Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

EDP/Cullum - Am I Missing Something Here?....

i was well excited when i picked up todays EDP, but having now read it the article its no more than simply old news. It makes reference to a conference call between Cullum, Delia, Jones, Turner and Doncaster, where he stated he would invest £20m into the club. In return he wanted to be majority shareholder, and Smith & Jones said no.That is that as a i read it. Cullum said no further contact has been made between the parties. This is purely sensationalism by the EDP, Cullum isnt investing anything, he just wants to.Until the club confirm something nothing has changed....

Barclayman, I appreciate your scepticism - the Archant group has floated so many non-stories this summer that everything you read should be taken with a pinch of salt. All I can add is that two pub sources (not known for their wind-ups) gave me this story 10 days ago. It sounded plausible - especially the more detailed one, which had a lovely "drunk best-man at a wedding" basis for the info! - but I didn''t pass it on, as I thought it would be irresponsible.Let''s hope there is more substance to this than to much of the other flannel the EDP & Evening News have shovedelled down our throats this summer!

I agree with your take on it. The story is that Cullum wants in not that he has invested.

However this is MASSIVE NEWS. A man worth £1.7 billion wanst to buy our club and will put £20m in straight away and has gone public on his intentions in an apparent move to force the boards hand. In my view this is the start of a negotiation that can only end up with one outcome.

the more i think about it its actually quite scandalous by the EDP, its purely to sell papers, and this is actually old news from october...

"But I''m not prepared to put that sort of money into the club without having control." "He said he wanted to become majority shareholder"He wants to buy the club, not give money away.

Its not scandalous at all. The EDP has been a waste of space for NCFC related news for a long time now but this is a real scoop for them and will have a real impact on the future of our club.

[quote user="followthegreenandyellow"]check edp sport u dimwits.....20 million!![/quote]what the hell is that supposed to mean? have you not read any of the above? he hasnt invested anything you idiot...

I’m just confused by the whole affair.  

I can’t understand the timing of the story. We are in the market for new players and announcement of this nature is bound to make it more difficult to sign players within the current wage structure, unless the majority of our transfers have been completed already. This seems very unlikely. 

Most importantly I can’t understand how Delia and Michael were playing Russian Roulette with the club’s future by not progressing the offer when the club’s position was at an all time low. It would appear that the fortunes of NCFC were considered to be of less importance than individual ones. 

The news is great, and hopefully this will lead to some much needed new investment in the club, but why has it taken so long for an offer to move forward, if it has at all?

[quote user="followthegreenandyellow"]check edp sport u dimwits.....20 million!![/quote]

Read the story dimwit.  As things stand there is no £20 million and if there is we do not yet know under what terms! I think we need to here NCFC''s take on this before we make comment!

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

I’m just confused by the whole affair.  

I can’t understand the timing of the story. We are in the market for new players and announcement of this nature is bound to make it more difficult to sign players within the current wage structure, unless the majority of our transfers have been completed already. This seems very unlikely. 

Most importantly I can’t understand how Delia and Michael were playing Russian Roulette with the club’s future by not progressing the offer when the club’s position was at an all time low. It would appear that the fortunes of NCFC were considered to be of less importance than individual ones. 

The news is great, and hopefully this will lead to some much needed new investment in the club, but why has it taken so long for an offer to move forward, if it has at all?

[/quote]

Re the timing of the story Tim, I don''t know that NCFC have had a lot of say in it as its EDP/Cullum driven.  It looks to me like Cullum wants to get on board and maybe with this article going out he will have a stronger hand as we will now have the backing of many of the fans.  As for Delia and MWJ not trying to get him on board in October, I am very shocked by this. NCFC was in a right state back then and any money would have been very helpful.  No doubt the board will state that they kept us up, but that is not very long term forward thinking is it?

I agree Paul that is disturbing to say the least. We were arguing with Brum over £200K for Martin Taylor at the time when we had someone in the wings saying he would give us £20m quid! one of their favourite lines has always been that they will not gamble with the future of the club yet that appeasr to be exactly what they did.

