drawn, and comparisons of Delia Smith to Robert Mugabe, even satirical ones, are well beyond that line and shouldn''t need justifying or reasoning. The same as posts from another recent thread where another user (now banned, thankfully) suggested I should kill myself by hanging or sticking my head in an oven. These are simply disgusting, disgraceful comments that crosses that line, IMO. Thankfully, we have a group of moderators that seem to agree. [/quote]Yes MMM, I''m with you on consideration. I saw a different thread earlier commenting on this where the Rwandan massacre was used satirically. I first recoiled in disgust before just being relieved that it was satirical. I took the Mugabe comment as immediately ironic (because I couldn''t see anyone in their right mind making an actual comparison). But it is all in how it is recieved. I guess this kind of stuff is best left on the comedy stage or in the pub. (or maybe the terraces, sorry but last year''s "childhood obesity" chant at carrow rd was pure satire)I wonder though that much of the vitroil this week has gone way beyond banter on many sides.  

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"][quote user="Fellas"]I have to agree with Shack here. No offence was meant to be caused, it was simply a thread to highlight how ridiculous some posters had got. Nothing was meant by it, if he had said Delia is like *insert evil fictional character''s name who isn''t real and hasn''t really killed, maimed and intimidated hundreds of people in the recent past* then would people still be complaining? Probably not, although the meaning is still the same.
[/quote]

Just editing your post above to show you the slight flaw in your thinking
[/quote]

LOL

Why can some people not seem to realise that, whilst YES it WAS satirical, it was also in extremely bad taste. Therefore it broke the two points of the Code of Conduct that Vince posted so that either he or Pete had to take the appropriate course of action, which in my opinion they did.

[quote user="Thecullumfan thecanaryfan"]

I''d say Vince has already outlined that he has a problem with you and any other idiot with a narror minded attitude on here. I think the word he used was AWFUL. My sentiments exactly.

[/quote]Maybe Vince will ban me then if I''m that awful. Perhaps he can ban all of the other ''extremely foolish'' posters that you find so offensive. Then you can just chat with people who hold exactly the same point of view that you do because anything else clearly makes your little head hurt.

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]Why can some people not seem to realise that, whilst YES it WAS satirical, it was also in extremely bad taste. Therefore it broke the two points of the Code of Conduct that Vince posted so that either he or Pete had to take the appropriate course of action, which in my opinion they did.[/quote]How can it be in bad taste to be in effect saying that the way Delia has been treated you would think that she was somebody like Mugabe. That is in effect what Mr Chopps was illustrating.

[quote user="Chrisr"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"]Chrisr, while I see your points and they are well made, I have to interject on the basis that there is a difference between banter between people, and comments made against people. As you state, 80% of stuff on here is, arguably, in breach of that rule - but I bet it falls into that banter category.As much as we hate to admit it, there is a bit of keyboard warrior in most here, myself included. It''s natural when it comes to something like football that invokes passions for there to be clashes of heads and for banter to go a bit over the top. I, like most I would suspect, forget it all (with the exception of 1st Wizard) as soon as I log out or close the computer down. However, a line has got to be drawn, and comparisons of Delia Smith to Robert Mugabe, even satirical ones, are well beyond that line and shouldn''t need justifying or reasoning. The same as posts from another recent thread where another user (now banned, thankfully) suggested I should kill myself by hanging or sticking my head in an oven. These are simply disgusting, disgraceful comments that crosses that line, IMO. Thankfully, we have a group of moderators that seem to agree. [/quote]Yes MMM, I''m with you on consideration. I saw a different thread earlier commenting on this where the Rwandan massacre was used satirically. I first recoiled in disgust before just being relieved that it was satirical. I took the Mugabe comment as immediately ironic (because I couldn''t see anyone in their right mind making an actual comparison). But it is all in how it is recieved. I guess this kind of stuff is best left on the comedy stage or in the pub. (or maybe the terraces, sorry but last year''s "childhood obesity" chant at carrow rd was pure satire)I wonder though that much of the vitroil this week has gone way beyond banter on many sides.   [/quote]I totally agree, mate. Especially with your comment about vitriol having gone too far - people forget this is football, a sport we''re on about. Yet some, myself included in the heat of the moment, get far, far too personal in a bid for what? Some seem to treat this as some sort of virtual arena where gladiatorial combat takes place - which is totally ridiculous! We''re all Norwich fans, we all want to see the team do well (with perhaps the odd one or two exceptions who simply do nothing except moan and criticise and we all know who they are). We may all very well have differing opinions on how the club can do well, but frankly that''s all they are. Opinions. We can discuss them to the cows come home, it will all be largely irrelevant.Some don''t seem to see that though - they seem to think they can change the club. I think it''s why this SCG thing is kicking off - because people don''t want to think they are missing out on a way to influence the club in some small manner. Same with those who keep complaining about missing out on the NCISA meeting with Roeder in which things were said which to this day have not been broadcast.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Thecullumfan thecanaryfan"]

