Sign in to follow this  
BigGreenStoppingMachine

When was your first ever match?

Early 70''s I think against Man utd, [I think we lost 2-0 or 2-1?]  lots of hostile man u fans around before and after the game, it was years later I realised most of them were from Grt Yarmouth.

10th April 1971. Norwich 3 QPR 0. I sat in the City stand with my Dad. I was nearly 7. Stan Bowles or Gerry Francis got booked.

Forgot to mention, went to a reserve game, Summer time, around 1970, ran up the open stand at half time to buy an ice cream and ran into an iron crash bar and broke my nose, still ate my ice cream, which my Dad bought later but threw it all  up outside the old Barclay stadium, my Dad was dead keen to watch the second half despite me bleeding to death over a half eaten ice cream, so watched most of the second half in a pool of blood roughly where they built that crap hotel.

My first ever game was Nagoya Grampus Eight vs some other team. Nagoya were managed by Wenger and Linekar was there, although not playing (of course).

Norwich 3 - 0 Blackburn Rovers. I think David Williams (now there''s an under-rated player) scored from the spot. I was nine. I sat in the upper tier of the River End and the evening before the game I spent hours making a banner. In the excitement of the game, I didn''t wave it so much as once... I''ve been going ever since...

Not that anyone cares cos no1 likes me.....my first game was either 78 or 79 Boxing Day against the Scum, 3-3 draw and sat in front row of south stand right on halfway! I was either 5 or 6 at the time!

After that went to every home game as Dad was a coach driver and in those days he got a FREE ENTRY pass, and he used to pay an old boy(Wiz or arrdee probably) a quid to let me in, and we''d always be in the barclay, and dad always sat me on the fence at the front!

I was only 5 or 6, cant remember against who, but a guy called Laurie Sheffield scored a hat-trick. From then I was hooked...

1995 - I''m a coach and manager and at the time I was managing an U13 team whom my lad was keeper for. He got scouted by Norwich City and we recieved the invitational letter for a trial. He was seleted through the trials and spent a cpl of years progressing very well until other matters got in his way and he quit footie alltogether. However in this time we spent many months getting to know the club, its staff, its history and gradually we both turned from supporting Arsenal into hardened City supporters which we both remain today even though several evenings a week I''ll be found coaching  rival FITC players. So yea, 13 years now as a supporter and i can''t remember many more harder times then we are in right now...some, but not many.

1981 v''s Derby.  I was on crutches after 3 months in hospital so my old man took me.  We were stood in the Barclay and Mark Barham scored a corker, top corner, after 48 seconds (if I remember correctly). My dad absolutely sh*t himself as he''d never been to a football match before and wasn''t expecting the crowd surge, he panicked, picked me up and dived for the aisle.  Of course I didn''t care and the stewards thought it was hilarious especially as it happened 4 times as we won 4-1!!

1972, when I was 5 years old.  Stood on a proper milk crate in the River End and got knocked over and cried when the crowd surged forward when we scored.  Total wuss, I know.

April 1994, a 5-4 home defeat against Southampton. What a game! But we lost after being 3-1 up. Perhaps I should have taken that as a warning. The following season we got relegated, ho hum.

At home to Watford, April 1984 - we won 6-1 and Deehan got 4.

At the tender age of 9, I thought, this is it, this the club for me......

my first match was at St Andrews in 1964, I stood in the Tilton road end with brothers, all of them Birmingham fans, can''t remember if it was a cup or friendly match but My thoughts were Norwich were the team for me as they wolloped the blues 3-0

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]October 1957........[/quote]

I beat you by about two weeks Wiz !

City 0-2 Southend Sept 4th 1957, Southend''s wingers ran rings around us so we later bought them both.

They were of course Errol Crossan and Bill Punton.

[/quote]

I was a Southend supporter then, Jim. So i would have probably been pleased at that time. We moved to Yarmouth in 1962, and i''ve supported City ever since. I always smile when i remember Billy Punton, every time he kicked the ball, he''d fall over. Good player for us though.

It was a Swan Vestas I think, although, it may have been a Bryant and May? I was 6 year old and I came across my Grandad''s pipe on the mantle piece.....and I made an unsuccessful attempt to light it.....I was caught, and received a cuff from my Grandma for ''arson'' about.....

November 1973 1-3 home defeat to Everton....cushions on the pitch , Saunders takes off a striker and brings on a defender when we''re losing, then resigns immediately after the game. 2 classic own goals and we''re bottom of the league. Bit like October 2007 really (without the cushions) though we were 1 division higher back then .

Norwich 0 - 0 Bury at either the end of the 97/98 season, or the start of the 98/99 season; can''t remember which.Forbes won us a penalty in the last minute, but Bellamy had it saved by Dean Kiely.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]It was a Swan Vestas I think, although, it may have been a Bryant and May? I was 6 year old and I came across my Grandad''s pipe on the mantle piece.....and I made an unsuccessful attempt to light it.....I was caught, and received a cuff from my Grandma for ''arson'' about.....[/quote]

Well made me laugh anyway[:D]

Excellent thread. Charlton (H).1971/72 3.0 Silvester 2, Foggo

I was amazed at how green the grass was & expected someone to commentate like on tv.

River End near the South Stand, behind the invalid cars.