Sign in to follow this  
The Chirp

Good ol' Delia...

I have to say, i really think we are very lucky as a club to have such a person to represent us... Indeed she made a hiccup (pun intended...) ''with lets be having you-gate'' ... but come on it was funny and without that..all those people who now live on letsbe avenue near the ground would have nowhere to live!

But when you look at her devotion, the money she has put in... her cheery front in interviews it strikes me we really could have so so much worse... I just watched her interview online on the edp website and it''s clear we have investment  coming... almost obvious... She is the Darling of carrow Road, the Jewel in our family/community focused club... She stands for and represents much of what is good about our club.

Many of us mock her, slag her off and make crude remarks... i really think we underestimate what she has done, even taking into account saving our club a few years back...

We owe delia nothing, but as fans i firmly believe we should hold our ''head chef'' in unparelled high regard.

Good on you Delia!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Brace yourself, mate... [;)]
[/quote]

You beat me to it!!!

Stand by for the usual suspects

Are you on mind bending drugs mate?

Smith''s been holding us back for years and imo, blocking desperately needed investment.

I could weep when ''blinded'' idiots like you back her up!.[:''(]

It is time for her to step down. I don''t mean that in a nasty way but I feel that she has taken the club as far as she can and without wholesale changes at the top we cannot really get to where we want to be.

I was impressed with her Norfolk Show interview, she came across as very genuine and a real fan, despite what some may say, I do believe that she has the clubs best interests at heart. Sadly though I do not agree with her prudance before ambition stance, I am more a speculate to accumulate kind of guy.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Are you on mind bending drugs mate?

Smith''s been holding us back for years and imo, blocking desperately needed investment.

I could weep when ''blinded'' idiots like you back her up!.[:''(]

[/quote]

Right on cue

[quote user="Jameswallis"]

I have to say, i really think we are very lucky as a club to have such a person to represent us... Indeed she made a hiccup (pun intended...) ''with lets be having you-gate'' ... but come on it was funny and without that..all those people who now live on letsbe avenue near the ground would have nowhere to live!

But when you look at her devotion, the money she has put in... her cheery front in interviews it strikes me we really could have so so much worse... I just watched her interview online on the edp website and it''s clear we have investment  coming... almost obvious... She is the Darling of carrow Road, the Jewel in our family/community focused club... She stands for and represents much of what is good about our club.

Many of us mock her, slag her off and make crude remarks... i really think we underestimate what she has done, even taking into account saving our club a few years back...

We owe delia nothing, but as fans i firmly believe we should hold our ''head chef'' in unparelled high regard.

Good on you Delia!

[/quote]

This is a joke right?

Nice one, Delia. Well written.

Some of us don''t buy into the constant spin. There are plenty of mongs on here who do though.

Looks like a lady under some severe pressure to me.

Delia has taken the club backwards. The sooner her rein ends, the better for everyone, including her.

yeah - bring back Robert Chase...

Very short memories - who has saved this club, raised our profile, put their own money in, set up and brought income into the club.

You spineless swines

Hmmm... idiot? I would say i am quite far away from that tag but this is an opinion board so fair enough! (although you are wrong... :) ..)

No the mail wasn''t a joke at all...

All i will say is... Look at Southampton, Sheff Weds, Coventry etc... We COULD have gone that way but didn''t...

IF we have an investor now behind closed doors then seriously guys you must see that keeping the ship steady has been worth while...

Being a fan is extremely frustrating and i have been frustrated as much as the next fan but... you need to live in the real world where money doesn''t grow on trees... Our board have made some serious wrong turns but name me some boards that honestly haven''t....sure there are a few but not many. Rough with the smooth...  

If you re read what i''ve said... i have said i think she is a good public figure, stands for a lot of what is good of our club, good of Norfolk as a whole... (not hole!) - Playing this down is taking a lot for granted.

End of the day... Chelsea if you ask me have a short term fix.... as do Ipswich... I don''t want to support a club like that...

I''d rather pick Delia and waiting for a strong long term investor any day of the week... And i think that day is approaching faster than we think... It may have already happened.

Shall i kill myslef now and save you all the bother?? I can see tower bridge from my office window... let me know..!

