He was never going to be a success.

We were poor for 2 years with Earnshaw in the team - why did anyone expect us to do any better with a similar in style but inferior replacement in the team? Cureton had one good season at Col.U in a team where he didn''t have to work very hard. Before that he struggled at QPR and Swindon! There is a reason for him not doing that well this season.

[quote user="lurd"]

He was never going to be a success.

We were poor for 2 years with Earnshaw in the team - why did anyone expect us to do any better with a similar in style but inferior replacement in the team? Cureton had one good season at Col.U in a team where he didn''t have to work very hard. Before that he struggled at QPR and Swindon! There is a reason for him not doing that well this season.

[/quote]If we get together a team that complements him, and creates more chances, I think he will be able to do a job for us as a squad player. We certainly shouldn''t be relying on him as our main forward, though - I can''t remember the last time we had a primary striker as poor as Cureton. Look back at Earnshaw, Ashton, Roberts, Bellamy - for all his heart, JC will never be that quality of striker, and he''s only getting older. If we can find an Iwelumo-style striker who he clicks with, I still think he has a part to play - but we desperately need a genuine sniper in the box like Earnshaw (or Ched!) who can make a goal out of nothing.

[quote user="Bingo"][quote user="GJP"]

Cureton was meant to be our main goal getter but managed a measly 12??? league goals.

[/quote]

See my previous post to yours regarding having 2 strikers or as you might put it ''goal getters''

[/quote]

Indeed and we do need 2 strikers, at least 2. In my opinion we need two new first choice strikers and ideally another striker to act as competition to them with Cureton as backup to them.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="GJP"]Ok then, I know Jamie Cureton is a poor striker at this level. I know he lacks pace, lacks height, lacks strength, lacks work rate and lacks composure infront of goal.

I know we need someone better than him upfront to do better.

[/quote]
If he''s a poor striker at this level, how come he was the top scorer in the entire division the season before last? Due to his advancing years and inconsistent performances last year I think he should be more of an impact player next season, and I too cursed the number of easy chances he blew, but with the right players around him he certainly has the potential to get goals. He can still be a decent rotation player for us - let''s face it, short of us signing three strikers, he''s going to be a rotation player at the very least.
[/quote]

It was a one off season, which players have. And you have to add to that that Colchester were an unknown quantity in the league.

He performed as I anticipiated this year. I always thought he''d get a few goals but knew he''d never have what it takes to repeat that form this season.

If Norwich want to improve then players of his ability have to be considered backup options.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

as i have said before... Jamie is a confidence striker... or a pressure striker for want of a better term.

At colchester he knew if he missed then Iwelumo would score... Here its not the case.. Jamie knows if he doesnt score then no one else will! there is no Iwelumo to take the pressure off him....

I dont think it needs a decent target man to take the pressure off Jamie but just another striker who can score goals regularly... it will boost his confidence and he will relax in front of goal that bit more.

jas :)

[/quote]Despite your lunatic views on Marshall and Drury, you are spot on here Jas. Jamie scored some top quality goals this season that suggest he is a natural goalscorer. Ipswich, Barnsley, Southampton immediately spring to mind. He also missed a number of sitters, often chances when he had enough to time to realise "I really should score here, and I better make sure I do, because I probably won''t get another chance in this match, and there aren''t any other strikers who are going to score and our midfielders and defenders don''t pop up with any goals, so I mustn''t shank it over the bar....oh". Head in hands.

When Cureton joined Norwich again, i was quite pleased to say the least, a decent player, who just got the Championship Golden Boot, and with Dublin, surely he could repeat his 25 goals, or at least get near the tally, unfortunately he didn''t, it is a shame, as now many people don''t rate him at all, i would like him too come back next season with 20 goals, but i just can''t see it happening.

Erm.... you know how a lot of these arguments involve Curetoon needing ''another striker that can score goals'' playing with him to take the pressure off?

Was he not playing alongside Evans for the second half of the season? Or does Ched not fit the ''can score goals'' requirement?

[quote user="jjjohnny"]

jamie cureton last season goals scored 14, chances around 50 so about a 1 in 4 strike rate

ronaldo goals scored last season 42,chances150+ so about1 in 4 strike rate

If you dont create chances you wont score goals,norwich didnt create enough chances only a very simple person would argue otherwise

I am not saying cureton is as good as ronaldo but i am saying he''s not as bad as some people are making out

[/quote]

Ronaldo shoots and misses from 40yards, Cureton shoots and misses from 4 yards...

