Sign in to follow this  
roland rat

Alan Gow to join from Rangers

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Does it really matter how much a player costs, as long as they do the business on the pitch? To some on here, there''s no difference in signing a player for £250k or for £3.5 million - they''re still going to be sh*t!

I know very little of Alan Gow, other than his name, so I''m not going to say "he''s sh*t" unless he appears on the pitch and proceeds to run around in a circle with his head down before falling over (as with Hughes).  I''ll keep an open mind and see how he performs.

Obviously some signings are going to be more exciting than others - Ameobi certainly got the blood pumping for some cos he''s a big name and apparently worth a lot of money.  To others he''s a waste of money and a no-mark Prem reserve.

In the Prem season we got Safri for £500k who promptly became a fans'' favourite.  We spent £750k on Jonsson, who promptly did very little.  We spent £3.5 mill on Dean Ashton and then sold him a year later.

Just a few examples of how money doesn''t make every world go round, especially when it comes to football fans...

[/quote]

You are right IMO, but the trouble is some fans won''t be happy even if we spend £10 mill on a player, they would then go on to moan that ''''god he aint worth that much'''', ''''are our board daft we could get 5 good players for that''''.  Thing is in life, you won''t please all the people all the time, and with our club it''s, you won''t please many of the fans any of the time lol.[:)]

hollahan is still possible dont get me wrong

but i would think hollahan would take 1st team spot over gow

and i cant see gow signing without any assurance that he be starting - basically he wont be sitting on norwich''s bench

but maybe they can play left wing right wing together as pair wingers?

Given the amount of players we need for our squad its not reasonable to expect every signing to cost £3 million!  I wonder if some people are living in the real world...

I accept there are doubts about ''where the money has all gone'' but even the most fervent anti-board crew cannot expect Doncaster to have squirrelled away enough cash for 8 or 9 multi million pound signings.

Also, which other Championship sides have made a huge headway in the transfer market so far this summer?  Even QPR who are loaded have done nothing...

Get real and give these new lads a chance.

I take your point Jas, but three of those players mentioned (Fotheringham, Chadwick, Hucks) were injured for reasonably long periods of time, and another kept getting himself sent off and suspended. During this time, we did NOT have adequate cover for each position.The fact we would, but IF (and I know it''s a big if) the players we''ve got in make the required grade, gives us a much stronger squad in my eyes. The Championship is a very long league, so you need the numbers. Plus you then build up competition for places which cannot be a bad thing.Of course, I would love us to spend 4/5 mil on the midfield and get in some big name players. Realistically, I think that''s our entire transfer budget, so when you add in strikers with generally over-inflated transfer fees, and a couple of defenders, I don''t see how we could really do better for the money.Simply put, I would rather we make these sort of shrewd "lesser-known" signings which are adding to a thin squad, than blow a load of money on big name players who may well not make the grade anyway...

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Bring it on!.

I took this same crap from you people this time last year............and look what happened.

Some of you posters know sod all.......hell, until it appeared on this site this morning, you too had never heard of him either..........come November, you''ll be screaming for him to be dropped, but will you apologise to the likes of Smudger, TwoSheds and I?....... will you as hell as like!.[:|]

[/quote]

"some of you posters know sod all"??  As opposed to your good self Wiz, who, of course knows all.  I some how doubt that if Mr Gow (if signed) starts banging them in we will be getting any sort of apology either. No??? Didn''t think so.

no matter on how much each one of us think they know

everyone deserves a say

and everyone''s say should be equal

Speaking to people who have seen him play in Scotland. He is a STRIKER, who scored a fair few at Falkirk but has been wasting away in teh reserves at Rangers.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

always good to have another signing...

so thats a free and one for 250,000.... so just where is the money needed to sign the quality to get us out of this divisoin??? We dont have 3.5 million for Ameobi...

if Gow, Clingan and (possibly) Hoolahan cost any realy money they would not be norwich City players....

a Free Transfer, a Cast off who cant get a game for Rangers and is being sold on the cheap and a lucky buy out clause for such a low amount is a clear indication of the clubs finances...

im please Gow is signing but come on Board! cough up some serious cash or expect us to struggle again!

jas :)

[/quote]

Not wishing to sound like The Chief here in any way, shape or form but given Hoolahan''s cheap release clause and the fact Clingan was free then there would have been considerable demand for thier services and it would have come down to wages and signing on fees. Given that for Hoolahan most of the clubs in the division have been interested if he joins us i can only conclude that we have offered him very attractive terms. He is therefore not likely to be coming cheap. Same for Clingan who QPR were supposedly interested in.