[quote user="mozzer"]

Very short memories - who has saved this club, raised our profile, put their own money in, set up and brought income into the club.

You spineless swines

[/quote]

Saved the club - no not really. Others were also interested at the time.

Raised our profile - no not really. Unless you mean embarrassing us nationally?

Brought income in the club - What did you expect her do do exactly? And where are we now? Good investments were they, hmmm?

You brainless head-in-sand monger.

I have nothing against Delia on a personal level, she seems like a nice lady, but as a senior figure on the board of NCFC she is way out of her depth in my opinion, and I would like to see big changes to the board. While this "regime" holds the purse strings the club is going nowhere - apart from steadily downhill.

don''t get me wrong, I am thankful for the board and the investment to help the club previously, in answer to your question who saved the club? geoffrey watling, more people should realise this, it was 2nd time he saved the club.anyway, living on past glories is not what the club needs, the current board should realise that in the same way they invested, its now time for someone else to come in and do what they did.I respect delia et al, but the times they are a changing

I love the idea some people have that she is fighting off potential investors with a big stick outside Carrow Road. The truth is delia is not that rich in comparison to many other owners of football teams and a new investor is needed, but where do you guys get the idea she has been blcoking investment?

[quote user="mozzer"]

Very short memories - who has saved this club,

[/quote]

Lets nail that old bloody myth now mozzer, Mr Watling intially saved this club...........not her!.

[quote user="archer4721"][quote user="mozzer"]

You spineless swines

[/quote]

Brought income in the club - What did you expect her do do exactly? And where are we now? Good investments were they, hmmm?

[/quote]

Must have taken you ages to come up with that one.

Poster added to the " Can`t have a sensible debate so throw insults " pile[:D]

archer4721 wrote the following post at 26/06/2008 10:41 AM:

mozzer wrote:

You spineless swines

- oh - perhaps you haven''t ever read the club''s accounts as you see the investment that both Delia and Michael have put into this club - constantly writting off the interest. Raising the profile? - absolutely which in turn has brought other investors on board and increased the contacts the club has.

Brainless monger .... insulting to use an offensive expression alluding to someone with Down Syndrome (ie being Mongoloid) I won''t sink that low.

National express... i''m cool with what you''re saying... totally agree... The club needs to move forward...but i think it can move forward with Delia still in the position she is in... Whoever has invested or..sorry... ''might'' be investing might want to be a sleeping partner as it were (no not that way...tisch...) as in doesn''t want the bother but wants to see his club he supports (i think you know whom it is i refer to...) do a lot better... IF this is the case... FANTASTIC.

I don''t feel ashamed of Delia at all... If you take things too seriously then sure ''lets be avin'' ya'' will bother you but it actually raised the profile of our club believe it or not... My Uncle who is the exec editor of NOTW firmly believes it''s done Norwich good... Spirit isn''t a bad thing... even when tipsy and mis-judged!

[quote user="mozzer"]

archer4721 wrote the following post at 26/06/2008 10:41 AM:

mozzer wrote:

You spineless swines

- oh - perhaps you haven''t ever read the club''s accounts as you see the investment that both Delia and Michael have put into this club - constantly writting off the interest. Raising the profile? - absolutely which in turn has brought other investors on board and increased the contacts the club has.

Brainless monger .... insulting to use an offensive expression alluding to someone with Down Syndrome (ie being Mongoloid) I won''t sink that low.

[/quote]

have to agree.... mock people if that''s your thing but try to not use terms like mong.. it''s a bit tasteless... people use these terms often not thinking what it means... douchebag is better... :)

Couldn''t agree more.

Sure, she has made mistakes, but what board hasn''t in football? The number of Liverpool and Manchester Utd fans who wish their owners had the same sort of passion and commitment to their club would far out-number those short-minded people here who want her out.

I truely believe the vast majority of people can see what Delia and Michael have done. Why, when they don''t need hassle, do they contain to use their own money (which they will need see back) I don''t know - but thankfully they do.

You''re right ''Voice of the Thorpe Area'' the passion they have from being true fans gives you the reassurace that they will always have the club''s best interests at heart.

I''m new to this forum and hope that as Norwich supporters people can post their views openly here without insults being traded just because maybe we disagree with others opinions.....

Bring on the season!

