Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Roberts or Allcock, who was the best?.

As we''re champions, bloody great feeling that, it set me thinking as to who was the best striker to wear the yellow and green?.

Try as I may I''m stuck on two, and I can''t seperate them.

The brilliant Iwan Roberts, I was so ''chuffed'' for him at Crewe, or the superb Terry Allcock?.

Now I know many of you on here, never had the privilage of seeing ''The Count'' in action, but I''m sure some of you have. I can''t decide either way. Both are/were stunning finishers, both have/had a terrific shot on them, and both can/could head the ball superbly.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, both players have given me, and I''m sure thousands, many fine memories which will never fade away, both will be forever consided by the supporters to be true City ledgends. But who had the edge?.

You may think there should be someone else included, Sutton or Paddon for example. But for me, the two best have been Iwan and Terry, I just can''t decide who was the better striker thats all, help!.

PS. This is no wind up, I assure you!.

The best is a big tag...

I have to trust my mums judgement here as she has seen both; her view is that Terry Allcock and Johnny Gavin were the two best players she has seen in the city yellow - so she would have to go for Terry.

Of the players I have seen Big Iwan has committed as much as any player for the club ever, but feel that Reeves, Bellers and Eadie were better players, with Drinkell & MacDougall probably the most natural finishers but the very best striker I have seen is Sutton who remains the last city player to score more than 20 league goals in a season and was a combination of the best bits of the above players - powerful, strong in the air, pacy, two good feet and could give cover in defence - what more could you want from a striker?

OTBC

Between the two of them (Allcock & Roberts) and all too briefly, was the figure of Ronald Tudor Davies, assuredly the most complete centre forward ever to play for the club.
Boots and lacing come to mind especially in comparison with the wholehearted but technically limited Iwan Roberts
I can only think 1st Wizard was suffering from a severe attack of amnesia during the mid-60s.

I have to agree with Bernard - Ron Davies was without doubt the best centre forward we have had at the club - though Terry Allcock and Iwan were also brilliant- and performed superbly. Happy Days!

Agree, Ron Davies was really good, Hugh Curran just after him was a top class striker as well. Now we are promoted, it is well worth remebering a great striker who helped us into the highest division the first time - David Cross.

As somebody who has seen every striker since Roy Hollis there is no doubt that Ron Davies is far away the best. Johnny Gavin, Terry Allcock, Chris Sutton, Kevin Drinkell, John Deehan, Robert Fleck, Tommy Johnston, Alf Ackerman and the very under rated Ralph Hunt would complete my top ten all time greats.

Guest CFrost
Iwan of course. No I''m not being biased. As I''m not that old (17) I havent seen all these players play. Ive been brought up with Iwan and he''ll always be my number one player. He is a legend. The very best. He is Mr Norwich.

Bernard: I did say who was YOUR choice!. Having seen Ron ''kipper'' Davies play many times I had not forgotten him, and I was only stateing MY preferences. And you know what was going on man in the sixties!, Savvy.

1st Wizard, your own criteria was who was the ''best'' striker and then you field an individual who''s style/instincts are of a lower division scrapper (Iwan Roberts) and omit to even mention a class act who in different times, would have assuredly made an impact on a deregulated world stage (Ron Davies).
I in no way wish to diminish the telling contribution made by Iwan Roberts over the Club''s recent past, but we are talking artisan again artist here.