Sign in to follow this  
TheCardinal

Official Statement; Club for sale for £56 million

Cambridge Canary, thanks for that post, you''ve certainly eased my mind a little.  I''ve avoided commenting on this situation because I simply don''t know enough about City Law, nor do any of us know what is happening behind the scenes.  Speculation at this point seems a little pointless so I''m happy to just wait and see, lest I drive myself crazy trying to work it all out.And that''s probably my only post on the matter, at least for today (moving house today, should really be finishing packing, ahem), enjoy [:)]

[quote user="ob1"]Lets not forget - the value of money halves every 10 years... what was worth £10 in yesterdays money is actually worth £5 in todays. I realise this thing is something a lot of old people struggle with as a concept and hence will probably pass right over most peoples heads....So - if Delia bought shares at £25, 10 years ago and sells them for £30 now - in yesterdays value, £30 is £15 and therefore - shes actually selling at a loss compared if she''d just left the money in the bank and taken the interest again inflation. The shares, bought at £25 should be worth £50 for her to effectively break even... I''m sure this post will be ignored tho''! Too much sense and not enough Delia bashing.[/quote]I think per usual you are either underestimating everyone elses intelligence or overestimating your own.Sort yourself out before you start insulting others or you''ll look very silly.Whoops too late!Lets not forget - the value of money halves every 10 years... what was

worth £10 in yesterdays money is actually worth £5 in todays.
Completely wrong OB1 k-nowitall please re-compute data.You have used the 70% rule and assumed interest runs at 7%Using the more accurate (but still generous) interest rate of 3% for the last ten years it would take around 23 1/2 years for their money to halve in value.In reality this will have been offset by salary payments.Still why let fact get in the way huh?What your post ultimately needed was a bit more Delia Bashing

[quote user="ob1"]Lets not forget - the value of money halves every 10 years... what was worth £10 in yesterdays money is actually worth £5 in todays. I realise this thing is something a lot of old people struggle with as a concept and hence will probably pass right over most peoples heads....So - if Delia bought shares at £25, 10 years ago and sells them for £30 now - in yesterdays value, £30 is £15 and therefore - shes actually selling at a loss compared if she''d just left the money in the bank and taken the interest again inflation. The shares, bought at £25 should be worth £50 for her to effectively break even... I''m sure this post will be ignored tho''! Too much sense and not enough Delia bashing.[/quote]I think per usual you are either underestimating everyone elses intelligence or overestimating your own.Sort yourself out before you start insulting others or you''ll look very silly.Whoops too late!Lets not forget - the value of money halves every 10 years... what was

Completely wrong OB1 k-nowitall please re-compute data.You have used the 70% rule and assumed interest runs at 7%Using the more accurate (but still generous) interest rate of 3% for the last ten years it would take around 23 1/2 years for their money to halve in value.In reality this will have been offset by salary payments.Still why let fact get in the way huh?What your post ultimately needed was a bit more Delia Bashing

[quote user="ob1"]Lets not forget - the value of money halves every 10 years... what was worth £10 in yesterdays money is actually worth £5 in todays. I realise this thing is something a lot of old people struggle with as a concept and hence will probably pass right over most peoples heads....

So - if Delia bought shares at £25, 10 years ago and sells them for £30 now - in yesterdays value, £30 is £15 and therefore - shes actually selling at a loss compared if she''d just left the money in the bank and taken the interest again inflation.

The shares, bought at £25 should be worth £50 for her to effectively break even...

I''m sure this post will be ignored tho''! Too much sense and not enough Delia bashing.
[/quote]

Explain in a little more detail for us oldies then.

Delia didn''t leave the money in the bank did she?

She chose to invest it in a football club which she claims she loves... so if she invested lets say £8million in the time that she has been here then in my opinion that is the figure which she should leave with.

Instead she has chosen to be underhand and sought other avenues to ensure that she leaves the club with some kind of profit (all be it a figure which may be smaller than if she had chosen to leave the money in the bank).

I for one really wish that she did leave her money in the bank 12 years ago.

[quote user="bunny"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="mozzer"]

Thanks for the post Cambridge - there is intelligent life out there then!

[/quote]

Cambridge... intelligent life???

Don''t make me laugh... he was just one of the many on here who have been duped by Delia''s blatant lies and spin for so long!!!