I cannot subscribe to the view that this deal is done and dusted. This article must be designed to put pressure on the board to enter negotiations with PC.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I agree Paul that is disturbing to say the least. We were arguing with Brum over £200K for Martin Taylor at the time when we had someone in the wings saying he would give us £20m quid! one of their favourite lines has always been that they will not gamble with the future of the club yet that appeasr to be exactly what they did.

I cannot subscribe to the view that this deal is done and dusted. This article must be designed to put pressure on the board to enter negotiations with PC.

[/quote]We were penny pinching with Brum at a time when PC was prepared to just throw £5m into the pot to help us buy players to avoid relegation. I wonder if Roeder was aware of this up front offer? There''s a chance Delia and Michael are going to come out of this looking like they were more  concerned with their own interests than the future of the Club and their position might become untenable.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

I think your assessment is spot on, Jim. According to PC there was some ''friendly arm-wrestling over the valuation of the club''. Delia was holding out for the best price she could get, last October, and now PC is using the EDP to go public and put the pressure on the Board to sell-up. Can Delia offer 20 million and a fan''s seat on the board? I don''t think so.

It is not a done deal, only a bit of ''gentle arm-twisting''. If Delia dithers, then PC may well up the pressure a bit further on the current board.

Is there any Board lover who can support Delia now we have the information that we could easily have afforded Talyor in January? That there was five million quid on the table with the promise of more to come, when we were five points adrift?

[quote user="Worst Wizard"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

We were penny pinching with Brum at a time when PC was prepared to just throw £5m into the pot to help us buy players to avoid relegation. I wonder if Roeder was aware of this up front offer?
 There''s a chance Delia and Michael are going to come out of this looking like they were more  concerned with their own interests than the future of the Club and their position might become untenable.
[/quote]

Lets hope so... you know what they say... you reep what you sow!!!

It was advertised as something that would ''Intrigue rivals''

If this was another clubs story I wouldnt care less.

But to us supporters it is huge news.

I have to say I think you''re wrong, Barclayman. I thought it was a very interesting story.

There have been rumours and insinuations about investment in our club for years, not least on these message boards, with people stating as fact things that were only rumours.

"I''ve got a friend who knows a mate who says that someone he saw is sure that so-and-so is ging to put money into the club." that''s the kind of level it''s been at.

Well, this is the first time that we have heard it from the horse''s mouth - and it makes for painful reading for Delia, who has always said that she would sell the club if only someone would come forward and invest.

Now, you might decide that Peter Cullum is not the right person to run the club - that''s a valid opinion (although not one that I share). But that doesn''t make it not a valid story.

And it''s NOT old news - Cullum may have made the initial approach last year, but it was only a few days ago that he decided to speak about it publicly.

Like I say, it''s your right to decide whether or not any point of view is valid, but that doesn''t make it any less of a story.

PS: What an outrageous slur to suggest that the EDP exists just to sell papers! Whatever next?

"There''s a chance Delia and Michael are going to come out of this looking like they were more concerned with their own interests than the future of the Club and their position might become untenable"

Maybe that''s exactly how the article has been written. Without knowing the full details it''s tricky to judge the situation.

Bottom line for me is that I think I would rather be owned by a billionaire than a millionaire because if you''re 2 points off the play-offs and you need to loan a premiership striker on crazy wages for that final push (a la Stoke last year), it is surely more likely that a Cullum-type figure will be able to finance it as opposed to a "poor millionaire" like Delia.

I don''t blame the Smiths for knocking back a proposed deal they didn''t like.

On the other hand, I do object to being told that no-one is interested in buying the Club/''there''s no-one out there'' since the last AGM when it was patently untrue.

Personally, I believe that it is a bit of brinkmanship from Cullum''s advisers. Having made an offer too purchase a majority stake in the club which  it would appear Delia  rejected Cullam has gone public in order too force her hand.  And the upshot of it is that Delia will be found out for what she is and that is not the cuddly old fool that she portrays but a hard nosed business person. The sooner that she had Doncaster are gone the better.

