Sign in to follow this  
Hucks Right Leg, Eadies Left & Iwans Head

Kris Renton & Damon Lathrope

I think we really need to keep hold of Renton over the next few years because he looks to have a very promising future if he can continue to to work under Roeder and team.

Renton looked like he had poetential (sp?) so could come good and from what I''ve heard there are much better players that haven''t been handed contracts than Damon Lathrope

[quote user="National Express super guard"]it''s the age old thing of can someone come back from a broken leg the same player. I hope kris can, he did look like a goalscorer, and someone with hunger. just not the hunger john hartson had I hope!
[/quote]

Exactly. I hope he recovers ok.

Unless he has changed his mind Renton turned down a contract at the end of last season, and yes there are much better players than Lathrope that have not been offered a contract or released. My view is that the Academy needs to break the mould and try a different type of player, perhaps ones that can pass to their own players as the player conveyor belt seems to be broken. Renton was decent and he is an old style forward that has the ability to hold the ball up.

We always hope that young players from the academy come through. Look at Palace of late. I feel more for a young player coming through than a player signing of the same quality.

I agree entirely about the two players mentioned.  I don''t think that Renton has proved much so far, he only scored a couple of goals in friendlies before his injury.  I too had heard that he had refused the contract offered -  perhaps he believed in his publicity too much. I think that when he was selected  by Grant for the first team it came at a time when the first team were struggling and Grant thought that all the fans would be cheered by the fact that there was a new striker coming through the ranks. With regard to Lathorpe, from what I saw of him in a few reserve matches he looks fairly average - he needs to grow a bit and yes, I think that there were a couple of other lads that got overlooked who maybe would have been a better prospect. 

My Belief is that some of the boys selected do not have the basics and yet the ones released or not offered contracts have more potential. The Academy seems to be set on a certain type of player.