[/quote]

Cambridge made a very intelligent post that summed up the whole situation nicely for a lot of people, that''s why he is being shown gratitude. There is no need to be rude because he''s getting the attention and you''re not.

[/quote]

Yes he did but like many Delia defenders he ommited the fact that we were lied to at the last AGM and the share price was deliberatly inflated as soon as Cullum showed his intentions.

[quote user="bunny"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="mozzer"]

[/quote]

Don''t make me laugh... he was just one of the many on here who have been duped by Delia''s blatant lies and spin for so long!!!

[/quote]

Cambridge made a very intelligent post that summed up the whole situation nicely for a lot of people, that''s why he is being shown gratitude. There is no need to be rude because he''s getting the attention and you''re not.

[/quote]

More like just like you he simply can''t accept the fact that Delia has been caught lying to all and sundry and feathering her own nest.

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="ob1"][quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]

Can anyone help with this.

Delias demand for £20 million for player investment.

[/quote]Er... it''s not a demand - it''s the £20 million Cullum has "offered"... muppet![/quote]

You''re both right, or partly right.

PC has offered £20m for players

And the club''s asking price does include £20m for players

[/quote]It''s not an "asking price" that is just they way you''ve read it... it''s a "look, it''s more than £20million, here" price.The "asking price" is;

Purchase of shares based on current share issue price of £30 per share£16 million*
Repayment of directors'' loans£4 million
ie. £20 million.Plus provision for a restructure of the loan. It''s £20 million to buy, £20 million that he has promised for players, £16 million covered in restructured loan.

[quote user="IncH-HigH"][quote user="bunny"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="mozzer"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes he did but like many Delia defenders he ommited the fact that we were lied to at the last AGM and the share price was deliberatly inflated as soon as Cullum showed his intentions.

[/quote]

The timing of PC''s intial call to the Board is crucial to your arguement. Are you 100% sure that it was before the share price was re-valued?

[quote user="bunny"]Stupid question but if PC just slaps the £56m on the table and says "I want to buy" who gets to say whether he can or not?[/quote]

You tell me oh wise one... you will probably say Delia & Michael... and while you may be right in the short term I would most certainly hope that you are not in the long term.

If Cullum called Delia''s bluff today and said ok here''s £56million lets sit down and talk then fan power would surely see Delia & Co walk sooner rather than later as their positions become untenable?

[quote user="bunny"]Stupid question but if PC just slaps the £56m on the table and says "I want to buy" who gets to say whether he can or not?[/quote]If it''s for less than 30% of the shares, then it''s whichever of the shareholders he approaches who want to sell up. If he wants more than 30% - which will be the case for overall control  - then all shareholders have to be approached and have the option to sell to him.

[quote user="Fat Prophet"]The board not only failed to disclose that there was a potential buyer or that they had turned down an offer[/quote]

No formal offer was made then, no formal offer has yet been made.  If a formal offer had been made, then it would have been in the agenda at the AGM.

[quote user="Inch-High"]2 at the same time that Mr Cullum showed his hand they deliberatly and purposly inflated the share price in order to line there own greedy pockets should a buyout happen[/quote]

Would you have been happier if the club was on the stock exchange ?  20% gains in price can occur in a day on there you know.  I hardly consider a 20% increase in share value over 10 years to be lining their pockets, it doesn''t even cover the cost of inflation over that period.  As has been said, the company has to consider all shareholders when putting these things to a vote.

[quote user="bunny"][quote user="IncH-HigH"][quote user="bunny"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="mozzer"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The timing of PC''s intial call to the Board is crucial to your arguement. Are you 100% sure that it was before the share price was re-valued?

[/quote]1)Go to page 1 of this thread 2)click link to statement3) Read statement.4) Take in the following "In the last 12 months we have talked to a number of potential investors"5) Accept that price went up due to interest from investors whether that investor was specifically PC we do not know.

[quote user="ob1"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="ob1"][quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]

[/quote]

Er... it''s not a demand - it''s the £20 million Cullum has "offered"... muppet!
[/quote]

OB1

Has Delia asked for a £20 million investment in the playing side. Yes or No?

[/quote]

It''s not an "asking price" that is just they way you''ve read it... it''s a "look, it''s more than £20million, here" price.

The "asking price" is;

Purchase of shares based on current share issue price of £30 per share£16 million*

ie. £20 million.

