Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Congratultions Norfolk/Suffolk police !

[quote user="scott"]

It disgusts me that in this day and age of little or next to no football related trouble at either Norwich or the Essex reject boys the the East Anglian derby games are switched!

All you get at either game is a group of teenage lads who probably didn''t even go to the game shouting your Sh*t at fans as there safely on the other side of the station or behind the huge police presence - And to be honest the last couple of Norwich performances at Portakabin Road have been exactly that so I agreed with them totally. I''m certainly not going to get violent about it when the team has show little fight on the pitch!

The police tend to go over the top and make situations worse than would be otherwise such as not letting Norwich fans onto Lowestoft trains when they know that theres lots of Canary fans in that area and they travelled to the game on the very same line and holding Norwich fans at Ipsh*T station for so long they end up with huge conjestion at the ageing Portakabin Road away turnstiles and people struggling to get in for the kick off.

Other than that and the fact that despite the huge police presense outside, once in the ground away fans use the same refreshment facilities as home fans and can buy tickets in home areas then once in the ground can switch to the away end I agree wholeheartedly with the strong police presense. - Although one underhand reason for coppers changing to Sunday is so that they can get double time - a point that made to me by an attractive female copper at the recent Portakabin Road game!

But with the changes in pub, bar, club opening times, shopping centres being open on a Sunday and with the heavy police presense there is no good reason why Derby games can''t be played on a Saturday, No one likes Sunday football cause the atmosphere is dead compared to the proper Saturday afternoon and the fact that Norwich rarely perform on a Sunday. If games have to be changed then why not move them to Friday nights where you''d get a great atmosphere like we had at Carrow Road in the late 90''s when we beat them 3-1!

Another thing that makes the local police moving the Derby games to Sunday seem very over the top is the fact that Arsenal/Spurs, Rangers/Celtic and other Derby games around Britain are played on a Saturday!

- Now your not not telling me that Norwich/Ipswich is more high risk than those 2 Derby clashes!

Like the banning of proper terraces where people can stand (and theres thousands including youngsters who do!) moving the Derby games to Sundays stinks cause theres no good reason to do it!

[/quote]

Well said scott, everything in this post is spot on. Bring back the friday night derbies, what sort of supporter actually enjoys a derby kicking off at noon on a sunday with no atmosphere, no hostility and no chance to get a couple of drinks in before the game? Jesus, the prawn sandwich posters strike again.

[quote user="scott"]

Another thing that makes the local police moving the Derby games to Sunday seem very over the top is the fact that Arsenal/Spurs, Rangers/Celtic and other Derby games around Britain are played on a Saturday!

[/quote]

I bet they also end up getting moved to early kick-offs when they get around to it.

I remember last season noting that all the big derby''s were all early kickoffs.

Man U v Man City - even when one was the 50 year Munich thing

Newcastle v Sunderland

Arsenal v Spurs

Birmingham v Villa

Chelsea v Fulham

If you take a look through last season, I think you''ll find that when any of the above games were on weekends, they were early kick-offs.

[quote user="Gingembre"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="MK Canary"][quote user="WrightyBoy"]

What planet are you guys on????????

Do you really think that cops get paid double on a Sunday?? hah ha ha!! Dont be so bloody stupid...the government wont even pay them the rise they were entitled too..........

........and they would not have to move the game to early kick off if some of you stupid chav little animals didnt cause trouble!!!!!!!! GROW UP!! 

[/quote]

Well unless the policeman we were stood talking to outside Portman Road was lying, they did get paid double time for the game, so er, yes, I do think they get paid double time.

... as for that last comment, well, how do I respond to that? Just who are you accusing of being a "stupid chav little animal" ?

Personally I hope it''s not me - since I''m married with children and have never caused any trouble of any form at any football match (or outside of a football match too for that matter) in my life.
[/quote]

The only way they would get overtime is if they are called in on their rest days without 28 days notice, so what the policeman said to you might be true.  If they get over 28 days notice it''s a normal working day without extra pay.

Hope that clears things up a little.

