Sign in to follow this  
TwoSheds

Best England Performance In Your Lifetime?

CROUCHOSAURUS doing the ROBOT and DEAN WINDASS helping Hull City get promoted (CAUSE HES FAT AND OLD)

[quote user="TwoSheds"]For me it has to be the 4-1 kicking we gave the Dutch in Euro 96![/quote]Thankfully we didn''t qualify for the Euro''s, we would be absolutely slammed by Holland,Russia,Croatia etc etc.

[quote user="TwoSheds"]For me it has to be the 4-1 kicking we gave the Dutch in Euro 96![/quote]

5-1 against the Germans in Munich. Rather a lucky stadium for me. Played 2 won 2 and i was at both!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Best win yes,best performance no.[/quote]

Sorry the above post was refering to the 66 world cup.

[/quote]

Oh I don''t know Arthur, I thought it was the best ever performance by a linesman!

[img]http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif[/img]

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="TwoSheds"]For me it has to be the 4-1 kicking we gave the Dutch in Euro 96![/quote]

Thankfully we didn''t qualify for the Euro''s, we would be absolutely slammed by Holland,Russia,Croatia etc etc.
[/quote]

We might have stood a chance against greece but everyone else would make us look less than average!

Euro ''96. We tore the Dutch apart and the expectation and hope that we would win the tournament. Shame we didn''t thou. The Germany match was also good, I was in a pub in Nottingham and I managed to knock myself out after the 4th goal, albeit for a small amount of time, not my fault, but the fault of a small, low ceiling pub, coupled with me being 6''4" tall.

[quote user="TwoSheds"]

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="TwoSheds"]For me it has to be the 4-1 kicking we gave the Dutch in Euro 96![/quote]Thankfully we didn''t qualify for the Euro''s, we would be absolutely slammed by Holland,Russia,Croatia etc etc. [/quote]

We might have stood a chance against greece but everyone else would make us look less than average!

[/quote]And to think they quoted this as the ''golden era'' of English players - ''golden losers'' more like, Idle the lot of them.

The terrifying thing is how few really good England performances there have been in the last twenty years.I can only think of1-1 vs Germany in Italia 90 semi-final4-1 vs Holland, Euro 960-0 vs Italy to qualify for France 982-2 vs Argentina in France 98 after Beckham''s sending off5-1 vs Germany in 20011-0 vs Ecuador in Germany 2006 (only joking)So that''s five really good performances in 20 years, only two of which were wins. If you wanted to be really negative you could mention that the Dutch and German teams we thrashed were both rubbish (and we could easily have lost that game in Munich - we were awful in the first half). The Argentina game was all about guts after Beckham''s red card, not much to do with quality football. So that leaves two draws to be proud of in the last two decades.And people still think we''re a leading football power.

Has anyone actually watched the 5-1 game since it happened? I was sad

enough to get one of the "Free DVDs" from a red top tabloid (before

shops started selling it for Fifteen quid) and its... well... its

actually quite dull once you know what''s coming.  We had about 6

shots on goal all game, and just happened to score them all. 

Germany had us under the cosh for large periods and we just caught them

on the break.  In terms of the result, yes of course it was

brilliant, but the performance wasn''t that amazing...

For me it has to be the 4-1 against Holland during Euro 96.

Friendly England 3 v Argentina 2 -in geneva......great day as well.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Has anyone actually watched the 5-1 game since it happened? I was sad

enough to get one of the "Free DVDs" from a red top tabloid (before

shops started selling it for Fifteen quid) and its... well... its

actually quite dull once you know what''s coming.  We had about 6

shots on goal all game, and just happened to score them all. 

Germany had us under the cosh for large periods and we just caught them

on the break.  In terms of the result, yes of course it was

brilliant, but the performance wasn''t that amazing...

For me it has to be the 4-1 against Holland during Euro 96.

[/quote]Agree entirely with that. Incredible though the 5-1 win was, the performance against Holland was breathtakingly good. I was lucky enough to be there as a lad of 16, and it was a performance we''ve not come close to matching since. Can''t see us playing that kind of expansive, spirited and exciting football under Capello either, although he will be very good at grinding out results and should qualify us for WC2010 without too much trouble. Having said that, I''m very nervous about the home match with Croatia in October...

I''d agree too. That 4-1 over Holland was the only time I can remember England looking like a world-class football team. The third goal, where Sheringham shaped to shoot but instead slipped it to Shearer, was absolutely awesome. Heady days. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECWqv_cosrs"And you have to say, it''s magnificent" And indeed it was.

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="TwoSheds"]For me it has to be the 4-1 kicking we gave the Dutch in Euro 96![/quote]

Thankfully we didn''t qualify for the Euro''s, we would be absolutely slammed by Holland,Russia,Croatia etc etc.
[/quote]

Hate to be picky but if we qualified for the Euro''s we couldn''t slammed by Russia and Croatia [;)]

For me it''s got to be the girst half against Andorra away last season I think [<:o]

I thought the 1-0 against Arg in the 2002 WC was pretty good. They had a good team and we played them off the park. I especially enjoyed it because I was in a pub full of Argies

This is a doddle for me...........66'' World Cup Final, England 4 Germany 2...............the don''t come any better than that![:D]

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]2-2 vs Argentina in France 98 after Beckham''s sending off[/quote]

You know, I''d quite forgotten about that one... managing to keep it at

2-2 after Becks had been sent off and coming within penalties of

getting through against a persistent Argentina was another of the most

spirited displays I''ve seen since I''ve been old enough to watch footy

and know what''s going on (Italia ''90)... Owen''s "wonder goal" (though I

personally wonder if its really that special... even Hucks can beat 4

players and score... [;)]) and a defensive display to make you proud of

the Three Lions... magic stuff...

And we had a goal disallowed that might well have been given on another day. Funny that two of my list of best performances were under Hoddle.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]And we had a goal disallowed that might well have been given on another day. Funny that two of my list of best performances were under Hoddle.[/quote]

I know, poor Sol - twice he''s scored a vital "winner", only for it to

be disallowed for seemingly no reason... the Argentina game, then 6

years later against Portugal! No wonder he went a bit bonkers...[:S]

1. England 4-1 Holland, Euro 962. Argentina 0-1 England, World Cup 023. Germany 1-5 England, World Cup 02 qualifying4. Italy 0-0 England, World Cup 98 qualifying5. West Germany 1-1 England, World Cup 906. Argentina 2-2 England, World Cup 987. England 1-1 Germany, Euro 968. Italy 0-2 England, Le Tournoi, 19979. Argentina 2-3 England, friendly, 200510. England 4-2 Croatia, Euro 2004

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Has anyone actually watched the 5-1 game since it happened? I was sad enough to get one of the "Free DVDs" from a red top tabloid (before shops started selling it for Fifteen quid) and its... well... its actually quite dull once you know what''s coming.  We had about 6 shots on goal all game, and just happened to score them all.  Germany had us under the cosh for large periods and we just caught them on the break.  In terms of the result, yes of course it was brilliant, but the performance wasn''t that amazing...

[/quote]

Blimey. What did you want them to do? miss the chances .. It''s a good thing to put your chances away and a scoreline is a scoreline. I mean fair enough moaning about some England performances of late for example not reaching the Euro''s but to complain about a 5-1 win over Germany. That is quite something...