[/quote]

Maybe Vince will ban me then if I''m that awful. Perhaps he can ban all of the other ''extremely foolish'' posters that you find so offensive. Then you can just chat with people who hold exactly the same point of view that you do because anything else clearly makes your little head hurt.
[/quote]Shack Attack; you are certainly not foolish. However Cullumfan you are no doubt a bit slow and find the simplest of things difficult to understand.

[quote user="tribes"][quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]Why can some people not seem to realise that, whilst YES it WAS satirical, it was also in extremely bad taste. Therefore it broke the two points of the Code of Conduct that Vince posted so that either he or Pete had to take the appropriate course of action, which in my opinion they did.[/quote]How can it be in bad taste to be in effect saying that the way Delia has been treated you would think that she was somebody like Mugabe. That is in effect what Mr Chopps was illustrating.[/quote]

Well are there not other examples he could have used? Did he really have to use him?

What he did broke the two points of the Code of Conduct, sorry but there''s just no argument to that.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"][quote user="Fellas"]I have to agree with Shack here. No offence was meant to be caused, it was simply a thread to highlight how ridiculous some posters had got. Nothing was meant by it, if he had said Delia is like *insert evil fictional character''s name who isn''t real and hasn''t really killed, maimed and intimidated hundreds of people in the recent past* then would people still be complaining? Probably not, although the meaning is still the same.[/quote]Just editing your post above to show you the slight flaw in your thinking[/quote]So? What about all the hitler jokes? Or world war two jokes? I mean I could go on and on about all the jokes us Brits have, especially considering we are probably the leading country for black humour. If you don''t like it go to america and laugh at a bunch of slapstick.Seriously, it was a joke that some people have taken far too seriously, that said you always seem to take things far to seriously, so i should base my assumptions solely upon your reaction. One of the things that annoys me most on this forum is the anti-anti police. To be honest, everybody has their right to say something and everybody has their right to thing that wrong/silly, the say that Mr. Chops comments are out of hand are silly when the whole point of the post was to say how silly people are being, not to make fun of the current situation in zimbabwe.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Did Mister Chops get banned?[/quote]

I''d be a bit surprised if he did get banned, surely a thread removal along with one warning (Like what is stated in Celia''s ''new code of conduct'' thread in the Announcements section) from either Vince or Pete would be enough?

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"][quote user="Fellas"]I have to agree with Shack here. No offence was meant to be caused, it was simply a thread to highlight how ridiculous some posters had got. Nothing was meant by it, if he had said Delia is like *insert evil fictional character''s name who isn''t real and hasn''t really killed, maimed and intimidated hundreds of people in the recent past* then would people still be complaining? Probably not, although the meaning is still the same.[/quote]Just editing your post above to show you the slight flaw in your thinking[/quote]So? What about all the hitler jokes? Or world war two jokes? I mean I could go on and on about all the jokes us Brits have, especially considering we are probably the leading country for black humour. If you don''t like it go to america and laugh at a bunch of slapstick.Seriously, it was a joke that some people have taken far too seriously, that said you always seem to take things far to seriously, so i should base my assumptions solely upon your reaction. One of the things that annoys me most on this forum is the anti-anti police. To be honest, everybody has their right to say something and everybody has their right to thing that wrong/silly, the say that Mr. Chops comments are out of hand are silly when the whole point of the post was to say how silly people are being, not to make fun of the current situation in zimbabwe. [/quote]

Least Zimbabwe have a sorta election...  We''re lumbered with the Cook without a chance of shifting her on.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Sorry Vince but I think you''ve got this one badly wrong.

The comparison between Delia and Robert Mugabe was meant to show how ridiculous some of the things that were being posted with regard to the prospective Cullum takeover were. A cursory glance at the six or so pages that followed the original post would have shown this quite clearly.