Plus provision for a restructure of the loan. It''s £20 million to buy, £20 million that he has promised for players, £16 million covered in restructured loan.
[/quote]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote user="Fat Prophet"]The board not only failed to disclose that there was a potential buyer or that they had turned down an offer[/quote]

No formal offer was made then, no formal offer has yet been made.  If a formal offer had been made, then it would have been in the agenda at the AGM.

[/quote]

The point I was trying to make blah, which you have conveniently omitted, was that they went out of their way to give the impression that no one was interested.  "No one wants to invest in loss-making Championship clubs" was what Delia said, which is a) incorrect, and b) ignores the fact that we were not a "loss-making" club.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Delia didn''t leave the money in the bank did she?

[/quote]Nope - she has invested it and will loose out. Don''t get me wrong; hopefully she''ll sell... I''ve nothing against her, but Cullum is always going to have more money and therefore be better for us.It just winds me up some of the sheer sensationalism of stupidity on here.The one time we should all be happy, urging Delia to do the right thing, and we''re all arguing, mud slinging (yeah - me included - sorry all) and taking every opportunity to slag Delia for mostly no reason.We don''t know if she *isn''t* going to sell, we won''t know if she doesn''t sell that she doesn''t have legitimate reasons. It''s all speculation, retoric and BS.

[quote user="ob1"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="ob1"][quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]

[/quote]

Er... it''s not a demand - it''s the £20 million Cullum has "offered"... muppet!
[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s not an "asking price" that is just they way you''ve read it... it''s a "look, it''s more than £20million, here" price.

The "asking price" is;

ie. £20 million.

Plus provision for a restructure of the loan. It''s £20 million to buy, £20 million that he has promised for players, £16 million covered in restructured loan.
[/quote]

What I meant to say was.

OB1 Has Delia asked for a£20 million investment in the playing side . Yes or No ?

[quote user="bunny"][quote user="IncH-HigH"][quote user="bunny"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="mozzer"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bunny elswhere on this board(I have had a quick hunt) somebody has posted the date Cullum declared an interest and also the share price hike and indeed the 2 tally nicely. If I can find them I will post. There are so many posts on the go it''s hard to piece the bits together.

[quote user="Worst Wizard"][quote user="ob1"]Lets not forget - the value of money halves every 10 years... what was worth £10 in yesterdays money is actually worth £5 in todays. I realise this thing is something a lot of old people struggle with as a concept and hence will probably pass right over most peoples heads....So - if Delia bought shares at £25, 10 years ago and sells them for £30 now - in yesterdays value, £30 is £15 and therefore - shes actually selling at a loss compared if she''d just left the money in the bank and taken the interest again inflation. The shares, bought at £25 should be worth £50 for her to effectively break even... I''m sure this post will be ignored tho''! Too much sense and not enough Delia bashing.[/quote]I think per usual you are either underestimating everyone elses intelligence or overestimating your own.Sort yourself out before you start insulting others or you''ll look very silly.Whoops too late!Lets not forget - the value of money halves every 10 years... what was

[/quote]Dude - fair play, but all I was trying to point out is it''s not all black and white - or that Delia is deliberately making profit.As you''ve pointed out with your maths, that 3% over X years (she''s been in charge longer than 10 - tho'' I''m not sure!!) still outweighs the "20% profit" you claim her, falsely, to be making.I''m sorry I insulted you - didn''t realise you were such a sensitive soul! [:)]

[quote user="WEEN_NASTY"][quote user="ob1"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="ob1"][quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]

[/quote]Er... it''s not a demand - it''s the £20 million Cullum has "offered"... muppet![/quote]

[/quote]It''s not an "asking price" that is just they way you''ve read it... it''s a "look, it''s more than £20million, here" price.The "asking price" is;

ie. £20 million.Plus provision for a restructure of the loan. It''s £20 million to buy, £20 million that he has promised for players, £16 million covered in restructured loan.[/quote]

What I meant to say was.

OB1 Has Delia asked for a£20 million investment in the playing side . Yes or No ?

[/quote]Nope - she just factored Cullums promise into the balance sheet for the total cost of what HE promised and suggested (i.e. buy the club, and invest £20 million). She hasn''t asked for it, just pointed out the total that it would have to be paid.What if Cullum took over and invested nothing... and made no mention of the £20million? .... *waits for penny to drop*... Exactly. [:)]

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

The point I was trying to make blah, which you have conveniently omitted, was that they went out of their way to give the impression that no one was interested.  "No one wants to invest in loss-making Championship clubs" was what Delia said, which is a) incorrect, and b) ignores the fact that we were not a "loss-making" club.

