Sign in to follow this  
SuperWesIrishWizard

Alan Gow - "Reminds me of Alan Smith"

Sorry to start a new Gow thread but I thought this might be interesting.  My cousin has played against Mr Gow a few times a couple of years back for the reserves when he was trying, unsuccessfully, to make it in scottish football. I asked him for an honest opinion today when i rang my auntie whos birthday it was today. Although obviously it was only a scottish reserve match and might not stand for much admittedly, he has seen Alan Gow play up front, centre midfield and in the hole behind two strikers, as well as watching from the stands for several senior matches,  and the closest comparison he could give was to Alan Smith (as in the one who plays for Newcastle), stating that his all round play was fantastic and although not an out and out striker was somebody that could keep possession for a good few seconds and deliver a great final ball, he could run with the ball although not with any amazing ability (no hoolohan or huckerby). He said that he reminds him most of Alan Smith because of the way that he comes deep from up front to win balls and then passes his way out of deeper positions to create an attack, spreading the ball out to wide positions and trying to build quick counter attacks before getting forward to continue the attack..He also has a lot of natural energy and never sits back or gives up. More of a grafter with the ability to play a key pass and create opportunites, but not adverse to sticking the ball in the net, its just that he has a lot more to his all round game. My cousin is now scouting for a scottish football academy (albeit only for very young kids) so knows what he is talking about. He also said Clingan, Hoolohan and Gow are three players that suggest Roeder will attempt to play possession football next year (like we used to in the good old days) although of course we still have some way to go!  And are all players that like to keep the ball on the floor.I dont know what to read into this really, but it seems to me that by playing Gow as one of two strikers, Gow can drop deep and search for the ball when we have lost possession (we didnt really have that with ched or cureton) effectively giving us a third centre midfielder off the ball, and our second striker on the ball. Or maybe he is seen as the perfect foil for a natural goalscorer that Roeder has in mind? Maybe that natural goalscorer is Andy Cole?I would welcome Andy Cole because he suits a passing game, hasnt got the legs to beat men himself but if we get the ball to Cole to his feet anywhere in the box then he could prove a very good signing, especially if he has an energetic creative player next to him?Im very very excited.

A very interesting post, and one with a lot of depth and insight. Beats the one''s that are dismissive or gushy when simply based on FM or Prov Evo/Wikipedia stats. Any further info gratefully received Ryank.  

Sounds very promising. Gow sounds like a type of player we''ve not had at Norwich for a very long time - and I think with Hoolahan in the side, adding Gow would give us yet another creative outlet that can score a few goals and provide a decent foil for another goalscoring striker.

i hope Gow signs... we cant write him off until we see him play.. i dont think he''s a striker as such and reading other posts including the above confirm that.. he''s more of a Rooney type play anywhere.... could be what we need if he can switch play and create space...

jas :)

[quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]...........and spookily they are both called "Alan" [:D][/quote]

both british as well and play football

3 things in common - its looking good people

[quote user="vicar in green and yellow"]

Were Gow ''just like Alan Smith'' - then I feel he would be commanding a large transfer fee and drawing the attention of the top premiership clubs

[/quote]

Did you see Smith''s performances for Newcastle last season??

Were Gow ''just like Alan Smith'' - then I feel he would be commanding a large transfer fee and drawing the attention of the top premiership clubs

[/quote]

hull, stoke, west brom, bolton, west ham and sunderland then?????

i could be completly wrong, but word is he was not that impressed with doomcaster cuting the trip short and heading home.

[/quote]

Quite how you managed to read my thread title of "Reminds me of Alan Smith" and quote the thread title as "Just Like Alan Smith" is beyond me. Why dont you read the post again a little slower, perhaps with a teaching assistant sitting next to you, and then come back and be a little bit more dilegent with your replies. If you think that Alan Smith could play for top premiership clubs then you obviously rate Alan Smith much higher than the managers of those top premiership clubs.

[quote user="ryank"][quote user="vicar in green and yellow"]

[/quote]

Quite how you managed to read my thread title of "Reminds me of Alan Smith" and quote the thread title as "Just Like Alan Smith" is beyond me. Why dont you read the post again a little slower, perhaps with a teaching assistant sitting next to you, and then come back and be a little bit more dilegent with your replies. If you think that Alan Smith could play for top premiership clubs then you obviously rate Alan Smith much higher than the managers of those top premiership clubs.

[/quote]

LOL u tell him Ryank!!!

apologies...I was not being rude just trying to get some realism into the thread. This board swings from one extreme to the other with such regularity that it often hampers genuine debate. I think you reply was a little harsh and defensive....and yes I am a real priest and my education is not really so bad. Not that that makes me incapable of typing before thinking from time to time.

[quote user="vicar in green and yellow"]apologies...I was not being rude just trying to get some realism into the thread. This board swings from one extreme to the other with such regularity that it often hampers genuine debate. I think you reply was a little harsh and defensive....and yes I am a real priest and my education is not really so bad. Not that that makes me incapable of typing before thinking from time to time.[/quote]

Apologies if my reply was brash, unfortunately it has become necessary to become defensive on this board of late! many people on here seem to try and cut and paste and twist every post for no other reason than to provoke heated discussions. Out of interest I would be interested in your opinion about moving Ipswich games to Sundays? obviously this would mean that you couldnt attend on a personal level, but do your objections extend as far as to a conflict on a religious level? much the same as those that object against sunday opening for shops? Just curiosity!

I hope Gow isn''t like Alan Smith. He''s absolute gash. Newcastle only started winning when they dropped Smith from the team. Jack of all trades, master of none.