Sign in to follow this  
The Fish Seller

Archant

Seeing as I''d be one of the first to slag the Archant journos for scraping stories from messageboards I feel it''s only right and fair to be one of the first to say thanks for todays great story. Certainly stopped us arguing over stupid transfer rumours on the Pink ''Un messageboard.

Certainly provoked a lot of discussion but it is does smack of the local press being totally manipulated by Mr Cullum in an attempt to feather his own nest. Good journalism would have asked further questions about his proposals. Very easy to run a headline about £20 million for players. Why did nobody ask him about buying Delia and Michaels shares or just how he anticipated taking control of the club for £20 million.

"Fans urge club to accept £20m offer" was a terrible headline and it seems very one sided from Archant. Archant don''t speak for the fans. Most people seem to want to know more details or think PC was trying to get the club on the cheap.

Gutter press reporting from Archant, and I won''t be buying any Archant puplications anymore.

[quote user="Worst Wizard"]Seeing as I''d be one of the first to slag the Archant journos for scraping stories from messageboards I feel it''s only right and fair to be one of the first to say thanks for todays great story. Certainly stopped us arguing over stupid transfer rumours on the Pink ''Un messageboard.

[/quote]

As a story it was professionally piss poor.  It didn''t deal with the CRUCIAL issue of where the money was coming from to buy out the shareholders for CONTROL and whether this would be deducted from the player £20m pool nor did it deal with the issue of the Stock Exchange rules on someone trying to acquire majority control in a PLC company  and neither did it deal with the issue of why Charles Clarke was involved in this.

When I last looked it still hadn''t.

It is what is known in the trade as a feed and for a local paper that''s often good enough.  They have probably put on a few sales (but, sadly, you can''t usually hold them) just as the chaps at the Evening Star in Ips (fill in the rest) haven''t held their sales from the Suffolk Murders.  Just as most of the nationals can''t hold their sales either.  If Mr Cullum wishes to diversify, £20m would probably buy him The People.

Try this one:

"Disgraced ex Home Secretary Charles Clarke personally wined and dined an insurance billionaire to try and persuade him to invest in his favourite football club, it was revealed last night."

It''s interesting to us that Clarke would not take Press calls today on this issue when normally you can''t keep his gob shut (sadly)

11 a.m: "I''ve nothing to say on this issue.  Any statements must come from the parties involved."

3 p.m: "Come on Charles.  Was it your idea or did someone ask you to?"

"I am not going to comment."

And it IS disgraced whether Norwich South or not as a complete and total plonker, at least in the Premiership of politics.

If anyone on our staff had reported a "sensational" story in such a style  they''d have had it thrown back and told to tell what the ****** story was and, if necessary, again and again.  The Girl Upstairs And I are absolutely agreed on this.

Rouen Road may settle for less.  We don''t.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]

"Fans urge club to accept £20m offer" was a terrible headline and it seems very one sided from Archant. Archant don''t speak for the fans. Most people seem to want to know more details or think PC was trying to get the club on the cheap.

Gutter press reporting from Archant, and I won''t be buying any Archant puplications anymore.

[/quote]

Yes. How absurd for Archant to report such a non-news event. Whatever next - they''ll be reporting on the Iraq War.

[quote user="Snakepit Boy"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

Yes. How absurd for Archant to report such a non-news event. Whatever next - they''ll be reporting on the Iraq War.

[/quote]He''s not saying it wasn''t newsworthy, he''s saying it was poor reporting. Camul seems to agree with him.Always best to read the post first, I find.

Interesting - a point nobody has picked up on yet it is the glaring one from today. 

Why was Charles Clarke organising a meal purely to tout Cullum for investment?  On whose behalf was he acting and what is in it for him to do that?

There is an awful lot about all this that we do not have a clue about yet.

1. Charles Clarke - why?

2. Timing of share price change last October - was it coincidence or cynical

3. 20 million - surely just for players on top of the purchase cost?

4. If this happened last October why wait all this time before driving it again - it has obviously been leaked by Cullums people

[quote user="camuldonum"]

[quote user="Worst Wizard"]Seeing as I''d be one of the first to slag the Archant journos for scraping stories from messageboards I feel it''s only right and fair to be one of the first to say thanks for todays great story. Certainly stopped us arguing over stupid transfer rumours on the Pink ''Un messageboard.

