Sign in to follow this  
SuperWesIrishWizard

Robert Eagle to take next season by storm?

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/Sport/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED30%20Jun%202008%2008%3A46%3A50%3A903

Eagle to spread wings

MICHAEL BAILEY
30 June 2008 08:46

Norwich City winger Robert Eagle is hoping the talents of his new team-mate Wes Hoolahan will rub off on him on the training pitch.

The 21-year-old from Leiston will find himself in direct competition on the left with the Republic of Ireland international, who has joined the Canaries from Coca-Cola Championship rivals Blackpool.

But the City academy product is simply looking forward to working with their latest mercurial winger on the green grass of Colney.

“I saw him play last year and I thought he was magnificent, he played really well,” said Eagle. “So it will be nice to play with him and hopefully I''ll learn a lot off him.

“He''s a big name. I had a big name with me for the last few years, Darren Huckerby, in front of me. I''ll just go out and do the best I can - that''s how football is, there''s always competition.”

There will certainly be more of Robert Eagle next season in one sense, after the winger put in regular sessions at the gym to build himself up, as well as runs around Eaton Park.

“It''s been really good. I''ve been doing a run every other day,” said Eagle. “I went in the gym five times a week from the day we left, so I''ve tried to bulk up as much as I can; whether it''s enough for the season I don''t know, I''ll have to wait and see how it goes.

“I didn''t go on holiday because I''ve been sorting a house for my family. I''ve got a little boy who''s seven months with my girlfriend Grace, and we''ve just been sorting out the house.

“I feel in good shape. It''s been the young lads who have been back, and those like Adam Drury and Kris Renton who had really big injuries, to help them and help ourselves before the start of the season.

“I got back and the football was a bit rusty to start off with, but I''ve got back into it now and I feel good.”

Eagle admits he got much more of a boost from boss Glenn Roeder at the end of last season than he thought he would.

Nine players fell by the wayside, failing to win an extension to their Carrow Road deals, and it would have been a brave man putting money on Eagle bucking the trend, especially after failing to make an appearance under the City manager since he took charge in November. In fact, he didn''t make a first team appearance at all last season after 12 outings in 2006-07.

However, a 12-month extension to his City contract duly arrived in May.

“I wasn''t expecting to get much really as there were other players coming in and the manager wanted new players,” Eagle added. “I think I was quite lucky. I had quite a few good games in the reserves and I could play left mid, sometimes I was tried up front and at left back. I''m left-footed and there are not a lot of us around, so it was probably more luck than effort.”

But Eagle''s thoughts have already turned to next season and should the winger fail to make a bigger impression in the coming season, he will be eager to prove his worth on loan - especially with City pulling out of the Football Combination reserve league for next season.

“I''ve just said to myself I have to go out there, do the best I can and if I don''t get picked for the start of the season, I don''t get picked - that''s just how it is. The goal is just to play as many games as I can, hopefully score a few goals and if I''m not involved, then go out on loan and try to do the best I can

“There''s no reserve league next season, so if I''m not playing I''m going to have to go out on loan if I want to be playing games. I heard that they might do friendlies once every month, but a game a month is nothing really, so hopefully I''ll be playing or be going out on loan. It should all work out well for me.”

You just never know!

[quote user="Iwan is God"]I don''t think he''ll make it, too slow IMHO. On a plus side for him, his bird is fit!!!![/quote]

Hoolihan is not the quickest , although i''m inclined to agree that he won''t make it, best of luck to the lad though...

Personally after watching eagle in many reserve games last season, i cannot understand why he still thinks of himself as a left mid, as he just does not have the required pace. He was the only player to actually stand out last year in our reserve squad, and i was thoroughly impressed by him, when he was playing left back. That is the posistion i can see him playing in, unless he works hard and gains a bit more pace. I can see him being Drury''s understudy next year as as much as i want us to, i seriously doubt we are going to get Bertrand back. You never know Eagle may even become our first choice left back, as he can actually pass unlike our other left back Adam ''Smack the ball up to the forwards'' Drury.

wasnt he compared to beckham?? as a midfielder playing on a wing, not a winger,

beckham was never blessed with pace, but his passing and crossing made the basis of his game,

wasnt he compared to beckham?? - Greg Sayer

I saw the article that compared him to Beckham.  I remember the quote: "Compared to Beckham, he is not very good."

