Sign in to follow this  
Loughborough Canary

rumour signings

Possible Bentley on season long loan - Arsenal paying part of his wages.
Christian Nerlinger from Rangers on a trial, with option for a free move.
Olivier Bernard from newcastle - doubt it though!
Bakke for 1.5m
Wilcox - free

Bentley should go to a div one side. We''re too good now to blood big teams youngsters.We should go for someone with at least the experience Forsell had before he went to Birmingham on loan.
Nerlinger, don''t know enough. But if he''s the German I''m thinking of he''s too old and has been playing in a mickey mouse league for ages.
Bernard, why would he move from a the first eleven of a huge club to come to us, he''s not exactly out of favour.
Bakke, too expensive. Good enough player but many more just as good on a free available.
Wilcox, done nothing for years. Big wages, couldn''t even shine at Leeds, must be rubbish.

Sorry.

I disagree with you about Bentley jonzey. I think if a player is good enough to come on loan and has the potential he should be able to play in the top flight. I wouldn''t say we have reached the stage at being "to big" to turn down any youngsters.

Come on jonzey Wilcox is class for Norwich

sorry i thought the thread was for Wilcox for Norwich utd in ridgeons league

I think you are right if he can''t play for leeds then we must look above players like him

I did think how about nick barmby but he did not exactly do much while on loan at forest

I did hear something said about steve sidwell from reading but is he up to it? he is only young i guess and former arsenal youngster

Did you see Bentley against Pompey? He was out of his depth, too lightweight and the worst performer on the pitch. You cant rate him on the basis of 1 stunning goal in the worthless cup.

City cant have passengers next year or take him for a year so he can get near prem standard on a regular basis - we need signings who can make a real contribution now.

Bentley may have potential but so has Jarvis (who has already shown more and is 2 years younger) and Jarvis isnt so arrogant to have had his own web site for 4 years. Jarvis fits in the squad - use him more if we want to see how talented a youngster is - ratherthan blooding another clubs. Forsaell spent a season at Palace & then Stuttgart (?) before becoming a prem player - he was hardly that prolific at Palace - I suspect Bentley needs the same education.

On another note I see izzett looks like signing for bham - a shame as he would have been good here.

OTBC

Yeah izzet is on 30k plus i can''t see us paying that though

but i think huckerby''s goes up to 20k a week when we get promoted

£30k a week is not out of our range for a 1 season contract - ie while we are still in the prem - for the few key players who should make the difference.

Hux was on 28k at Citeh, who are still paying part of his wages now. And it was widely reported that now we are pormoted his wages will comfortably exceed what he was getting at Citeh - on that basis come the summer we already have one 30k a week player in key position.

Ambition and planning and a couple more players on that sort of wage should mean we can keep the finances tight but attract the player who will keep us in the top flight.

The view on here seems to be that we are 4 players short of staying in the prem (centre back, centre & righ mdfield and a striker). 100kpw in wages - avg 25kpw - for key positions - costs us a total of £5.2million. With a depressed transfer market, bosman deals and loan signings surely this should be within our budget (£7-10m?) given a 1 season boost of £20m??

We shouldnt sell ourselves short to protect ourselves financially. Our loans are well structured and we can afford to repay them on Div 1 income. Compared to many clubs our financial position is manageable, in control and allows us to be that bit more competetive in the transfer market without exposing ourselves to a Bradford,Leeds Ipswich type disaster.

Pocketing £10m (ok we are spending some on the pitch and in fill stand but that makes good sense) and investing the other £10m on a possible further £20m looks like a reasonable gamble to me.

OTBC

Well laid out plans Zipper

Who do you think we might go for?

I know there has been loads of talk of current premier league players but i wonder whether we will look abroad?

Have we got a European scout? or i guess there is so many agents contacting clubs

If we are relegated we are guaranteed 7.5 million each season for 2 years which equates to 35 million of guaranteed income in total. Each league position is worth another 500k and each tv appearance is worth another 597k. Include extra income from sponsorship, merchandising etc and the true worth of promotion to the prem is around 40 million even if u get relegated. Taking all that into account even if Worthy was given 15 million to spend on wages and fees we''d still have 25 mill to play with. I think that div 1 is a nightmare to get out of and therefore as much as possible should be made avaliable for transfers. Whilst Delia is right to say that spirit and hard work go a long way it is essential to have that extra quality in the prem and that costs good money.

Someone told me that Petit is training with us at Colney, now I dont know if its true but that should make interesting. I also heard that he has been looking at houses in the area, can anyone shed any light?

I do feel that the time remains right to aim high and not play the Wolves/Leicester approach we should invest substantially in the future. However while £40m is possible from a season that assume we stay up and as you say getting out of div 1 again would be a nightmare - look at the record of teams getting relegated from the premier - its not good - and that is WITH the £15m 2 season parachute payments. That is why I have left the extra cash out of my equations - it shows we can afford to get some real quality in the squad and dont have to content ourselves to JUST lower division sides - we can buy some of those as long as they add to the squads ability - the likes of Dean Ashton & Gary Teale have a real future in the game and wont cost Andy Reid type transfer fees.

However Delia is right - team spirit DOES go a very long way - it is certainly absent from the current bottom 4 teams & several more above them. I am sure the reason Pompey, Fulham & Charlton survive is due to the team spirit into those sides by their managers.

As such if Petit is training at Colney I trust Worthy & co to judge exactly what his worth (sorry for the pun!) could be to the club including being able to be part of the current club spirit. The bloke as the ability, the question is whether he is prepared to use it week in week out and show some committment to us?? If worthy signs him I would take that as a very big positive and applaud the signing.

