Sign in to follow this  
roland rat

Alan Gow to join from Rangers

Some people on here are an absolute disgrace and quite frankly I''m embarrassed to say that I''m a fellow Norwich fan together with you lot sometimes. I doubt very much that the vast majority of you lot have seen Gow play (as I haven''t) so it''s wholly inappropriate of you to comment on how good he is etc. I''m not saying he''s going to be good, but I''m sure as hell not going to write him off before a ball has been kicked in angst - remain neutral at the very least! Christ we''re getting to be like Wolves fans now, slagging signings off and thinking we''re better than we are.

[quote user="Yella_Forever"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

Bring it on!.

I took this same crap from you people this time last year............and look what happened.

Some of you posters know sod all.......hell, until it appeared on this site this morning, you too had never heard of him either..........come November, you''ll be screaming for him to be dropped, but will you apologise to the likes of Smudger, TwoSheds and I?....... will you as hell as like!.[:|]

[/quote]

i would love this and many of the other "prats" on here to be proved wrong....

were a championship club, who would you sign then wizard???? who would your targets be????? lets hear them!!!

[/quote]Come on Wiz! Rise to the challenge and prove it''s not just knee jerk negativity - who would you realistically welcome?

In roughly half of the info on him he is described as a Forward, I just hope we are not signing him as our new striker!

[quote user="TwoSheds"][quote user="Malky Malk"]

A friend of mine works for a car dealer in the city who sponsor Gunnys car, Gunny was supposed to be making an appearance on their stand at the Norfolk Show today but said he could not make it as he has a Player coming down for talks..... Could this be Alan Gow ref the other thread??

MM

[/quote]

Oh geeeeeez another scottish footballer! Didint we learn anything from Grants jock flops?

[/quote]You mean like David Marshall, Mark Fotheringham and for many of us Simon Lappin????

Grow up.

[quote user="Yella_Forever"]we sign noone, you 3 moan.. we sign players you moan.... so then take it hollahan is a crap signing too??? hay??[/quote]

If you bothered to keep up to speed and learnt to read properly, you would have realised that I''ve been wanting City to sign Wes for bloody weeks now!.[:|]

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="Yella_Forever"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

Bring it on!.

I took this same crap from you people this time last year............and look what happened.

Some of you posters know sod all.......hell, until it appeared on this site this morning, you too had never heard of him either..........come November, you''ll be screaming for him to be dropped, but will you apologise to the likes of Smudger, TwoSheds and I?....... will you as hell as like!.[:|]

[/quote]

i would love this and many of the other "prats" on here to be proved wrong....

were a championship club, who would you sign then wizard???? who would your targets be????? lets hear them!!!

[/quote]

Come on Wiz! Rise to the challenge and prove it''s not just knee jerk negativity - who would you realistically welcome?
[/quote]

Would be very surprised if you got something as specific as that from Wiz!!  It does annoy me how people can be written off (a) just cos he is going to cost about £300k, apparently we must pay more than that (!), and (b) without any knowledge of how good he actually is. Cant we just give him a chance if he does sign.

[quote user="sig"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="National express super guard"]

... his agent Phil McTaggart.....  and what a great name for his agent, very scottish
[/quote]
Would be better if his first name was Jock... [:P]

This is another one that''s come out of nowhere really, get the feeling Roeder saw the price, saw the problems with the Burnley move and decided to pounce... you can never have too many midfielders, which leads me to wonder....... what formation is Glenn going to go for next season? 4-5-1/4-3-3 anyone?? Just a thought...
[/quote]

1-8-1

[/quote]

Probably be the "6 Pack" formation from the BK ad''s!

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Yella_Forever"]we sign noone, you 3 moan.. we sign players you moan.... so then take it hollahan is a crap signing too??? hay??[/quote]

If you bothered to keep up to speed and learnt to read properly, you would have realised that I''ve been wanting City to sign Wes for bloody weeks now!.[:|]

[/quote]

Does that mean if and when the Wes signing if officially announced we will actually get a positive post from you Wiz?  [:O]

[quote user="Dions Lightsaber"]

Give the guy a chance I reckon.  I always look back to the Stringer days of buying relative unknowns and developing them as being what this club is all about.

I was abount 8 when we signed him but I imagine few people thought Crooky would set the world alight when we signed him from Spurs in the mid 80s?

[/quote]

Excellent point DLS - and it wasnt just Crooky we picked up at that time from other teams reserves and lower leagues.  How about the likes of Polston, Bowen, Phelan, Watson, Culverhouse, Drinkell etc?  Under the "rules" applied by some posters on this thread these guys would have been failures and donkeys, yet they turned out to have a bit about them.

Fact is virtually none of us have seen Gow play so in the absence of real knowledge, nobody is qualified to make a comment either way until he has had a few games for us (and even then Smudger will have problems in making an informed opinion of course).

[quote user="Salahuddin"]Many thanks for that very tongue in cheek reply[/quote]

Sorry, I understand what you''re saying.  Sometimes he''s quoted as a midfielder, sometimes as a striker.  The forums would seem to suggest he''s a midfielder who can play as a striker if necessary- this would fit Roeder''s desire to get players who can play in more than one position.

