Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Glory Years - Your memories

We plan to run a feature on two particular season from Norwich City''s past - 1958/59 and 1992/93.

One of the pages in this feature will contain your memories from those seasons and we''d be most grateful if you could post your messages of what you remember from either the ''59 Cup run or the 92/93 third-place finish.

Many thanks!

One of my favourite memories from the 92/93 season was John Polston scoring in a 1-0 victory over Villa at Carrow Road, It was between us, Villa and United at the time. Sadly, this pretty much put Manchester United on course to win the title. I believe Polston''s son was born the same day too. Also a trademark Gossy volley against Leeds, I think we won 4-0 or 4-1.

[quote user="Fuglestad"]One of my favourite memories from the 92/93 season was John Polston scoring in a 1-0 victory over Villa at Carrow Road, It was between us, Villa and United at the time. Sadly, this pretty much put Manchester United on course to win the title. I believe Polston''s son was born the same day too. Also a trademark Gossy volley against Leeds, I think we won 4-0 or 4-1.
[/quote]

I remember the Villa game, just before Polston scored one of their players rounded our keeper but then missed an open goal, shortly after that Polston scored and it was absolute mayhem, even in the River end, where I was at the time. I thought the Leeds game where we won 4 - 0 was the following year, however I do remember us coming back from 2 - 0 down to win 4 - 2 away at Arsenal early on in that season, courtesy of one Mark Robins and some comical Arsenal defending.

First game of the season in 92/93 was away at Arsenal and no-one gave us a chance.  Needless to say we were 2:0 down at half-time and it seemed a question not of whether we could get back into the game but of how many more Arsenal would score.  With 20 minutes to go Mike Walker brought-on Mark Robins on his debut and what happened after that was, frankly, astonishing.  We went on to score 4 goals in those remaining minutes with 2 of those from Robins and ended up winning 4:2.  As for the walk back to the car after the game, I shall always remember the cheery and friendly shouts of bonhomie from the locals, or perhaps I misunderstood what they were saying!

Other great memories from that season include flying up to Oldham for a midweek match to see us win and go top of the league and, bizarrely, going up to Blackburn to see us get absolutely thrashed 7:1.

Money was in a lot shorter supply in 1959 than it appears to be today. Thus when the great cup run was on my dad sent me down to Carrow Road to queue up for his tickets!But there was always the Pink ''Un to look forward to.Terry Bly was the free-scoring centre-forward for City (until he was moved on after liaising with the manager''s daughter it was rumoured. See, things like that also happened in those days!) and after the 3-0 defeat of Man Utd people began to point out how ''Wembly'' was spelt. Perhaps Terry Bly would get us to ''Wembly'' that year.Then the more brainy of us pointed out that ''Wembly'' was in fact spelt ''Wembley'' - and spirits sagged slightly.I remember the whole of the Hewett School listening to the semi-final replay against Luton in the main hall; tickets for one round being sold on the day of a Reserve game at Carrow Road. People were allowed into the ground after buying a Cup ticket but were not allowed out again to purchase another one!That day must have been the record attendance for a Reserve''s match; my memory tells me it was 20,000-plus. Boy, was there some moaning going on as people tried to force open the gates.I also remember my pocket money stretching to buying my own ticket for the Sheff Utd replay when Sandy Kennon made his debut in a 3-2 victory. I was at the River End and boy did Sandy look nervous!Great memories - and I am sure I have many more of those great days!

1958/59 cup run :-

I do remember one match where we tried to leave after half an hour and found we were locked in ! !

It was a reserve match, to be able to buy a ticket for the next round people had to pay and attend a Reserve game via the turnstiles.

The match was rubbish, we had aceived our main aim and most of  the  30,000 or so watching fans wanted to ''escape with their prized next round tickets and celebrate elsewhere but couldn''t until half time when the ground emptied like water down the plug hole !

92/93 - so many memories...I remember sitting in the clubhouse on the British Embassy in Islamabad listening to sports report on the BBC World Service, completely amazed at the scores that I was hearing week on week.   On the day of the match against Blackburn, the small City Fan Club rushed into the TV room to get onto the satellite tv for the world service coverage - only to find out that a family of missionaries had come down from the mountains and were working their way through The Waltons or something similar!     I have to say that we didn''t find it in the slightest bit awkward when we explained that we needed them to get off the TV so that we could turn on the football.   I mean these poor people hadn''t seen civilisation for months, 90 odd minutes wasn''t going to make too much difference...Trouble was, this was the day we played Blackburn away - and lost 7-1...Other best memory is of walking down the old Riverside with my dear departed Dad, high on the taste of victory over Wimbledon safe in the knowledge that we were 8 points clear at the top of the Premiership, my Dad was completely shocked, he was a supporter who had lived through it all - Div 3 South, "that cup run" etc....The look on his face that evening as we walked back to our car was priceless and will always stick in my memory...