[/quote]

That''s not true, double time is only offered if there is less than 5 days notice for a shift...........28days is not true
Last season''s game at Carrow Road went off with only 1 arrest due to excellent work from both sets of Constabulary''s (I know  - I worked!)
The intel receved for the game was spot on and there were at least 50 Norwich Fans looking for trouble from very early in the day, they even approached the cordon after the game....although I reckon they would''ve run a mile had the police cleared a path ;)
If you would like to pm me, I will answer any questions you have but I will not get embroilled in a silly argument on the board.
IMO-  -the early kick off is necessary, a later one would cause problems and I have to say that until the minority of ''old school'' supporters let go, this fixture will always be brought forward.
This also enhances the chances of Sky screning it =£££''s
The club only pay for police INSIDE the ground, just to clear that one up too
Cheers, Come on you yellows
[/quote]

To be fair there are no questions and who is arguing?  lol like I said my better half is in the Norfolk Constabulary.  Are you a police man/woman based In Norwich then or outside?

[quote user="jetstream"]Agree with Mello there. It''s a weird logic in this argument: there hasn''t been any trouble at these matches for years so they should be put back to a Saturday 3pm kick-off. Er, perhaps one of the reasons why there''s been so little trouble is the fact the games are a Sunday 12 noon KO, thereby reducing the potential for pre-match alcohol consumption. The police have these things well-rehearsed and it seems to work. I don''t see the problem.[/quote]

Don''t see where kicking off at midday on a Sunday would have any effect on people if they wanted to drink either at home or in bars that open for longer with the new legislation?

Anyone could go clubbing and don''t get out until 3-4 am whenever they shut and be absolutely plastered and turn up for the midday kick off. A lot of the bars are open before the midday Derby games anyway, so it makes sod all difference!

Like banning terracing theres no real good reason to move the Derbies games to Sundays!

If the same scanario of a Sunday Derby game was used if the game was changed back to its proper time of Saturday at 3pm with the same police presense and the vast majority of the away contingent frogmarched into the station onto trains and out ASAP then does anyone think that Saturday matches would see more trouble - Cause not!

Anyhow 99% of Norwich and Ips*ut fans mindsets are not like they were 25-40 years ago. Most of us think violence at fotball games is naff and avoid it and don''t go looking for it like many fans in the 60''s, 70''s and early 80''s!

The football club actually foots the bill for policing on match days.  The police determine how many police they will need at a game, if any, and then club has to pay.  On certain games, where the police need a mandatory amount, if the club refuse to pay them (have them there), the police can officially abandon the game due to health and safety.  I don''t know for sure, but the club would probably then get some sort of fine from the police/city council and also from the FA for having an abandoned match where it is their fault and not an electrical fault or having an abandonment due to adverse weather. 

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

[quote user="LinkNR9"]No, that''s not correct. The police don''t get paid any extra for working weekends or nights.[/quote]

Good, that will cheer me up the next time I see some sneaky speed cops who could be catching muggers etc

[/quote]

Why could they be out catching muggers?? They are Tarffic Police...that means they deal with TRAFFIC???!!

CAN I MAKE IT ANY CLEARER FOR YOU BARCLAY_BOY??!!

[quote user="WrightyBoy"][quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

[quote user="LinkNR9"]No, that''s not correct. The police don''t get paid any extra for working weekends or nights.[/quote]

Good, that will cheer me up the next time I see some sneaky speed cops who could be catching muggers etc

[/quote]

Why could they be out catching muggers?? They are Tarffic Police...that means they deal with TRAFFIC???!!

CAN I MAKE IT ANY CLEARER FOR YOU BARCLAY_BOY??!!

[/quote]

Ah so they''re one trick ponys then. So therefore if they received a call that a mugging/robbery was in progress they would just stay sitting in their cars with their eyes glued to the camera would they? Thanks for clearing that one up. Sorry my own personal experience of Suffolk Police is that they''re useless. However they did manage to fine a mate £240 for speeding at 5am in the morning on a deserted road and also an elderley widow friend of my mum''s got fined £60 for doing 35mph in a 30mph zone. Call them out to deal with real crime and sadly they usually fail.

By the way, this forum is for expressing opinions, not for you to act as dictator, and to help you with your next post - it doesn''t make you appear any harder by putting the last line in capitals.

[quote user="Gingembre"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="MK Canary"][quote user="WrightyBoy"]

Do you really think that cops get paid double on a Sunday?? hah ha ha!! Dont be so bloody stupid...the government wont even pay them the rise they were entitled too..........

........and they would not have to move the game to early kick off if some of you stupid chav little animals didnt cause trouble!!!!!!!! GROW UP!! 