Whatever your thoughts of Delia now, I think it''s rather revisionist to imply that that she wasn''t universally welcomed when she took over after Chase. We''d been clamouring for it for years and thought it would be the answer to our prayers when she came. Not that football fans ever have unrealistic expectations of course...

[quote user="mozzer"]

You spineless swines

[/quote]

Mozzer.. dont let the insults put you off the board!

With reference to your first point.. it is a common myth that delia smith saved our club... it was Geoffrey Watling, who raised the finance and bought out Robert chase thus securing the future of the football club...

Delia and her board simply purchased the shares off watling.. it could easily have been Harry Serrius, or former Livorno owner Aldo Spinelli.... who took the club from Serie C2 to 4th place in Serie A and a win in the Italian cup, as well as getting to the UEFA cup before selling up last year...

I wish he had purchased us instead of Delia... we wouldnt be financially worse off and on the verge of league 1 would we?

jas :)

Nobody seems to have a balanced opinion on this! Without getting into the whys and wherefores of who saved the club, it''s unfair to say that Delia and her board have been an entirely negative thing for this football club. The board under Delia and Michael has turned us from a club in severe financial danger with average gates in the mid-teens (even in the Premiership), to a club that virtually guarantees 25,000 each home match. That doesn''t happen by accident. As far as I''m concerned, the board made serious errors in:a) Not backing us sufficiently in the transfer market after we won the title;b) Holding on to Nigel too long when he had clearly lost the drive to take us forward;c) Appointing the hapless Peter Grant as a cheap option.With the gulf between the Premiership and the rest ever-widening, the first failure now appears to be the most frustrating - a quality centre-half and centre-forward in summer 2004 could have made the difference. I really don''t think the current board can take us any further without significant investment, but for all we criticise them for focusing too much on off-field activities, we undoubtedly have Premiership attendances and facilities, and with a significant financial injection we would be well-placed to improve the playing squad sufficiently to make a return to the top flight.Now let''s see whether this post manages to alienate people at both ends of the dichotomy...! [;)]

[quote user="Coelho"] The board under Delia and Michael has turned us from a club in severe financial danger with average gates in the mid-teens (even in the Premiership), to a club that virtually guarantees 25,000 each home match.

[/quote]So the board are struggling to balance the books on a 100% turnout each week, a feat we pretty well managed for many years on a 60% turnout previously. If we need to sell out each week just to stand still then where is the investment going to come from to take us forwards? Can''t be from ticket sales, we''re maxed out there.

[quote user="Worst Wizard"][quote user="Coelho"] The board under Delia and Michael has turned us from a club in severe financial danger with average gates in the mid-teens (even in the Premiership), to a club that virtually guarantees 25,000 each home match.

[/quote]So the board are struggling to balance the books on a 100% turnout each week, a feat we pretty well managed for many years on a 60% turnout previously. If we need to sell out each week just to stand still then where is the investment going to come from to take us forwards? Can''t be from ticket sales, we''re maxed out there.[/quote]That''s primarily due to the loss of Premiership TV money and consequent parachute payments, which stretched into many millions of pounds. Like I say, they''re paying the price for failing to back us sufficiently when we were promoted. I still think that they deserve a level of thanks for putting in place the infrastructure that we now enjoy - training facilities, the new Jarrold Stand, and particularly almost doubling our base of season-ticket holders. Trouble is, though, if the results don''t come on the pitch, you''re going to get stick, and even the most optimistic of fans can''t describe our performances in the last three years as acceptable.

Hahaha, this thread is brilliant.

Personally i don''t have anything against Delia, i have seen nothing to suggest shes doesnt want Norwich to succeeded and i think many people in her shoes wouldn''t of grabbed a mic on matchday and come out with the lets be havin you stuff. most don''t have the guts.As for the running of the club... she has an idiot in Doncaster, but aside from him i''ve seen nothing to suggest the manager hasn''t been backed and that we haven''t tried for success. Yes Worthington was given to long, Grant eventually became a joke (the image of him sitting on a fence in front of the dug out at QPR with tear stained eyes and his flipping note book looking thoroughly bewildered is comparable to the wally with the brolly) but with Roeder, thus far they have been spot on.

Still, Dizzy, Arthur and co need something to moan about so ya know.