I do think we will look at some overseas players - they are successful here, offer far better value for money in most cases and pro-british sides in the premier are not overly successful; we need to pick and choose carefully though. And preferably before prices get inflated by Euro 2004

As far as targets are concerned the market seems too big to choose from and I am not confident in what Europe has to offer. However Pennant would be ideal on the right & Crouch would offer us something different from the current three up front. Central midfield is harder to solve and the central defender is the hardest of the lot - Huth seems perfect but is playing too many games for Chelsea to be realistic at the moment. A Gallas-style player is what we need but they are few and far between.

More loan picking may be available from Chelseas if Roman goes ahead with a further £101m spending spree as is currently rumoured...

I am not sure about a european scout - have we been put off by the likes of Segura, DeWaard et al and so not looked lately?

Interesting times ahead.

Carpe Diem

If you check out www.teamtalk.com they have a what the papers say section which is good for rumours. Today it reckons we are going to sign;

Todorov (portsmouth)
Bryan Hughs (Birmingham)
Peter Crouch for £1.5 million (Aston Villa)

The other day it had Martin Keown linked with a move to the yella and green.

I dont know if we would pay out that much money for Crouch. And I feel Keown is not exactly what we are looking for. We need defenders that are experienced but not too old incase they decide to retire if we dont stay up. We really need to look at how West Brom have managed things.

ZippersLeftFoot talking sense again. Thank-you, sir! Maybe you should be our European scout?

I totally agree that (1) We are 4 players short of Premier survival (2) We need to invest in class, and not just young talent, and (3) We should be looking overseas as well as at home.

That to me sums up the situation. Our message boards are filling up day-by-day with rumours and ramblings, and I guess that''s just how it''ll be throughout the summer now. But rest assured that NW is our man, I place his faith in my club in his hands, and I''m sure that he''ll spring us a few surprises in due course.

And I''ll put a tenner on us staying up next year, too...

I''m sorry Zippers but I''ve got to disagree with you about Bentley. I don''t think he''d be a passenger if he came here next year. The lad obviously has talent, otherwise he wouldn''t have stayed so long at Arsenal. When he played against Pompey he was playing on the right wing. That''s not his usual position, he''s a striker. We don''t know that he won''t be able to hack it in the Premiership. Wenger obviously does otherwise why not ship him off to a first division club on a free? There would be no reason to let Bentley go out on loan unless he wanted to give him experience and hope that he''d play for Arsenal when he came back. Wenger would surely flog him otherwise. I wouldn''t mind him coming at all, he won''t cost much in wages and he might be the next "big thing". We don''t know until we see him on a regular basis. You say that can''t rate him on the basis of 1 stunning goal in the worthless cup. Surely you can''t rate after one mediocre performance at the end of the season?

Bentley.........?? Any player that comes from Arsenal is good enough for us.

This lad has been brilliant when he has played this season, if we get him on loan we havent lost out have we.

If you read my note I agree Bentley has talent but, like Forsell 2 years ago, its not quite ready for the premier - if it was, why would Arsene be letting him go at all? He needs first team football on a regular basis and while the pompey game was him out of position both Henderson and Jarvis have also played out of position for City and looked like making a contribution; Bentley did not. The season after next for Bentley maybe - I have greater faith in Jarvis doing that job for us - the boy is two years younger and just as talented.

DD, we will just have to agree to disagree!

OTBC

Any player that comes from Arsenal is good enough? Brian McGovern anyone?

Not that Bentley doesn''t have the potential and that I wouldn''t want him but the statement is ridiculous.

Morning all. Now, there''s alot of conflicting view points on the Bentley issue. It looks like the point of view depends on how you view Norwich as a club:

If you want Bentley in on a season long loan I think this points to the fact you still see Norwich as a small club which needs to take on bigger teams youngsters. In the past players like Rio Ferdinand and David Beckham were loaned out by their Premier League clubs to smaller teams, mostly in the lower leagues. I know Pennant is at Leeds from Arsenal, but look at Leeds!!

I prefer the view Norwich are too big (although still only medium sized) now to blood big clubs youngsters. Simple as that. Bentley has definite potential and will probably go on to become a very good player, but he''s still learning. We don''t want to be the club he learns from his mistakes at. As Zipper said Jarvis also has lots of potential so why not give him this role and use our two prem loan signings on tried and tested?

Well, whatever we all think about him, it seems that Worthy is definitely keen on him, and I for one have absolute faith in Worthy to do what is right for the club.

The question may still remain as to whether Bentley will want to come to Norwich, or if he will hold out for another London club, thus not having to remove himself from his current lifestyle.

I was thinking dean ashton would be a good signing i think there was talk of him going to someone like everton early in the season

Scored a few goals not sure what type of striker he is ? i thought he looked like a target man type player but i might be wrong he is only about 22 aswell good for the future

Ashton looks like a good target for me - impressed each time I have seen him and age is certainly on his side - for me he is definitely one to follow up on.

However we only come up with striking options when we only really need one - more defensive rumours please - following on from the Romario one I''ll start with Fachetti or Baresi!

Given this is a rumours note thread. These are all rumours posted on the tribalfootball site concerning City signings.

Norwich return on for Villa striker Crouch http://www.tribalfootball.com/may/englsnews2100504.html

Norwich favourites from Evrton for Birmingham''s Hughes
http://www.tribalfootball.com/may/englinews7100504.html

Norwich seek Portsmouth talks for Todorov
http://www.tribalfootball.com/may/englinews5100504.html

The last one surprises me most of all given the rumours already running around about Crouch and Bentley. Why do they need another striker? That said most of the rumours appear to come for a large format Sunday paper more famous for the Beckham scandals.