I must admit I recognised the name, but know nothing about the man and his favoured position.

all honest gow is half decent, wolves went in for him the other year and i would liked to seen him come. i think for price you getting its good deal. but as i said he similar player to hoolahan in what i''ve seen of the pair ( only odd games here n there i must say) so not sure you get him as well now

According to Football Manager, he is best as an Attacking Midfielder (Left), then a Left Midfielder, and then a Fast Striker. There''s not a great deal in it though, so that is cast-iron proof he''s a flexible attacking left-sided player [:P].

I.Shurmer - thats where i have seen him play on left wing and free role behind loan striker bit like henry did in early arsenal days

some people earlier in thread were saying "what we need 6ft centre midfielder" im pretty sure he is not that sort of player you was expecting as think he more pacey and jinky on the left

always good to have another signing...

so thats a free and one for 250,000.... so just where is the money needed to sign the quality to get us out of this divisoin??? We dont have 3.5 million for Ameobi...

if Gow, Clingan and (possibly) Hoolahan cost any realy money they would not be norwich City players....

a Free Transfer, a Cast off who cant get a game for Rangers and is being sold on the cheap and a lucky buy out clause for such a low amount is a clear indication of the clubs finances...

im please Gow is signing but come on Board! cough up some serious cash or expect us to struggle again!

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

so thats a free and one for 250,000.... so just where is the money needed to sign the quality to get us out of this divisoin??? We dont have 3.5 million for Ameobi...

if Gow, Clingan and (possibly) Hoolahan cost any realy money they would not be norwich City players....

a Free Transfer, a Cast off who cant get a game for Rangers and is being sold on the cheap and a lucky buy out clause for such a low amount is a clear indication of the clubs finances...

im please Gow is signing but come on Board! cough up some serious cash or expect us to struggle again!

[/quote]

Thats the way it seems Jas, and sums up my view as well. Although the three of them look like good players (And two havent signed yet), if we did have all three then our squad is still paper thin, and does not have the quality to get out of the league. Can only hope we have some large signings in the pipeline.

I take your point about Hoolahan looking less likely WE8, but we need at least 2 players to cover each position. As Gow is also able to play up front, and on the left of midfield, it makes sense to get him and Hoolahan both in to provide a little bit more flexibility in the squad.Assuming both sign, midfield would look pretty solid:(A) LM: Hoolahan, GowCM: Russell, Fotheringham, Pattison, Clingan, Spillane (?)(A) RM: Croft, ChadwickI think lack of creativity in midfield was a real problem for us last season, so I would be very happy to see this as our midfield going into the new season. Then we just need to address our strike force and defence (oh dear)...Having said all that, of course, Hoolahan may well be complete paper talk...

[quote user="JC"]Regular as clockwork!

Something positive happens and crawling out of the woodwork come the horsemen of the apocalypse two sheds, smudger and wizzard.  All we need is for the man who believes wrestling is interesting to appear and the foursome will be complete.

[quote user="Smudger"]ooooh I''mm so excited... another sweaty sock!!! [:$][/quote][/quote]

LMAO [:D]

[quote user="I. Shurmer"]I take your point about Hoolahan looking less likely WE8, but we need at least 2 players to cover each position. As Gow is also able to play up front, and on the left of midfield, it makes sense to get him and Hoolahan both in to provide a little bit more flexibility in the squad.

Assuming both sign, midfield would look pretty solid:

(A) LM: Hoolahan, Gow
CM: Russell, Fotheringham, Pattison, Clingan, Spillane (?)
(A) RM: Croft, Chadwick

I think lack of creativity in midfield was a real problem for us last season, so I would be very happy to see this as our midfield going into the new season. Then we just need to address our strike force and defence (oh dear)...

Having said all that, of course, Hoolahan may well be complete paper talk...

[/quote]

a lack of creativity in midfield that contains most of the players you mentioned above plus Darren Huckerby! we just wont be any better off with the same players... it needs more money and more change!

Does it really matter how much a player costs, as long as they do the

business on the pitch? To some on here, there''s no difference in

signing a player for £250k or for £3.5 million - they''re still going to

be sh*t!

I know very little of Alan Gow, other than his name, so I''m not going

to say "he''s sh*t" unless he appears on the pitch and proceeds to run

around in a circle with his head down before falling over (as with

Hughes).  I''ll keep an open mind and see how he performs.

Obviously some signings are going to be more exciting than others -

Ameobi certainly got the blood pumping for some cos he''s a big name and

apparently worth a lot of money.  To others he''s a waste of money

and a no-mark Prem reserve.

In the Prem season we got Safri for £500k who promptly became a fans''

favourite.  We spent £750k on Jonsson, who promptly did very

little.  We spent £3.5 mill on Dean Ashton and then sold him a

year later.

Just a few examples of how money doesn''t make every world go round, especially when it comes to football fans...

How do you know we dont have the money for Ameobi or indeed anyone else for that matter?[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]