Sign in to follow this  
Kathy

Are City as bad as us lot?

Whats this all about kicking the ball straight out of play from the kick off? As we are the best team in the world this could not possibly be down to bad play even on one occasion, let alone the last umpteen games when they have started the matches like this. Or did they notice that they did it once, say just before xmas, and then went on to win nearly all their games and therefore decided it was a double helix thingy. Could it be that they are as superstitious as the rest of us? Or was it something to do with you Wizard? Did you send out a decree? Let us know because it could be we need to do it in the Premier.

I too have noticed this ploy. I suppose it''s just so that we don''t give the ball away and conceed early. To be fair, in the last two home games we''ve scored in under 2 minutes AND won our last 7 games!! Perhaps we should stick with this next season.

Incidently, there used to be a popular bet at bookies as to the time of the first throw in. This bet was banned though as players would bet (or get others to bet for them!) vast sums of money as they knew that if they won the kick off, they would kick it into touch in about 2 seconds!

To me it looks like Worthy is using the old rugby tactic of "kicking for touch". Seems to work too. However this doesn''t stop the people sitting around me from tutting every time it happens though.

Anyone notice Marseilles did it last night? Copying Nigels tactics indeed. Worked for them though didnt it?

they used to do it when ashley ward used to play and they used to try to actually keep it in play once they picked it wide.
Now however it is a territory thing where we want to pin them back immediately. is slightly odd but it has clearly worker for us!
i wonder how many pub sides in norwich will be trying it next season!

I think you will find it is an old Howard Wilkinson/Graham Taylor ploy nicked from some bloke called Charles Hughes (I think). With the idea being that you will have more players on the pitch than opposition (ie 1 person off pitch to take the throw) and the opposition will be stuck in their own half initially at least.

There''s a rumour going round that we''re going to sign Jonny Wilkinson for next season.
Then we can kick off, pass the ball to Jonny, Jonny plants it right in the corner, quick throw in to Hucks, a little jiggle past 2 defenders, a cross and a header by Svennson - one nil inside 30 seconds while all those highly paid defenders are still working out how much money there going to earn for the next 90 minutes "work"

I noticed them doing this weeks ago and it''s always Francis who kicks into touch. It has to be a superstition coz has anyone ever seen Hucks head the ball? I did notice though that Preston did exactly the same thing so perhaps it''s a new tactic. It''ll be interesting if they do it at Crewe on Sunday.

In the early 70''s a similar thing happened with the ''pass'' straight from kick off out to the right wing where Foggo used to run on to it - as he was not the tallest either the result was similar - weird eh? City were successful then too

I think its a good ploy. Gets the ball deep in the opposition half and theyre instantly on the back foot. Come on City!

Fatman Fat

are you sure these two supposed football geniuses are connected with our nige?

i shouldn''t think so!!

we do seem to use the grass to play footie these days lol