[/quote]

Well unless the policeman we were stood talking to outside Portman Road was lying, they did get paid double time for the game, so er, yes, I do think they get paid double time.

... as for that last comment, well, how do I respond to that? Just who are you accusing of being a "stupid chav little animal" ?

Personally I hope it''s not me - since I''m married with children and have never caused any trouble of any form at any football match (or outside of a football match too for that matter) in my life.
[/quote]

The only way they would get overtime is if they are called in on their rest days without 28 days notice, so what the policeman said to you might be true.  If they get over 28 days notice it''s a normal working day without extra pay.

[/quote]

That''s not true, double time is only offered if there is less than 5 days notice for a shift...........28days is not true
Last season''s game at Carrow Road went off with only 1 arrest due to excellent work from both sets of Constabulary''s (I know  - I worked!)
The intel receved for the game was spot on and there were at least 50 Norwich Fans looking for trouble from very early in the day, they even approached the cordon after the game....although I reckon they would''ve run a mile had the police cleared a path ;)
If you would like to pm me, I will answer any questions you have but I will not get embroilled in a silly argument on the board.
IMO-  -the early kick off is necessary, a later one would cause problems and I have to say that until the minority of ''old school'' supporters let go, this fixture will always be brought forward.
[/quote]

is it true that the p[olice have no powers INSIDe the ground and if someone needs removing its down to the stewards...? the p0olice powers only start outside the ground.. so the stewards chuck you out then the rozzers can nab you outside? Someone who knows a head steward at Carrow Road told me that

jas :)

Sheffield United v Sheffield Wednesady kicked off at 8pm on a mid-week night last season and from what I understand there was no news of trouble between the two sets of fans. I find it pretty pathetic that the Norfolk/Suffolk don''t think that they are capable of handleing a traditinal 3pm kick of game between Norwich and Ipswich, these noon kick offs take something away from the fans as derby day just isn''t the same with them.

Best chance of us getting a decent derby kick off time, is if we get lucky and draw the scum in one of the cup competitions.

" out to deal with real crime"Unlike speeding, which is the major factor in over 850 deaths a yearand over 30,000 injuries.

Exactly mate, but some people still act like 2 yr olds "go and catch some muggers"... do a better job yourself if you think you can, with crap pay, no powers too much paper work and very under staffed, see how you like it Barclay...

[quote user="MK Canary"][quote user="WrightyBoy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You don''t get paiddouble time for sundays. But you get double time for working with less than 5 days notice, which as the matches are planned in advance, there is not much of that overtime around. I should know, the tight gits. Mind you, not too bothered about the ay rise, it was only 250 quid.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="MK Canary"][quote user="WrightyBoy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wrong mate. Sorry, read mt last post[:)]

[quote user="bigbear"]The football club actually foots the bill for policing on match days.  The police determine how many police they will need at a game, if any, and then club has to pay.  On certain games, where the police need a mandatory amount, if the club refuse to pay them (have them there), the police can officially abandon the game due to health and safety.  I don''t know for sure, but the club would probably then get some sort of fine from the police/city council and also from the FA for having an abandoned match where it is their fault and not an electrical fault or having an abandonment due to adverse weather. [/quote]

The football club pay for the police in the ground and on the exits etc. Other than that it comes out of the forces budget. They have their own risk assessment to how many serials of police they need.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Gingembre"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="MK Canary"][quote user="WrightyBoy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

is it true that the p[olice have no powers INSIDe the ground and if someone needs removing its down to the stewards...? the p0olice powers only start outside the ground.. so the stewards chuck you out then the rozzers can nab you outside? Someone who knows a head steward at Carrow Road told me that

jas :)

[/quote]

Stewards have the power to remove people and police would assist in the ejection. Police would either be informed by the stewards of any racist, swearing, throwing objects etc or they would deal it would if seen or heard.

Well thats how we do it at my friendly club in London I work at.