[/quote]

You are right here FP, Delias'' comments from the AGM do seem odd if an informal offer had been made.  A Board disclosure of a formal offer and Delia saying "someone might want to invest in this loss-making championship club at the right price", which may or may not have been a better thing to say, are 2 different things though, aren''t they ? 

What was the timeline for the offer,  Was the offer made pre-AGM ?

I have finally worked my way to the end of this thread. Exhausted now but feel the need to post something so I''m part of the frenzy. Probably little point as everyone is so worked up that little fact is making its way through the static.First, just so everyone can lump me in with the "Percys" can I say excellent post from Cambridge. The one outstanding issue for me is why the conversion from a limited company to a PLC, and hence (I believe) the requirement for anyone attempting to take control to be able (note not to have to) buy all shares in the company. I believe the rise in the share price is justified by the conversion of the Smiths'' loans into shares - which surely benefitted the club as the loans were in effect wiped outHowever, what no-one hear has clarified for me is what do people think is Delia and hubby''s motivation here? Do they have some sort of megalomaniac desire to remain in total control of the club, repelling all attempts at investment no matter what? Why? What''s in it for them? Since they''ve taken over they have spent an enormous amount of time and money on NCFC. Are they closet Binners trying to take the club down? Well if so they''re doing a poor job of it - they could have just left Peter Grant in charge.And, as some people have suggested, if they are in it for the cash then for god''s sake don''t follow their investment advice. Unless they are completely clueless, they did not put their money into the club hoping to make a profit, as Peter Cullum has said, there''s little to no chance of making money from investing in a Championship club - or most Premiership clubs come to that. But to negotiate to try and get a fair price for the money they''ve put in - seems reasonable to me.

Cambridge Canary''s post stated the law accurately.  The Board have responded as one might expect any well advised Board to respond, and in accordance with their legal duties.  

Over and above which, presumably even Delia''s greatest foe (provided they have our club''s best interests at heart) would rather Cullum paid off the debt, and complied with his legal obligation to make the offer to every shareholder and put £20 million on top of all that into Roeder''s budget (it''s not as if he can''t afford it, apparently).   That''s a better outcome for the club than him simply putting a grand total of £20 million in which, after buying out shareholders, would leave very much less for Roeder, and still leave the club in debt.  So, no criticism of the Board for their response – they can’t be blamed for asking.  

The ball of course is now very firmly in Mr Cullum''s court.  Which makes it odd that all the pressure is being put on Delia on these forums.  Mr Cullum knew full well the size of Delia''s shareholding, he knew the rules about having to offer to every shareholder once he reaches 30%, he knew the amount of the borrowing.   These were all public knowledge and he''s no fool.   If he really meant to invest a total of £20 million and no more, then he was being, at best, disingenuous in allowing the story to be run as if this money was going to be available for players, and at worst was misleading the fans to further his own agenda.  Which wouldn’t be the best start.   If, however (and I would prefer to hope this is the case) he really meant £20 million for players, and the funding of the takeover is to come on top of that, then he only has to speak out and clarify the position.   As has been rightly said, it’s in his power to make the Board’s position untenable.

Over to you, Mr Cullum.  

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are right here FP, Delias'' comments from the AGM do seem odd if an informal offer had been made.  A Board disclosure of a formal offer and Delia saying "someone might want to invest in this loss-making championship club at the right price", which may or may not have been a better thing to say, are 2 different things though, aren''t they ? 

What was the timeline for the offer,  Was the offer made pre-AGM ?

[/quote]

Except that we weren''t a loss-making club blah.  I challenged her on that and the Chief Exec stepped in.  He was so evasive that I challenged again, saying "We''ve made a profit, go on, admit it!" before he finally acknowledged that yes, we did make a small profit last season (but not that we''d also made £9m and £3m pre-tax in the two seasons before that).

The AGM took place on 18th October.  About ten days before that, a poster called JC came on here with a rumour that Peter Cullum was trying to get into the club but was "being blocked", a rumour which in hindsight was almost certainly true.  "Being blocked" suggests to me that an offer probably had been made by about 9th or 10th October when this post appeared, but we don''t know for sure.

[quote]But to negotiate to try and get a fair price for the money they''ve put in - seems reasonable to me.[/quote]

Fair too sensible nuff said.  The very best that they can hope for is that they''ve "inflation-proofed" the money they''ve put in.  As has been said already, most of the 56 million is made up of Cullums'' stipulated 20 million for investment players, and 16 million which is a legal requirement for the banks.  The sticking point may well be the value of shares, maybe Cullum wanted them at the pre-AGM price of Â£ 25 per share - at this point nobody knows. 

However, if the disagreement is over that extra 5 pounds per share, It seems a bit tacky and tasteless for a billionaire to bring this into the open just so that he can haggle over 20% of the share price, in my opinion.

[quote]The AGM took place on 18th October.  About ten days before that, a poster called JC came on here with a rumour that Peter Cullum was trying to get into the club but was "being blocked", a rumour which in hindsight was almost certainly true.  "Being blocked" suggests to me that an offer probably had been made by about 9th or 10th October when this post appeared, but we don''t know for sure.[/quote]

Now that you mention it, I do remember JC''s posts.  It is starting to sound a bit dodgy, isn''t it ? [:o] [:)]

"What was the timeline for the offer, Was the offer made pre-AGM ?"

If we take words at face value, Cullum says he made the offer when we were "five points adrift" at the bottom of the table. That was after the Ipswich game - 4th of November.

AGM was 18th October.

However, Cullum is quoted as saying "“I made contact in October last year with City chief executive Neil Doncaster. Norwich were bottom of the league, five points adrift and in trouble."

We went bottom of the league (4 points adrift) on the 27th of October.

So either he got the number of points wrong or the month - clear as mud eh?

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]

Cambridge Canary''s post stated the law accurately.  The Board have responded as one might expect any well advised Board to respond, and in accordance with their legal duties.  

Over and above which, presumably even Delia''s greatest foe (provided they have our club''s best interests at heart) would rather Cullum paid off the debt, and complied with his legal obligation to make the offer to every shareholder and put £20 million on top of all that into Roeder''s budget (it''s not as if he can''t afford it, apparently).   That''s a better outcome for the club than him simply putting a grand total of £20 million in which, after buying out shareholders, would leave very much less for Roeder, and still leave the club in debt.  So, no criticism of the Board for their response – they can’t be blamed for asking.  

The ball of course is now very firmly in Mr Cullum''s court.  Which makes it odd that all the pressure is being put on Delia on these forums.  Mr Cullum knew full well the size of Delia''s shareholding, he knew the rules about having to offer to every shareholder once he reaches 30%, he knew the amount of the borrowing.   These were all public knowledge and he''s no fool.   If he really meant to invest a total of £20 million and no more, then he was being, at best, disingenuous in allowing the story to be run as if this money was going to be available for players, and at worst was misleading the fans to further his own agenda.  Which wouldn’t be the best start.   If, however (and I would prefer to hope this is the case) he really meant £20 million for players, and the funding of the takeover is to come on top of that, then he only has to speak out and clarify the position.   As has been rightly said, it’s in his power to make the Board’s position untenable.

Over to you, Mr Cullum.  

[/quote]Empty Mirror, this post expresses absolutely how I feel about this. I, for one, would be delighted to hail Mr Cullum as our saviour IF he is prepared to buy the shareholding for a fair price AND put £20m into the transfer pot. The bank loans aren''t an issue because, as has been said already, he would have no trouble in having them assigned to him.If Delia and Co. refused an offer on those terms I would be marching on FCR with Smudger and 1st Wizard!Come on Mr Cullum, cut all this short, tell us you are prepared to negotiate on the above terms and let''s get on with building a team we can all enjoy watching...

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]The AGM took place on 18th October.  About ten days before that, a poster called JC came on here with a rumour that Peter Cullum was trying to get into the club but was "being blocked", a rumour which in hindsight was almost certainly true.  "Being blocked" suggests to me that an offer probably had been made by about 9th or 10th October when this post appeared, but we don''t know for sure.[/quote]

Now that you mention it, I do remember JC''s posts.  It is starting to sound a bit dodgy, isn''t it ? [:o] [:)]

[/quote]

Perhaps it would be helpful to try and find that thread?  When I''ve got time I''ll have a trawl through blah.

Wah-wah oops [:|]

I just hope this doesn''t run on and on and on, this club needs a fresh start with a fresh new outlook, so come on Peter give us fans some hope.