Sign in to follow this  
Taxing

Roeder, hero, villain or Mr Average ?

It''s interesting to note how many posters on here blindly support Roeder and rubbish any poster who dares to display any criticism of him. There''s no doubt that Grant was a disaster but why do people praise Roeder as though he is some sort of Messiah ? Sure, he was the manager who "guided" the club to safety but many other managers could have done the same. After all, there is no doubt that our team was plumbing the bottom and there was no way to go except up. It was inevitable that an incoming manager of any ability and experience (arguably neither Grant nor Duffy had either) would inject fresh new ideas, organisational and motivational skills and therefore make an impact. The Board had to make a change and it was Roeder who came in. In Grant''s 11 games at the start of the season a meagre 8 points were accumulated. Two more managerless games produced no further points. By contrast, Roeder''s first 11 games harvested 18 points and then the next set of 11 games 19 points. By now it''s 16th February and Roeder has been in charge for three and half months, the transfer window has come and gone and he has brought in players of his own choice. The play-offs look possible. Then what happened ? In Roeder''s final set of 11 games a measly 10 points were gathered, only two more than Grant''s 11 games had mustered. So, the first 11 games of the season were a disaster but so were the final 11 games and we only avoided the drop in the penultimate game of the season. Personally, I think the euphoric relief of avoiding relegation has clouded many peoples'' judgement which I guess is understandable but one thing''s for sure : the truth will come out about Roeder in his first full season in charge and based upon his performance over the last 11 games of the season I, for one, am not convinced it will be that palatable.

Don''t think he can be judged one way or another until the end of next season, afterall it will be his team this time round.

[quote user="Dogger Slipraid"]Don''t think he can be judged one way or another until the end of next season, afterall it will be his team this time round.[/quote]

You''re right of course, I was just trying to put his performance to date in sharper perspective and, having done that, project forward with the suggestion that there isn''t (unfortunately) any obvious reason to be too optimistic.

[quote user="Dogger Slipraid"]Don''t think he can be judged one way or another until the end of next season, afterall it will be his team this time round.[/quote]Couldn''t disagree more. Will you wait to judge him until the end of next season even if that means relegation. No of course not. If we are rock bottom by Xmas everybody will judge him.I''m a big believer that in this league you have no time to settle in, be it player or manager. This isn''t the premiership, clubs don''t have massive squads and resources. You can''t afford to wait for players to come good. It''s the same with managers. The gulf between the Premiership and the Championship is vast. The gulf between the 1st Div and the premiership is mind blowing. Failure in the form of relegation to that division is total unthinkable.I judge and will continue to judge our manger and players on a month to month basis. This isn''t everybody’s idea of being a die hard fan but for me that’s what I pay my money for. What I''ve watched over the last 3 seasons has been utter crap and I’ve paid well over £1000 for the privilege. I will back the manager up to the point where I feel he isn''t improving our team. At the moment all we can do is sit on our hands and wait. Good luck Glenn you''ll need it. You have laid down your law and told us of your ambitions. Now we will see if you can work the oracle. You budget will obviously dictate to what extent you can work but if you don’t know by now what that is then you have already made your biggest mistake and will die by it. I give you more credit than that sir, so here''s one fan who''s backing you and waiting patiently for you to act.

6pts adrift or not, a 13 match unbeaten run, a slump and survival by 3 points, quite simply so far so good. His objective when he came in was (and it looked bleak) "Keep this club in the division." That at the moment is what he should be judged on.

As for his objectives this yr, the dreamers will want promotion and the realistic ones will want stability (Top 10). Which one are you? Im guessing the dreamer!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

6pts adrift or not, a 13 match unbeaten run, a slump and survival by 3 points, quite simply so far so good. His objective when he came in was (and it looked bleak) "Keep this club in the division." That at the moment is what he should be judged on.

As for his objectives this yr, the dreamers will want promotion and the realistic ones will want stability (Top 10). Which one are you? Im guessing the dreamer!

[/quote]

very true.. he was tasked with Keeping us up and he acheived this task.... im hoping we can build on last season and aim for at worst 14th place.. at best 10th place as the slow building continues... Roeder wont be expecting to take us up this year.. but his signings this summer and in January will be an indicator of his long term goal for the club

jas :)

To early to fully judge yet cause we need stability but I''ve not been impressed since the end of January - Tinkering with a team and formation that was working well, poor loan players releasing the still good enough Hucks makes me sense that Roeder will not do it!

Hope he proves me wrong!

[quote user="scott"]

To early to fully judge yet cause we need stability but I''ve not been impressed since the end of January - Tinkering with a team and formation that was working well, poor loan players releasing the still good enough Hucks makes me sense that Roeder will not do it!

Hope he proves me wrong!

[/quote] Ithink you sum it up for us all. A lot of what we did formation wise after to run left us all saying why? But credit were it''s due. We all want him to do well. But nobody is above reproach in football. Time will tell.

[quote user="scott"]

Hope he proves me wrong!

[/quote]He tinkered with the team formation in order to accommodate the return of Hucks  - something that the great majority of Canary fans (myself included) had been clamouring for. I love Hucks as much as the next man, but it seems to me that you''re criticising Roeder for including him, while also criticising him for letting him go... Having said that, I largely agree with you: I think we will struggle. Not because of Roeder, but because he will find it very difficult to attract the players he wants to the club. If he just needed a couple, that would be achievable, but I reckon we need five quality players just to be able to punch our weight...and I can''t see where they are coming from...unless of course there are some outstanding poker players on the board...

mr average

infact he is boring, very boring

but......

boring isnt always bad! mr.mowbray is most boring person to listen/watch as a manager yet look what he has done at wba

Roeder tinkered with the team in order accomdate Hucks? - Really?

Roeder played a formation with one widfe player during our 13 match unbeaten of which Hucks played in quite a few of them games!

No Roeder tinkered from the end of January when he decided play loanees Henry, Gibbs, Pearce and Bertrand of whom only the last 2 were any good and even then they replaced players who didn''t deserve to be dropped. This tinkering with a working formation and line up had the effect of turning a team looking capable of a top 10 finish into one that only stayed up after beating a disinterested QPR team in the last home game of the season. I think Roeder done this to earn brownie points of the respective clubs so in the future we can call on them again for loan players but it was very frustrating to watch at the time!

Otherwise I agree with the rest of your post and whil I respect Roeder for turning us around after looking like cannonfodder in October I still feel the signs don''t look good for Roeder being any good!

One way or another Roeder will not be manager of NCFC by Christmas... Mystic Smudger can reveal all... [;)]

He will either walk or be sacked, while those in the boardroom appoint another messiah and get let off the hook yet again.

As you were brought up in Leicester smudge, you would know all about losing managers wouldn''t you ?   [;)]

[quote user="Crikey..and with the outside of his foot"]
It''s interesting to note how many posters on here blindly support Roeder and rubbish any poster who dares to display any criticism of him. There''s no doubt that Grant was a disaster but why do people praise Roeder as though he is some sort of Messiah ? Sure, he was the manager who "guided" the club to safety but many other managers could have done the same. 
[/quote]I think we''re the only club to stay up having been on 8 points in November.  So no, your point here isn''t correct.

[quote user="lappinitup"]As you were brought up in Leicester smudge, you would know all about losing managers wouldn''t you ?   [;)][/quote]

hehehe nice one Lappin... I take my hat off to you... that made me smile... [:D]