Sign in to follow this  
Polar

Clingan agrees to join Canaries

[quote user="Canary Nut"]Is Clingan the new Gary Holt, the powerhouse of a midfield? We need a strong defensive central midfield player to help "cover" the defence. [/quote]

God I hope so!

Judging by the mood on the Forest boards this looks like a good smash and grab by Glen Roeder.  They are all gutted to have lost him.[:D]

[quote user="ncfclad"]

Sounds like we have got a bargain, but dont expect him to go forward much, he will sit in front of the back four and play.

http://www.forestforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=26447.0

[/quote]

Not that I mean to piss on your bonfire, but that''s not really a fair reflection of what all Forest fans think of him (that forum is incredibly pro-Forest and everything to do with Forest....very young demographic too I believe).

Anyway, I''m by no means devastated he''s left -  he''s very much replaceable and both Cohen and McGugan were better than Clingan. That said, it annoys me because it now means our squad is looking even more threadbare than before and also, we get no fee for him (we really should have sorted his contract out earlier). He''s relatively solid and dependable, if unspectacular. I don''t know where he got the reputation of a playmaker as he''s rarely showed any glimpse of that here (perhaps due to Calderwood) and I think it''s important to remember that thus far, he''s been steady, but unspectacular in League 1, not the Championship. Seems to be a love/hate player amongst our fans. Not an inspiring signing, but one that''ll add some depth I suppose.

Thanks for your opinion, ForestRed. Although I will say that those opinions seem replicated whichever Forest board is visited, but I take your point.

I wonder if Worthy had a hand in this.  If there were other teams interested he may have advised the lad to come here.  Maybe it was words to the effect of (put politely)

''If you join that club I can''t bring myself to name, you can forget about your intenational career sonny!''

Hardly surprising that fans have different opinions on a player, is it - but plenty of decent comments from both Forest and N Ire supporters suggest that he is decent enough.

You can''t really blame the lad for looking to come to a bigger and better club. [:)]

This Forest fan for one isn''t best pleased...http://www.premierfootballforum.com/forum/?showtopic=11899

[url=http://www.premierfootballforum.com/forum/?showtopic=11899]http://www.premierfootballforum.com/forum/?showtopic=11899[/url] even.

Everyone will have an opinion on a player leaving. Some will be gutted that he left and will make a comment of a bad nature, others will just be plain cheesed off. Thats internet forums for you.

Cautionary note !

He has only agreed to join us, on July 1st. 13 days until he actually signs, he could be high-jacked by another club in that time.

It''s happened to us before, remember ?

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

Cautionary note !

He has only agreed to join us, on July 1st. 13 days until he actually signs, he could be high-jacked by another club in that time.

[/quote]

Has he not signed a contract with a view to coming on the 1st July when his contract expires?

Cautionary note !

[/quote] He will have signed a pre-contract stopping him from signing for somebody else without paying us compensation. I''m pretty sure thats how it works.

Looking forward to seeing this lad play, can''t argue if he''s a freebie, and I trust Roaders'' judgement.

Just a thought, this could make the Hoolihan signing more likely if there''s another Irishman at the club, thats if we havn''t tied up the Hooly deal yet. We can hope at least! Maybe Worthy has been singing our praises at the Northern Ireland camp to these guys.

[quote user="joshncfc"]

Looking forward to seeing this lad play, can''t argue if he''s a freebie, and I trust Roaders'' judgement.

Just a thought, this could make the Hoolihan signing more likely if there''s another Irishman at the club, thats if we havn''t tied up the Hooly deal yet. We can hope at least! Maybe Worthy has been singing our praises at the Northern Ireland camp to these guys.

[/quote]

Not at the same training camp - Wes Hoolahan plays for the Republic.

Yeh yeh :P (us poor newbies). Apparantly I need to develop a thick skin too, and watch out for Wizzards! ;)

I keep hearing "good squad player" "average player" "plays like a crab" alot. Not overally impressed with this signing but we''ll see.

I watched him a couple of times last season when Forest were on tv and he looked a good player.  Hopefully the other 4/5 players will be announced shortly.

Cautionary note !

[/quote]

No. when has that ever happened?

The club wouldn''t go public with this unless it was signed and sealed, as others have said he will have signed a pre-contract agreement.

God, have you never played Football Manager?! Lol

Of course no Forest fan is going to be pleased about this; it''s another position we now have to fill. Somehow, I think that''s manifested itself as genuine heartbreak at losing Clingan. Last season, it was very much a 50:50 divide between fans, some who thought he was pig-shit, others who thought his defensive work was under-appreciated. I, personally, have never seen Clingan as a particularly effective defensive midfielder (certainly not a free-kick taker or driving force btw, he''s scored 1 goal in his entire time here) and would be underwhelmed from a Norwich perspective. However, it depends on how Roeder deploys him as I don''t think Clingan was ever utilised as effectively as he could have been here. Good luck to you guys anyway.

The most succesful teams are just that...a TEAM. That can be made up of players of different qualities.

The season we got promoted Holt got through a hell of a lot of work but went largely unsung due to the likes of Francis, Hucks and Iwan taking the main credit.

Hopefully Clingan is part of the succesful team Glenn is building!

[quote user="Freeza"][quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

Cautionary note !

[/quote]

No. when has that ever happened?

The club wouldn''t go public with this unless it was signed and sealed, as others have said he will have signed a pre-contract agreement.

God, have you never played Football Manager?! Lol

[/quote]I don''t think it will happen, but didn''t the aforementioned occur with Cotterill, or something similar? Who cares anyway, look how good that move turned out for Wigan!