Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Congratultions Norfolk/Suffolk police !

Yet another admission by moving the two derbys next season to Sunday noon kick-offs, that they can''t do their jobs proporly and can''t control a crowd.

Instead of just automatically changing these kick-off times -how about investigating ways that these games can still be played later in the day?

I can remember the days when we would take 10000 fans down to Portman Road and they likewise up here. Nowadays when there''s only 2000 away fans at each match, it''s a pretty damning indictment on these two police forces when they are admitting that they can''t handle this amount of fans unless the kick off is riduculously early !.

To be honest, I would rather the Police Forces spent their money on something else than controlling a football game.Also the moving of the match increases the chance of Sky picking it up.Remember there are more important things than football in the world.

[quote user="Jonny 5"]To be honest, I would rather the Police Forces spent their money on something else than controlling a football game.Also the moving of the match increases the chance of Sky picking it up.Remember there are more important things than football in the world.

[/quote]The Police force charge for the policing at football matches thus making some money for their respective force.

The police have to plan for what might happen, in the worst case scenario. Knowing the rivalry between the two clubs, it''s only right that the games should be moved to Sunday, when they can probably allocate more men to the job. Plus, it gives us the chance to get Sky money in. Before anyone asks, no I''m not a copper!

[quote user="Jonny 5"]To be honest, I would rather the Police Forces spent their money on something else than controlling a football game.Also the moving of the match increases the chance of Sky picking it up.Remember there are more important things than football in the world.

[/quote]Hang on, don''t the Police get double time for working on a Sunday?That means it actually costs the tax-payer more to have the game policed than it would do were it played on a Saturday

[quote user="Jonny 5"]

Remember there are more important things than football in the world.

[/quote]

there is?? [:O]

It disgusts me that in this day and age of little or next to no football related trouble at either Norwich or the Essex reject boys the the East Anglian derby games are switched!

All you get at either game is a group of teenage lads who probably didn''t even go to the game shouting your Sh*t at fans as there safely on the other side of the station or behind the huge police presence - And to be honest the last couple of Norwich performances at Portakabin Road have been exactly that so I agreed with them totally. I''m certainly not going to get violent about it when the team has show little fight on the pitch!

The police tend to go over the top and make situations worse than would be otherwise such as not letting Norwich fans onto Lowestoft trains when they know that theres lots of Canary fans in that area and they travelled to the game on the very same line and holding Norwich fans at Ipsh*T station for so long they end up with huge conjestion at the ageing Portakabin Road away turnstiles and people struggling to get in for the kick off.

Other than that and the fact that despite the huge police presense outside, once in the ground away fans use the same refreshment facilities as home fans and can buy tickets in home areas then once in the ground can switch to the away end I agree wholeheartedly with the strong police presense. - Although one underhand reason for coppers changing to Sunday is so that they can get double time - a point that made to me by an attractive female copper at the recent Portakabin Road game!

But with the changes in pub, bar, club opening times, shopping centres being open on a Sunday and with the heavy police presense there is no good reason why Derby games can''t be played on a Saturday, No one likes Sunday football cause the atmosphere is dead compared to the proper Saturday afternoon and the fact that Norwich rarely perform on a Sunday. If games have to be changed then why not move them to Friday nights where you''d get a great atmosphere like we had at Carrow Road in the late 90''s when we beat them 3-1!

Another thing that makes the local police moving the Derby games to Sunday seem very over the top is the fact that Arsenal/Spurs, Rangers/Celtic and other Derby games around Britain are played on a Saturday!

- Now your not not telling me that Norwich/Ipswich is more high risk than those 2 Derby clashes!

Like the banning of proper terraces where people can stand (and theres thousands including youngsters who do!) moving the Derby games to Sundays stinks cause theres no good reason to do it!

Did anyone really expect anything other than the Derby fixtures being moved to 12:00 on a Sunday?

In retrospect, it doesn''t really bother me.....I felt the policing both home and away recently was well handled, it allows those who don''t want physical and verbal confrontation, a safe passage to and from both grounds without being dragged innocently into unwelcome trouble with a minority of saddo hotheads who should know better.....Then again, they probably don''t. 

There were ''Taarn'' fans on the train to and from Portaloo, who boarded at Diss and other stations - no incidents, and ''mutual'' respect, was sort of evident......

That''s until we enter the ground.......then it''s a verbal free-for-all, and jolly good fun it is.....

Fisticuffs? It''s sooooo Seventies.....and also naff. 

What planet are you guys on????????

Do you really think that cops get paid double on a Sunday?? hah ha ha!! Dont be so bloody stupid...the government wont even pay them the rise they were entitled too..........

........and they would not have to move the game to early kick off if some of you stupid chav little animals didnt cause trouble!!!!!!!! GROW UP!! 

[quote user="WrightyBoy"]

........and they would not have to move the game to early kick off if some of you stupid chav little animals didnt cause trouble!!!!!!!! GROW UP!! 

[/quote]

hahahahahaha ahahahahaha hahahahahahaha

errrrr .. no [:|]

At any event you''ll always get a very small minority of t*ats who want to spoil it for everyone else and football these days falls into this category!