[quote user="jjjohnny"]

jamie cureton last season goals scored 14, chances around 50 so about a 1 in 4 strike rate

ronaldo goals scored last season 42,chances150+ so about1 in 4 strike rate

If you dont create chances you wont score goals,norwich didnt create

enough chances only a very simple person would argue otherwise

I am not saying cureton is as good as ronaldo but i am saying he''s not as bad as some people are making out

[/quote]

I''m surprised these stats have slipped past without inquisition...

where did you get these 14 chances scored from "around 50" from? Cos if

you''re just guessing, then your statistical conclusion is utterly

flawed.  Just interested.

With regards to Jamie himself, I don''t think any of us (except for Wiz)

expected him to truly get the Golden Boot again last term, but at the

same time I think we expected a bit more from him.  14 goals in

the whole season isn''t too bad, but as others have said there was a hat

trick in there against one of the worst teams in the league (no

offence, Cam).  I think we need to be looking seriously at a new

front line next season with JC as impact sub.  He''s still got

something to offer us, but the legs are getting older and the brain is

getting slower...

Yeh right i just sat down and made them up get a life pal they are the stats from a performance website www.scapegoat.cureton.fu

what happens this season if cureton gets sold and we are still crap,will you all be calling for him to be brought back

the most annoying thing about this forum is the number of people who have nothing positive to say stealing 90% of the posts

Jamie cureton is a confidence player,peter grant knocked his confidence for six after the barnet game and roeder has done little to lift it

i would love to see some of you lot giving your best performances in whatever it is you do if your confidence has been knocked out of you

i can still hear the bloke behind me when jamie shoots he should have passed and when he passes he should have shot

isnt it about time we tried to help the players instead of getting on their backs before a ball has even been kicked

and as for his brain getting slower do you even use yours before you post

For the record - I would love to see Jamie Cureton stick away 20 (or more!) league goals. In my opinion he just isn''t good enough, I''d be happy to be proven wrong. But I felt the same last summer when we signed him, would have loved him to score plenty of goals but knew that he wouldn''t.

we had a big man playing alongside him last season his name was Dion Dublin, JC was terrible and contributed very little, similar to Earnshaw but the difference being he scored most of his chances, if someone were to offer 200k for Cureton i''m sure Roeder would take it, (probably laugh his head off first)

[quote user="jjjohnny"]

Yeh right i just sat down and made them up get a life pal they are the stats from a performance website www.scapegoat.cureton.fu

what happens this season if cureton gets sold and we are still crap,will you all be calling for him to be brought back

the most annoying thing about this forum is the number of people who have nothing positive to say stealing 90% of the posts

Jamie cureton is a confidence player,peter grant knocked his confidence for six after the barnet game and roeder has done little to lift it

i would love to see some of you lot giving your best performances in whatever it is you do if your confidence has been knocked out of you

i can still hear the bloke behind me when jamie shoots he should have passed and when he passes he should have shot

isnt it about time we tried to help the players instead of getting on their backs before a ball has even been kicked

and as for his brain getting slower do you even use yours before you post

[/quote]Everyone else on this thread either likes Cureton or doesn''t, and managed to have a reasoned and intelligent debate about it. Unfortunately, choosing to insult people who share an opposing viewpoint is hardly the way to get your point across, it''s just likely to make you come across as a ten-year-old. I suggest you take your own advice and engage your brain before you start slagging people off merely for having contrary opinions.

[quote user="jjjohnny"]kettle and black spring to mind ,you should listen to your own advice and by the way i am nearly 12[/quote]Awww. Well done you.

[quote user="jjjohnny"]awwwwwww what a loser[/quote]Enough already. Now let''s talk about football like grown-up boys and girls.You''re right that Grant knocked his confidence after the Barnet match - it was totally out of order and not the only time Grant made appalling man-management decisions. Jamie is a confidence player, but there''s only so long you can stick with a player with low confidence and poor form before he becomes baggage. Roeder''s not a very sentimental sort of bloke, and with Curo turning 33 in August he''s not exactly one for the future. Hopefully having a bit more competition for places will make him all the more eager to impress next season. I don''t think anyone here wants the guy to fail, but I''m just not sure he''s good enough to be a regular starter any more.