If, therefore, hoolahan signs i view it as a positive sign that we are offering competitive wages in the transfer market.

[quote user="NCFC_Thain"]Speaking to people who have seen him play in Scotland. He is a STRIKER, who scored a fair few at Falkirk but has been wasting away in teh reserves at Rangers.[/quote]Talking to some other people he can also play behind the striker. "Another great talent wasted by the Old Firm" seems to come up alot.You have to understand in scottish football is that the Old Firm buy loads of players and many of them only ever play a handful of games. Being scottish myself I have lots of family up there so keep in touch with teh scottish leagues and have seen him play on the tele a couple of times and he has looked good.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

always good to have another signing...

so thats a free and one for 250,000.... so just where is the money needed to sign the quality to get us out of this divisoin??? We dont have 3.5 million for Ameobi...

if Gow, Clingan and (possibly) Hoolahan cost any realy money they would not be norwich City players....

a Free Transfer, a Cast off who cant get a game for Rangers and is being sold on the cheap and a lucky buy out clause for such a low amount is a clear indication of the clubs finances...

im please Gow is signing but come on Board! cough up some serious cash or expect us to struggle again!

[/quote]

Not wishing to sound like The Chief here in any way, shape or form but given Hoolahan''s cheap release clause and the fact Clingan was free then there would have been considerable demand for thier services and it would have come down to wages and signing on fees. Given that for Hoolahan most of the clubs in the division have been interested if he joins us i can only conclude that we have offered him very attractive terms. He is therefore not likely to be coming cheap. Same for Clingan who QPR were supposedly interested in.

If, therefore, hoolahan signs i view it as a positive sign that we are offering competitive wages in the transfer market.

[/quote]

which is all well and good if a player is free or we meet his clause amount.. but most chairmen will laugh and put the phone down on us if we cant offer what they want for a player.... We could offer as much a week as we wanted in wages if we cant our bid accepted its all for nought isnt it?

[quote user="JC"]Regular as clockwork!

Something positive happens and crawling out of the woodwork come the horsemen of the apocalypse two sheds, smudger and wizzard.  All we need is for the man who believes wrestling is interesting to appear and the foursome will be complete.

[quote user="Smudger"]ooooh I''mm so excited... another sweaty sock!!! [:$][/quote][/quote]

Sorry, Ricky cant make it at the moment as he is at pontins rolling around in a ring dressed as a girl hugging other men.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

Would sooner we signed Thomas Buffel from Rangers.

www.thomasbuffel.com/

I might send him an email and ask if he thinks he is better than Gow and if there is any possibility of him moving to Nowich??

[/quote]

Now that is something I agree with, Buffel would be an excellent, and ambitious signing.

I''m in the probably unique position of having seen Gow play last season as I am a Rangers fan and season ticket holder as well as following my beloved Canaries (not going into the reasons why at the moment because it''s irrelevant).

Gow has been very unfortunate not to play more because in Scotland we have a rule whereby every club has to list at least two Scottish under 21 players as substitutes for first team matches, to try to encourage youth development. A good idea when it was initiated a few years ago but most clubs have indulged in youth development in the last few years anyway (hence our recent excellent international results) so it''s less important now and now limits the number of ''overage'' players that can be listed as subs. Gow falls into this category therefore was rarely listed.

Having watched him regularly on reserve matches on Rangers TV (and having been at the East Stirling cup match), I can confirm that he is highly thought of by the fans at Ibrox who were regularly calling for him to get a chance last season but Walter Smith opted not to pick him and instead stuck with a successful, winning side (which in fairness is difficult to criticise). He has a very good touch and created a lot of goals for the reserves. It would surely be flippant of us to immediately pooh-pooh him just because he didn''t get a regular game with the UEFA Cup finalists?!