I bet theres more trouble in either Ipswich or Norwich on a typical Friday or Saturday night around the clubs, bars and stations than what they are at the Derby games of the last 10+ years!

Like most Norwich fans I know plenty of Scummer supporters and have have good lighted banter about it but nothing more. In fact I''ve got more time for people who support there local teams rather than so called fans who jump on the fairweather fan bandwagon and support one of the big successfull clubs. People who want to fight about football are ''saaaaad'' to say the least, like the t**ts a couple of seasons ago coming back from a spineless 3-0 mauling at little Colchester arranging a fight with Ips**T fans at Ipswich station - After such a crap lacking fight performance the last thing I wanted to do that day was fight about NCFC!

Its the few idiots like these who attach themselves to the clubs name that means we need a larger than usual police presense at games so that the vast majority of sane fans can avoid getting into un neccessary bother.

Yes we all enjoy beating the Scummers and putting one over our Suffolk neighbours but this Derby thing is blown way out of proportion. The media do this by saying stupid things like - fans don''t care if Norwich lose every game as long as they beat Ipswich - I would cause we''d be relegated with a record low points total of 6 points! 

I think if any sane fan had the choice of losing both Derby games but getting promoted of winning both Derby games and not going up they would opt for the 1st choice!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Did anyone really expect anything other than the Derby fixtures being moved to 12:00 on a Sunday?

In retrospect, it doesn''t really bother me.....I felt the policing both home and away recently was well handled, it allows those who don''t want physical and verbal confrontation, a safe passage to and from both grounds without being dragged innocently into unwelcome trouble with a minority of saddo hotheads who should know better.....Then again, they probably don''t. 

There were ''Taarn'' fans on the train to and from Portaloo, who boarded at Diss and other stations - no incidents, and ''mutual'' respect, was sort of evident......

That''s until we enter the ground.......then it''s a verbal free-for-all, and jolly good fun it is.....

Fisticuffs? It''s sooooo Seventies.....and also naff. 

[/quote]

Great post Mello, sums it up nicely.

Agree with Mello there.

It''s a weird logic in this argument: there hasn''t been any trouble at these matches for years so they should be put back to a Saturday 3pm kick-off.

Er, perhaps one of the reasons why there''s been so little trouble is the fact the games are a Sunday 12 noon KO, thereby reducing the potential for pre-match alcohol consumption.

The police have these things well-rehearsed and it seems to work.

I don''t see the problem.

[quote user="WrightyBoy"]

Do you really think that cops get paid double on a Sunday?? hah ha ha!! Dont be so bloody stupid...the government wont even pay them the rise they were entitled too..........

[/quote]Well unless the policeman we were stood talking to outside Portman Road was lying, they did get paid double time for the game, so er, yes, I do think they get paid double time.... as for that last comment, well, how do I respond to that? Just who are you accusing of being a "stupid chav little animal" ? Personally I hope it''s not me - since I''m married with children and have never caused any trouble of any form at any football match (or outside of a football match too for that matter) in my life.

[quote user="MK Canary"][quote user="WrightyBoy"]

[/quote]

Well unless the policeman we were stood talking to outside Portman Road was lying, they did get paid double time for the game, so er, yes, I do think they get paid double time.

... as for that last comment, well, how do I respond to that? Just who are you accusing of being a "stupid chav little animal" ?

Personally I hope it''s not me - since I''m married with children and have never caused any trouble of any form at any football match (or outside of a football match too for that matter) in my life.
[/quote]

The only way they would get overtime is if they are called in on their rest days without 28 days notice, so what the policeman said to you might be true.  If they get over 28 days notice it''s a normal working day without extra pay.

Hope that clears things up a little.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="MK Canary"][quote user="WrightyBoy"]

[/quote]

Well unless the policeman we were stood talking to outside Portman Road was lying, they did get paid double time for the game, so er, yes, I do think they get paid double time.

... as for that last comment, well, how do I respond to that? Just who are you accusing of being a "stupid chav little animal" ?

Personally I hope it''s not me - since I''m married with children and have never caused any trouble of any form at any football match (or outside of a football match too for that matter) in my life.
[/quote]

The only way they would get overtime is if they are called in on their rest days without 28 days notice, so what the policeman said to you might be true.  If they get over 28 days notice it''s a normal working day without extra pay.

[/quote]

Well whatever, thats the nature of the beast , if someone cant line their pockets, its an ill wind that cant blow someone some good . arrdee.

this midday kick-off is always explained away by the old phrase "crowd safety" etc....

what happened to "crowd safety" last season when sky came knocking and it was suddenly changed to 12.45 

No, that''s not correct. The police don''t get paid any extra for working weekends or nights.

Which is basically what I explained above, my better half having in fact worked for Norfolk Constabulary for well over 35 years.  It''s only if they get called in on rest days, or from leave without 28 days notice do they get any rewards.

Why should the police be any different to anyone else working overtime, if after working a straight 3 x 12 hr shift they then get called in to work urgently, do people not think they deserve either a bonus or days off in leu, just like any other worker?

