signed him for £125,000 and he was a regular in the side for four years

under Pulis and Boskamp before he opted for a return to Norwich last

summer in a deal that is believed to have cost Norwich £410,000, a fee

that was reduced because of a previous sell on clause.Now aged

27 he has played over 340 league games for the two clubs and is

believed to be one of the players that Owen Coyle has made an offer

for. It looks as though we will face competition from both Charlton and

Crystal Palace for his services.

I think Rustys one of the few players who had a decent last season - wouldn''t want to see him leave frankly.  Then again if we needed to rid of Lewis for £400,00 then maybe a half mil offer will be too good to turn down.  Hope not.

wouldn''t be surprised - obviously got frustrated at the end of last season - especially when left out against west brom??? or was it qpr...one of those - both must win games.writing on the wall time...

3 sides all flitting round the playoff places.. 2 have got to be fancied for promotion next season too.... Yep.. lets sel one of our best players for sod all money! we should demand 1 million at least.

jas :)

Russell was one of our best players last season so selling him for £500,000 would be a silly move!

Russell also has a lot of affinity for the club and it was ridiculous seeing him on the bench when ''Bambi on ice'' Keiron Gibbs was picked in front of him.

Russell is a better player than the guy he replaced Etuhu who we sold for the extortionate price of £1.5M - Thats the sort of figure I''d want if we were to sell Russell!

If there''s money involved, we will sell, thats what hard up/broke clubs do best!.............and Norwich under our board, excell in this.

Rusty''s one of our better players in an already thin squad..............so yeah, lets sell him............it makes perfect sense!.   [:|]

[quote user="scott"]

Russell was one of our best players last season so selling him for £500,000 would be a silly move!

[/quote]

If that would be silly, what does that make releasing Hucks on a free?

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Rusty''s one of our better players in an already thin squad[/quote]

Spot on for once Wiz. Russell was pretty good across most of last season and always gave his all, even if he wont make a Premiership player as long as he has a hole in the thing he sits on.  The sort of player you need in your squad at this level -think Andy Hughes with a bit of ability and talent thrown in the mix.

you wont be able to buy a midfielder better than rusty or of the same ability for £500k. would be a silly move and end up costing the club more to replace him!

[quote user="The Colonel"]you wont be able to buy a midfielder better than rusty or of the same ability for £500k. would be a silly move and end up costing the club more to replace him![/quote]When has that ever stopped us..

[quote user="The Colonel"]

sadly you are right!

more worryingly would be, if we sold him and didnt replace him...

[/quote]Not unheard of either lol!

[quote user="The Colonel"]

sadly you are right!

more worryingly would be, if we sold him and didnt replace him...

[/quote]No we have a replacement lined up already. Infact he was "playing" for leeds yesterday...

If Russell goes it would be the last straw for me and this club, i''d just... stop caring,  us fans turn out week after week after week only for the board to turn around throw it back in our faces by selling our best players and not replacing them.

I''d rather go a few extra miles and watch Peterborough than have carry on being taken for a mug by our board.

[quote user="scott"]

Russell also has a lot of affinity for the club and it was ridiculous seeing him on the bench when ''Bambi on ice'' Keiron Gibbs was picked in front of him.

Russell is a better player than the guy he replaced Etuhu who we sold for the extortionate price of £1.5M - Thats the sort of figure I''d want if we were to sell Russell!

[/quote]

If you seriously believe that Russell is a better player than Etuhu then surely there will be bigger and better offers that Burnley. Etuhu went to the Premiership.

Has anyone noticed that the season after Russell leaves, the team wins automatic promotion...

Left Norwich 02/03 - Norwich promoted 03/04

Left Stoke 06/07 - Stoke promoted 07/08

(Leaves Norwich 07/08 - Norwich promoted 08/09???????????????????????)

I think we far more likely to gain promotion with him than without him, we don''t have Gary Holt & Damien Francis this season, which made his leaving much more easier.

[quote user="ACL10"]Rusty is far better than Etuhu IMO.[/quote]

It''s hard to call for me. I wouldn''t say either could be far better than the other, but as I have said before if you could make their best attributes into one player he would be a hell of a good player.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s hard to call for me. I wouldn''t say either could be far better than the other, but as I have said before if you could make their best attributes into one player he would be a hell of a good player.

[/quote]I would have thought Rusty is the type of player GR likes, hard working, tough tackling 100% sort of player - then again who''s to say who''s pulling the strings at Carrow Road?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Agree with that.  Etuhu has more talent, Rusty makes more of what talent he has.  An Andy Hughes/WLY hybrid would have been a good one.  Hughes work ethic with McVeigh''s footballing ability.

[quote user="The Colonel"]you wont be able to buy a midfielder better than rusty or of the same ability for £500k. would be a silly move and end up costing the club more to replace him![/quote]  Bell of Luton is one name that springs to mind.

[quote user="ACL10"]

If Russell goes it would be the last straw for me and this club, i''d just... stop caring,  us fans turn out week after week after week only for the board to turn around throw it back in our faces by selling our best players and not replacing them.

I''d rather go a few extra miles and watch Peterborough than have carry on being taken for a mug by our board.

[/quote]

well if you can just change clubs like that then your hardly a surporter anyways are you get a grip man

Didn''t say i''d stop supporting the club... i said i''d go watch my football elsewhere.

[quote user="CaptnCanary"][quote user="scott"]

[/quote]

If that would be silly, what does that make releasing Hucks on a free?

[/quote]

Totally ridiculous and it is!

Russell is better than Etuhu cause he has more good games than bad games. Etuhu could turn it on but only 10 times a season!

Russell will run through walls for City, Etuhu couldn''t be arsed half the time!

I did hear a rumour that there had been a bit of a "falling out" between Russell and Roeder towards the end of the season - heard via the friend of a friend route so no idea if reliable. It was mentioned round the time of Hucks being released so it may be just a load of anti-Roeder nonsense. Same source has said that Shackell is also on his way out. Can''t say I believe it myself. We are hardly in a position to be selling off any of our squad when we only have about 9 players!

What i`d really like to know is how a club like Burnley with 10,000 gates can go around bidding decent money for decent players season after season.  No parachute payments and no big player sales in recent years that i can recall.  Preston (gates of about 12,000) are after Jones of Derby for £1million which would give them three million-pound players in their team.

And before someone gives it the "wealthy board members" line, so have we- not that it seems to be doing us any good.