Sign in to follow this  
AndyJR

Hopefully the end of Ameobi talk....

Word on the Tyne is that City won''t match Town''s pursuit of Ameobi. Too rich for one player...

The

Newcastle Evening Chronicle were today insisting that the Canaries will

not try and hi-jack Ipswich''s £3.5 million raid for Toon striker Shola

Ameobi.The Suffolk have yet to officially confirm that they

have, officially, made a bid for the 26-year-old striker - a player

long-admired by City boss Glenn Roeder.But as further details

of the intended payment seep out on Tyneside, so it would appear that

the Canaries are in little mood to match Marcus Evans'' show of

financial strength - or at least, not by slapping such a hefty sum on

one single player. With less ''vacancies'' to fill, Town can

afford to be a bit more gung-ho about their summer spending plans;

Norwich - in all likelihood - need at least four or five permanent

signings. And the same again in loan signings - all of whom will come

with a loan fee and agent''s cost attached.That, at least, was the reading of the situation in the North-East by the Chronicle''s veteran football writer, Alan Oliver. "Meanwhile,"

he wrote today, "Norwich City will NOT try to hijack Shola Ameobi''s

move to Ipswich Town after United accepted a £3.5m package for the

26-year-old striker from Portman Road."Ipswich have agreed to

pay United £2m down, with another £1m on appearances and a further

£500,000 if Ameobi helps them win promotion."Glenn Roeder does

not have this sort of money to spend on one player at Carrow Road, and

in the meantime Ameobi is waiting to see if any other clubs, especially

in the Premier League, come in for him."With Norwich having

long made it policy not to comment on transfer speculation stories and

Ipswich doing nothing more than issue a ''No comment...'' response to

this week''s big story, there was little more to add - other than to

suspect that Oliver will be pretty near the mark in his speculation.The Canaries have to make whatever transfer funds they have available this summer stretch an awful long way.

And

with Roeder having already wondered aloud as to just how problematical

Ameobi''s long-standing hip issues might prove, it would come as

something of a surprise to see them slap a straight, £2 million wad

down on the table in a bid to match Ipswich''s offer.The

question for Town chief Jim Magilton is whether Gareth Southgate''s

Middlesbrough steal his summer thunder - offering Ameobi the chance to

both play Premiership football and to stay in his North-East base.Otherwise, the way looks open for Evans'' millions to land the 6ft 2in striker.  

Elsewhere and Iron striker Martin Paterson is clearly not for long at

Glanford Park after telling the Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph that his

mind might not be fully focussed on League One football next season -

which is the classic, toys-out-of-the-pram routine as advocated by

players'' agents the world over.That once a club turn down a

transfer request - and all after Burnley have twice had a nibble at the

player around the £550,000 mark - then your next card is to suggest

that your mind might be elsewhere.Just as Damien Francis'' ''mind

was elsewhere...'' when it came to turning up for a pre-season friendly

at Colchester United in the summer of 2005. Having spent most of the

summer agitating for a move back into the Premiership with Portsmouth,

it was Wigan who stepped in with the bigger bid as the Canaries found

themselves with little or no option but to come to the table and deal.The ''mind was elsewhere...'' trick is tantamount to going on strike - even if no-one quite calls it that."I''ve

obviously made it very clear I want to leave the club by handing in a

transfer request," the former Stoke striker, told the Telegraph."The

reason that I did that is because when I signed, the club said if I did

well they wouldn''t stand in my way of bettering myself or staying in

the Championship. I''m coming to the end of a year where I think I''ve

done okay. I''ve not ripped up trees, but I think I''ve done well and

that Scunthorpe have gone back on their word."All of which will put the Canaries on high alert - provided that Burnley have not already got the player''s nod."I

hope they look at it from the point of view that I''m a young lad and

very ambitious and I want to use the momentum I''ve had this year,"

added Paterson, offering a welcome dose of modesty for a 21-year-old

footballer.I don''t think I''m a player with unbelievable

ability. If anything, I think I''m a player that probably lacks a bit of

ability, but I''ve always tried 100 per cent for Scunthorpe every time

I''ve walked over the chalk.Hopefully the fans, when they look

at it, will think that while I do want to leave the club, and I''ve made

that very clear, I''ve worked hard and have earned the right to better

myself."Burnley have already had two bids turned down by The

Iron; their own hand may be strengthened by the impending exit of Kyle

Lafferty - now reported to be bound for Celtic in a £2.5 million

cash-plus-player deal. And the player coming the other way? Someone well known in these parts under Peter Grant''s reign - Celtic misfit Derek Riordan.

Good - far too expensive Imo.

And now the Scunthorpe chairman has said Paterson will not be sold this summer, so we can knock that one on the head too. Sibierski it is then!!!!!!!!

Glen Roeder promised the City fans some presents , its beggining to get hard trying to work out who these presents will be and i am pretty sure Ameobi would have been one he had in mind, and if we cannot stump up £2 million for Glens most talked about player then just who is he going to palm off on us as a new hero ? . Maybe he can beg Huckerby to come back .

