Sign in to follow this  
james norwich

Transfers out - The Doc

The Doc is about to take his luck the other side of the pond. Thanks for the memories Doc. My fav was when he brought down the Burnley striker in Worthly''s last game - sent off for pulling someones bootlace at the third attempt takes some beating.

Without the clumsyness and urge to rugby tackle opposition strikers Gary Doherty might have been a good player but i would rather watch a centre half who can be the last man without getting sent off. I hope Roeder doesn''t give him a new contract hich seems more and more inevitable as the days go on.

My favourite would be against Crystal Palace at Selhurst on New Year''s Day 2007. He went to tackle the attacker and fell over. Then, when he got up, he tripped over Safri who was tracking back. Palace scored. It would have been funny if I hadn''t paid £35 for the privilege of watching it.

Doherty is okay - decent defender, but he has no pace and gives away too many fould. Also his distribution is terrible. He preobably doesn''t deserve all the stick he gets but if we want to move up the table we need better defenders. Actually, we need a better defence.

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]You complain we don''t have enough players yet you want him to go?  Yes he''s not very good but I''d rather him than no one![/quote]

But we need quality and numbers, I like Doc, but we need players that will move up and I think that he is a very good cover for our new centre backs, but not a regular I''m afraid. I thought he was one of our better performers, not saying too much.

And whether you like it or not, the Doc is twice the defender Shackell is! and I have no idea how Shackell has avoided all the flak that the Doc gets!

Funny old game football.  Real Madrid are possed to offer Ronaldo 300k a week and on the other side of the football planet, were being held ransom by one G.Docherty, how depressing.

[quote user="ellis206"]And whether you like it or not, the Doc is twice the defender Shackell is! and I have no idea how Shackell has avoided all the flak that the Doc gets!
[/quote]

So, that''s 2 x 0 then.  Doh!erty is IMO a complete liability. I don''t think I have seen such a clumsy oik of a defender but I agree Shackell is crap too.

As I''ve said more times than I can remember I really don''t think the Doc as anywhere near as bad as people think or even as bad as they would like him to be.

He''s a pretty good defender at this level.

hmmm at this level... i would say he''s a standard player at champ level... problem i have with him though (and maybe roeders issue?) is that he is on a more than average wage... he''s not worth his slightly deducted prem wage... there are other defenders who we could pick up who are just as good if not better (defo faster... ) who would prob be happy with a fair amount less each year...

We also need to build a new team.. a winning team... i feel/fear that doc doesn''t have that mentality... i mean does he really want it? look at him on corners he nor shack hardly throw them selves at the ball... look at the scoring record... malks scored a lot of goals as he wanted the ball... he''d have gone through anyone to get to a header... would doc... not from what i''ve seen.

Roeder needs to re build and popular move or not... doc going might be a blessing... our only worry is that of numbers... - but can you have a squad player on say between 5-7k a week*

*an estimate... but i think it''s prob close to what he gets give or take... either way too much... !

i hold a faint glimmer of hope for shackell.... for two reasons...

a, i thought he actually had good season in the prem... remember drogba not liking him much!

b, he is a left footed centre back... pretty rare and worth sticking to...

I think if he were next to someone of the malky ilk (strangely another lefty i think...) he''d improve no end...

[quote user="can u sit down please"]If the Doc is a liability then what does that make Shackell![/quote]His brother?

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="can u sit down please"]If the Doc is a liability then what does that make Shackell![/quote]His brother?[/quote]the son of Doc and Fleming........eurgh!

[quote user="rum-ole-boy"][quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="can u sit down please"]If the Doc is a liability then what does that make Shackell![/quote]His brother?[/quote]the son of Doc and Fleming........eurgh![/quote]Would''nt mind a few defenders in the Flemming vain though.

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="rum-ole-boy"][quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="can u sit down please"]If the Doc is a liability then what does that make Shackell![/quote]His brother?[/quote]the son of Doc and Fleming........eurgh![/quote]Would''nt mind a few defenders in the Flemming vain though. [/quote]Fleming and Malky.........ahhhhh when centre backs actually gave you an attacking threat in set pieces.........the good old days!

[quote user="Jameswallis"]

hmmm at this level... i would say he''s a standard player at champ level... problem i have with him though (and maybe roeders issue?) is that he is on a more than average wage... he''s not worth his slightly deducted prem wage... there are other defenders who we could pick up who are just as good if not better (defo faster... ) who would prob be happy with a fair amount less each year...

We also need to build a new team.. a winning team... i feel/fear that doc doesn''t have that mentality... i mean does he really want it? look at him on corners he nor shack hardly throw them selves at the ball... look at the scoring record... malks scored a lot of goals as he wanted the ball... he''d have gone through anyone to get to a header... would doc... not from what i''ve seen.

Roeder needs to re build and popular move or not... doc going might be a blessing... our only worry is that of numbers... - but can you have a squad player on say between 5-7k a week*

*an estimate... but i think it''s prob close to what he gets give or take... either way too much... !

[/quote]

Christ, where did this shrewd analysis come from - fine words Mr Wallis.  I have to admit I usually only get as far as the stupid tackles outside of the box, but you really have hit it on the head with this.  Given that he was signed as a forward, it''s true he never attacks the ball, preferring to hang out at the back to loop it back in when attacking, and usually saying "you first" to Shacks when in defence, even when Shacks is 20 yards away. 

Get him gone!

Doc is not really good enough as a first team regular and we have to remember that we signed him when we were in the premiership which means he must be on premiership wages and for that you would expect him to be one of the best CB in the league - which he is clearly not.

I reckon he is holding out for the same money which would be a joke. 

I never quite understand people who say the Doc is slow/has no pace/isn''t quick.

How many times in the last season has the Doc been done for pace? How many times do you see an opposition player go past him and leave him for dead?

He may not look the most graceful but he''s not slow across the turf and he''s definitely not the slowest player in the squad.

As a football club, surely our wages must reflect the financial state of the Club.  I''m not saying were near to administration, but, perhaps the club is admitting to itself we have no realistic chance of promotion and therefore players can not expect the same money they were on in the past, when we were in a better position for a promotion push.  Just maybe the Doc issue, simply is the club admitting where it is, without actually coming out and saying it.

okay... i''ll tell you something the doc is extremely slow in... the brain... decision making... slow to react...

i have to say i still feel he is a slow player... the QE2 turns quicker... (meow)

okay... i''ll tell you something the doc is extremely slow in... the brain... decision making... slow to react...

i have to say i still feel he is a slow player... the QE2 turns quicker... (meow)

[/quote]

Not really.

He is slow on the turn, I''ll agree with that.

[/quote]

Here is proof large units can turn incredibly quickly.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NbIOM7U8xc

Love to give it ago.  Awesome!!!

[quote user="GJP"]

As I''ve said more times than I can remember I really don''t think the Doc as anywhere near as bad as people think or even as bad as they would like him to be.

He''s a pretty good defender at this level.

[/quote]

Precisely!

We can''t afford to let any of our better players go cause our squad is so weak and down on numbers. The Doc must stay!

getting back to the original post, any chance of posting something factual?