Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Invitation to Euro 2008

Hey all, I know i will be accused of trying to rub in England''s non-qualification, but i hope you will appreciate that is not what I am trying to do.I read an article from the Telegraph urging English people to support Poland in Euro''s as there is such a large Polish community in Britain, and it got me thinking.I know many of you will have no interest in the Euros without England there, but surely it would be a welcome distraction from all this bloody transfer speculation to follow a team in Austria/Switzerland. There are a great number of Poles in Britain now and it would be great for relations between the two nationalities if Britain supported the Poles as they embark on their first ever Euro campaign.Again, i re-iterate, i am not trying to stir the pot or wind people up, simply urge you that if you are going to support anyone in the Euros, it might as well be Polska, after all we all love an underdog story and Poland''s group is Austria (who are very poor) Croatia, and Germany.Poland are not actually that awful, we have some very talented players such as Blaszczykowski (RW plays for Dortmund, wears ''Kuba'' on the back of his shirt) and Smolarek (ST plays for Racing Santander, 9 goals in qualifying). Have achieved some good results recently, beating Portugal in qualifying, and a full strength Czech team in a friendly in Cyprus about 6weeks ago.I hope you can all get behind the Bialo Czerwoni (The white and red) - especially in the first game, which happens to be Germany on Sunday night - 8:45pm KO.All games are televised on either BBC or ITV so accessible to all. (All who have a telly anyway!)

[quote user="kick it off"]

Poland are not actually that awful, we have some very talented players such as Blaszczykowski (RW plays for Dortmund, wears ''Kuba'' on the back of his shirt) and Smolarek (ST plays for Racing Santander, 9 goals in qualifying). Have achieved some good results recently, beating Portugal in qualifying, and a full strength Czech team in a friendly in Cyprus about 6weeks ago.[/quote]I bet you copied and pasted that Wink [;)]

But yeah, I''ll look out for Poland. There''s a big Polish and Portugese community in Yarmouth and I have to say they cause no problems and are friendly to us locals.

lol - i didnt copy and paste but i did have to double check my spelling!Im really psyched about the Germany game, we have never beaten them - our record is something like 0-4-11 in 15 attempts!!!This year we have a real shot at beating them though, and hopefully without Eduardo, Croatia will struggle for goals, although they have some fantastic players.In all honesty, it would be a serious achievement if we were to get through the group stages, but theres always hope!!

By the way in case you are interested to see how we got there...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhY-sI1G5kI (part 1)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E0Pb-EaFJs (part 2)There are some cracking goals in there...

NOT BECAUSE HE IS POLISH, just because he calls every one gay, and tells us to F''off and pretends he dosnt know any english at all

Leo Beenhakker is the Poland manager.. always gets his sides to the big tournaments and ensured T and T didnt embaress themselves at the last world cup...i think Poland will be tough to beat!

Im going to be following Switzerland.. my grandmother is from there.... Home side.. 33/1 bet... tradition shows that the hosts of a big tournament ususally reach the 1/4 finals or better... they stand a decent chance if Vonlanthen, Frei and Barnetta are on form...

Got a Swiss shirt as well....

jas :)

Sorry KIO but I''m supporting Croatia. I was thinking about following them anyway and then I drew them in the sweepstake at work which just confirmed it.

I read somewhere that Leo Beenhakker is rather concerned about how Poland will fair in the Euros, which is why they rushed through the naturalisation of some Brazillian chap. I''ll have a look and see if I can find the article later.

[quote user="Greenwich Canary"]Glad England aren''t there, they''re so boring. Germany play some decent football these days, hope them or Spain win.[/quote]

Are you English? If so then I can''t believe you''re glad they are not there. Are you glad Norwich aren''t in the Premiership?

[quote user="Canary Chris"]

[quote user="Greenwich Canary"]Glad England aren''t there, they''re so boring. Germany play some decent football these days, hope them or Spain win.[/quote]

Are you English? If so then I can''t believe you''re glad they are not there. Are you glad Norwich aren''t in the Premiership?

[/quote]

Yes I''m English, but I''m afraid I just don''t have any time for the national team. We''re unbearably dull to watch, underachievers, and I don''t much care for overpaid ''superstars'' like Terry, Lampard and Ashley Cole. We''re a consistent disappointment at International level.

