Sign in to follow this  
Jonnyboy

Can Martin or spillane step up...

Lots of talk from Roeder about these two having the talent just needing to show it.

I saw Chris looking good for a few games last season when we lost Earnshaw to injury and Spillane is very versitile works hard but is he a mid or a defender??

What do you reckon? can either of them step up to the first team for the start of the season?

Personally I hope so but don''t think Roeder would risk it.

Squad yes and bench probably...

It would be good if they could, but sadly I think the answer is probably no.

But do they?

You can try 1000% but if you don''t have the skill you''ll never be great.

I think Chris martin does I just think he''s and ignorant tw4t. I hope Roeder has knocked that out of him.

Martin clearly has some talent but then so did Ryan J, Llewellyn & Forbes but none of them really kicked on as they looked like they might. You would hope the penny has dropped with Martin particularly having seen the effort and application of Ched Evans last season.

In my opinion, Spillane is a decent player who just needs to show a bit more calmness on the pitch as he is prone to some rather over enthusiastic challenges every now and then.

It is definitely make or break time for them - I can''t decide if Roeder will give them a chance or not to be honest. Martin doesn''t seem keen on a loan move.

As it stands then are both likely to be playing quite a bit - Spillane is one of only 2 contracted centre backs at the club!!

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

Martin clearly has some talent but then so did Ryan J, Llewellyn & Forbes but none of them really kicked on as they looked like they might. You would hope the penny has dropped with Martin particularly having seen the effort and application of Ched Evans last season.

In my opinion, Spillane is a decent player who just needs to show a bit more calmness on the pitch as he is prone to some rather over enthusiastic challenges every now and then.

It is definitely make or break time for them - I can''t decide if Roeder will give them a chance or not to be honest. Martin doesn''t seem keen on a loan move.

As it stands then are both likely to be playing quite a bit - Spillane is one of only 2 contracted centre backs at the club!!

[/quote]Agreed, Stevie. Martin in particular sickens me, because he certainly has the talent to be a lower-Premiership striker, and maybe better. But he lacks the motivation and now he''s claiming that he was "naive" for being involved in something any sensible kid (whether or not he had aspirations to be a pro footballer) wouldn''t go near. "Naive" - that''s agent-speak: it''s a bit worse than that. Still, he''s only a teenager, and if he can change his life around then good luck to him. I really hope he does, for the Club''s sake as well as his. If Roeder works that miracle, whatever else he does, he has my admiration.

Think Spillane hasn''t really had the chance under Roeder, replacement for Rusty, as i think he''s off!! 

They both have the skill, and Martin has demonstrated briefly that at our level he could be very effective.Spillane stood head a shoulders above his generation in the academy in terms of control and skill with the ball, and great things were expected. One reason he has not blossomed is that no-one seems to know what position he should play in. He prefers central defence, and he needs an extended run there to see how good he could be.  He is talking about upping his commitment, which is fine, but he gets himself booked very often for over-zealous tackling. Good luck to him,-I think that he could succeed if GR can use him correctly.

I believe both can make the step-up, if given the chance (ie an extended run in the first team) and if they have changed their attitudes towards life.

Spillane was very unlucky last season cause when he played in central midfield he was competant, got stuck in and did much more than Rossi Jarvis who was kept in the team for longer and indeed misfit loan players Henry and Gibbs (just cause hes from Arsenal doesn''t mean hes any good!). When Roeder came in he seemed totally frozen out. I think it will be very hard for him to get on at Norwich. Maybe a good loan spell would convince Roeder.

Martin never got going at all last season and the few times we saw him he done nowt!

Stories of it going to his head don''t seem wide of the mark, but hes shown hes got talent and its a case of getting it out  of him again, but hes drinking in the last chance saloon!

[quote user="scott"]

Spillane was very unlucky last season cause when he played in central midfield he was competant, got stuck in and did much more than Rossi Jarvis who was kept in the team for longer and indeed misfit loan players Henry and Gibbs (just cause hes from Arsenal doesn''t mean hes any good!). When Roeder came in he seemed totally frozen out. I think it will be very hard for him to get on at Norwich. Maybe a good loan spell would convince Roeder.

Martin never got going at all last season and the few times we saw him he done nowt!

Stories of it going to his head don''t seem wide of the mark, but hes shown hes got talent and its a case of getting it out  of him again, but hes drinking in the last chance saloon!

[/quote]

For both of them its up to them to show they can show the mental strength to succeed,  they both have the physique and ability to succeed,  but so to do hundreds of talented youngsters - its having that beckham like drive that sets successful players apart.

As for last year Martin succombed to his own hype while I disagree with on spillane.  If by getting stuck in you mean running around a lot chasing the ball, mistiming tackles & conceeding possession too easily and being completely ineffective then yes he got stuck in;  the games where both Rossi and Spillane appeared Rossi looked the better footballer,  not a good one,  but the better one.

Both Spillane & Martin deserved Roeders comments last year and need to sharpen up quickly,  or non league football beckons.

spillane hasnt looked a bad player when he''s played...i think he''s a decent squad man...

Martin on the other hand has looked shocking for a while...

i think Mickey will feature next season... he can also play center back so if the doc leaves and we dont sign anyone else expect Spillane to feature reuglarly

jas :)

I hope they do step up as I always like the youths coming through. Not sure if GR fancies them enough and if we buy another 6 players, are they going to get a chance to florish. I think all the talk of Martin getting in trouble is a bit OTTin my book. He recieved a caution which is not even a criminal record, he got in a bit of a tiff, like a lot of other people his age, he needs to learn from it and move on. Patty was sought of forgiven by the Carrow Road faithful, just remember because of who he is, people are likely to try and push him, he is in the public eye so needs to learn.

Back to the topic[:)], Spillane looks classy to me and an extended run at centre back would do him and the club well, does mean if he is a regular next year, then we have not signed suitable cover.

Hopefully both of them will make it into the first team squad this season.  They both clearly have talent, and would save the club having to spend a lot of money on replacing them.