£250k is an excellent price for someone who was on the fringes of the Scotland team a year ago and who has something to prove... in my opinion of course. People like Wiz and Smudger infuriate me sometimes with their disrespectful, ignorant posts before knowing anything about the player in question. Rather than moaning about the relatively small transfer fee, why not congratulate the board and GR for once on seeking out and potentially signing a good player for a good price?

That''s good enough for me Canaryjock.  It sounds like you''re a suitably qualified person to pass judgement on a player I don''t really know a lot about.  Sounds like a good player.  How do you think he''ll adapt to the championship?

Good point about the improvement in Scottish football and in particular youth development.  Sounds like a good market to tap into if we can find the right talent.

The readiness of a good supply of Irn-Bru may also be an issue, though presumably the club put measures in place through Gunn and Grant to sort this out when we recruited the last wave of Scottish players.

Cheers for the info canaryjock, at least someone is giving the lad a chance. Sounds like he could be a good prospect, not really given the chance to show what he could do at Rangers - so will have a definite point to prove if/when he joins us.

Let''s hope he turns out to be a winner. Some people on this board seem to expect a million pound player every day. With the number of players we need that just isn''t going to happen. Of course if ALL we get is freebies & cheepies..............

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]I think its fair to say we def have no money...........as well as no ambition. The nightmare I envisaged is coming true.[/quote]

Correct, I can''t believe i was sucked in once again thinking we were actually going to give it a go. Never have so many loyal fans been treated so badly. The thing that scares me to death about other posters on here is that they still can''t see it. You are like lambs to the slaughter. If you think we are showing ambition to get out of this league judging by our transfer activity so far then perhaps you all believe in the tooth fairy and Sant Claus? There had really better me some good news coming in central defence and up front or it is going to be a long and dissapointing season.

[quote user="Macca"]

If I was him I''d head back to Rangers.. let''s be realistic & sign Kaka, he seems like he can play a bit........

None of you know anything about Gow & he''s slagged off before he''s even looked at a ball..

There are some real deluded, small minded idiots on this site.

[/quote]

look in the mirror and you''ll see one

[quote user="sig"]

That''s good enough for me Canaryjock.  It sounds like you''re a suitably qualified person to pass judgement on a player I don''t really know a lot about.  Sounds like a good player.  How do you think he''ll adapt to the championship?

Good point about the improvement in Scottish football and in particular youth development.  Sounds like a good market to tap into if we can find the right talent.

[/quote]

I think he''ll do well to be honest. The SPL is played at a similar pace and of a similar quality (outwith the old firm) to the Championship and he shone at Falkirk so there''s no reason to think he won''t shine with us. Admittedly the last year or so he''s been playing reserves which is generally played at a snail''s pace and without any great urgency or heavy tackles but with a full pre-season behind him there''s no reason why he can''t do really well for us.

It seems like GR is at least trying to bring in competition for places here which we haven''t necessarily had for a couple of seasons which can surely only be a benefit. It''s about time some of these guys in a comfort zone got a kick up the backside anyway!

[quote user="Caaanary"]Some people on here are an absolute disgrace and quite frankly I''m embarrassed to say that I''m a fellow Norwich fan together with you lot sometimes. I doubt very much that the vast majority of you lot have seen Gow play (as I haven''t) so it''s wholly inappropriate of you to comment on how good he is etc. I''m not saying he''s going to be good, but I''m sure as hell not going to write him off before a ball has been kicked in angst - remain neutral at the very least! Christ we''re getting to be like Wolves fans now, slagging signings off and thinking we''re better than we are.[/quote]

Some people on here are an absolute disgrace and quite frankly I''m embarrassed to say that I''m a fellow Norwich fan together with you lot sometimes. In that you are prepared to accept the usual "we haven''t got any money, we need to be prudent" absolute crap and bull**** that we are fed year after year. Another fact, we badly need two quality central defenders and two quality strikers if we are to get out of this league. Wake up - £250k each WILL NOT get them for us. I want to be proud watching my team play, not embarrassed as we struggle at home to the likes of Blackpool and Barnsley. I know we are better than that,sadly too many of you don''t