Sign in to follow this  
james norwich

Matt Jackson

I imagine he''d be a great influence in the dressing room, I think having one ''old pro'' is not necessarily a bad thing, wages I guess won''t be overly high, provide good back up (since when has MJ been known for having a lot of pace anyway) and be fantastic for the younger players.

He played in 35 Premiership games between 05-07 can''t be that bad?  And Watford have better defenders than us hence he didn''t play so many games.  He''d only be cover anyway.

If it''s true, we should have learnt from Dion not to instantly get on his back - but then many people slate every signing (pretty much) and don''t give them a chance!

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

I imagine he''d be a great influence in the dressing room, I think having one ''old pro'' is not necessarily a bad thing, wages I guess won''t be overly high, provide good back up (since when has MJ been known for having a lot of pace anyway) and be fantastic for the younger players.

He played in 35 Premiership games between 05-07 can''t be that bad?  And Watford have better defenders than us hence he didn''t play so many games.  He''d only be cover anyway.

If it''s true, we should have learnt from Dion not to instantly get on his back - but then many people slate every signing (pretty much) and don''t give them a chance!

[/quote]

Taylor or Jackson............hmm?...........thats a hard one!.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Give it a rest, we all know Taylor isn''t coming.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Got a scenario for you Wiz,

We release Doherty, his wages are used to bring Jackson in on a free to fulfill a player/coach role maybe.. Would provide experience and cover as thrid/fourth choice centre back.

Secondly, we then buy Gorkks for £250,000 and he becomes a one half of our first choice centre back partnership with, wait for it...

Taylor, costs us £750,000, and becomes the second half of one of the best centre back partnerships in the division..

Would you be happy then?!

As far as I''m concerned you need four centre backs in a squad, if Doherty is released then bringing Jackson in wouldnt cost us anymore as he would replace him. And if Doherty stayed we would still need two first choice centre backs... So really it comes down to the question, who would you prefer Wiz, Doherty or Jackson?

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And thats makes it okay does it?..........but for 250 grand...........he would already be here..........but no, the penny pinching board tries to do it on the cheap, and we''re linked with the ''has been'' option................again.

Just wonderful!.

[quote user="Scooby"]

[quote user="buddhaboy"]for once, hope you are right,legend, and a good friend.[/quote]

Buddha old chap. If he''s a good friend could you just give him a quick ring and ask him for us? Would love to see him back.

[/quote]lol i wish i could i knew him well, but never got his mobile, summit about a restraining order...

I think we would all be happy with Gorkss and Taylor with Shackell 3rd in line and Matt Jackson as cover , but in reality thats not going to happen is it , Taylor may stay at Birmingham ,Gorkss is widely reported as going to Qpr , that then leaves us with Shackell and Jackson , now that does not sound quite so impressive does it .

[quote user="Ncfc No Ambition"]I think we would all be happy with Gorkss and Taylor with Shackell 3rd in line and Matt Jackson as cover , but in reality thats not going to happen is it , Taylor may stay at Birmingham ,Gorkss is widely reported as going to Qpr , that then leaves us with Shackell and Jackson , now that does not sound quite so impressive does it .
[/quote]

Do you genuinely believe that Shackell and Jackson will be our central defensive pair in August ?  It''s a shame about Gorkss, but there are plenty of other fish in the sea, and after the removal of some big fish here, the one thing we should have plenty of is bait.

Wouldn''t object to Jacko coming back at all. Good player, respected in the game, got his coaching qualifications. If he can come in and be a Dion, thats no bad thing. It isn''t a signing for the future and it isn''t a signing that shouts out ambition or big plans, but its a stable and sensible one.

I bet Roger Munby regrets saying to Glenn that, if he kept us up, he could "have as much money as he wants" though-either that, or he is a bit miffed that Glenn repeated it to the press!

As for Shackell, he''s had more than enough time to realise any potential he has or might have. This is a big, big season for him, he should either finally "cut it" this season, or be politely told, come next May, that his services are no longer required. We have had better players than him that haven''t been given as much time, nor had as much tolerance, and I suspect Glenn will be on his case from day 1.

[quote user="Giovani Dos Santos"]

We release Doherty, his wages are used to bring Jackson in on a free to fulfill a player/coach role maybe.. Would provide experience and cover as thrid/fourth choice centre back.

Secondly, we then buy Gorkks for £250,000 and he becomes a one half of our first choice centre back partnership with, wait for it...

Taylor, costs us £750,000, and becomes the second half of one of the best centre back partnerships in the division..

As far as I''m concerned you need four centre backs in a squad, if Doherty is released then bringing Jackson in wouldnt cost us anymore as he would replace him. And if Doherty stayed we would still need two first choice centre backs... So really it comes down to the question, who would you prefer Wiz, Doherty or Jackson?

[/quote]

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Giovani (all of 20 bloody minutes!)

Using your scenario, then yes, it would be fine with me, as long as Jacksons 3rd choice position reflected that in his wages.

Okay?

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Giovani Dos Santos"]

[/quote]

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Giovani (all of 20 bloody minutes!)

Using your scenario, then yes, it would be fine with me, as long as Jacksons 3rd choice position reflected that in his wages.

Okay?

[/quote]But if he was player/coach he''d be on a little more cash.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And thats makes it okay does it?..........but for 250 grand...........he would already be here..........but no, the penny pinching board tries to do it on the cheap, and we''re linked with the ''has been'' option................again.

Just wonderful!.

[/quote]

Or was it GR playing hardball?

[quote user="Ncfc No Ambition"]Why on earth do we need to get an old timer in on a short term contract when we have the summer to get a younger centre half signed , this club gets more worrying by the day.
[/quote]

The same reason that we got Dion in, he may be old but might do a job for the season.

People have got short Memories...

Matt Jackson was a Tosser! he spent most of his time here Arguing with Flemmo and demoralising Darren Kenton! Isnt it funny how we put malky in the back line, get to Cardiff and get promoted?

I dont want him back here... i''ve heard stories about his attitude too....

jas :)

So am I to a great extent, however at the moment it is just a rumour, let''s treat it as such and not get too worked up over something that may never come to fruition [:)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote user="Ncfc No Ambition"]I think we would all be happy with Gorkss and Taylor with Shackell 3rd in line and Matt Jackson as cover , but in reality thats not going to happen is it , Taylor may stay at Birmingham ,Gorkss is widely reported as going to Qpr , that then leaves us with Shackell and Jackson , now that does not sound quite so impressive does it .
[/quote]

Do you genuinely believe that Shackell and Jackson will be our central defensive pair in August ?  It''s a shame about Gorkss, but there are plenty of other fish in the sea, and after the removal of some big fish here, the one thing we should have plenty of is bait.

[/quote]

If we don''t bring in some quality fish soon......we''re going to get battered....

[quote user="james norwich"]He''s got good knowledge and can read the game well. He can nurture Shackell to (hopefully) realise his potential.[/quote]I''m tired of this line by now.  Shackell is just not good enough and the idea he hasn''t yet reached his "potential" is the same soft-headed thinking that let Ryan Jarvis hang around the club for years.