I''ve still got a gut feeling Ameobi will join us. And I think Roeder is one of the few people possible to argue the case strongly enough to make it happen.£2m up front plus big wages is a lot to find but I understand Derby still owed us the Earnie fee quite recently. Now they''ve been relegated and trousered £12m in parachute payments and sold the player to Forest I can see no way that they''d be able to cling onto that money any longer. Just a guess but is it possible the Earnshaw transfer money has been quietly slipped into the transfer fund very recently? Lord knows it hasn''t appeared anywhere else. With that available on top of what was already budgeted maybe we can do one big name signing at least in which case I think Ameobi is Glenns primary target.

[quote user="Ncfc No Ambition"]Glen Roeder promised the City fans some presents , its beggining to get hard trying to work out who these presents will be and i am pretty sure Ameobi would have been one he had in mind, and if we cannot stump up £2 million for Glens most talked about player then just who is he going to palm off on us as a new hero ? . Maybe he can beg Huckerby to come back .
[/quote]

I think you''ll find Roeder promised that we would be pleasantly surprised, not that we would get some presents. Has Roeder magically become Santa Claus or something?

All this Ameobi talk is really going to put our board under pressure!!! About time!!!

I''m sure he is still Glen''s number one target along with the Irish huckerby (wes hoolahan) which i think we may have already have tied up, look at the evidence, all rumours of Wes going to other clubs have completly disappeared, too many reports on him signing, well we will see in the next few weeks won''t we?

Back to the topic of Ameobi, Glen wants him match fit pre-season so he can blitz the championship depending on his dodgy hip! He will be begging the board to meet  Newcastle''s valulation of the player, and so is Shola by all accounts as he wants to join the Roeder Clark Newcastle city revolution at carrow road. If the money is not available for Ameobi we are all going to hear about it as Glen will be shouting it from the rooftops. If our deluded mockney friends of Ipshitshire do agree a fee for Ameobi, the player has to agree to sign for them. If we are led to beleive that Ameobi has a relationship with our management two he won''t join them and go to a lower premier league side.

Well I expect the transfer roller coaster to start very soon, but with this club who knows, especially when we have an accountant to engage with the media, please can someone give him a balance sheet a copy of girls aloud album and place him under lock and key and only wheel him out for the AGM.

OTBC

Thanks for the welcoming messages. I was just sharing my thoughts on the Ameobi situation to spark some intelligent debate, instead you are more concerned about the size of font!!!!!!!

That''s why this country has gone to the dogs!

[quote user="Bubsy Willis"]

Thanks for the welcoming messages. I was just sharing my thoughts on the Ameobi situation to spark some intelligent debate, instead you are more concerned about the size of font!!!!!!!

That''s why this country has gone to the dogs!

[/quote]

i think this is a better font!! nice!!

So has anyone got any interesting points to make or are we obsessed with font sizes now, as our club and summer silly season really turned our supporters into this?

OTBC

I think you made some good points, esp about it all going quite on the Hooligan front, I too agree that that one is in the bag. But as to Ameobi, do we reakky want to spend that much on an injury prone striker who would also want top wages, when we also need to get in about 11 other players?

Ameobis scored 5 goals in 2 seasons, so is not worth the sort of money Newcastle are looking for and his wages would be very excessive. Given that either affordability or personality clashes were the reasons for Hucks departure getting a Premiership big time Charlie whos on huge wages by our standards and isn''t that good would indeed be double standards.

One things for sure we are threadbare and need a lot of reinforcements!

I would say we need at least 8 new players, and some loans on top of that!

[quote user="Salahuddin"]I would say we need at least 8 new players, and some loans on top of that![/quote]Frightening reality that we face!!

Well Salahuddin I agree at the money mentioned it''s a very large gamble when we do need 5 to 8 players to bolster our wafer thin squad

But with all this change at NCFC I feel that something could be afoot, maybe they have given Glen money to spend and we are being clever and not making this publicly known like our stupid deluded friends down the A140. Ok they have money to spend for once but they should never have made this known to the extent that they have, but than again they are arrogant and stupid and very jealous on our season ticket sales!

But the bottom line is (sorry for the footballing cliche) that we don''t know what Newcastle''s valuation of the player is. It is all media speculation and we will never know remember the undisclosed fee!

Doncaster likes it that way!

OTBC

Well according to the article tonight on My Football Writer we are looking at 4-5 permanent signings and 4-5 loans .

Ameobi--2.0 million

Hooahan-2.5k

Bell------4.0k

Andy Cole free

James Brown--3.5k

5 quality players = 3.00million

Loans:

Hoyte

Cork

Another CB?

Out:

Croft 750k

Cureton 350k

If we have any money left: Sibierski

[quote user="Bubsy Willis"]Which article, I can''t find it?[/quote]

Its mentioned in the article thats the first post in this thread .

[quote user="DonnysDoom"]

[/quote]

Which the OP should have linked to rather than cut''n''paste the whole thing. Mr Waghorn may have something to say about his report appearing word for word on a "rival" site.....

[quote user="bunny"][quote user="DonnysDoom"]

[/quote]

Which the OP should have linked to rather than cut''n''paste the whole thing. Mr Waghorn may have something to say about his report appearing word for word on a "rival" site.....

[/quote]I''m sure he will forgive me. (*roll eyes*)