Duty co-ordinators give notice to serving officers weeks if not months in advance, so normally there is no overtime given and they are on the basic wage.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Yet another admission by moving the two derbys next season to Sunday noon kick-offs, that they can''t do their jobs proporly and can''t control a crowd.

Instead of just automatically changing these kick-off times -how about investigating ways that these games can still be played later in the day?

I can remember the days when we would take 10000 fans down to Portman Road and they likewise up here. Nowadays when there''s only 2000 away fans at each match, it''s a pretty damning indictment on these two police forces when they are admitting that they can''t handle this amount of fans unless the kick off is riduculously early !.

[/quote]

Agreed. This is so lazy, it''s the easy option for the police and to hell with the wishes of the fans. Personally it just doesn''t feel right at football unless it''s 3pm on a Saturday or 7:45pm midweek.

Well done indeed and well done to Sky for royally screwing foot ball in this country in general.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]No, that''s not correct. The police don''t get paid any extra for working weekends or nights.[/quote]

Good, that will cheer me up the next time I see some sneaky speed cops who could be catching muggers etc

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

[quote user="LinkNR9"]No, that''s not correct. The police don''t get paid any extra for working weekends or nights.[/quote]

Good, that will cheer me up the next time I see some sneaky speed cops who could be catching muggers etc

[/quote]

DON''T SPEED THEN!.....Problem solved.

Then, when "Sonic Boom Brainless Boy" or "Waynetta Whizz" go screamin'' past you at Mach 3+ in their ''SubardooberBeemaBoo'' only to see them slam their anchor''s on - as they''ve just had their piccy taken by a ''too late suckah!'' mobile ''Road Safety'' camera....It''ll bring  a huge satisfied smile to your face....[:D]

Even better, have a good guffaw and a hearty slap of your thigh, when you pass their ''thrillin an'' killin'' machine parked on the side of the road, as they occupy the passenger seat of "Traffic Bobby''s Jam Sandwich" or a unmarked ''Cash Collector'' having to unfortunately give their details to the ''Mobile Mugger'' for the justifiable award of some penalty points, a donation of a few quid - and maybe a future ban......Luvverly! I tell you what, it makes my day when I see it!....No sympathy, whatsoever.....

Muggers or Daft Buggers? They''re all the same......

PS I''m not a Traffic Cop, or a Mobile ''Safety Camera'' operator......[8-|]    

I am very much of the opinion that all football should always be played at 3pm on a Saturday. I hate games getting moved around it just doesn''t seem the same. I''ve never caused any trouble at a football game and never would.

As for the Police, They couldn''t catch a cold in Febuary let alone a real criminal. as for the money the Forces rejects that sign up get, they don''t deserve a penny over what they get at the moment. Its just lucky they don''t have performance related pay!  

[quote user="The Duke"]

I am very much of the opinion that all football should always be played at 3pm on a Saturday. I hate games getting moved around it just doesn''t seem the same. I''ve never caused any trouble at a football game and never would.

As for the Police, They couldn''t catch a cold in Febuary let alone a real criminal. as for the money the Forces rejects that sign up get, they don''t deserve a penny over what they get at the moment. Its just lucky they don''t have performance related pay!  

[/quote]

Is that right?  If you think you can better the world why don''t you don a uniform and see how ''''easy'''' you think it is.

You think it''s easy scraping up dead bodies from motorways, or telling family members the person the love has died.

Some of you people need to live in the real world.

"Hang on, don''t the Police get double time for working on a Sunday?That means it actually costs the tax-payer more to have the game policed than it would do were it played on a Saturday"

hahahaha, you''re having a laugh

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="MK Canary"][quote user="WrightyBoy"]

[/quote]Well unless the policeman we were stood talking to outside Portman Road was lying, they did get paid double time for the game, so er, yes, I do think they get paid double time.... as for that last comment, well, how do I respond to that? Just who are you accusing of being a "stupid chav little animal" ? Personally I hope it''s not me - since I''m married with children and have never caused any trouble of any form at any football match (or outside of a football match too for that matter) in my life.[/quote]

[/quote]That''s not true, double time is only offered if there is less than 5 days notice for a shift...........28days is not trueLast season''s game at Carrow Road went off with only 1 arrest due to excellent work from both sets of Constabulary''s (I know  - I worked!)The intel receved for the game was spot on and there were at least 50 Norwich Fans looking for trouble from very early in the day, they even approached the cordon after the game....although I reckon they would''ve run a mile had the police cleared a path ;)If you would like to pm me, I will answer any questions you have but I will not get embroilled in a silly argument on the board.IMO-  -the early kick off is necessary, a later one would cause problems and I have to say that until the minority of ''old school'' supporters let go, this fixture will always be brought forward.This also enhances the chances of Sky screning it =£££''sThe club only pay for police INSIDE the ground, just to clear that one up tooCheers, Come on you yellows

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="The Duke"]

[/quote]

Is that right?  If you think you can better the world why don''t you don a uniform and see how ''''easy'''' you think it is.

You think it''s easy scraping up dead bodies from motorways, or telling family members the person the love has died.

Some of you people need to live in the real world.

[/quote]well said