I''ll be watching the posts of some of those who complained very closely from now on just in case I see something I find offensive.
[/quote]

I totally agree Shack but I think you should look at the bigger picture. We should all have a warm feeling inside tonight as we go to our beds safe in the knowledge that even in todays big bad world there are people prepared to risk life and limb and press a report button to make the world a safer place.

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]Why can some people not seem to realise that, whilst YES it WAS satirical, it was also in extremely bad taste. [/quote]

Quite right - it was poor satire in that it was not funny (the whole situation it sought to draw parallels with is just too awful and too current to be the source of humour).  This country does however have a great reputation for using satire to challenge the establishment and generally accepted wisdom - it''s why shows like Have I got News for You and magazines like Private Eye are so popular.  The Brass Eye Peadophilia programme (and the ridiculous reaction to it) has real similarity to the screams of righteous indignation that poured out on here this afternoon and again this evening.  The difference is that Brass Eye was funny - the post in question here was not.

I agree the taste was questionable - though taste and humour are very personal things and although it made me draw breath I would not have described it as "extremely bad taste" but rather as misguided.  I suspect Mr C would agree in hindsight.

The decision to remove the thread?  Also misguided but ultimately inevitable in my opinion because the post does breach the conduct code Vince refers to I accept, but then so do a whole lot of others I have seen.  In the last week someone claimed Mr Roeder was unable to make decisions due to having brain damage, the torrent of personal abuse between posters over the takeover etc.  The difficulty is though that we all have different lines in relation to what offends us - who judges what is reasonable in these instances?   

I have a fundamental dislike of censorship of any kind.  For me the best way to challenge extreme views is not to ban them thereby fuelling the extemists delusions there is a conspiracy to silence them but rather to encourage a full debate and to simply let the stupidity of their own argument destroy their case.  And lets not forget that anyone with half a brain could see from the outset this was always a clumsy attempt at satire instead of a case of offensive extremism anyway.  It is ironic that one of the many (and in truth lesser) criticisms of the vile monster that is Mugabe is that of his supression of the right of people to exercise free speech.

What it has done though is liven up an otherwise dull day with one of the most interesting and polarised debates we have seen on here for some time.  I just hope that Mr C has not been banned, has learnt a lesson and will be back posting again soon as his stuff usually is far funnier.

So now that thread''s over and done with, who wants to post the first personal rumour about our strikers?

Blimey, I go away for the weekend and look what happens.  Its clear now that you lot just cannot play nice without me, I''m going to have to put you all in detention!What a fuss, eh? I saw the OP last night and have to say that the headline disturbed me somewhat and I wonder how many actually read what Mister C had written.  It was clearly satire, however it has to be said that it wasn''t particularly well-written satire and thus the intended humour didn''t come across.  The reaction does remind me of the Brass Eye incident, however as someone has already stated, at least that was funny.I think Mister Chops will probably accept that although his intentions were to simply draw attention to the ridiculous accusations being thrown towards Delia by some posters, he probably instead shot himself in the foot.  It would probably have been better served as a glib comment in amongst another thread following one of Wiz''s recent regular likening of Delia to Hitler.Which brings me to my next point - Web Team, considering the reaction to this attempt at satire, will Wiz be punished if he continues to push the comparison of Delia''s time in charge with the Nazi party? Because whilst Mister Chops has had his wrist slapped for his post, it was merely a reaction to the Wizard''s own comments.  Your thoughts?

I don''t think Mr. Chops deserves banning; I can''t remember anything particularly nasty in any of his previous posts & I think he was just being a bit careless & a touch thoughtless when he wrote this one.It is true that time rapidly lessens the impact of horror - how many would object to jokes about Vlad The Impaler, for example? Or Ivan The Terrible? Comedy is tragedy viewed from a distance. If you''ve ever walked into a lamp-post you''ll know what I mean.

That is where you totally miss the point of this.  We all KNOW it was a very poor joke but it was still in poor taste and potentially very offensive.  Also how can you say no offence was meant to be caused by the topic?  How could ANYONE with a brain fail to see it would not be contraversial?There is also a world of difference between *fictional* character and *real evil man* and trying to justify it with such a ludicrouse defence only makes me wonder where you would draw the line yourself?[quote user="tribes"][quote user="Fellas"]I have to agree with Shack here. No offence was meant to be caused, it was simply a thread to highlight how ridiculous some posters had got. Nothing was meant by it, if he had said Delia is like *insert evil fictional character''s name* then would people still be complaining? Probably not, although the meaning is still the same.[/quote]It was exactly that. Seemed pretty obvious really.[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree.