Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Re: No official bid for Ameobi yet?

I would. But thats opinions for you. I think he would get the goals for us. Remember that strikers who score cost a fair bit and I believe that he will.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

Is interesting the use of the phrase ''could ultimately'' be worth £3.5m - it would suggest that the initial payment would be a lot less and such a figure would depend greatly on promotion/other ''happenings''.

IMO as long as the initial outlay isn''t much more than, say, Â£1.5-2m it would be a pretty decent deal.  You''d have to say that he is potentially much more worthwhile as a punt than someone like Beckford, for whom similar figures have been bandied about.

[/quote]

If I may be so bold and just quote you Branston because you have said exactly what I feel in this matter and it will save me typing it all out .

Bearing in mind his injury fairly recently I''d go for £2m max up front, £1m after approx 12 months depending on appearances, £0.5m upon promotion to reach the £3.5m value touted, (paid for from the Earnie money I believe we may have recently received from Derby as a result of their selling him to Forest, and to further add to the conspiracy I suggest we asked this somewhat overdue fee was not paid until after the old financial year in which I assume we made a loss ended in May). All makes sense to me in a nonsensical way.

[quote user="NegativeVibes"]I wouldn''t pay a many over £2 million for him. Including future fees.[/quote]

I''m kind of feeling that way too. I''ll be glad to seem him here but considering his lack of real fitness and only having 12 months left on a contract it seems steep to pay £3.5mil. Having said that if he gets us to the prem, £3.5mil will be a drop in the ocean for the money to be made there.

I''m still not entirely convinced this will go through, despite the "on the verge" part. Surely theres got to be at least 1 prem club who''d want him? Whens he signs then I''ll believe.

You do have to remember the sort of prices being bandied around for players like Beckford, who has only ever played a handful of games outside the heights of League 1.  IMO if we are to take a c£1.5m-£2m gamble, I think I''d prefer it to be on Ameobi.  Plenty of managers have rated him good enough to keep in a Premiership set up, so he must have something about him and Roeder would hopefully know how to get it.  

I don''t believe we have the ££ to spend too much up front, so can only imagine that a £3.5m figure would be dependent on huge add-ons based on promotion....and if such clauses were ever needed, perhaps he''d have been worth every penny.

At the end of the day, goal scorers cost money.  IF this deal is true,  it''s the kind that''ll make or break Roeder as our manager.  Ameobi the goal scorer Roeder is God,  Ameobi the misfiring headless chicken. Roeder is mud.

Pickle, I find myself agreeing with you on a regular basis now, I too would have Shola over someone like Beckford or that bloke from Posh.

"

I thought he was set to sign for ............. down the road?"As was Jeffers, Wright and Nugent !As to the figures being bandied about I would take them all with a pinch of salt - remember Dave Striker''s supposed £750,000 fee which turned out to be an annual wage £240,000 over three years. It is the interest of both buying and selling clubs to talk up the price.Even more interesting though is Doncaster''s earlier comments about the pauper''s bid being nowhere near the figure quoted. Which does suggest involvement and negotiations that have been ongoing for somewhile. I think many on here are going to be very surpised come Cardiff in September.Watch this space !

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" I thought he was set to sign for ............. down the road?"

As was Jeffers, Wright and Nugent !

As to the figures being bandied about I would take them all with a pinch of salt - remember Dave Striker''s supposed £750,000 fee which turned out to be an annual wage £240,000 over three years. It is the interest of both buying and selling clubs to talk up the price.

Even more interesting though is Doncaster''s earlier comments about the pauper''s bid being nowhere near the figure quoted. Which does suggest involvement and negotiations that have been ongoing for somewhile. I think many on here are going to be very surpised come Cardiff in September.

Watch this space !
[/quote]

come cardiff in september??

coventry???

[quote]Plenty of managers have rated him good enough to keep in a Premiership set up[/quote]

Thats the thing I can''t get my head around. Why hasn''t a prem club come forward?

And considering our finish last season (not entirely Glens fault I know) why would a player apparently worthy of the prem join us? Can it really be purely because of who our manager is?

I''m still hopeful we swoop for Rigters (or even Riordan perhaps) but this has to be a substantial chunk of out budget if this does come true, even if we are only paying £1.5mill upfront. I hope this doesn''t mean a load of crap players to fill the other vast gaps in the squad. One man does not make a team afterall.

Not sure if hes worth that amount, would love him to prove me wrong tho!!

Would only love to get him to give a big two fingers to the scum!!

reports are now saying a deal has already been agreed.

does this mean all we need to do is agree personal terms. he seems pretty keen. we could have ameobi people :)

Congratulations,

the 10th person to start a thread on this topic since 9.30 wins a new TV!

Must admit it is good to read how he has already rejected moves to Ipswich (and Stoke) to supposedly choose us!

[quote user="HUDDY "]

Congratulations,

the 10th person to start a thread on this topic since 9.30 wins a new TV!

[/quote]

uuuuum

If we get him and get him fit he will be an awesome striker at this level, Roeder gave him his chance at Newcastle and with Lee Clark here as well it would be like home from home for him. I''d say much of the 3.5 million would be based on appearances and success of the club with around 1.5-2 million up front. Good news Gordon said there would be more signings tomorrow but he also said that Ameobi wouldn''t be coming so who knows, the mail are generally a reasonably reliable source so here''s hoping their right on this one.

"come cardiff in september??

coventry???"

Oops, meant Plymouth. Hands up, looked at last seasons'' fixtures ...... durrrrrrrrrrrr !It would hardly be Coventry. The transfer window will still be open for another three weeks and the loans don''t kick in until afterwards.It''s then that we will see how well we''ve done and where we are going.

I would imagine that if we sign 3 players in the next week, and Righters is not one of them, then Ameobi might actually happen. No way Glen would go into a season relying on loanees as his primary strikers. It seems the recent talk about Cullum, Turners etc... might mean there is more money than originally thought.  Delia did just do quite well with her book, who knows?  But Ameobi''s snubbing Ipswich, then the agent saying after the snub that Norwich City would be a nice place for Shola (i.e. come and get me Glen!) has made me a bit more optimistic about landing him.  

[quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]

[quote]Plenty of managers have rated him good enough to keep in a Premiership set up[/quote]

Thats the thing I can''t get my head around. Why hasn''t a prem club come forward?

And considering our finish last season (not entirely Glens fault I know) why would a player apparently worthy of the prem join us? Can it really be purely because of who our manager is?

[/quote]

I believe he genuinely has massive respect for Roeder and visa-versa - listening to any time Roeder has commented on him. And he can still play in the premier, and face it we do need a striker (he is a very good one). My only worry is for the money left over to strenghten other positions of need - may we be relying too much on incoming loans? Whatever happens, if we bid anything like 3.5 mill (regardless of how much is add-ons etc), no-one can question the ambition of our board.

Sign him up!

p.s. I dont think this is the Thursday signing(s) though ...

I don''t think that GR would use all his funds on one player. Yes, he will get the loans in and fe freebies, like Clingon. I still think he would get 3-4 money signings.

[quote user="HUDDY "]

do you know something Canary Chris?

Or is it a guess!

[/quote]

I am afraid I have to admit it is a guess (educated however)! My only source is www.canaries.co.uk, i find its pretty reliable though. Im putting two and two together from everything i;ve heard, will see what my two and two adds up to by tomorrow evening!

This still worries me:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJG3boMpY_MWhere''s Camuldonum when you need him? It would be very interesting to get his opinion on whether the Mail (spit) would only print this if they''d had some genuine info, or whether they''re just recycling the endless speculation on various message boards.And I don''t think the binners ever said they''d made an offer did they? It looked with hindsight like his agent was stirring things.