Well maybe Delia doesn''t want to sell after all. Whether that''s due to the Turner''s interest or reason of her own, it does show that she seems a bit two faced. After all I think we can all say that Cullum ticks all the boxes and actually really does have the finanical clout so that we can compete again. In my eyes, Cullum investing in our club is nothing but a very good thing for this club and that Delia obviously has had a change of heart now that a bid is on the table.This story isn''t much more than we thought might be going on in the backroom earlier this season and at the end of last season.

[quote user="On The Roeder To No Where. "]Personally, I believe that it is a bit of brinkmanship from Cullum''s advisers. Having made an offer too purchase a majority stake in the club which  it would appear Delia  rejected Cullam has gone public in order too force her hand.  And the upshot of it is that Delia will be found out for what she is and that is not the cuddly old fool that she portrays but a hard nosed business person. The sooner that she had Doncaster are gone the better.[/quote]

As you say, the sooner her and her old man bugger off.....the sooner our club can start to recover.

as soon as they bugger off...? and ''start to recover?????'' really makes me shake my head... we would have no club to ''recover'' if it wasn''t for them in the last few years... but i am sure you''ll spill your bile about them as always... some of you have no idea... or seem to want to portray that you don''t. Talk about disrespectful...

I want Cullum to take control... but i also think people should be respectful to people who have taken on a thankless task for us and helped continue to keep our club afloat...

I mean i am sure without them the club would have been fine right? Would have financed itself... or we would have got a two bit investor in?? ... come on... wise up.

Lets hope things sort themselves out... but i wonder how long it''ll be until Cullum should ''do one'' etc...

Didn''t Delia say recently the the club were keeping quiet about all the money they have got, unlike the local neighbours who like to shout out loud.  And doesnt the same EDP article state that Cullum is not interested in being a front man and would rather Delia retained the public role.

Now, I may be putting 2 & 2 together and getting 5 but these 2 things indicate that in fact a deal has been struck and the club are keeping shtum about everything.  It would certainly make sense to delay any potential announcements until September.  We have all seen with this and the january window that clubs like QPR and Ipswich are now being quoted a completely different price to everyone else.

I will point out again that Delia & MWJ are worth an estimated £30m +.  You dont get that wealthy without having a little business savvy.

This all seems very odd to me. Yes it''s a big story, but has Cullum gone public to force the boards hand or have we already struck a deal that isn''t being published due to aforementioned price hikes in the transfer market.

My assumption would be the latter. The offer when we were in trouble last year was kept very quiet indeed, yet this has come out all guns blazing via the EDP...combined with Delia''s cryptic speech at the Norfolk Show...she looked very relaxed and almost as if a weight had been lifted from her.

I suppose we wont really know until a few more players come through the door, although I am pretty peeved that we were squabbling over £200k for a player that made a massive difference in our team and wanted to sign for us, when Cullum had offered us £5m with more to come....

I guess it''s all a case of watch this space...

[quote user="Snakepit Boy"]

I have to say I think you''re wrong, Barclayman. I thought it was a very interesting story.

There have been rumours and insinuations about investment in our club for years, not least on these message boards, with people stating as fact things that were only rumours.

"I''ve got a friend who knows a mate who says that someone he saw is sure that so-and-so is ging to put money into the club." that''s the kind of level it''s been at.

Well, this is the first time that we have heard it from the horse''s mouth - and it makes for painful reading for Delia, who has always said that she would sell the club if only someone would come forward and invest.

Now, you might decide that Peter Cullum is not the right person to run the club - that''s a valid opinion (although not one that I share). But that doesn''t make it not a valid story.

And it''s NOT old news - Cullum may have made the initial approach last year, but it was only a few days ago that he decided to speak about it publicly.

Like I say, it''s your right to decide whether or not any point of view is valid, but that doesn''t make it any less of a story.

PS: What an outrageous slur to suggest that the EDP exists just to sell papers! Whatever next?

[/quote]

At no point did i ever say he wasnt the right man for the task, on the contrary i beleive him tobe the perfect invester.

And of course its old news, the story is PC wants to plough £20m into the club, something he stated last October...