OK no more silly name calling,my only point is we were crap last season apart from the run in the middle we never really played a settled team jamie would have scored more in a settled team with a regular strike partner,as for too old wasnt andy cole''s name being banted around not so long ago

[quote user="jjjohnny"]

OK no more silly name calling,my only point is we were crap last season apart from the run in the middle we never really played a settled team jamie would have scored more in a settled team with a regular strike partner,as for too old wasnt andy cole''s name being banted around not so long ago

[/quote]Agree that he would have scored more in a better side with a settled strike partner - let''s hope we''ve got more options next season so we don''t put too much expectation on his shoulders. I accept your point about age - after all, we signed Dion at 36 and we all saw what happened with that one. Trouble is, Dion was a top-quality player at the highest level for many years, and so was Andy Cole (40 goals in a season for a Premiership club!). Age isn''t a problem if you''ve got the quality - see Kevin Phillips at West Brom last season - but Jamie''s never been as good a player as that. Small, nippy strikers like Cureton don''t age as well as big target men either. I still think JC could do a job for us next year, but more coming off the bench with less pressure on his shoulders.

yeh i half agree,i just hope he scores maybe 10 in the first 3 months and then stays in the team to finish with 20.Dont honestly think we will sell him as it would cost us too much money and we all know thats all that matters at norwich.It would be really nice to put last season down to the idiot we had in charge for the first 3 months and that this season will be different

[quote user="jjjohnny"]yeh i half agree,i just hope he scores maybe 10 in the first 3 months and then stays in the team to finish with 20.Dont honestly think we will sell him as it would cost us too much money and we all know thats all that matters at norwich.It would be really nice to put last season down to the idiot we had in charge for the first 3 months and that this season will be different[/quote]If he''s in the team, playing well and scoring goals, nobody will be complaining. Trouble is, if he doesn''t find his form then people are bound to start getting on his back. There''s no point in selling him - we''d get next to nothing for him, he obviously wants to be here, and if he''s not playing well then Glenn''s bound to drop him.As for your last point, we can only hope - although there''s no way Roeder is as stupid or naive as Grant. No matter how good a manager Glenn is, though, if we don''t get the money to get players in, we might end up with a better manager but a similarly poor crop of players. Sit back, hope for the best and pray that the board have got the balls to back him...

Good grief, I leave work and come home to all this?  God I love it when school breaks up for the summer... for the record, I''m no Curo-basher (ooh-err), but I do realise that we can''t necessarily rely on him next season for the reasons that Coelho has already detailed.  As for my brain - well, I''d like to think it engages from time to time, though I''ll admit that sometimes it just seems to be engaged.  This, however, is not one of those times.  All I''m saying is - and I apologise in advance to the Cureton Fan Club - if anyone is expecting Cureton to score 20+ and grab the Golden Boot again, I''m afraid you''re going to be disappointed, both because of his age and dwindling ability, and (hopefully) because there will (hopefully, possibly, please) be better strikers in his way.

its quite sad you feel you have to apologise to the cureton fan club,surely if you were a real norwich fan you would be supporting all our players and not scape goating one off them.whats wrong with good old fashion football fans who support whoever wears the shirt,dont they excist anymore

[quote user="jjjohnny"]

its quite sad you feel you have to apologise to the cureton fan club,surely if you were a real norwich fan you would be supporting all our players and not scape goating one off them.whats wrong with good old fashion football fans who support whoever wears the shirt,dont they excist anymore

[/quote]Who''s "scape-goating" anyone? If you point out to me where I''ve blamed JC for our poor form last season, you can have a biscuit and stay up late... I happen to think the reasons we were so bad last season (and the two or three previous) is a whole list of things that are too numerous to mention here... all I''ve done is state an opinion.  Get used to it, cos not everyone agrees with you out here in the real world... trust me, I''m one of those "crazies" who don''t think climate change is all a government con to raise taxes...

From deep down in a Very Little Old Colchester (we are LITTLER than you are, so there!) I would only point out that Mr C''s first (and only????) Golden Boot came not, as some have suggested, by the opposition being unable to suss Colchester out (LOL!) but because he had a brilliant strike partner in Chris Iwelumo who was his feeder.

He missed many, many chances with Colchester as well but on at least some occasions Iwelumo finished off those that JC did not.

Cureton only works in a "pair" (my opinion) and I don''t think he has had that at Norwich.  Little Old Colchester were surprised that you didn''t try to go for them both and try and replicate the pairing but you didn''t.

Of course only one person gets the Golden Boot but in the season mentioned that was grossly unfair on Iwelumo who half created that Trophy for Mr Cureton but failed to get his hands on it.

That''s football!

Have said and thought that many times. He has not done so well at Charlton, maybe worth giving them a sly cheap bid.