Sign in to follow this  
NMTD

Roger Mundby's speach last night...

Just a word to say how good I thought Roger Mundby''s speach last night was.

He thanked the fans far and wide, those that turn up week in week out, those that make the odd match, the thousands that listen only via the radio - all this support has been crucial to our success.

Can you imagine a certain Mr Chase ever saying these things?

With at least 50,000 people turning out last night - its clear to see that there is a huge latent support of our club.

One question to pose is how long Carrow Road can go before we need some serious expansion.

I think its clear to everyone that if our stadium could hold 30,000 we would fill it easily next season. Its a good old chicken and egg situation - we can''t afford to spend to bring in the extra revenue.

The infill takes us to 26,000. With that already sold out (once the waiting list is addressed) and the pitch replacement we''ve already committed a cool £3 - 3.5m out of the Premiership pot already.

Its going to be a fine balance to work out when the next step - a probable 2nd tier on the City Stand - should be taken to tap into this support.

We could sell out a 35,000 stadium if it was big enough. But any money we have should be invested in players and if we stay up we should then look at putting a tier on the city stand. Is there plans to build an infill between the barclay and jarrold stand or will the hotel take all that corner?

i think we have got to look at staying up for a couple of seasons. firstly there will be the money for the building,but also could we fill 30,000 in div1??? methinks not,even if we have got a long waiting list.also we have to think about losing 8,000 for a season while a stand is being rebuilt,would we want to do that and then get relegated only for it to be empty the next season
certain examples spring to mind - ipswich,oxford and their new stadium...

Just remember yesterday was free... also it was a time for the city to celebrate... for every one to join in.. not every one is prepared to pay for good and bad times....
Best business plans ensure you always have a demand... if you produce more than you can sell you are putting money down the drain and trust me Delia is more money focused than you may see.... The board took the gamble with buying the players and that came off.. I dont think you need to increase capacity so soon knowing how fickly fans can be.. remember this is such a purple patch and I wish it lasts forever.... but NCFC as a business will not be able to trade in a purple patch for ever...........

I think we are extremely fortunate to have a set up at the top that includes Roger M; Delia and Michael W-J. They all have an affinity with the fans and they will ensure that we go forward sensibly. Add in Nigel W (who I quite warmed to last night) and our players and the future is looking good.

There are many clubs , dotted around the country, with brand new stadiums , and still reeling with debt and poor team performances .......... Mancity ? et al ! .......... we have cool heads at Norwich , and Delia is cool !!! ......... I would far rather stand in in a crowded , but rundown stadium , and watch a decent team , than stand in a half empty new stadium , watching the remnants of a team , decimated of our best players because the stadium drained the club of essential moolah !! ........ :o)

Norfolk Dan, yes this is certainly a purple patch but last season was,lets face it, pretty dull+disapointing and we still sold out virtually every game often weeks in advance.

I certainly think that we would average 30,000+ next season if we had the capacity and whilst its fair to say there would be a drop if we came straight back down, there are ways of selling seats when demand isnt so great-cheap kids tickets, season ticket holders bringing a friend for a tenner etc. Judging by demand in recent seasons i think we would easily top 25,000 if we were challenging in the top 6 of the 1st div.

I must admit i have thought for years that City`s potential support has often been way underestimated. There are more than a million people in Norfolk+North Suffolk alone. Most of these people have an affinity with the area, are financially solvent and see Norwich as a fast-growing and vibrant capital. With the clubs mix of ambition,passion,spirit and common-sense over recent years i am not at all suprised by the boom in support, and i think it would take a disastrous change in fortunes for this to reverse.

However the board have earned our trust and i dont think they will risk the huge financial outlay of vastly increasing capacity at the expense of the team. We`ve been there before havent we?! I think the best short-term bet (as well as the new infill) would be to build some seats in front of the hotel if at all possible. This would probably bring capacity up to a respectable 27,000ish. Does anyone know if the club are looking into this?