Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Long Term Loans

It seems like a good idea really, Norwich City take a good player on loan for a year and we get to use them in the team, if they are rubbish we get to send them back later with only money for wages lost, but.............

Lets say we take Bentley, Arsenal can''t lose from the deal(barring a freak injury), City can. Say he becomes our star player, scores and makes lots of goals and makes himself indispensible to us, Arsenal can just thanks, we sent you a boy with potential but we think we''ll take him back now he is class player. We lose a good player, without any transfer money to replace him.

If we do these long-term loans, there should be a pre-agreed transfer in place incase we want to keep them. Loans are ok but how can you build for our future success on them?

But surely if he turned out to be a superstar and helped keep us up we would get millions for staying in the Premiership, whereas if he hadn''t come we could have got releagted. At the end of the day that''s what loan deals are. He comes to help us out. If he does, great. If he doesn''t, he goes back. We know exactly what the consequences are of a loan deal. I''d love us to go out and spend X million on a Premiership quality striker, but it''s not going to happen. We need to spend within our means and if that means loan deals so be it. I haven''t seen Birmingham complaining about the loan system that much!!

Its a fact of life - we will have a limited budget and a long term (or short term one for that matter) loan is a cost effective way of boosting squad quality without financially ruining the club.

It has worked for bham, portsmouth (smertin) & leeds (pennant), Monaco (Morientes) amongst others this season so we should be looking to do the same. Campo shows long tem loans work out to your benefit long term as well as a short term fix.

Any players into the club will be

1. Long term loans - good value but must be for high class players
2. short term contracts - 1 year deals on bosmans that have no long term financial implications but with the risk we lose them after a year - again for quality signings.
3. Longer term bosmans - good players prepared to accept a contract where the wages fall or rise depending on the success of the club and probably with an opt out/sell on clause
4. ''normal'' signings with a transfer fee - talented propsects on a similar contract to above.

I expect that we will see a mixture of all of these during the summer.

OTBC

this season leeds had 8 loan player in ther squad and what did they do again ??? dont think we need to go down the loan route two much we are allowed 8 loan players 2 max from other prem clubs the rest must come from a lower division (hardly goin to be of any quality if say burnley are going to loan them out) or from another forigne league! i think we should use 4 loan max at the start of the season that will cover if any of them get injured we can ship the out in january and bring in replacements or additions
OTBC

That''s just how loans work ''Saint''.

But look back at this season, how much did we benefit from our loanees? And the benefits to a team in Norwichs position next season far out weigh the negatives. If the loanee turns out to be rubbish we just off load them at the soonest opportunity and haven''t wasted a transfer fee on them. If they''re superb, we get a superb player for no transfer fee which is almost as good as a quality Bosman signing.

I have to say I think long term loans are the way forward for next season. Let''s not forget if we have long term loans that love it at norwich (who wouldn''t!) and help them stay up next season they may find a more perminant move quite an attractive prospect. We''ve seen this with Hux and Crouchy, who''s to say that bentley wouldn''t be tempted to stay if he has a good season. No matter how good he is for us he''s still likely to be 5th choice at arsenal after henry, reyes, persie and aliadiere.

Let''s not underestimate Worthy''s power of seduction!