Sign in to follow this  
Mello Yello

What if ?

What if (just hypothetically!) at the Millenium Stadium two seasons ago, we actually beat the Brummies 1-0 with Iwans goal, and achieved the coveted promotion. Does anyone think we would have survived the last couple of seasons in the Premiership? Bearing in mind the quality of the players that were ever present in the 2001/02 squad, plus the outstanding and accrued debts and what with the poor old South Stand in its final death throe''s. What would our present situation be?

Would Nigel Worthington still be manager? would the intended further development of the stadium have been carried out? Would Mr Huckerby be an established member of the current squad? and would the Fans still be clamouring to obtain seats for the games? also, would the board have pushed the boat out and strengthened the team?

The list could go on and on..... It''s just that a few of the old threads have been ''revived'', and so generated not only controversy, but also some constructive debate! (and quite a few chuckles and squirms of embarrassment no doubt!) I''m just a tadge curious, as I''ve just watched the Brummies on the Premiership tonight, and contemplated how Steve Bruce has maintained their current status and established themselves in the top-flight. I think Steve & Nigel are very similar managers, they are of the same ilk, very shrewd and prudent in their dealings with the players etc, they''re tactful and diplomatic with the media, and considerate to other football managers and rival clubs. Personally, I think we would be doing alright, considering the way that the players and board, coupled with the superb fans have contributed to the present success of NCFC. But I''m curious, and it would be interesting to see 12 months ahead and see if we were able to cut it in the Premier. I certainly wouldn''t have predicted us being Champion''s 12 months ago! Would You?.....OTBC

Interesting post ! , but I think its a mistake to rehash old posts ......... knee jerk reactions to the then situations are always funny / bad / atrocious when we look back at them !! , what matters ...is the future :o) ..... and its looking good ! ... we didn`t scrape through to the prem , we are the champions ......... next season is going to be one hell of roller coaster ride ..........enjoy the experience !!

mello

i completely agree with you, we would not be the same team, and i am glad we have gone up as champions this year, we were not really ready for it a couple of years ago, this time we won the title, and the division by right, we are the best team in the league and far better equipped to not only survive, but prosper in the promised land

and of course there would have been no huckerby, no top of the league at portman road etc

everything in life is destined, and this was our year, i never doubted we would be promoted since the arrival of hucks

we are going to enjoy next season, you''ll see, and we won''t be the relegation certainties the national media make us out to be, after all, weren''t we favourites for relegation from division one for most of the london mob?

just goes to show eh?