[quote user="barny bowl"]Personally after watching eagle in many reserve games last season, i cannot understand why he still thinks of himself as a left mid, as he just does not have the required pace. He was the only player to actually stand out last year in our reserve squad, and i was thoroughly impressed by him, when he was playing left back. That is the posistion i can see him playing in, unless he works hard and gains a bit more pace. I can see him being Drury''s understudy next year as as much as i want us to, i seriously doubt we are going to get Bertrand back. You never know Eagle may even become our first choice left back, as he can actually pass unlike our other left back Adam ''Smack the ball up to the forwards'' Drury.
[/quote]

I agree with everything you have said having attended 5 or 6 reserve games last year. Good Post (Y)

[quote user="barny bowl"]Personally after watching eagle in many reserve games last season, i cannot understand why he still thinks of himself as a left mid, as he just does not have the required pace. He was the only player to actually stand out last year in our reserve squad, and i was thoroughly impressed by him, when he was playing left back. That is the posistion i can see him playing in, unless he works hard and gains a bit more pace. I can see him being Drury''s understudy next year as as much as i want us to, i seriously doubt we are going to get Bertrand back. You never know Eagle may even become our first choice left back, as he can actually pass unlike our other left back Adam ''Smack the ball up to the forwards'' Drury.[/quote]Completely agree. He played some excellent games at LB for the rezzies and Drury is VASTLY over rated especially going forward..... er...... and defending come to that

if they boy has beefed up, then he''s a seriously good option in centre-mid.  sooo creative and armed with a great touch, (he one touch play is a delight) its as an attacking centre midfielder i see young eagle as.  after 2008, didn''t ya all know - small playmakers are back in fashion...make no mistake!!!

Lucky Green Trainers - I do agree that he is a creative player with great passing ability but if you had watched the reserves last year then you would see how from a team of 11 youth players he was the only 1 to really stand out, and he was playing the posistion of left back. He might become a centre mid later on in his career, but for someone of his size and physical stature, centre mid in the championship is a demanding role. The small playmakers you are tryin to compare Eagle with would be in the mould of Deco, a player with immense ability, which makes up for his size. However good Eagle is at the moment, you could never compare him to having the same level of ability as a player in this mould, so i really do see him as a real contender for Adam Drurys berth of left back next season.

I have always slated Robert Eagle as a footballer - but he certainly has a better attitude than some others. I see him out running and working in the gym most days, and I hope for him that this pays off for him/us next year.

[quote user="barny bowl"]Lucky Green Trainers - I do agree that he is a creative player with great passing ability but if you had watched the reserves last year then you would see how from a team of 11 youth players he was the only 1 to really stand out, and he was playing the posistion of left back. He might become a centre mid later on in his career, but for someone of his size and physical stature, centre mid in the championship is a demanding role. The small playmakers you are tryin to compare Eagle with would be in the mould of Deco, a player with immense ability, which makes up for his size. However good Eagle is at the moment, you could never compare him to having the same level of ability as a player in this mould, so i really do see him as a real contender for Adam Drurys berth of left back next season.[/quote]agreed, and thats why roedy is keeping the boy on - cos of his potential, but that also its been made clear he needs to size up - hence his gym visits 5 days a week pre-season.  i saw him play centre mid in a reserve match, maybe 2 seasons ago - going forward the boys link-up play was simply top drawer.  he can also see a pass and make it from that posi, better from the wing imo.  but, he looked way to lightweight there to win balls when required to defend...so farmed out to the left again.  i think hes wasted at left back - for me, if the boy has put on some size, and can hold his own in the middle, then sure - imo he has the pontential to be a playmaker.  look forward to seeing the boy play to see how he''s amking up,.,