I''ve just drawn Poland and Croatia in my sweepstake so it looks like I will be supporting them.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Leo Beenhakker is the Poland manager.. always gets his sides to the big tournaments and ensured T and T didnt embaress themselves at the last world cup...i think Poland will be tough to beat!

Im going to be following Switzerland.. my grandmother is from there.... Home side.. 33/1 bet... tradition shows that the hosts of a big tournament ususally reach the 1/4 finals or better... they stand a decent chance if Vonlanthen, Frei and Barnetta are on form...

Got a Swiss shirt as well....

jas :)

[/quote]

Good call, I think the Swiss are dark-horses, if they get past their group I think they may make the semis. Had a punt on Frei as top scorer too, 50-1. Nice.

glad england aren''t there.

you deserve to be shot

[quote user="Post Man Pat"]

glad england aren''t there.

you deserve to be shot

[/quote]

Do I? Care to explain?

your glad england aren''t in one of the biggest competitons there is ?

your glad your going to be watching the euros this summer supporting your country ?

i pitty you

[quote user="Post Man Pat"]

your glad your going to be watching the euros this summer supporting your country ?

i pitty you

[/quote]

Don''t pity me mate, I''m looking forward to it, some great teams, good venues, will be a cracking tournament. Not my fault McLaren is completely incompetent.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Sorry KIO but I''m supporting Croatia. I was thinking about following them anyway and then I drew them in the sweepstake at work which just confirmed it.

I read somewhere that Leo Beenhakker is rather concerned about how Poland will fair in the Euros, which is why they rushed through the naturalisation of some Brazillian chap. I''ll have a look and see if I can find the article later.

[/quote]Roger is the Brazilian''s name - plays for Legia Warsaw - I don''t know too much about him, but the Poles are really p***ed off he got in the Euro squad. He had 45mins against Denmark on Sunday (1-1 draw) and although i didn''t see the game as i had a summer ball thing with work, he looks decent by all accounts, tall and quick with fantastic dribbling ability.I don''t think Beenhakker is too concerned to be honest, he is making positive noises about the Germany game, we have our 3 injury worries given the all clear yesterday to play on Sunday, including most importantly Kuba - who is our main attacking flair player, although from what i understand, Roger plays a similar style on the opposite wing (LW).One player to watch out for is Wasilewski - plays in Belgium, he is nicknamed "the Polish tank" - maybe worth a punt on him getting booked at least 2 out of the 3 games!!

[quote user="Greenwich Canary"][quote user="Post Man Pat"]

i pitty you

[/quote]

Don''t pity me mate, I''m looking forward to it, some great teams, good venues, will be a cracking tournament. Not my fault McLaren is completely incompetent.

[/quote]

your right in the way england are an incredibly boring team in my opinion. your right about the players not performing to the standard they do at their club teams. And your correct I think it will be a cracking tournament. But dont want your home country there!? Thats ridiculous. Thats like saying when Norwich were playing as if they were a conference side (more times than not) you want to see them relegated as they are boring. Don''t be so stupid. Im gutted England aren''t there.

[quote user="ipswichrscum"][quote user="Greenwich Canary"][quote user="Post Man Pat"]

i pitty you

[/quote]

[/quote]

your right in the way england are an incredibly boring team in my opinion. your right about the players not performing to the standard they do at their club teams. And your correct I think it will be a cracking tournament. But dont want your home country there!? Thats ridiculous. Thats like saying when Norwich were playing as if they were a conference side (more times than not) you want to see them relegated as they are boring. Don''t be so stupid. Im gutted England aren''t there.

[/quote]

You won''t be saying this when we''re knocked out in the QFs on penalties after scraping through the group, playing badly. If our players don''t have the skill to beat the opposition in our last qualifying group (perhaps our easiest in recent history), they don''t deserve to be in the tournament.

Roll on a feast of football with no heartbreak!!

[quote user="ipswichrscum"][quote user="Greenwich Canary"][quote user="Post Man Pat"]

i pitty you

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I meant to add - perhaps it''s the best thing that could have happened to this country, the national team not qualifying for a major tournament (again).

A reality check.