Sorry, lots of post on one post, makes me sad I think, but I thought I would pass my inside knowledge to you all.[:D]

Lets get this straight, the Police don''t tell us to play on Sundays, Its our beloved clubs who can''t say no to Sky tv Who can''t film live on saturday 3pm, I have a high ranking police officer friend who tells me the police would rather we played on Saturdays as it means bringing in extra manpower for sunday, and even Friday night has been suggested but turned down by both clubs, and even when we are not being televised both clubs request Sunday am kick offs, 

[quote user="pete_norw"]Lets get this straight, the Police don''t tell us to play on Sundays, Its our beloved clubs who can''t say no to Sky tv Who can''t film live on saturday 3pm, I have a high ranking police officer friend who tells me the police would rather we played on Saturdays as it means bringing in extra manpower for sunday, and even Friday night has been suggested but turned down by both clubs, and even when we are not being televised both clubs request Sunday am kick offs, [/quote]

I don''t think thats right. I asked Neil Doncaster about this directly at a forum last year and he made it clear it is a police decision. I have also seen an email from the Chief Constable of Norfolk Constabulary to a fan explaining in some detail why they always insist on the match being played on a sunday with an early kick-off.

Frankly I think its pathetic and has ruined the derby match as a spectacle. It can''t be a co-incidence that (perhaps last season''s 2-2 aside) there has not been a decent derby match since we switched to these ridiculous kick-offs. Just another sign of how football in general has been/is being ruined through sanitisation and diluting the atmosphere. Most of the "lads" don''t even bother going to Portman Road anymore and if you ask me the police could implement the same measures just as easily on a saturday now as they do on the Sunday. All they have to do is gather the away fans up as they come out of the station and put them in a  nearby pub before marching them to the ground before kick-off. Its not rocket science!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="pete_norw"]Lets get this straight, the Police don''t tell us to play on Sundays, Its our beloved clubs who can''t say no to Sky tv Who can''t film live on saturday 3pm, I have a high ranking police officer friend who tells me the police would rather we played on Saturdays as it means bringing in extra manpower for sunday, and even Friday night has been suggested but turned down by both clubs, and even when we are not being televised both clubs request Sunday am kick offs, [/quote]

I don''t think thats right. I asked Neil Doncaster about this directly at a forum last year and he made it clear it is a police decision. I have also seen an email from the Chief Constable of Norfolk Constabulary to a fan explaining in some detail why they always insist on the match being played on a sunday with an early kick-off.

Frankly I think its pathetic and has ruined the derby match as a spectacle. It can''t be a co-incidence that (perhaps last season''s 2-2 aside) there has not been a decent derby match since we switched to these ridiculous kick-offs. Just another sign of how football in general has been/is being ruined through sanitisation and diluting the atmosphere. Most of the "lads" don''t even bother going to Portman Road anymore and if you ask me the police could implement the same measures just as easily on a saturday now as they do on the Sunday. All they have to do is gather the away fans up as they come out of the station and put them in a  nearby pub before marching them to the ground before kick-off. Its not rocket science!

[/quote]Jim, you''re not seriously suggesting that Norwich''s poor performances are down to kick-off times are you? I saw plenty of shockers at 3pm on a Saturday too!Also are you telling us that the fans can''t get up for a local derby at mid-day? I reckon thet could whip up an atmosphere if there was a 7am kick-off against IpswichI think you''ll find - in fact I know - that your amazing suggestion to round them up etc is what they actually do, why don''t you write to the chief and ask to spend the day with the football unit on a match day to get an insight into what goes on??? Perhaps then you''ll be able to put accross a good argument instead of guesswork!I do agree though that the games are changed on police ''advice'' although not insistence.....however it doesn''t saeem to bother the club when Sky come knocking and there''s a few quid in it.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" out to deal with real crime"

Unlike speeding, which is the major factor in over 850 deaths a year

and over 30,000 injuries.

[/quote]

lots of road deaths in germany then. I''ll just bet you and wrighty boy are related, and are pillars of the community

[quote user="WrightyBoy"]Exactly mate, but some people still act like 2 yr olds "go and catch some muggers"... do a better job yourself if you think you can, with crap pay, no powers too much paper work and very under staffed, see how you like it Barclay...[/quote]

Sorry wouldn''t take the pay cut! (you aren''t one of thouse "community police" are you?) Lovely outfits

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" out to deal with real crime"

Unlike speeding, which is the major factor in over 850 deaths a year

and over 30,000 injuries.

[/quote]

Prawn sandwich Walphy? Still not answered my reply about the programme seller have you?

