Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Change central defensive partnership to improve service to front players

I truly hope that Worthy will bring in young Shackell in place of Mackay for the Cardiff game. If this happens then we will have at least one central defender who is prepared to play the ball out of defence as opposed to the Malky or Flem ''boot upfield''. Week after week we see both players continually booting the ball upfield in the hope that one of the front players might get near it. Invariably the opposition get the ball, another possible attack breaks down, and we are back defending again. Neither player appear confident to bring the ball down and play it to a team member, and when they do try, they are so slow that they are usually closed down and have to put the ball into touch.

I feel that we have been lucky so far this season that no team has really punished us in that central defensive area. Both are good players and have been loyal servants to the club but, like Roberts up front, there comes a time when you have to bring in younger players. The sign of a good manager is one that changes something before it goes horribly wrong. Our performances and position in the league make it difficult to change a winning combination, but next week we have to change it. Go on Worthy be bold and bring in Shackell and let us see if the service to the front players does improve and at the same time take some pressure off the back four.

I have made this point on numerous occasions Silver Fox as i and many others feel that Malky is way out of his depth!!

Young Shackell on the other hand has the matural abbility to bring the ball out and he has pace to burn!

This i feel has to be a long term move..

Agree with the last message, although feel that Flem still does a good job, Malky is a bit of a liability. Thought Shackell would get his chance against Cardiff but it looks as if Drury will move inside and Brennan will play at left back. Think Shackell should play, if youre good enough youre old enough! Finally, when is sopmeone going to sort out Muscat for once and for all, he even plays like that for Australia!