I remember being at some friends in Essex for the 1st game of the 92/93 season.  One was an Everton fan and one a West Ham fan and i was getting the usual little ol'' Norwich jibes especially when we were 2-0 down.We then decided to watch MOTD without knowing any of the scores.  I was going mental as i watched the goals and robins lob to seal it was something else!!As the song went ''Two nil down, Four two up, Marky Robins super sub!!''

Been lucky enough to have seen both. Stood in the Barclay in the snow and watched 3rd division Norwich thrash the GREAT united team. Later informed that the Canaries had nails in the bottom of their boots to get a better grip!!.(This by someone who played in the game) City empty on match afternoons everyone huddled round a trany (those who could not get a ticket) Set you up for life as a supporter just wanting to get that feeling back. Europe standing in the Olympic stadium after the game listening to "on the ball city" echoing  round as the lights dimmed. Collecting various members of the Norwich staff from doorways and bars all well merry, but who cared. You need occassions like those just to recharge the "support" batteries and remind you why you carry on through the bad times.

No offence taken mate. The OLDER members of the board will remember transistor radios! The in way to listen to the home service.Wide screen public TV''s from startrek.

I think it was 92/93 vs Liverpool at home we won 3-0 and we totally passed them off the pitch as I remember being there. I think Woodthorpe actually got a goal in this match too- this was dream football .Where is Ian Crook now when you want him lol

I remember back to the opening game of the Prem season in ''92, there i was as a 12 yr old watching Grandstand in my bedroom with Norwich trailing 2-0 to Arsenal at Highbury when bang 2-1, optimism beginning to rise, GOAL!! 2-2, Steve Ryder is even shocked as he struggles to get to grips with the events unfolding, surely little old Norwich couldn''t win this, well we did win, a mighty 4-2, i was sitting there with tears in my eyes, this was the day i became a real supporter and a start of a truly great season and i''m sure it stopped me becoming just another glory hunter, supporting Man Utd or Liverpool.

1957 - the season City would eventually seek re-election to the Football League.Standing in the Barclay Stand almost  on my own - huge open spaces - and watching City lose another game. But what intrigued me most of the snowy second-half was the lump behind Ken Oxford''s (City goalkeeper) knee.It was a season of some unbelievable results (losses) but one result sticks in the mind. 4-2 down with 15 minutes to go, I believe against Shrewsbury, and going on to win 5-4.Soon after I gave up watching football for playing.

Yes, remember that 1-0 over Villa at Carra'' well-temporarily put us back on top of the table. Garry Parker missed the open goal, right in front of the Barclay, LOL, you bet we did!

We lost 7-0 at Blackburn earlier that season, it was the biggest defeat that a team leading the top league (Div 1/Premier) had ever had, we put it right the following season though, by winning 3-2 there, Sutton having a blinder and probably sealing his Ewood Park fate!

Always recall the last two games of the 92-93 season......a penalty gift from Liverpool when David James kicked a Norwich player after being challenged at a corner which gave us a 1-0 win and the tense last day at relegated Middlesborough when we got the point we needed for third place with a 3-3 draw, Andy Johnson got 2 I think. Even then we had to wait two weeks to find out if we were in Europe and it depended on the results of 2 cup finals which Arsenal had to win.....it was a real achievement in those days to get into Europe !

Fond memories of the 59 cup run with my late father. Also the league cup finals in the 70s against Villa and Spurs as it was my 1st time at wembley. The uefa cup run, managed to get to all the games, even though my mates car did break down in some moody looking town we stopped at in France. Stand out moment was when bruces header went in against Ipswich in the Semi final in 85, will never beat that feeling that night-but dont tell Doris I said that LOL!

I was doing a year in Oxford during Norwich''s UEFA Cup run in ''93.  I happened to be bartending at my college that year, and was on that night. I was wearing one of our kits behind the bar, and I was drinking quite a bit myself while it was going on.  I''ll never forget Gunny getting in Lothar''s face, and when we finally won, I got up on the bar and offered rounds on the house for the next 15 minutes.  The mad rush cost me about 300 quid, but it was worth it.  I remember about 70% of the night, but needless to say, people loved seeing a Yank wearing a Canaries kit on the streets of Oxford that night.  

I remember that kit!

Gorgeous!

Seriously, I remember Flecky leaving for Chelsea for near enough £2mil and feeling absolutely gutted for weeks. The arrival of Mark Robins as his replacement didn''t help, I felt sure we were going to be relegated as we went into the first game against Arsenal.