[quote user="Gingembre"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Jim, you''re not seriously suggesting that Norwich''s poor performances are down to kick-off times are you? I saw plenty of shockers at 3pm on a Saturday too!
Also are you telling us that the fans can''t get up for a local derby at mid-day? I reckon thet could whip up an atmosphere if there was a 7am kick-off against Ipswich
I think you''ll find - in fact I know - that your amazing suggestion to round them up etc is what they actually do, why don''t you write to the chief and ask to spend the day with the football unit on a match day to get an insight into what goes on??? Perhaps then you''ll be able to put accross a good argument instead of guesswork!
I do agree though that the games are changed on police ''advice'' although not insistence.....however it doesn''t saeem to bother the club when Sky come knocking and there''s a few quid in it.
[/quote]

Not saying it is to blame for our performances but i don''t think it helps - point was more to do with the atmosphere and intensity having dropped massively since the games were switched to the early kick-off times.

I know rounding up is what they do (having been to every derby game bar 1 in the last decade) my point was that they have got it down to a fine art now and could do it just as effectively at 3pm on a saturday as at 11am on a Sunday. Was not a suggestion in any event. If I was to make a suggestion to them it would be to do their job (which in my view is to ensure football fans get to and from the game safely and not to treat all away fans like sc*m) without infringing my civil liberties and police the game in as normal a fashion as is possible. Given the choice between running the gauntlet of a few binners or being herded like cattle all day i would gladly take my chances.

I have no desire whatsoever to spend a day with the football unit. I know what goes on and have had plenty of "insight" into how they approach things through having been on the receiving end of over-zealous policing on several occasions.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Gingembre"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]Jim, you''re not seriously suggesting that Norwich''s poor performances are down to kick-off times are you? I saw plenty of shockers at 3pm on a Saturday too!Also are you telling us that the fans can''t get up for a local derby at mid-day? I reckon thet could whip up an atmosphere if there was a 7am kick-off against IpswichI think you''ll find - in fact I know - that your amazing suggestion to round them up etc is what they actually do, why don''t you write to the chief and ask to spend the day with the football unit on a match day to get an insight into what goes on??? Perhaps then you''ll be able to put accross a good argument instead of guesswork!I do agree though that the games are changed on police ''advice'' although not insistence.....however it doesn''t saeem to bother the club when Sky come knocking and there''s a few quid in it.[/quote]

Not saying it is to blame for our performances but i don''t think it helps - point was more to do with the atmosphere and intensity having dropped massively since the games were switched to the early kick-off times.

I know rounding up is what they do (having been to every derby game bar 1 in the last decade) my point was that they have got it down to a fine art now and could do it just as effectively at 3pm on a saturday as at 11am on a Sunday. Was not a suggestion in any event. If I was to make a suggestion to them it would be to do their job (which in my view is to ensure football fans get to and from the game safely and not to treat all away fans like sc*m) without infringing my civil liberties and police the game in as normal a fashion as is possible. Given the choice between running the gauntlet of a few binners or being herded like cattle all day i would gladly take my chances.

I have no desire whatsoever to spend a day with the football unit. I know what goes on and have had plenty of "insight" into how they approach things through having been on the receiving end of over-zealous policing on several occasions.

[/quote]sorry Jim, but you obviously do not know what goes on as your post clearly (to me at least) explains, however we are all entiltled to our own opinions and I respect yours although totally disagree with it.I wouldn''t want to ''take my chances'' with any fans and can''t begin to tell you of the injuries \i have seen inflicted at football matches.Maybe they could still 3pm the games and I for one can''t see why not, I think it boils down to the Sat nightime element of away fans hanging around with the clubbing fraternity?On a Sunday there are no such issues with this.Your suggestion to let them ''do their job'' is exactly what they are doing, they ensure that 20K people get to and from a game as safely as possible, I know for a FACT there was only one arrest at CR last season (an IT fan drunk trying to enter the ground) and also there were no hospital admissions....good days work I think?G

Over zealous - can''t believe you think that of Norfolk Police, but again I respect your opinion.

I do believe that we have lost something good by loosing the saturday ''kick-off''. Nevertheless I can remember the last Sat fixture at 3.00 p.m at Gippeswyk. I went down to a Pub I know quite well in the Tawn centre, and to be honest the pre match hostility (fuelled by drink) reached a high pitch, and to my mind serious violence would have resulted if the locals had crossed any obvious City fans in the locality.