Sign in to follow this  
pennywise

national anthems

watching germany v austria tonight made me realise what a crap national anthem england have got. the german one deutchsland uber alles(or something like that) is fantastic compared to ours, so passion stirring the german fans at the ground were struggling to contain the urge to do nazi salutes and hark back to the glory days, much better than our dreary few lines about the queen, also the french anthem is a damn fine tune and gets the fans going.ours is just rubbish we need to change it, i`m fairly sure we share the tune with leitchenstein as well no wonder we`re so crap and can`t qualify.

Indeed our anthem is dour and pretty morbid sounding, the lyrics are also utterly pointless as the monarchy has no place in modern society, definetly time for a change.

I have to agree that GSTQ is a pretty turgid effort and doesn''t get the passions going. Land of Hope and Glory is probably the best alternative but change won''t happen so we''re stuck with the dirge.

Of other national anthems I particularly like those of the Netherlands, Italy, Australia, Spain, Brazil and Russia. The Duth one is clearly one they respond too and it is noticeable that the Dutch fans sing it towards the end of games too especially if they are winning. 

whatever you think of  america as a country the star spangled banner is pretty good as well. when its not sung by some faded popstar with false tears. we could do so much better than our rubbish. also its much better when its just left to the fans and players to sing along to a brass band rather than being led by russell watson or that countrys equivilant.

[quote user="buddhaboy"]i have often wondered if we should change
options i thought of are:

jerusalem
rule britannia
swing low sweet....
london underground
[/quote]

Surely Rule BRITTANIA wouldn''t be appropriate for ENGLAND''S national anthem. As a Scot I would certainly object!

I always thought the Italy national anthem was the best.

In the days of Schumacher dominance in F1, that and the German anthem would be played out, the two best.

Back to this case....Rule Britainnia would be best imo.

I find the English anthem quite rousing, not dull, turgid or anything like that.  "Send her victorious, Happy and glorious, Long to reign over us...".  Are you kidding me that you find this depressing?  Granted, the concept of royalty is outdated, but that is part of the charm.  It celebrates the history of the country which is quite impressive.  Besides, God Save the Queen is what you are identified with worldwide, so why change that.

Rule Britannia is a good song but I doubt the RAF and British Army would be too thrilled that the Royal Navy''s hymn was chosen over their songs.  The RAF song rocks!

For those wanting Hope and Glory, I think everyone would break into "we hate Liverpool, too" when it got to the 2nd line.

Yah, the French have a fine one, but it has not done them a lot of good now, has it?  You know why they planted trees along the Champs Elysees?  So the Germans could march in the shade.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Yah, the French have a fine one, but it has not done them a lot of good now, has it?  You know why they planted trees along the Champs Elysees?  So the Germans could march in the shade.[/quote]you cant say the french dont try to be willing hosts[:)]

GSTQ should be the anthem for Britain only. The other home countries have their own anthem and yet we are stuck with the British one.

When England is being represented we should have our own. About four years ago a group of MP''s formed a committee to decide and launch an English anthem and, surprise surprise, nothing further has been heard.

My choice would be ''Jerusalem'' or ''I vow to thee my country'' but of course being a multicultural society with all the advantages this brings, I assume the vocal minority would/will/have complained about the lyrics

AND DID THOSE FEET IN ANCIENT TIMES..................................

Jerusalem would definately get my vote. I''m a member of the Barmy Army and have traveled to India, Australia and Sth Africa to watch England play cricket, when we all start singing Jerusalem accompnied by Billy the Trumpet it never fails to get the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up!!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

I find the English anthem quite rousing, not dull, turgid or anything like that.  "Send her victorious, Happy and glorious, Long to reign over us...".  Are you kidding me that you find this depressing?  Granted, the concept of royalty is outdated, but that is part of the charm.  It celebrates the history of the country which is quite impressive.  Besides, God Save the Queen is what you are identified with worldwide, so why change that.

Rule Britannia is a good song but I doubt the RAF and British Army would be too thrilled that the Royal Navy''s hymn was chosen over their songs.  The RAF song rocks!

For those wanting Hope and Glory, I think everyone would break into "we hate Liverpool, too" when it got to the 2nd line.

Yah, the French have a fine one, but it has not done them a lot of good now, has it?  You know why they planted trees along the Champs Elysees?  So the Germans could march in the shade.

[/quote]

It''s not the English anthem Houston.  We haven''t got one, unlike Scotland ("Flower of Scotland") and Wales ("Land of My Fathers").

God Save The Queen is the UK anthem.  It''s appropriate for UK teams, for example in the Olympics, but not English teams.

Your mistake is entirely understandable, and just goes to underline why an English anthem is needed.

[quote user="buddhaboy"]my favourite is jerusalem i admit.[/quote]Whilst I don''t mind Jerusalem it does have the effect of making one

envisage beer swilling rugby fans, it''s so sickeningly middle class.

I embarassingly didnt know Jarusalem until i stuck it in youtube, now recognised it from Rugby.

One of the national anthems played for a country who England played last year, was a hymn I think we all sung at school. Cant remember which one but was a bit random. All things bright and beautiful??!

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="buddhaboy"]my favourite is jerusalem i admit.[/quote]Whilst I don''t mind Jerusalem it does have the effect of making one

envisage beer swilling rugby fans, it''s so sickeningly middle class.[/quote]i play rugby, and im far from middle class!!!

jerusalem words:

And did those feet in ancient time

Walk upon England’s mountains green:

And was the holy Lamb of God

On England’s pleasant pastures seen!

And did the countenance divine

Shine forth upon our clouded hills?

And was Jerusalem builded here,

Among these dark satanic mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold:

Bring me my Arrows of desire:

Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!

Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,

Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:

Till we have built Jerusalem,

In England’s green & pleasant Land.

how patriotic,

Wasnt there something earlier in the year about changing our National Anthem? There were votes and whatnot, i forget exactly!

Jerusalem is such a strong song and the lyrics are much more heartwarming than the nonsense in God Save The Queen

some people question the lyrics, saying they question whether "jesus" walked on our green and pleasent land,but to me, it shows the urge to make sure england is that powerful and holy kingdom.

I also think it should be Jerusalem, mainly because it actually refers to England ("green and pleasant land"). We should get rid of the monarchy while we''re at it, they make us look like a bunch of backward-looking spivs.

[quote user="ched seven"]

the german one deutchsland uber alles(or something like that)

[/quote]

You are a little behind the times as the Germans dropped that verse back in the second half of the 1940''s for fairly obvious reasons. 

That said I agree "our" anthem is a bit on the dreary side and I would prefer Jerusalem as well.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="ched seven"]

the german one deutchsland uber alles(or something like that)

[/quote]

You are a little behind the times as the Germans dropped that verse back in the second half of the 1940''s for fairly obvious reasons. 

That said I agree "our" anthem is a bit on the dreary side and I would prefer Jerusalem as well.

[/quote]

That''s not all they dropped! Flattened my Great Grandad''s allotment shed with a 500 pounder! Dirty Fokkers![6]