I was happy to be proved wrong, as I sang my little heart out in Munich that evening. I think I cried when the final whistle went - I was only 8, after all! [:$][:D]

It remains one of the very best Norwich City related memory I have - and I''ve kept that disgusting shirt to this day.

I was 12, I remember being on a school trip to France and going ballistic upon hearing the news that Arsenal had ''done the double'' meaning we''d secured European football....... Ah, the good ol days.............. Vitesse Arnhem, Bayern, Inter...........

Wembley ''85. Screaming at the top of my voice at Clive Walker to ''Miss it you Bas**rd''!!! as he ran up to the penalty!!!

Gossy''s leveller vs Bayern.

Being at Goodison as Efan bagged 4 in a 5-1 route, and all after Rideout had put the scousers ahead!

Darren Eadies goal vs Scum!!!!!

Andy Johnsons 2 goals vs Scum!!!!

Ian Culverhouses only league goal vs Everton

Vitesse pinging the ball around for the first 5 mins in the 1st leg, and thinking ''Oh My God''!!!!!!

My favorite memories, in no particular order!

Dean Coney scoring with his backside!

Goss''s goals against Bayern and Leeds!

Being in the Barclay when Steve Bruce scored in the dying minutes against the scum to put us in the Milk Cup final!

Justin Fashanu''s goal of the season against Liverpool.

Robert Fleck''s one two to score against Man Utd(cant remember the year, note to oneself...watch the highlights video!)

Everytime Hucks got the ball!!!!!

"I was happy to be proved wrong, as I sang my little heart out in Munich that evening. I think I cried when the final whistle went - I was only 8, after all! "

I know I cried when the final whistle went at Carrow Road when we beat those mighty Germans on aggregate . . . . . & I was 28 at the time.  Oh Happy Days.

Sods law!I went to Australia in april 92 and missed the biggest thing to happen to Norwich,ever! And even worse,I came back the season we got relegated!!! I must have cursed us all! The memory i do have is buying a Sydney newspaper to check for football scores, only to find out we had just beaten Bayern.Magic.My mum even sent me out that seasons shirt,which i still have.I could only wear it once as it was so hideous that i got told off for wearing it. I have never seen the whole of the Uefa cup run (before Sky) and took a long time before i saw Gossys goal. The only sour note was the Blackburn game!!!

[quote user="Canary4Ever"]I think it was 92/93 vs Liverpool at home we won 3-0 and we totally passed them off the pitch as I remember being there. I think Woodthorpe actually got a goal in this match too- this was dream football .Where is Ian Crook now when you want him lol[/quote]

A great memory but that game was in season 91-92!

Best memories for me of 92-93 were scoring 2 late goals to beat Wimbledon and go 8 points clear at the top.

Also the never say die attitude of that team. The amount of times we came back from one or 2 goals down to win games and also the ability to bounce back from sadly frequent heavy away defeats.

On a more poigniant note the QPR home game when Gunny played a week or so after the tragic death of his baby daughter. I can remember the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end as he came out for the 2nd half and ran towards the Barclay with the whole ground including the QPR fans giving him a standard ovation. I remember that he played like a man possessed for the rest of the season and thoroughly deserved his Player of the Year award. Top Bloke.

Trying to follow City''s fortunes on BBC short wave radio  on a Saturday morning in Saint Lucia either between the Pitons or in the market or behind some other blasted mountain!

An entirely frustrating experience but well-worth facing my wife''s wrath - since we kept winning and winning against the odds.

OTBC

Wow, 1992/1993 season, it was the time I start to fall in love with Norwich City, even I am far away from Hong Kong! I am still in form 3 in the secondary school and all students must be subscribe the "South China Morning Post" which is an English language newspaper, which is rare in Hong Kong. I am about 15 years old and honestly my English is quite poor, I also keep a cage of lovebirds, also just start to fall in love with football at that time; for a youngster, you just want to find something you really like and love, I should say I don''t find a girlfriend at that time, but I get Norwich City Football Club!

I remember most of the players at that time although none of them so called famous: Bryan Gunn, Mark Bowen, Rob Newman, Ian Crook, Ian Culverhouse, Ruel Fox, Gary Megson, Mark Robins, Chris Sutton, David Philips and Jeremy Goss. All of them are super legends for Norwich City Football Club. Thanks for the memory! :-)

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Trying to follow City''s fortunes on BBC short wave radio  on a Saturday morning in Saint Lucia either between the Pitons or in the market or behind some other blasted mountain!

An entirely frustrating experience but well-worth facing my wife''s wrath - since we kept winning and winning against the odds.

OTBC

[/quote]Just curious Bly but do you live in  Saint Lucia now as I often notice the times you post (this one for example 04.01 am) and if so, what is the difference between local time and GMT?