[/quote]

As a story it was professionally piss poor.  It didn''t deal with the CRUCIAL issue of where the money was coming from to buy out the shareholders for CONTROL and whether this would be deducted from the player £20m pool nor did it deal with the issue of the Stock Exchange rules on someone trying to acquire majority control in a PLC company  and neither did it deal with the issue of why Charles Clarke was involved in this.

When I last looked it still hadn''t.

It is what is known in the trade as a feed and for a local paper that''s often good enough.  They have probably put on a few sales (but, sadly, you can''t usually hold them) just as the chaps at the Evening Star in Ips (fill in the rest) haven''t held their sales from the Suffolk Murders.  Just as most of the nationals can''t hold their sales either.  If Mr Cullum wishes to diversify, £20m would probably buy him The People.

Try this one:

"Disgraced ex Home Secretary Charles Clarke personally wined and dined an insurance billionaire to try and persuade him to invest in his favourite football club, it was revealed last night."

It''s interesting to us that Clarke would not take Press calls today on this issue when normally you can''t keep his gob shut (sadly)

11 a.m: "I''ve nothing to say on this issue.  Any statements must come from the parties involved."

3 p.m: "Come on Charles.  Was it your idea or did someone ask you to?"

"I am not going to comment."

And it IS disgraced whether Norwich South or not as a complete and total plonker, at least in the Premiership of politics.

If anyone on our staff had reported a "sensational" story in such a style  they''d have had it thrown back and told to tell what the ****** story was and, if necessary, again and again.  The Girl Upstairs And I are absolutely agreed on this.

Rouen Road may settle for less.  We don''t.

[/quote]

[quote user="Snakepit Boy"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sighs.  This is classic journalism whether Norwich or not.  You put up the runner.  And then, deciding on how you guess the response you back one or the other.  You wouldn''t want to be out of tune with your readers would you?

LOL!

Whoever wrote the original story for the EDP would NEVER be hired by us and that''s one of our tests....a tricky, difficult imaginary story.

Awful version.

Who, Where, What, Why, When.

The EDP fails on accounts on our humble test.

[quote user="camuldonum"][quote user="Snakepit Boy"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sighs.  This is classic journalism whether Norwich or not.  You put up the runner.  And then, deciding on how you guess the response you back one or the other.  You wouldn''t want to be out of tune with your readers would you?

LOL!

Whoever wrote the original story for the EDP would NEVER be hired by us and that''s one of our tests....a tricky, difficult imaginary story.

Awful version.

[/quote]

Too clever by half.

As usual.

OTBC

[quote user="camuldonum"][quote user="Snakepit Boy"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL!

Awful version.

[/quote]

Cal,

It reads as though it has been prepared by one of Cullum''s people and copied verbatim by the EDP, doesn''t it?

I suppose EDP don''t do Sunday-breaking news.

Timeline probably goes like this

Football Club falls out with local Journos over poor reporting of targets and negative reaction to recent decisions of manager.

There is "something" going on at the club and local Journos cannot find out what it is.

Peter Cullum gives interview to Independent on business philosophy and training/education issues that contains throw away line about his favourite football team which is different from his stance last year.

Principal shareholder speaks a bit too freely in an interview hinting at investment.

Local Journo thinks its Peter Cullum.

Local journo arranges interview to discuss "local boy dun good" type article with Peter Cullum and in interview discovers that there was and is an informal offer on the table.

Editor decides to concentrate on the Football side of the interview in paper and develops interest by revealing teasers the day before.

Editor requests comment from Club majority shareholder without revealing content of article to get negative response.

Article is released and stooges encouraged to respond in anti club way - adding extra Spin.

Because there is "something" going on at the club the responses have been formal and carefully worded - they and Peter Cullum have to comply with stock market rules if there is a formal bid and there are timelines that are triggered if anything goes public.

Peter Cullum has not commented any more than the one interview so he is probably not the "something" going on and is therefore not that interested in a hostile bid - his deal (if there is one) is probably a "take it or leave it"  offer.

There is no available follow up from Peter Cullum or the club which leaves Archant with a problem of how to close the story.

The best story the EDP had yesterday was your police being ordered to meet targets for nicking motorists.

That''s why it is the splash in the Express this morning.

Ker-ching!